Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recording guitar and syncing with video

• 03-01-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi there

this may have already been posted on boards but didnt find anything on it.
    I am a complete novice when it comes to recording - but basically I have read the sticky thread 'recording for beginners' and have a sort of general idea of what i need. I play acoustic and classical guitar so I will only be recording 1 instrument - I realise I need 1) a mic (will probably go for RODE NT1A condensor (seen on amazon for about 220 euro) 2) mic stant 3) decently powerful laptop (4Gb ram intel i5 processor) 4) DAW - maybe go for free software - audacity or Reason 5) headphones or speakers/monitors and lastly external soundcard/audio interface - thinking of mayby Edirol or Focusrite 2i2 or Sapphire (not sure yet about that - so from what ive read - that should be all I need for near professional studio quality recording of guitar in home studio

After all that I come to the question I have - how do I record video with that -
    I have looked at some guitarists - classical or fingerstyle on youtube and the quality of their recordings is amazing - if I wanted to achieve something similar - how did they sync the audio and video together? I have a cheap logitech c3000 (i think) webcam - this is adequate for video as the audio is the most important component - Can anyone shed any light on this please?
    I have no desire to be a sound engineer - or expert on audio recording just get the best possible sound and video and that they sync - I prefer to be playing guitar and be as good as I can - rather than spending my time on "technical" matters like sound recording which takes away from playing but it is a necessity. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Any decent video recording ap will let you set your camera as video input and your audio interface as sound input. So you shoot video and sound at the same time! You don't do any sync because you're capturing reality.

You probably won't need a DAW if you position the mic properly, because that will get you a good sound. But if you do need to do any audio processing Reaper is more appropriate than Reason or Audacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Hi thanks for that

can you give me an example of a good video recording app I can use in conjunction with my webcam?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Hi there

just wondering if anyone can recommend a good video editing application so that I can choose webcam as video source and audio device as audio input?

Advertisement