Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Season in Review

Options
  • 03-01-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Pittsburgh Steelers:

I have to start by saying that I was surprised that The Steelers fell this far too me and I was delighted that they did. They maybe aging but they have stars in all the right positions and as I found out they drafted really well last summer.

Players who are not household names like Rainey, Spence, Adams and DeCastro all plaid their part this years and will feature heavily next season.
    I had mixed feelings coming into this season.

I knew I had a tough schedule and I would be playing players I had never played before and the people I did play in the past I knew were good. And most of it was before my first divisional game!!

Take yourself back to the opening of the season and my opening 3 games were against The Broncos (Perrin), Jets (Danger “but not so much cause I screwed up my wrist” Dave) and the Raiders (Ibmax, remember him?) So yeah I was not looking forward to it. I would also have to play the 2 superstars of our league; Berty and Ben, although they have “weaker” teams, are looking very likely to face off in another Superbowl. (Yeah Dave, that was a dig). And then players who on any given day could beat me and I could beat them. I was thinking I will be lucky to get to 8-8.

The season started brightly with a win over The Broncos, but was followed with a crushing lose to The Jets. Luckily Ibmax dropped out so it was a win against the cpu Raiders and we were 2-1 heading into the bye.

Post bye we got on a bit of a run beating The Eagles, Bengals and a close game that should have been the other way around against the Titans. It was one of those games that if you season is going well goes your way. Heli out played me but threw crucial ints and I scraped by.

Next was The RGIII love in. This game was such a pain. We had connection issues and ended up playing 8 quarters of football over 2 nights. The most annoying thing was each of the game that we got disconnected I was hanging with Ben and the game that counts is the game littered with mistakes. I still convinced that The Commish scouted me over those 2 disconnects and cause them when I was getting on a roll. Once he figured how to play against my defence (avoid Polamalu) he allowed the result to stick!! Record 5-2.

We were able to get back to winning ways against, my old arch rival from M12, Empacher’s Giants (not only is he my rival he is using my team!!!!) and then another hammering at the hands of Berty’s Chiefs. 6-3

I went on holidays then and left my assistant A Pilot in charge and to be fair, him and the team did me proud. Running the high flying Ravens close and beating the Browns. 7-4

Biggest game of the season next: The Ravens. The Ravens GM passed the chance to play the cpu and waited until the last day of the week to play me. I won what was a close game which put us tied at the top of the division. All I had to do was win out and hope the Ravens slip up and he had to play The Redskins. Oh wait my poxy schedule!!

I was robbed of a chance of revenge over another onldM12 foe as Paully had left so it was the cpu Chargers and onto my first and last indoor game of the season away to Dallas. It was another of those games where I would have won had things been different. But The Steelers left Big D with a big L.9-5,

Still close at the top of the North.

Last 2 weeks and it’s against division rivals who want to play spoiler, but it doesn’t pan out like that and The Ravens loose, so heading into my last game against the Browns, so stars are rested after Mike “running back killer” Mac ends Chris Rainey’s rookie season as he is 40 yards short of the 1,000 yard mark. You will pay Mac!!!

Regular season 11-5

Onto the play offs and it’s against the Ravens….again….as if we won’t play each other enough in this league!! An inspired free agent pick up in the form of Jerious Norwood proves to be the difference and he rushes for 150 yards and another 100 receiving and 3tds marks an impressive debut.

This was my first play-off win in the BFL. Having been one and done in my first 2 appearances. I avoided being The Tony Romo of the BFL.:D

Onto The Jets and this one does not go well. Knowing the Jets coach quite well and having played him a lot I know he hates multiple receiver sets and can’t be given a 2 score lead. And for the first half all is going to plan but it all goes arse above face in the second half and a handful of pick later and I’m shut out 36-0. The Jets GM is heard saying that The Steelers GM’s pain sustains him but then karma swings a wrecking ball into his wrist. 1-1 Dave…. Sure he can probably play with one handand maybe he can hire someone to audible to his notorious “cover 10” formation but can he beat Berty…

Oh I’m now the Alex Smith of the BFL.:(

I managed to have a QB rating of 104.5, which was the best in the AFC, and Big Ben was the starting QB of the AFC probowl team. Also Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown both had over 1,000 receiving yards a piece. The James Harrison led defence had 43 sacks and 25 ints
    All in all I’m delighted with my season; all my losses came to top players (and BigBadRob ;)).

Looking forward to next season and it’s another horrible schedule. As division winner I play the other winners, The Jets, Chiefs and Jags. Then there is my division, Raven, Browns and Bengals, then The NFC North, Packers, Bears, Lions and Vikings and finally the rest of the AFC South, Texans, Titans and Colts.

Another sweep (or near sweep) of the division would help but is unlikely. The Ravens could have issues if the loose Flacco but then Ray Rice is still a handful. The Browns have millions to spend so it’s likely they will have a better squad and The Bengals are always dangerous when Gresham is on the field.

Here’s hoping for 8-8 again, it worked last time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Great write-up ET, apart from that sly dig in there.

Unfortunately without LM or access to the EA site mine will be much briefer and have a lot less detail/stats.

Started off with a division win in weird matchup vs. the Giants, who would return the favour later on in the season. Went through boring patch of playing CPU and non-mic opponents, few matches stick out in my mind except getting crushed by the Falcons and the Redskins (and getting revenge vs. Kirk Cousins), and playing against the inhuman Jermaine Gresham.
    Finished 8-8, never a threat for a playoff spot. Very up and down season.

Still learning to use these Cowboys, Romo in particular. Finally figured out how to use Dez Bryant, and he went into beast mode towards the end of the season after an adjustment period. Will be good to have Austin back healthy for a full season (touch wood).
    Run game did well all season and Murray finished high in total yards and top 2/3 in rushing TD's. Felix Jones provides a nice change of pace and had the highest YPC of anyone with a decent amount of carries (I think).
    Surprisingly got 3 offensive players on the Pro Bowl team (RB Murray, LT Smith & RG Bernadeau)

Defense is a mess, apart for decent D-Line and great pass-rushing OLB's.
    May lose LOLB Spencer to free agency depending on if my cap can take the franchise tag for him. Stupidly tried to offer him a contract on the EA site (same contract that was accepted in offline franchise I was using to test out CC) and of course when get to Xbox, he is unavailable.

Need to improve secondary, and maybe get a MLB who can cover, or go for more Nickel/Dime formations.

Season 2 schedule
    NFC East x 2
    NFC North
    AFC West
    2nd-place in NFC South (not sure, Saints?)
    2nd-place in NFC West (not sure, Cardinals?)

Going to be another tough slate, will be lucky to get 8-8 again I'd say.

Will miss Week 1 of the season as off on holidays 19-16 January, should be back for week 2 matchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Great write-up ET, apart from that sly dig in there.

'Tis all in good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

Cincinnati Bengals

Picked up Bengals as a solidly rated team with a top notch defense and potential on offense to do a lot of damage. And lost.. a LOT

It was definitely a season of regrets and missed opportunities – and a LOT of turnovers.

I know I didn't do them justice – and honestly gave away a good few games with sloppy play, especially in the red-zone, that should really have been won.

Gresham was a total machine.. MVP of the season for me

It was on defense that the team shone – I cant get the stats up right now but I know that I has a good number of games were held the opposition to less than 200 yards. They were especially good on run defense.

There isn't a heck of a lot I can really say, except next year I would like to settle down and win more than one game against a human opponent – and do better than do 4 -12 for the season overall!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was thinking of doing this myself!

A tough game against the Pats.. i miss a FG and the Pats beat me by 3, enjoyable game. A blow win or Paullys chargers then follows thanks to Rivers throwing 4 pick 6's!

Locker clocks up 450 yards passing.. in a last gasp win over the Lions capping off an incredible come back.
    I take the Texans to OT, however a stupid brain meltdown has me give them the ball and they score, game over.

A solid win over the Vikes but then the Steelers rob me :pac:
    Titans then beat the Bills with spare gas in the tank

Titans get a narrow win over the rookie Big Daddy and then beat the CPU Bears and then follow that up with a win over the Phins.

JAgs then deliver a crusing 41-0 defeat to to the Titans but follow that up with a CPU Texans victory

From here on out the Titans go on a 4 game losing streak including the CPU Jets:eek:

Finished 8-8 and missed the play offs for the first time.

Locker... 4600 yards, 30 TDs, but 44 ints and most of them thrown in the 2nd half of the season. Only 2 fumbles aswell which is good!

My o-line held up well for the 449 pass attempts and only allowed 15 sacks.

C2J, 15 rushing TDs, 1411 yards, average of 88 a game.
    However in some games Johnson was unstoppable in others he couldnt get going. Needs to be more consistent.
    Also up until game 16 or so he'd fumbled 3 times all season, in game 17.. he fumbled 3 times!

However in the air he had 1842 yards from 72 catches and 13 TDs.
    A real threat with his speed.

Rookie WR Wright gets 37 catches, 760 yards and 5 TDs
    Britt has a dissappointing season, 38 catches 656 yards only 2 TDs

Cookie gets 926 yards of 65 catches and 6 TDs.

I am too heavily dependent on C2J when passing thats obvious.
    I will need to trust my WRs more, but i need to play call a lot smarter or i am going to throw a lot of Ints!

On the D, I will make some changes this year.
    Osi and Wimbley were not the pairing i thought they'd be.

My DTs are rookies and impressing but also need a good season this year, I will keep them.

My LBs:

MLB: Experienced James Farrior has been very good and I really am hoping he doesnt retire. If he does Colin McCarthy is the only option I have. So would be looking at a MLB in the draft.

Ayers at LOLB was not that impressive and would be keen to upgrade here aswell.

Witherspoon at ROLB gets 80 tackles, 3 sacks and 3 ints. I dont have much depth behind him though.

At Cornerback a steady year, but at key times i was too open to the pass.

At Free Safety Griffin has had a good year, however at SS it's been poor.
    Babineaux will give up some playing time for the rookie Afalava.

Looking forward to next year after a solid draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

I took over the Colts about half way through and they had lost all their games, done ok won 6 games i think in the end to finish up 6-10, defence was solid enuf for me, lost some games i possibly should've won, inexperience cost me in these games, my offence can mostly be summed up in 2 words COBY FLEENER :D, although Donald Brown gained a good few rushing yards near the end of the season when i figured out the run game.

All in all happy enough with my start to this and we are looking forward to next season, if i manage to get a team together :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Washington Redskins:

I was delighted to post a 14-2 season. Knowing how ****ty my defense is, I didn't really know how it was going to hold up in the league, but thankfully enough, I managed to utilize my two beastly OLBs in Kerrigan and Orakpo (when he isn't injured).

I can only see the post season schedule on the CC site so can't do a detailed one. Games that stick out in my head though are an opening day 17-10 win against the New Orleans Saints, a tight win in Pittsburgh(Several games played in this one :pac: ) and the two losses, 38-35 against the Falcons and a similar scoreline against the Cowboys on the final day, albeit with my back ups in. One frustrating part of my season was a couple of games where I just wasn't concentrating enough, and it is obvious to people if you look at my games, as I accounted for 10 picks in 3 of my games. Outside of that, RGIII is just phenomenal, the chap can make any throw. Already dying to use him again next year, and hopefully pick him up another weapon on the outside, which would complete that offense for me. On Defense, MLB is a huge concern, as Alexander is leaving and it is very likely that Fletcher will retire, with no draft picks in the 1st round of both drafts, it's going to have to be free agency for me to fill that void.

Stats:

Robert "The King" Griffin III: 128.5 Quarter Back Rating, 3677 yards, 42 TDs, 15 INTs, 72% Pass Completion, 3 Rush TDs and that is without playing in week 17.

Roy Helu Jr: 174 rush attempts for 960 yards, 6 TDs, 38 receptions for 381 yards, 5 TDs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lions:

**** season;over now. looking forward to season 2 if it ever arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

The Jets

16-0 what can I say ? The pressure mounts game after game . The steelers and dolphins proved difficult early in the year but a solid run game and stifling defence got me to 3-0

The 49ers looked like a blow out but it was a very difficult game. 3 defensive TDs won me that game. 2 of them coming in the last 4 mins of 2nd quarter . Second half was a case of running the clock and playing good D .

Next the texans . A punt fest of the ages , eventually winning 20-7 was a real trench battle with the team with the least turn overs the winner. Gang green headed to foxboro 6-0

The jets won 41-14 with the offense finally being the strongest unit in a game. After a game against the CPU dolphins I went into the bye at 8-0.

The NFC west gave me to tough matches. The rams and the cardinals both played tough hard football again it was my defence that squeezed out turnovers for short fields . I really can't sing the praises of both new coaches enough, they both came in with game plans and tough D . The pats came to New York and the D bailed me out again allowing me to get a W.

12-0 heading to Jacksonville . What a game ! I only passed for 20 yards but rushed for over 300 yards. The jags pass D was excellent ! Could do a thing but with the formation set up it allowed for big runs for Greene. Mikey really did control the ball and refused to turn the ball over. OT loomed but a failed 2 point conversion but an end to that. Top game and top player . Jets win 27-25

I couldn't play against the titans but some how the titans lost !?!?? Allegations of match fixing and promises of kebabs were ignored ...

2cpu games and 16-0 . Out of my 16 games 6 were CPU. So I certainly didn't have the hardest Schedule but every human game was tough ,,,, except for the Steelers game , that was far to easy (it is fun to do this etloveslsd)

The play offs saw my D really pressure Big Ben . An unfortunate turnover for the steelers late in the 2nd killed it for ET.

So far so good. I've never gotten to the AFC championship game before . So looking forward to a battle with Berty !

Stand out players ?

Sanchez was above average . With a QB rating of 103 but 22 INTs.

I ran Greene into the ground was the only RB I trusted and hr finished with 1993 yards 20 TDs and an average of 5.4 per carry . Wish I had Danny Woodhead tho :(

My passing game was sketchy . Put Keller at TE was my security blanket Stephen hill my rookie WR should be a force next year . The best part of my offense has been my O-line ! Only allowing 15 sacks ! Boom ! Each one of my linemen went to the pro bowl ..

Now for the Defence ! Yes it win me most of my games . Making the offense work (which is a worry)

My Olbs in maybin and pace created pressure with 21 sacks between them. Revis with 18 INTs ! I found moving him around the field caused opposing offenses massive problems . LaRon Landry was pivotal for my defensive scheme , he played at a great level . 4 INTs , 5 FF , 2 FFR.

My review ?

Offense ain't great I need to run it down teams throats.

Defence ? I don't think I could be playing it at a higher level right now . I would like to thank Berty for early in the season , we sat down and discussed strategies and philosophy's and its paid dividends. The other person who's helped me out his Goonertaff on maddenpfl . His knowledge his unbelievable !

I'd also like to say the level of play has really improved , some of the rookie coaches are making real rumblings in there divisions !

Just look at the Bucc's /Cards/Rams/Colts/jags ! Ugh and the Vikings looking at the stats that he's been able to get with AP I'm glad I'm in the AFC !

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I would like to thank Berty for early in the season , we sat down and discussed strategies and philosophy's and its paid dividends. The other person who's helped me out his Goonertaff on maddenpfl. His knowledge his unbelievable !

What about Jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

etloveslsd wrote: »

What about Jesus?

I sent Jesus to the Jags ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Falcons

Overall a mediocre season for the Falcons! Early on, the season started well. A week 1 loss to Berty was quickly forgotten about with an OT victory against my arch rival, Matthew. A victory against the Redskins really gave me a lot of confidence moving forward and I was competing for the top spot in the NFC South. However, losses to the Saints and various other teams made it tough for me to reach the playoffs. A loss to the Buccs in week 17 guaranteed that I would not be making the playoffs.

Overall, my offense was good and my pass game was excellent, near the top of the league. The run game suffered this year and I'm thinking of giving Turner the boot in favour of JaQuizz Rodgers as he played quite well for me this year.

My pass D was terrible and we gave up a lot of big plays. With 2 of my starting corners injured for the season I really struggles on the outside. Hopefully next year with 3 80+ corners, I can improve in the pass game.

As far as the draft goes, I think I'll be looking at TE or O-line as I'd expect Tony G to retire this season. My O-line was terrible in both the run game and in protecting Ryan so there'll have to be some changes made there as well.

So, a season of mixed results for me, would have liked the make the playoffs but oh well, roll on season 2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I sent Jesus to the Jags ...

And we embraced him as a Quarterback and made him part of the family. :)

What a season it was for the Jags. Starting out, I haven't really been playing Madden online at all before this, so I said to myself I wanted at least an 8-8 season, what I got was a 14-2 season and a hell of a lot of experience.

It all started in pre-season, actually before that, playing Paully and Perrin in the Boards community to see where I stood with the Jags, and it was after Paully gave me a good beating with the Chargers, I played Perrin and tried out a new defensive scheme... And won 32-0. So I got my defence in order, the next job was to find someone who could throw a pass!

Tebow has been brilliant for the Jags. While I haven't been using him on the run much at all (have been more in the last few games), his "clutch" trait has single handedly won me a few games. The scariest moments of the year were last min wins against Neko Chan and Nelbert. Neko and the Bengals played a blinder against me, but Tebow hit a game winning throw to MJD for 35 yards as the clock hit 0. And against Nelbert, my defensive MVP Jeremey Mincey picked off a flat in the end-zone with 20 seconds left and me ahead by 6! Linebacker52 and the Bears also were very unlucky against me.

At the end of the season I got 2 lessons courtesy of Dave and Berty. While the game against Dave was close, it didn't feel that way, and Berty just played a great game against me, I learned a lot from those two and hope to close the gap next season.

Gordon Bombay has done an excellent job as head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

Finishing 6 - 10 it was was my first season with a losing record. Although the record should have been alot worse.

Stupid interceptions cost me, but all in all hapy with the season. Have two players going to the Pro Bowl.

Have an ok draft pick should be higher but wins at the end of the season but an end to that.

Highlight of the season: Sacking RG3 bout 7 times in my second game with Santry.

Plan for next season: Injure RG3 and retire from the bounty money i get from the other members of the league.

As the Browns say aim for the knees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Chiefs 13-3 regular season and now in the Superbowl after winning through the playoffs.

My 3 losses were early in the season. I think one of my losses were against someone who has now left ( open to correction on this but I know I was deservedly beaten )

Raoul and his Saints ripped me apart, just could not stop his run game. Matthew and his Panthers, could not stop his passing. I was well beaten in both games but I as I always say you learn more in your defeats than you do do in victory and that was definitely true here. Since then my Run D has improved dramatically and my Pass D is also much much better. Paid off in the playoffs when I was able to shut down a great passing team ( Patriots ) and a great running team in the Jags.

In previous Maddens with the fantasy drafts I had fantastic teams. The Chiefs had not a huge amount going for them much really except youth. If this was a 5 year franchise they would be awesome. They have a great HB, a decent line, an average QB and receivers who treat the ball like soap and keep droppping it. Defence started ok but improved somewhat by XP though the season to be half decent now.

Without doubt my finest ever madden achievement is getting to this Superbowl in a league where the standard has improved hugely. I should not have beaten the Jets however and need to work more on my passing.

Not too hopeful of my chances against Ben in the Superbowl as his record in M13 is absolutely incredible but you just never know....for now I am just thrilled to have got this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

New team, new game. Had to change all my tactics drastically for the second year in a row. Have to say I'm glad at how my tactics for the year have panned out and I fancy more of the same next year, but wayyyyyyyyyyy less Jonathan Stewart. 12-4 with a signature win against Berty in the regular season. Only team that really frustrated me was the Saints. Not nice to be hammered, even with the division clinched.

Get to the playoffs and up against the Bears who had improved from their early season struggles. I was far too conservative on offense. All through the year I came up against teams that beat themselves by throwing the ball to my defense and often letting them run it back for 6. I scored a touchdown after 2 interceptions by my defense but that was it because I simply ran the ball too much. A crushing score on 3rd and goal from the 17 put the Bears up, and Armanti Edwards appeared to be really getting open down the field on the next drive but Cam didn't put enough air under it and Urlacher dragged it down with only a few minutes left. Cutler kept converting and that was pretty much it apart from a heart in mouth moment for Paddy when he fumbled on a sack, but he converted on third and long just after. Game over. Losing didn't bug me as much as it usually did because I knew I didn't have the form to win it all.

Overall, what I'm happy with:
    • Defense. Really did it all except for the Saints game at the end of the year. Lots of picks, sacks, touchdowns and timely plays.
    • Return game. Joe Adams scoring 5 return touchdowns this year, big plus.
    • Leading the league in yards per attempt passing.

What I didn't like:
    • My playcalling. Too conservative.
    • Decisions with Cam. 21 picks unacceptable.
    • Choking. 4 of my 5 total losses were one score. Not one of my wins (I think) was by less than 14 points

I thought this year would be a disaster, but I feel I did well enough and can push on to next year. I have Dave, Santry, and Raoul x2 so I should get a good enough idea of whether or not I have what it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cleveland Browns 6-10

Which is daaaycent I suppose.
    But disappointing as I was 4-1 at one stage and I thought I was playoff bound.
    The Dawg Pound ain't happy, they were booing in my last home game.

I missed about 6 games overall and my assistant A Pilot is not the best.
    Won't happen next season

Hero
    Joe Haden my man!
    Revis wishes he was Joe Haden. :p

Honourable mention to Trent Richardson and my Oline.
    Despite my losing record T Rich was 5th in rushing yds at one stage

Donkey
    Greg Little needs to be tossed into Lake Erie
    Tall, physical reciever, well able to get open but he can't catch the ball!!
    Which is kind of important for a WR :mad:

Underrated player
    Ben Watson Tight End
    Hands of gold!
    His catch on the goaline in triple coverage against the Chiefs was a thing of beauty. :cool:
    Bailed me out on 3rd down conversions so many times

Best performance
    It was actually a loss.
    Almost beat the Chiefs and Weedon launching longs bombs and burning their secondary all day.
    I lost the game but to finish close to Berty is an achievment for me. :)

Ate my words
    Made dire threats against RGIII and opened the cheque book for bounty money.
    RGIII threw a pick, hammered my defensive back and forced a fumble.
    To get tackled by a QB is just unspeakable :(

Embarresment
    Reading an argument on boards about running up the score against the CPU and then I lost to the CPU Steelers. :rolleyes:

Plans for next year
    • Poach Flacco, develop my young recievers and pound the rock.
    • My pass rush is an embarrassment, my 4-3 is good against the run but I'm near bottom of the league in sacks.
      Need another cornerback, an upgrade at linebacker and a safety.
    • Dish out some pain
      Chris Rainey knows what I'm talking about :pac:
    • Go Dream Team with my 45 million in cap space!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Raoul

Season started and ended the same way and the same way a lot of my seasons have ended in the Boards franchise. A defeat to Santry :(.

First game was against Santry, contained his offence pretty well but was unable to convert good drives and good field position into TDs. The exact same reason I lost to him in the conference final.

Had some really good games this season, beating Berty was a highlight and probably one of the best I played all season, no mistakes offence or defence.

My luckiest win was against Matthew in our first divisional game. One score in it, in the last minute (I think), and Matthew let Lance Moore waltz past his coverage to catch a long bomb from Drew Brees. I also have to mention beating Matthew in our second game (can't find the score but it was comprehensive) was another highlight mainly due to all the trash talk that Matthew was doing at the start of the season about how he always beats me and I seem to play crap against him. But I think that I taught him a few things about his team in that game.

Two of the toughest games I had this year were against Perrins Broncos and then the Tampa Bay Buccs who stopped my clean sweep of the division and prevented me from finishing top of the division, just couldn't do much against either of these and both played really well. I was very surprised the Broncos didn't do more this year.

For next season, I plan to utilise Darrren Sproles more, he was unbelievable in the playoffs and teams couldn't handle him. This is where I went wrong a lot of this season, my passing plays were too obvious when I was passing too much. So hopefully with a good run game next year, Brees will be able to have a great season.

I have already started devising my game plan to beat Santry. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Short Review.
    Man I was a mess at the start of the season,on offense I was pass only really to such a degree I dropped my starting HB Mcgahee for something like 5 games and on defense I was taking control of players and constantly going for interceptions with cb/safetys which didn't work out so well.
    Wake call came in week 6 after 4 losses in a row(although I think I had game against a cpu team in there somewhere) I got absolutely hammered by PaullyD to make it it 5 losses in a row.
    Lucky enough my bye week was then which give me time to sort out alotta stuff and get my act together.
    For the remainder of the season I played pretty well I thought and either won or lost depending on the luck on the day.
    The only games where I weren't really competitive were the Berty Bowl games.

Highlights:
    Von Miller being an absolute machine,12 sacks may not be the highest but he also had 74 tackles,24 of which for a loss(my only pro bowler too)
    The one game where I managed to get my offense going,Manning ended with a QB rating of 153.9
    Managing to beat Raoul on my first gameback after the bye week,showed that I had sorted alot of things(although luck was with me on the day)
    My defense:After the bye week I was pretty happy with it,enjoyed playing defense more than offense

Downers:
    God those first 6 weeks were a mess.
    Offense:I continually struggled throughtout the season getting it going.
    The Berty Bowl: Despite knowing a good few times that the run was coming,being unable to stop it,that frustrated me no end.Run D will have to be drilled again in the off season.
    Losing Thomas for 5 games didn't help a an already stuggling offense
    Alot more downers but those were the main ones.

Next Season:
    Really tempted to go upgrading the defense even more even though my offense is where I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

A resurgent Jim Moonbeam had a successful first year as Packers head coach.

Aside from a serious upgrade (was the Chiefs in Madden 12 and didn't win a single PvP game!) I feel I've improved dramatically as a player.
    Practice a lot after M12 and in the build up to the league starting in M13

I'm far more comfortable calling generic formations and making adjustments on both offence and defence based on what I see and expect on the other side of the ball.(I play a lot of 2-4 and 2-3 in the box type plays partly cause of how good my CBs were tackling).
    This has resulted me in rarely calling full on blitz on defence and allowed me to have the highest team interception total in the league (I think), with a lot of variance in my man / zone coverage and how good my CBs have been (especially in man coverage) being the biggest factor.

On offence this has allowed me to run the ball, something I'd never focused on in Madden before with Benson totalling 1599 yards for the season (I remember the total cause it was 1 yard short of his 10k XP goal!!!)

Negatives would be losing an epic 3 hour playoff showdown with the Saints, and Rodgers interception total. He's so good it made me overconfident and I made some stupidly ambitious throws as a result.

Season 2 plans;

Resign some key players
    Upgrade O-Line
    Keep up the good work running the ball as it made PA very effective for me.
    Be a bit less stupid throwing the ball.

.............. Win Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I think I deserve some credit if you actually hold that interceptions record.:D
    I don't have a in depth report. I'm better than last madden, calling more changes on field is making a bit of a difference, I'm slightly better offensively as I'm scoring more points. On D I'm struggling to prevent yards but do ok nearing the red zone. Good amount of sacks which should continue just need to stick to the game plan more and try to make it to the playoffs again..and hope not to get any tosses to the hb intercepted! All in all a pleasing enough season with a couple of big defeats and as many unlucky ones(bears/saints). Hoping to push on with some good draftees.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

madalig12 wrote: »
    I think I deserve some credit if you actually hold that interceptions record.:D
    I don't have a in depth report. I'm better than last madden, calling more changes on field is making a bit of a difference, I'm slightly better offensively as I'm scoring more points. On D I'm struggling to prevent yards but do ok nearing the red zone. Good amount of sacks which should continue just need to stick to the game plan more and try to make it to the playoffs again..and hope not to get any tosses to the hb intercepted! All in all a pleasing enough season with a couple of big defeats and as many unlucky ones(bears/saints). Hoping to push on with some good draftees.:pac:
    Sam Shields' thank you card is in the post....

Advertisement