Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mastiff (english mastiff)

• 03-01-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

anyone any experience as a owner or previous owner of a mastiff , it would probley be a fair while before i would be in a situation to get one but its always good to hear from other owners . I have been reading about them just want to hear some 1st hand experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I just done a quick Google search and found Mastiff Forum.com. And there's an English Mastiff section there. You'll probably find loads of info just browsing through it, or you could set up an account (should only take 2 mins) and ask for advice there. Everyone on there will have specific knowledge of that particular breed so I'm sure you'll find all you need. Good luck with the dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

My brother had a bitch, lovely dog, was great around my nephews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

I had one for 5 years what kind of info are you looking for??

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

racso1975 wrote: »
    I had one for 5 years what kind of info are you looking for??

just general info
    how have previous owners found them as pets
    how much work is involved with them
    how much food do they eat (im guessing alot)
    what sort of personality do they ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A friend of mine has one. She's a lovely dog, good with other dogs, and very patient with children. They take as much work as any dog, but eat less than you'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mannequinhands

kylith wrote: »
    A friend of mine has one. She's a lovely dog, good with other dogs, and very patient with children. They take as much work as any dog, but eat less than you'd think.

i should have worded that better i do realize all dogs take work

I know what you mean, don't worry. You won't have much to worry about in the way of grooming, but they shed pretty constantly (I have two wire haired terriers I thought were bad, but the hair falls off the mastiff like snow). Be prepared to mop the inside of the jowls every time the dog eats, drinks, or smells something yummy. You'll also be cleaning dribble off of every pair of trousers you own, and your friends and family, for the rest of the dog's life.

If it weren't for the dribble, and the fact that I physically can't fit one in my house, I'd have one. My friend's is very gentle, to the extent that my terriers have her completely henpecked

• Registered Users Posts: 35 twiggy86

We have a French Mastiff (Dogue de Bordeaux) but I think most Mastiffs have similar temperaments.

The above poster was spot on about the slobber, we don't wear any good clothes in our house anymore!! Also he sheds ALOT!! I remember when we were first researching the breed a website said that they need to be with people constantly, that they see being left alone without the family as punishment, this is so true. He literally needs to have human company at all times. We're very lucky that we share a garden with my mother in laws cafe so she goes out & talks to the dogs once or twice an hour.

Otis does eat loads & most days we mix meat in with his dry food as most people recommend he gets meat aswell as dry food.

But despite all the drooling, shedding & neediness he's the best dog ever! Everyone that meets him loves him, random people even take photos of him on the street!! He's amazing with children & so gentle with our schnauzer puppy l (even when the schnauzer is literally hanging from his lip!!). As I said he's a French Mastiff but if the English Mastiff is anything like Otis you can't go wrong if you have a suitable lifestyle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭racso1975

My mastiff advice:

1) Socialize socialize socialize: These dogs are exceptionally loyal to their family and as such if not well socialized with other dogs and people they do not take well to strangers or visitors calling, of the people/animal variety.

2) The rule of thumb is do not walk a puppy any further then you could carry it. Trust me after 12-15 weeks that probably wont be beyond the gate :D there are different view points on this with some authors suggesting not walking them properly until they are fully grown as they are obviously prone to joint issues. The do love playing in the garden particularly with balls however you should note that small balls are obviously a potential choking hazard. Expect to go through a lot of footballs

3) Keep a very close eye on their diet. It is a breed that is very prone to putting on weight very fast. Stick to a good dry food for giant breeds and go easy on the treats.

4) With regards to the drool it was only a particular problem for me after she ate or drank.....especially after drinking. Keep a few tea towels especially for him/her to clean it off. As mentioned they shed 24/7/365 but keeping them well brushed helps a lot with this.

5) They are a big dog that do not realise their size or strength. Expect them to knock stuff over and their tails are deadly to small kids. Be sure to train them not to jump at you. A 10 stone mastiff jumping on you might be ok one day but send you flying the next!!!

6) They need company. They might sleep out at night time but want, need and deserve to be around people.

7) Get pet insurance. Everything is twice as dear as they are twice as big. Remember they only has a life expectancy of 7-10 years.

I hope your mastiff brings you as much joy and happiness as mine did. She was the best decision I ever made and the biggest lose i ever had.

I also insist upon you posting a pic here when you get one. How goes the search?

+1 on the tails! My dogs get whacked in the face something wicked when Big Dog visits. Any ornaments on low tables are sent flying and human shins get terribly bruised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Do mastiffs really only have a life expectancy of 7 to 10 years? Thats pretty shocking.

The shedding and tail-whip go for any big dog to be fair. My GSD sheds almost constantly and her tail has cost me more than a few glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

twiggy86 wrote: »
    We have a French Mastiff (Dogue de Bordeaux) but I think most Mastiffs have similar temperaments.

The above poster was spot on about the slobber, we don't wear any good clothes in our house anymore!! Also he sheds ALOT!! I remember when we were first researching the breed a website said that they need to be with people constantly, that they see being left alone without the family as punishment, this is so true. He literally needs to have human company at all times. We're very lucky that we share a garden with my mother in laws cafe so she goes out & talks to the dogs once or twice an hour.

Otis does eat loads & most days we mix meat in with his dry food as most people recommend he gets meat aswell as dry food.

But despite all the drooling, shedding & neediness he's the best dog ever! Everyone that meets him loves him, random people even take photos of him on the street!! He's amazing with children & so gentle with our schnauzer puppy l (even when the schnauzer is literally hanging from his lip!!). As I said he's a French Mastiff but if the English Mastiff is anything like Otis you can't go wrong if you have a suitable lifestyle..

My friends also had the French Mastiff and he really was a wonderful dog, soooo laid back, great with the kids, visitors, everyone and everything really, he seemed to love just standing in the middle of whatever was going on and enjoying the company.

On the down side he cost them thousands and thousand in vet bills, had every complaint you could, skin problems, joint problems, heart problems and he died at a young age (think he was only 5 or 6), they had taken him in from a relative who 'couldn't look after him any more' so potentially wasn't from the best breeders, but we still talk about him with affection he was a one off, oh and he could snore for England, the whole house would vibrate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

**Vai** wrote: »
    Do mastiffs really only have a life expectancy of 7 to 10 years? Thats pretty shocking.

The shedding and tail-whip go for any big dog to be fair. My GSD sheds almost constantly and her tail has cost me more than a few glasses.

Most bigger dogs have a shorter than average life span like little dogs can go 15-20 years no problem but theres health risks with big dogs like bloat and hip problems so there life can be reduced. Like great danes 7 years is a great achievement for them because there so big. My vets assistance has a 7 year old and she says he's on borrowed time and she doesnt expect much more from him he's slowed down heaps. She had Dobermans and they lived 8-9 years (I have a 2 and half year old now) its a big Dog thing sad too cause they give HUGE LOVE to there owners

Advertisement