Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEM

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi folks
    We have a wireless vodafone modem connected to the landline
    We work a pc and laptop off it. Access to net from laptop is intermittent.
    Seems to have a mind of its own and works when it feels like it!
    We use windows vista on the laptop. Browser is google chrome.
    Windows xp is used on pc with mozilla firefox or google chrome

For laptop Under network and sharing center the following shows:

Access: Limited connectivity
    Connection: Wireless network connection signal strength excellent
    A little triangle with an exclamation mark shows when net doesent work.
    Sorry if the info above is not enough to diagnose the problem but I'm
    not the best with computers.

Any possible suggestions to solve the problem would be much appreciated.
    I've tried turning of/on modem

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PeterHughes

Just to clarify - there is no problem from the PC which is connect by a cable to the Vodafone modem. The only problem is with the laptop wireless connecting to the internet.

Couple of things to investigate

Can you connect to the internet wirelessly with another device (laptop or smart phone) and does the same issue arise.

Is there any significant cause of interference (e.g. large number of wireless hot spots in the area i.e. more than 15 or any other major electrical interference)

Have you contacted Vodafone support to investigate or to see if you can get an new Vodafone modem? Have make and model number of the box ready if you do.

Hope this helps a bit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just to clarify - there is no problem from the PC which is connect by a cable to the Vodafone modem. The only problem is with the laptop wireless connecting to the internet.

Couple of things to investigate

Can you connect to the internet wirelessly with another device (laptop or smart phone) and does the same issue arise.

Is there any significant cause of interference (e.g. large number of wireless hot spots in the area i.e. more than 15 or any other major electrical interference)

Have you contacted Vodafone support to investigate or to see if you can get an new Vodafone modem? Have make and model number of the box ready if you do.

Hope this helps a bit

Have you tried a driver update for your wifi drivers? Let us know the modem number and we can advise. Is Vista kept up to date with Windows update? Vista had some WPA issues that caused weird problems, make sure Vista is on Service Pack 2 and is up to date

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks Peter
    Your correct in saying that there is no problem with the pc connection.
    But this is also a wireless connection and not connected by cable.
    Is there any need to connect it by cable?
    Herself has a smart phone that works fine off this modem.
    We live in the country so I dont think there would be too much intereference
    There are 3 houses that are about 100 meters from us.
    I did say it to vodafone. They are not too sure. I suppose once the modem
    works they dont need to worry too much after that.
    We did have an o2 modem working off this laptop a while back. There wouldnt be a problem with something left installed after using this o2 modem?

Many thanks

yoyo wrote: »
    Have you tried a driver update for your wifi drivers? Let us know the modem number and we can advise. Is Vista kept up to date with Windows update? Vista had some WPA issues that caused weird problems, make sure Vista is on Service Pack 2 and is up to date

Nick

Yoyo
    Thanks for your input. I got your message as I was responding to Peter.
    Model is HG 556a (Home Gateway). Not sure if windows is kept up to date.
    I will check with the missus when She gets home.
    How would I check if Vista is on sevice pack 2?

Kind Regards

Hi Espoo,

Meant the laptop model # sorry :) . Make sure vista is up to date also, I reckon this may be the issue. you can check if Vista is on SP2 by going to start>Rick Click Computer>Properties, it will say Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 under the Vista version, if you don't have either you are not on any service pack!

Nick

• Advertisement

Hi Espoo,

Meant the laptop model # sorry :) . Make sure vista is up to date also, I reckon this may be the issue. you can check if Vista is on SP2 by going to start>Rick Click Computer>Properties, it will say Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 under the Vista version, if you don't have either you are not on any service pack!

Nick

Thanks Nick
    We are getting places now. Its on service pack 1. Is it difficult to upgrade?
    Laptop is a Toshiba. Model no. PSU42E-005003KS

Cheers

Espoo wrote: »
    Thanks Nick
    We are getting places now. Its on service pack 1. Is it difficult to upgrade?
    Laptop is a Toshiba. Model no. PSU42E-005003KS

Cheers

Please check this Microsoft guide on how to check and locate new updates for Vista. To check for a new Wlan driver, check this page out

Nick

Please check this Microsoft guide on how to check and locate new updates for Vista. To check for a new Wlan driver, check this page out

Nick

Nic
    Thanks for that.
    It is currently updating. I will let you know how it goes

Nick

Nick
    I updated the windows, by changing that setting to automatically updating. Now I need to upgrade to service pack 2
    there are 2 options: a) 32 bit 2008 version and b)64 bit 2008 version.
    How do I check whether this machine is 32 or 64 bit? The answer is probably
    staring at me. Does it tell me in device manager or on start up?

Cheers

Just found out She's a 32 bit. So should I go ahead install the 2008 service pack 2?

thks

• Advertisement

Just found out She's a 32 bit. So should I go ahead install the 2008 service pack 2?

thks

This would be the SP2 for you. May take a while to complete the install

Nick

Nick

nice one, thks. Will keep you updated

Nick

Updated to Service pack 2 ok. But still getting the odd break up with reception.
    Might not be as bad as before. Might need to do something with the wlan? In the device manager under network adapters I have 3 as follows

Marvell yukon......
    Microsoft Isatap......
    Realtek RTL 8187B wireless......

Seems to be a problem with middle one as it has yellow exclamation mark beside it. But isn't the 3rd one the one that looks after the wireless internet?
    Properties says this 3rd one is working ok. Again any advice appreciated

Rgds

Updated to Service pack 2 ok. But still getting the odd break up with reception.
    Might not be as bad as before. Might need to do something with the wlan? In the device manager under network adapters I have 3 as follows

Marvell yukon......
    Microsoft Isatap......
    Realtek RTL 8187B wireless......

Seems to be a problem with middle one as it has yellow exclamation mark beside it. But isn't the 3rd one the one that looks after the wireless internet?
    Properties says this 3rd one is working ok. Again any advice appreciated

Rgds

The middle one is nothing to do with the wifi connection. I would try updating the drivers to the ones here (your ones are bottom of the page) and see if things improve. This issue could also be caused by the router (WPA Re-Auth times too short etc.). Look in the vodafone modem for re-authentication time under wireless settings, and set it to the max you can

Nick

The middle one is nothing to do with the wifi connection. I would try updating the drivers to the ones here (your ones are bottom of the page) and see if things improve. This issue could also be caused by the router (WPA Re-Auth times too short etc.). Look in the vodafone modem for re-authentication time under wireless settings, and set it to the max you can

Nick

Thanks Nick
    I have installed realtek wireless lan driver and utility. There were a few different setup icons when i opened the downloaded zip file but think i got the right one.
    We'll see how it goes. I'm trying to find the vodafone modem for re auth time but don't see it. There is no vodafone icon on the laptop like usually there would be. I've also tried to find something on re auth times in control panel?

cheers

Thanks Nick
    I have installed realtek wireless lan driver and utility. There were a few different setup icons when i opened the downloaded zip file but think i got the right one.
    We'll see how it goes. I'm trying to find the vodafone modem for re auth time but don't see it. There is no vodafone icon on the laptop like usually there would be. I've also tried to find something on re auth times in control panel?

cheers

See here for how to access your modems config. You won't find these settings in the control panel, they are specific modem related ones

Nick

See here for how to access your modems config. You won't find these settings in the control panel, they are specific modem related ones

Nick

Seems to be working ok now after installing the driver. May or may not need to look at the re auth times. Too early to say yet. Really appreciate all your help.

Seems to be working ok now after installing the driver. May or may not need to look at the re auth times. Too early to say yet. Really appreciate all your help.

Yeah it could well have been the driver, glad it helped

Nick

Advertisement