Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

eliwallach wrote: »
    Not the point.
    Do it properly or don't do it at all.

On that basis, your friend shouldn't be going for a sub-25 but a World Record. Like, do it properly or don't do it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

On that basis, your friend shouldn't be going for a sub-25 but a World Record. Like, do it properly or don't do it at all.

Seriously?
    This is your contribution?

And who said he was my friend?

And @Plodder who said that it was only one persons time that was missing?

Enough said on this , ye think it's ok, I don't. It's all about expectations and standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Eli, I think you will find that when things go wrong at a parkrun, the people who are most disappointed and upset are
    the volunteers.

I'm a regular parkrunner and volunteer and I've screwed up a couple of times. I've always been amazed at how calm the run directors are In dealing with problems and getting the results out as accurately as possible.

I think it's ok to hold parkrun to a high standard, even if it's free and even if the vast majority of runners don't bother volunteering, placing more pressure on the core group that every event needs to keep going. But if standards slip, maybe you should take it as an opportunity to add your own efforts and expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Not the point.
    Do it properly or don't do it at all.

Not sure if you know how parkrun operates but its usually the case that a volunteer will get a few minutes training on a piece of equipment. So it's not like a paid event with chip timing, where those operating the equipment are professionals, and able to deal with any situation or malfunction. Volunteers do their best to make sure a good service is provided but very occasionally things can go wrong due either to human error or equipment fault.

I think your expectations of 100% perfection are way too high for what is a free fun run. Thankfully the vast majority of the many parkrunners I've talked to over the last 2 years don't take things quite as seriously as you and are forgiving of the very rare occasion that something goes wrong. If everyone had your unforgiving attitude towards volunteers then no one would step forward to volunteer and parkrun would not function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

As someone who had a similar issue with not getting a recorded time back in August in one of the Dublin area park runs I'd like to add my two cent.

I was disappointed at the time not to have my PB recorded (it was both my actual and park run PB by a good 2 mins but I have it on my Nike + anyways). At the event which averages 140 plus runners a week the majority of the volunteers for that week were 11/12 year old kids so that gives an idea how these events are being stretched.
    How could I even dream of complaining?! I sent a mail to the feedback address with my info to see if I could get the results updated but unfortunately not. I had made a mistake also in filling in my details at the event for those who have finisher tokens that do not scan.

The only thing to do is set that new time as your target and get out there to beat it.
    In my case I haven't beat it yet but got within two seconds of it at my home event in Naas a week ago so very happy to have an almost equivalent time recorded on park run.
    If the person was able to get sub 25 this week, he or she can certainly do that again in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement

Two major cock-ups with the results on consecutive weeks at Macroom Parkrun. One guy who had been trying to break 25 mins since Macroom Parkrun started finally managed it in one of these weeks but no record of it for him.
    Things are slipping.

Did the Macroom Parkrun a couple of weeks back.

Came second, so checked the results afterwards purely for my own ego - it's not often I get on a podium! I wasn't there. No big deal, a chance to stretch the legs in a group on a crisp morning and push oneself is always good. I had my stopwatch time anyway, so knew how I had done.

Dropped them an email, they explained there was a few issues, and they sorted it out and put my name in. So posting here in praise of them. I mean, if it was a competitive run and I had paid some entry fee and it was never corrected, I think I might be a very small bit annoyed. But have to give credit to them and their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Finnt wrote: »
    I wonder will 4 laps of clarisford get a bit congested?

Only other four-lap parkrun I did was Comber and it got a bit congested by the 3rd lap but still enough room to pass people. Looking forward to Clarisford.

A few weeks ago at my local run someone forgot to re-set one of the barcode scanners meaning people who didn't run were given times, and people who ran didn't get times. The volunteer team happily added times for those who emailed them. I somehow managed to end up being moved up two places, so wasn't complaining.

While there have been occasions when there might have been a timer malfunction and everyone gets 59:59 or they give you someone else's time (faster or slower) - these are few and far between.

By and large volunteers do a fantastic job, and we are taking part in these runs for free. If things go wrong, there's always next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My regular parkrun is almost a four lapper, it's three laps around a tarmac path and then the last bit you move onto the grass just inside that for a slightly shorter lap. It copes OK most of the time with upto around 200 people doing it. The only times I've noticed any issues are when they have people running pacemaking groups for certain times and you then get bigger groups of people to lap at some points, but it's really not too bad. Just have to take the wide line around people at points.

Another local one is three laps and works a lot better for most of the route, a few less people run it at the moment and the path is less twisty so easier to negotiate your way through when lapping people as you can see the gaps from a long way out and people tend to not switch side of the path unexpectedly...but there is one section towards the end of the lap where you have to run between a series of gaps in a fence and a very tight bend around a flowerbed. Get unlucky with the timing of when you catch people on that and it could get messy.

I got unlucky in Comber with the timing. The course is four laps on a figure of 8 course, so you cross a narrow bridge 8 separate times. I got caught behind someone pushing buggies in opposite directions, but hey, it means I have an excuse to go back there some day.

• Advertisement

I can't post links but Hartstown's page is now live on the official website

"The course starts at the park’s entrance behind Hartstown Community School next to the park’s parking lot. The route heads north towards the all-weather pitch and continues around the entire border of the park in a clockwise direction for its entirety until reaching the starting point once again.

"From there, participants need to do an additional loop around the centre section of the park in order to complete the 5k.
    Follow the route past the all-weather pitch again and take a right on the path between the rows of trees and another right heading south, adjacent to the Woodvale estate.

"Follow the path for about 450 meters and then take a right alongside the railings which will lead you to the finishing line."

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

http://www.parkrun.ie/hartstown/course/
    allow me :-)
    Way to go Hartstown
    Hartstown parkrun starts 15 November 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bouli73

Have to say i think Parkrun is a fantastic idea. I only wish we had one in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

bouli73 wrote: »
    Have to say i think Parkrun is a fantastic idea. I only wish we had one in Limerick.

One in Killaloe, which isn't a million miles away, starting this Saturday (Oct 25th) in Clarisford Park. See FB or the park run site for more details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

One in Killaloe, which isn't a million miles away, starting this Saturday (Oct 25th) in Clarisford Park. See FB or the park run site for more details.

Hi

Is it run on Tarmac or grass?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

From the Clarisford page on parkrun website

The flat course starts at the entrance to Clarisford Park and heads south towards the River Shannon on a woodland road before turning left onto the Clarisford Park trail path and doing 4 anticlockwise laps. On the fourth lap, turn right into the main carpark and pavilion area

who_ru wrote: »
    Hi

Is it run on Tarmac or grass?

Thanks

Did Clarisford in Killaloe today. It is entirely trail path and mostly flat. A few small rises and falls. It is 4 laps so can get congested if you are aiming for 20 or under.
    Lovely park. Really enjoyed today.

bisso wrote: »
    From the Clarisford page on parkrun website

The flat course starts at the entrance to Clarisford Park and heads south towards the River Shannon on a woodland road before turning left onto the Clarisford Park trail path and doing 4 anticlockwise laps. On the fourth lap, turn right into the main carpark and pavilion area

Despite what the website says, it was most definitely a left turn into the car park at the end.
    There was talk after the run today that they might change the course slightly.
    Keith Wood was running today. Joked that the whole "run not a race" idea wasn't for him.

According to FB, Sligo is hoping to start in Doorly Park outside Sligo Town in January 2015. They say: "We have a core committee organised to bring parkrun to Sligo. It will be a free 5k run taking place in Doorly Park, Sligo every Saturday morning. Funding is in place and we are putting together the final touches."

The course map for Ballina can now be found on Google maps. They updated it just a couple of hours ago. Appears to be an out and back starting near Castle Road and running along the banks of the River Moy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

cant see it or any link to it ?

woody1 wrote: »
    cant see it or any link to it ?

I can't post links, but will try my best to explain how to find it.

Go to any existing `course' page - say Ardgillan for example.

Under the course map you'll see "View Ardgillan parkrun in a larger map" written in blue. Click that link.

On the left hand side under the name of the map, it will show you how many views the map has had and when it was created etc. It will say `created by parkrun HQ'. Click that link and it takes you to all maps uploaded recently by parkrun HQ.

Ballina is the most recent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

edisonolmy wrote: »
    The course map for Ballina can now be found on Google maps. They updated it just a couple of hours ago. Appears to be an out and back starting near Castle Road and running along the banks of the River Moy.

What was the route like? Is it on trail?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

edisonolmy wrote: »
    I can't post links, but will try my best to explain how to find it.

Go to any existing `course' page - say Ardgillan for example.

Under the course map you'll see "View Ardgillan parkrun in a larger map" written in blue. Click that link.

On the left hand side under the name of the map, it will show you how many views the map has had and when it was created etc. It will say `created by parkrun HQ'. Click that link and it takes you to all maps uploaded recently by parkrun HQ.

Ballina is the most recent one.

Just posting the link from the above:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=216765682921523600325.0005067ab90c3ea8ea291

Looks like a nice route - along the river and into Belleek woods. Looking forward to trying it.

jfh wrote: »
    What was the route like? Is it on trail?
    Thanks

No idea although looking at the area around Castle Road and the river on Google satellite, it looks like it would have to go through trees, which suggests trail paths.

It appears to start on a gravel track before heading along the river.

I'll miss the inaugural on Nov 22, but hope to get there soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

thats great , thanks
    i run in belleek woods fairly often, ran there at the weekend, hence i was curious about the route, a small bit of it, from the running track to the entrance to the woods is on road, after that its trail, a lot of the main trails have been re-done in the past year and a bit and are hard packed gravel and are nice and level surface , at a guess about 4k of it or thereabouts is on trail, will be a nice run,

Sonia O'Sullivan is going to be running the Bere Island parkrun on Sat Dec 6. Good excuse to get down there, if you haven't already been.

The Ballina event page is now on the official site - no pin on the map as yet.

"Leaving the Ballina AC track we will start our run down towards the soccer pitch with the beautiful River Moy on your right, where we will enter the woods along the main avenue also known as "The Heritage Trail", this takes you to the duck pond where you will hear lots of quacks as you run past.

"Keeping the River Moy to your right as we continue down to where the wood opens out to a big picnic area, and it is here you will see the ruins of the stone ship SS Creteboom (one of 12 ships constructed during the 1st world war for use as tug boats).

"Continuing for another 50 metres we will then take a left which will take us on a small loop before coming back out onto the picnic area again. We will continue our run back up the same way as we came down finishing on the Ballina AC track."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi everyone,

Heading to Dublin next Saturday and thinking of taking in a Parkrun along the way, the two most convenient ones are Girffeen Valley and Waterstown.

I've done Griffeen before and was thinking of doing Waterstown for a change. When I look at recent results there seems to be a large difference in finishing times with Waterstown being the slower of the two.

Is Waterstown a particularly tough course or is it just less competitive?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement