Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ionapaul wrote: »
    I was a tourist in Poppintree this morning; nice course and very enthusiastic group of volunteers! Managed a 2018 PB somehow, didn't feel that fast TBH.

I'm planning on doing Poppintree soon. My mother lives beside the park but she's under the weather at the moment and I'd love to bring her out to see it.

She's in her 70's and walks in the park, but she was telling me when there's no one around to see her she tries to run <3

She was always a warrior and worked up until she was 70 and only told me last night that she only grew old when she stopped working but God love her she's on oxygen now.. Anyway I'll be running Poppintree just as soon as she's mobile again.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

They start abit early, I'm up 5.20am work days, physical job, nearest run is 10 miles away at 9am. 10am I'd go, not a chance at 9am.

vargoo wrote: »
    They start abit early, I'm up 5.20am work days, physical job, nearest run is 10 miles away at 9am. 10am I'd go, not a chance at 9am.

Are you sure its 09:00 and not 09:30?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Are you sure its 09:00 and not 09:30?.

The standard is 9 Maki, only a handful outside Ireland are also 9:30.
    If there was a few on the NI border, there is possibility to do 2 in a day. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are quite a few events with much earlier start times out there, but it's on an event basis depending on the local weather and time of year.. Like 7am in order to avoid the heat of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did Tyrrelstown this morning and its a nice route and quite a fast course though, if you'd no wind like there was on the finishing stretch this morning. Good healthy number of about 50 too this morning so looks like its going well out there too for such a young parkrun.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

I'll remember that so!.. I'm lucky in that the few treks to other runs I've done I done it on the assumption of a 09:30 start time and have never been late (and just lucky too it seems).

Everyday is a school day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

All NI, ROI and Scottish runs start at 9:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Were you 4th?
    Nah, I was 6th today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

All NI, ROI and Scottish runs start at 9:30

Just wait until Brexit .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Nah, I was 6th today.

Haha...sorry. Big fail by the amateur detective in me. I was doing marshal on a corner today and I was hoping to figure out who Burkie1203 from here was as its his local run. I figured he was 6th and the only other Paul had to be you. Great running. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No darndale results for yesterday yet

Did it go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Did it go ahead

No it was cancelled on Friday due to flooding by the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Did it go ahead

No, called off on Friday due to flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Ran in Knocknacarra saturday,my first 'away from home'. Must say it was a really scenic,lot's of hills,although one does get to go down them as well up :) . People were friendly and it was a nice day out :) So too was the Christmas Market later :) .

Everyone thinks 'their own' Parkrun is harder than most,Galway,was probably more challenging than UL,hmm,certainly wouldn't say UL was harder,but yes Galway was scenic and over a much larger area,which was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Did Corkagh parkrun on Saturday, my 2nd visit there. I really really like this course, it's pretty much 1 lap (figure of 8), fairly flat and super friendly but Saturday was the launch of Dublin Sanctuary Runners (www.sanctuaryrunners.ie) and the core team had a fantastic welcome for everyone from the nearby Clondalkin Towers & co. Fantastic to see this initiative take off, started in Cork (embraced by Balllincolling parkrun) and I believe is spreading to Limerick and Waterford(?) now too. Big well done to all involved, some of whom are boardsies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

chinguetti wrote: »
    No, called off on Friday due to flooding.

They had awful trouble with flooding last year with multiple weekends of cancelled runs. It seems to flood with just an threat of rain.

Did Corkagh parkrun on Saturday, my 2nd visit there. I really really like this course, it's pretty much 1 lap (figure of 8), fairly flat

I done the Brain Tumor Ireland run there recently and thought it was anything but fairly flat lol.. That said I'd a rotten hangover too lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

UL has no really long straight stretches,so in this sense it's probably hard to develop speed,very curvy. Crossed the line in 22'10 in Knocknacarra,so was happy about this too,give a reasonable account of myself on my travels :) .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you want a twisty course then check out this one. :)

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/somerdalepavilion/course/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

robinph wrote: »

It has earned its nickname "curly wurly parkrun"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Nah, I was 6th today.

You're a man called Paul????? I always thought you were a woman called Iona. Mind blown!! (You know the way you have an image in your head based on people's usernames).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So Hamsptead parkrun in London didn't go quite as planned.

I left in plenty of time to run up from our weekend accomodation.

I unfortunately ended up on the wrong side of the Heath so was on the West Side when I should have been East.

I ended up practically cross-country through the muck and up the hills frantically searching for the start.

I finally found a volunteer and was delighted. I was still a mile from the start and very late at this point.

The runners flew by and he slotted me in where I could run comfortably.

I enjoyed what I did but as didn't finish the full course I didn't get scanned or a result.

A shame but I did get my long run done.

It is a hilly course and in case you didnt know the Heath is massive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

HelenAnne wrote: »
    You're a man called Paul????? I always thought you were a woman called Iona. Mind blown!! (You know the way you have an image in your head based on people's usernames).
    Ha - don't tell me that you are actually called 'Len' now or something :D I had recently bought some Iona Technology stock before creating my online handle, hence 'iona' made it in there for whatever reason... Spend half my time adding the caveat 'nothing to do with the institute people!' in recent years.

Really hope to try Darndale some Saturday morning in the near future, give it support even if only as a tourist. Am guessing all the rain this morning isn't good in terms of alleviating their flooding issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Really hope to try Darndale some Saturday morning in the near future, give it support even if only as a tourist. Am guessing all the rain this morning isn't good in terms of alleviating their flooding issue.

Was hoping to do Darndale this Saturday as I have something on in Clarehall soon after 10. If cancelled will have a crack at my Collins pb

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliasME

robinph wrote: »

That looks like a April Fools joke. Surely a third lap would have been preferable to that curl? You could probably reduce the out and back bit then too.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Was hoping to do Darndale this Saturday as I have something on in Clarehall soon after 10. If cancelled will have a crack at my Collins pb

I'm barcode scanning in Father Collins this Saturday, I'm coming straight from a 24 hour shift so might still be in an army camo uniform lol.. I'll likely be wearing an olive green coat and well wrapped up, say HI if you wish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I'm barcode scanning in Father Collins this Saturday, I'm coming straight from a 24 hour shift so might still be in an army camo uniform lol.. I'll likely be wearing an olive green coat and well wrapped up, say HI if you wish :D

Army camo and hi-vis - standard issue for maneuvers now, according to Dermot and Dave on Today FM at least :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Anyone know what the Bushy Park Parkrun route is like? If it runs by the dodder, is it not very narrow and slippery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyone know what the Bushy Park Parkrun route is like? If it runs by the dodder, is it not very narrow and slippery?

It starts and finishes on the path by the Dodder, but most of the route is in the park itself. That said, it is still quite narrow and twisty

https://www.strava.com/activities/1336931765

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

It does run by the Dodder but it is a reasonably wide concrete path above the river so not usually slippy. Can be wet in places.

After that it is around the lake and through the woods and finishes back along the Dodder. Its quite a nice, flat run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but just stumbled across a new parkrun that appears to be starting on the 8th December. http://www.parkrun.ie/deerparkcarlanstown/ in meath near kells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I think they are trying a new route at the minute so keep an eye on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

PB 2 weeks in a row. Delighted with life. Deffo down to no pints for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

PB for the 2nd time in 5 weeks and 3rd time under 30 in that span. The wife did her 6th straight. Took another chunk off her PB. Nice mild morning for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Hi guys, looking for advice.

I am 44, overweight, male, and a few months ago I was a total couch potato.
    I started couch to 5k about 10 weeks ago and after about five weeks I attempted a parkrun. I completed it, very slowly in around 35 minutes.

Around that point I gave up the couch to 5k thing and just did a 5k three times a week.

Over the last five weeks I’ve stuck to three 5ks a week, on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. I take it easy on Monday and Wednesday and then aim for a time on the Saturday parkrun.

My times have improved every Saturday, and I’m now down to 29:30 and I’m pretty pleased with my progress.

I have two ambitions.
    1 I want to get my 5k down to a “respectable average” time of around 25 minutes.
    2 Do a 10k in under an hour.

I can only really get out three times a week due to family and work commitments and I wanted to figure out what sort of training I should do during the week to achieve those two goals by around end of March.

I’ve browsed a few sites and the impression I get is that I should do one long run, stretching it by 10% a week from 5k up to 10.

Then my second run I should do 400m intervals to improve my speed.

I like the parkrun so want to keep doing that, as it gives me a real target every week.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

durkadurka wrote: »

I started couch to 5k about 10 weeks ago and after about five weeks I attempted a parkrun. I completed it, very slowly in around 35 minutes.

Around that point I gave up the couch to 5k thing and just did a 5k three times a week.

Over the last five weeks I’ve stuck to three 5ks a week, on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. I take it easy on Monday and Wednesday and then aim for a time on the Saturday parkrun.

My times have improved every Saturday, and I’m now down to 29:30 and I’m pretty pleased with my progress.

I have two ambitions.
    1 I want to get my 5k down to a “respectable average” time of around 25 minutes.

I can only really get out three times a week due to family and work commitments and I wanted to figure out what sort of training I should do during the week to achieve those two goals by around end of March.

I’ve browsed a few sites and the impression I get is that I should do one long run, stretching it by 10% a week from 5k up to 10.

I like the parkrun so want to keep doing that, as it gives me a real target every week.

Any thoughts?

Congratulations on your improvement, you are making good progress. You mentioned training on a Monday and Wednesday, would you consider looking in your area for a running club to train with on those days. This will give you a running group along with extra tuition. January often sees a lot of advertising push from a lot of clubs so keep an eye out.

Look at the results page from your parkrun and you will see some of the club's people run for, this might be a good starting point.

Best of luck, Killarney is a quick 10km if your looking at a run next year.

Try not to worry too much on the times. The important thing is to enjoy the running. The times will come on their own if you keep at it.
    If you can running part of your life then it is easier to keep going that if it is a separate activity. For example can you run into work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I have two ambitions.

Any thoughts?

Congrats on the new great improvement. As others have said don't worry about times but consistent runs along with increasing the distance with your other runs. Couple apps out there which go from 5k to 10k and are free. Sign up to a 10k for say March / April and you will be more than ready

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I have two ambitions.

Any thoughts?

Your times are already respectable because they are your times. First thing you should realise is don't compare yourself to others. It is of course always good to want to better your times but don't be worried about what time is or isn't respectable, just focus on getting fitter and faster at your own pace. Fair play for the progress you made so far and welcome to the wonderful world of running, it will become the best thing you've ever started!!

• Advertisement

I was in your position almost two years ago.

Despite being a competitive Judoka I was 130kgs and un diagnosed type II diabetic.

The whammy came, a blood test for something unrelated showed up elevated blood sugars, more tests etc ~ 'Marto you're type II diabetes, go low carb, lose weight and here's a C25k app 'download and follow that.

Done the C25k, never heard of Parkrun but by chance found it in St.Annes Park and haven't looked back.

Like you my first Parkrun was 35 minutes, when I broke 30 minutes I felt like rocketman lol.

I'd love a 25 min Parkrun too, and I'm getting there with the help of a running group who I met at one of the Parkrun's. We get free coached training, if you're anywhere near Dublin 13/5 or Fingal drop me a PM (Wednesdays is interval day, its a killer but brilliant craic).

Right well I'm not qualified to give advice, but based on my experience when I started running with a group I started quickly getting PB after PB (of course that didn't last forever).. I think the interval training was responsible for a lot of it.

Although I love group training I still try get one solo run in, but I go with a goal. ie I'll set a goal of running for 60-90 minutes and I try my best not look at my speed & distance too much, I can do that after my run.

Running with a GPS watch is great for pacing yourself too.

Has your Parkrun got a Pacer Saturday?. If not try find one which has. Pacer's a great and most will get you your to your goal. I've had some great pacers who really got me going when I've let them know I'm struggling... Anyone here a pacer?.. You're a hero :D

Best of luck and well done on your achievements so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Anybody know the Christmas Day parkrun options this year? Or am I too early?

Bananaleaf wrote: »

Malahide is on so I hear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Bananaleaf wrote: »

https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Thanks for all your comments. My parkrun is Marlay and judging by some of the comments above I’ll try and lengthen one run and also do some intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't think Marley have pacers, but Tymon do on the last Saturday of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Thanks for all your comments. My parkrun is Marlay and judging by some of the comments above I’ll try and lengthen one run and also do some intervals.

as said above, stop watching the times or cut down on watching them big time, you're taking the good out of it and not even realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Darndale postponed until January. A pity really because it could be positive for the area but there is a few bigger events too close really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Waterstown should be on Christmas day, finalising logistics and volunteers at the minute..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Did Waterstown last year. Great set up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement