Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

they don't seem to have posted it up yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The new marlay route has been announced. Just the one big hill at the start. Looks quite fast to me....

10414492_440294582792474_5025801031906578213_n.jpg?oh=61e6b5722d66a3771dfd6e1925bef2ad&oe=559415EF&__gda__=1432621445_b4b7ab5b370c9c81457435418fff37da

a lot of overlap with the old route, as you'd expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭CassieManson

axe2grind wrote: »
    Is this route online anywhere.
    I don't see it on parkrun.ie

Hi I was hoping to do the Marlay Park Run in the next couple of weeks. I was looking at the website and their directions are really confusing. Travelling by bus (no 16) could anyone tell me the best stop to get of at?

Thanks!

Hi I was hoping to do the Marlay Park Run in the next couple of weeks. I was looking at the website and their directions are really confusing. Travelling by bus (no 16) could anyone tell me the best stop to get of at?

Grange Road, outside the main entrance to Marlay Park. It's a 10/15 minute walk through the park to get to the start line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i wonder how many will turn up to tymon on valentines morning in the rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i wonder how many will turn up to tymon on valentines morning in the rain?
    Not sure about Tymon, but I've helped out in Marley on freezing cold, wet mornings and still 200 - 300 turn up.
    Also, single people don't care about valentines or for that matter people who are married for years.:)

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Not sure about Tymon, but I've helped out in Marley on freezing cold, wet mornings and still 200 - 300 turn up.
    Also, single people don't care about valentines or for that matter people who are married for years.:)

haha good point. its just saturday to me :p marley sure has some turn out. i might take a trip down on saturday. tymon got in the 90s both time i went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

gerard_65 wrote: »

Im not single, nor married years and i still dont care about it:D
    Its what, an hour out of the day? You'd want some ball and chain of a partner to deny you that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A Hallmark Holiday? Sure why would that stop anyone doing anything? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

New Ross Parkrun just posted on FB to say they're awaiting the go-ahead and will be up and running shortly after Johnstown Castle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What could be more romantic than a 5K run on Valentine's morning?

Perfect conditions in the end this morning in St Annes. No rain, no wind, 8 degrees with a little sunshine. I started in the T shirt for the first time in a good few weeks.
    Bit slippy would be my only gripe.

Ironically it St Anne's 69th parkrun (to match the day that was in it) as the handsome race director informed us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

In MARLAY the director told us
    this morning that there were a few corners in the first 100 kilometres...caused a bit of a stir .. Interesting new course and whilst it may be a slightly easier course, the amount of technical and sharp slow turns ( 9 in all including two serious hairpins) makes for a much slower course. Also as there is quite a lot of the route in the woods, the total amount of good pathway is not as much as the old course, so that won't help the times. But it's not bad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Perfect conditions in the end this morning in St Annes. No rain, no wind, 8 degrees with a little sunshine. I started in the T shirt for the first time in a good few weeks.

Ironically it St Anne's 69th parkrun (to match the day that was in it) as the handsome race director informed us :)

What's romantic about running a 5k !?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Hi Rod , I'll tell you whats romantic about running a 5k , My wife is in hospital this week having her left knee replaced for the 3rd time , its been a difficult week and there were complications with the op . She is in a lot of pain , and need-lees to say I have spent ever waking moment in the hospital at her side giving all the support I can to get her through this , left last night at 10.30 and as promised gave her a bell as soon as i got home , I hadn't mentioned that i would be doing parkrun on Saturday , in fact my plan was to get over to her by 9.30 during the phone call she says , I want you to do your parkrun in the morning , its the only valentine day present I can give you ....THATS whats romantic about doing a 5k , ran it today for the 72nd time but I can tell you I was thinking about my wonderful wife Caroline every step of that 5k parkrun .... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Amigaman wrote: »
    Hi Rod , I'll tell you whats romantic about running a 5k , My wife is in hospital this week having her left knee replaced for the 3rd time , its been a difficult week and there were complications with the op . She is in a lot of pain , and need-lees to say I have spent ever waking moment in the hospital at her side giving all the support I can to get her through this , left last night at 10.30 and as promised gave her a bell as soon as i got home , I hadn't mentioned that i would be doing parkrun on Saturday , in fact my plan was to get over to her by 9.30 during the phone call she says , I want you to do your parkrun in the morning , its the only valentine day present I can give you ....THATS whats romantic about doing a 5k , ran it today for the 72nd time but I can tell you I was thinking about my wonderful wife Caroline every step of that 5k parkrun .... :-)

My best wishes to your wife . 72 times is amazing. Must be the most in the country?? Makes us realise how lucky we are .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What's romantic about running a 5k !?

A few weeks after my wife gave birth we went to parkrun together and she completed it in a respectable time. It is great to have an activity we can both do and relax having a coffee afterwards.

That said my comment was a tongue in cheek response to others who implied that their might be a lower turnout today that normal.

Thanks Rod , Shes a toughie and will pull through , If fact I'll go on the record and state shes a lot tougher then I am , I can take the sometimes pain and discomfort of running .... I don't think I could deal with the pain of not being able to run ... oh and as regards the 72 parkruns , not even close to being the best in country , not even the best in griffeen :-) , the most parkruns in Rep. of Ire is John Carlin in Marlay ( 124 in Ireland and Uk ) Seamus KAVANAGH has 107 but these were all run in Ireland , but both pale in comparison with Darren Woods who today did his 494 parkrun in 53 minutes as opposed to his usual 20 minute or so 5k as he has been injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Damn fine Valentine's present Caroline gave you today. :)
    That's what it's all about:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭KaaaaaaPOW

Makes us realise how lucky we are .
    Yup, no tomorrow for anyone, I know a woman that has just been diagnosed with Motor Neuron. Doesn't come much worse than that.

• Advertisement

Some heartwarming posts here! I hope your wife recovers well amigaman and that I'll reach 72 aswell. On 3 so far lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

The handsome run director will be delighted to be described as such. He is not on boards but I will ensure he gets the message:)

PS.....I have now joined the dots, P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

We have a few at our home event in Belfast nearing 200 runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

http://www.parkrun.ie/leesroad/course/

Course map now on the parkrun site for Lees Road. Starts March 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Be nice to do that one when I go home to Clare, lees road is lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hoping to do my first parkrun at Vicarstown on saturday. Iv never been to Vicarstown before. Is it far from the village, hard find?

Just a wee heads up the Cabinteely parkrun site has just gone live on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabinteely-parkrun/1393759177603616?fref=ts
    No information on start dates just yet but stay tuned...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Hoping to do my first parkrun at Vicarstown on saturday. Iv never been to Vicarstown before. Is it far from the village, hard find?

nope. There's not much in the village. The run is along the canal. Just turn down along the canal by the pub and you should see people gathering around 9.20.

Enjoy it, it's a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm delighted to be taking on the role of event director at Cabinteely parkrun.
    Provisional and as yet unconfirmed start date is March 28th.
    Anyone who is familiar with Cabinteely park will know that the course will be challenging but fair, plenty of downhill to even out the uphill:)
    I'm still in the process of getting a core group of volunteers together so PM me if you'd like to be involved at the start-up stage.
    Cabinteely promises to be another wonderful addition to the parkrun community:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Excellent news!

• Advertisement

kind.jpg

Now that's a one / two parkrun whammy if ever I heard one , great news indeed , the best of luck to both events...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭slingerz

menoscemo wrote: »

where is this parkrun located?

going to make my slow ponderous walking interval return to parkrun on saturday week following a 10 month injury absence!

slingerz wrote: »
    where is this parkrun located?

going to make my slow ponderous walking interval return to parkrun on saturday week following a 10 month injury absence!

Shankhill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shankhill
    Shankill.

There's no hill. :)

Delighted to see the announcement of the two new Parkruns, as I frequent both parks regularly. Very best of luck Marthastew - I reckon it will be the cheeriest Parkrun in all of Ireland. Happy to volunteer until the Shanganagh Parkrun gets off the ground (at which point I'll feel duty-bound to shop a little more local!).

Shankill.

There's no hill. :)

It's fast becoming difficult for you to have first finished all the Dublin parkruns KC, though these two shouldn't involve much travelling for you :)

I'd imagine Shanganagh should rival St Anne's for the fastest parkrun in Dublin title?

It's fast becoming difficult for you to have first finished all the Dublin parkruns KC, though these two shouldn't involve much travelling for you :)

I'd imagine Shanganagh should rival St Anne's for the fastest parkrun in Dublin title?
    It seems I get to enjoy that pleasure for 5 more weeks! I ran Poppintree last week, and it's an incredibly fast course, with a couple of long fast straights, and just a couple of tight bends to slow you down. With three laps though, you end up weaving in and our of the other parkrunners - but then, it's not a race. Yep, St Anne's would certainly be the fastest, particularly with the high calibre of Parkrunners you get participating. Hartstown would be very similar to Shanganagh - different shape, but same profile/environment. Ardgillan is probably the toughest in Dublin, but makes up for it with the best views!

Ardgillan is probably the toughest in Dublin, but makes up for it with the best views!

Soon to be rivalled ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

best of luck with the two new venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Did my first parkrun in Tralee last weekend. Very enjoyable and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Very flat course so one for quick times. Only negative is the out and back section that has to be done on each lap. I'd of thought they could just push the start back but I'm sure there's some reason for it.

Will certainly be back (hopefully fitter) when I'm in that neck of the woods again, next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭crisco10

Great news on the 2 new Southside Parkruns. Gives plenty of variety and should help ease the loading on Marlay a little! The course in Cabo park will be interesting, lots of running up and down hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Had my first run on the new Marlay course yesterday, really enjoyed it despite the big drag in the first km. My Forerunner measured the course a little short at 4.88km's, not sure if it might have been an issue with losing signal among the trees. Anybody else got a measurement on the new course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

The start in Marlay was a huge disaster, so wedged!!!
    I logged in 4.92 yesterday (no I didn't cut the corners), not once I ran 5k in Marlay tbh
    Nice run tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I agree that the start is a bit congested, especially with the two sharp turns early on, you just need to run a PB for the first 200 metres !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Last week I ran a new to me parkrun, trail course nearly 400 runners and I somehow get 1st finisher with a low 18 minute time. This week another new to me parkrun, trail course, lots of mud, only 40 runners normally and often won in 20+ minutes, I get 2nd place with 21 minutes after the guy who had been tracking me the whole way round beat me in a sprint for the line.

Never know what you are going to get at parkrun, but it is still always the same. Love it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

robinph wrote: »
    Last week I ran a new to me parkrun, trail course nearly 400 runners and I somehow get 1st finisher with a low 18 minute time. This week another new to me parkrun, trail course, lots of mud, only 40 runners normally and often won in 20+ minutes, I get 2nd place with 21 minutes after the guy who had been tracking me the whole way round beat me in a sprint for the line.

Never know what you are going to get at parkrun, but it is still always the same. Love it. :D

Snap! Ran a new to me Parkrun yesterday as well. Decent number of runners and its normally won with a decent time but I managed the top spot with just under 19. Sometimes you just get good days.

Grand start to the day so it was for me anyway (",)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    The start in Marlay was a huge disaster, so wedged!!!
    I logged in 4.92 yesterday (no I didn't cut the corners), not once I ran 5k in Marlay tbh
    Nice run tho

My garmin said 4.84 for Marlay and my Garmin time was two minutes faster than my official park run time due to delays in getting our tags at the end.

It was my first park run and I really enjoyed it. I ran faster than when I run on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Looking forward to the Shanganagh run! Just down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

My garmin said 4.84 for Marlay and my Garmin time was two minutes faster than my official park run time due to delays in getting our tags at the end.
    Don't understand how your time can be out by 2 mins. You're time is clocked as you cross the finish line. The tag is then matched to that time. The wait in the Q has nothing to do with your finish time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement