Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

DurkaDurka it looks like you're doing everything right. 3x week is great and by concentrating on gradual improvement rather than huge leaps you are more likely to achieve your goals without injury. As you get fitter the weight should come off and running will become 'even' easier.

By going for longer, slower runs (remembering to increase the distance slowly) you will build the endurance necessary to tackle 10k. And you might consider joining your local running club to provide yourself with some extra motivation and lots of good advice and encouragement.

By getting off the sofa and getting out there you have already done the hardest bit. You have my admiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Darndale postponed until January. A pity really because it could be positive for the area but there is a few bigger events too close really

Not sure where you heard that, but Darndale is not postponed until January. The park is unfortunately prone to flooding but the team check it every Thurs-Friday and make a call on whether its good to go ahead that week. They are planning to do that as normal in December.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Probably best to be sitting down before watching this, you might get dizzy.

There is a grand total of 100m of running in a straight line on that course. It has the nickname of Curly Wurly for a number of reasons, firstly it's very curly and wurly and secondly it is within the grounds of the former Cadbury factory where said Curly Wurly tooth rotting delights used to be manufactured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Anybody know anything about this Parkrun, The Glen? It seems to be in Tipperary somewhere, its like an invite only one?

http://www.parkrun.ie/theglen/course/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about this Parkrun, The Glen? It seems to be in Tipperary somewhere, its like an invite only one?

http://www.parkrun.ie/theglen/course/

The location marker seems to have been put somewhere random, but think that is another of the prison parkruns.

That page will not open for me but Cork had its first parkrun, on the city's northside, open two weeks ago in The Glen park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That page will not open for me but Cork had its first parkrun, on the city's northside, open two weeks ago in The Glen park

No, it seems to be a different one as event number 21. Core team hidden and 3 runners?

The course link looks like a bog.

aquinn wrote: »
    No, it seems to be a different one as event number 21. Core team hidden and 3 runners?

The course link looks like a bog.

As the website suggests, it's closed and not accessible to the public :p

not sure why they bother having it listed

Actually I think it might be a slight variation on the prison ones in that it is in a secure mental health hospital unit. Sure I saw something a little while ago about one starting up somewhere in Ireland. The naming of runners matches the prison parkruns system though.

There is good reasons for having the results "public" for the prison parkruns as part of the thinking is that then relatives, who know your code name, can also see your results and follow progress. The first anniversary of Black Combe, the first prison parkrun, was just last week so there was a few articles popping up around the internet covering the positive impact they have made for the inmates, their families and the former inmates who have since been released but continued parkrunning.

• Advertisement

For comparison here is how the prison parkruns are described, and they clearly state it's in a prison on their main page and also in the course description text. They don't appear in the events map though.

http://www.parkrun.ie/progression/course/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

annapr wrote: »
    Not sure where you heard that, but Darndale is not postponed until January. The park is unfortunately prone to flooding but the team check it every Thurs-Friday and make a call on whether its good to go ahead that week. They are planning to do that as normal in December.

I got a text to say so. Seems it's wrong info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

robinph wrote: »
    For comparison here is how the prison parkruns are described, and they clearly state it's in a prison on their main page and also in the course description text. They don't appear in the events map though.

http://www.parkrun.ie/progression/course/

A few from Lusk AC there last week. You can apply to do it?

I got a text to say so. Seems it's wrong info
    The individual events are not able to text you, they shouldn't have access to phone numbers. One of your friends must be trying to trick you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The individual events are not able to text you, they shouldn't have access to phone numbers. One of your friends must be trying to trick you.

Few of us had discussed maybe dropping down. One sent text saying it was off for Few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭EnPassant

Few of us had discussed maybe dropping down. One sent text saying it was off for Few weeks.

The last post on their news page on parkrun.ie is from December 2017 - that is probably where the confusion comes from - it's easy to assume it's referring to this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

In Galway next weekend and will have the buggy with us. From experience Oughterard isn't suitable with a buggy, nor is Knocknacarra really, despite being a three minute drive. What is Oranmore like, particularly with a buggy in mind? A bit mental driving there from Knocknacarra first thing Saturday morning but gotta feed the parkrun fix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

ionapaul wrote: »
    In Galway next weekend and will have the buggy with us. From experience Oughterard isn't suitable with a buggy, nor is Knocknacarra really, despite being a three minute drive. What is Oranmore like, particularly with a buggy in mind? A bit mental driving there from Knocknacarra first thing Saturday morning but gotta feed the parkrun fix!
    Its a bit hilly but my recollection of it is that it was all on well paved paths....be fine with a buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

ionapaul wrote: »

Oranmore would be fine for the buggy. Proper tarmac pathway the whole way around from memory. Wide enough for runners to go around too.
    a 2 lap route with a bit of a hill to zap the legs on second lap :D
    Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Waterstown have declared for Christmas Day, for the third year in a row at least (I ran there the last two Christmas mornings). Fair play to them organising a volunteer crew again - can't be easy!

EDIT: Actually, 5th year in a row - every year since they started in 2014!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Oranmore would be fine for the buggy. Proper tarmac pathway the whole way around from memory. Wide enough for runners to go around too.
    a 2 lap route with a bit of a hill to zap the legs on second lap :D
    Enjoy :D

Its not all paths, there are a few stretches through woods/forest type terrain but that's only for a few hundred metres at most of the 5km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Waterstown have declared for Christmas Day, for the third year in a row at least (I ran there the last two Christmas mornings). Fair play to them organising a volunteer crew again - can't be easy!

its my Christmas tradition to run there at this stage. Ran it each year since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chrispyp

Bit of a cheeky request...i'm hoping to break 21 mins at Shanganagh parkrun on 15th. it's not the nice round 20 mins, but wondering if anyone else will be aiming for similar/wouldn't mind keeping me company for the effort!

It was brilliant last year, even with seasonal wind and rain :)

possible to do a Christmas Day double this year with Malahide on later.... ?

It was brilliant last year, even with seasonal wind and rain :)

possible to do a Christmas Day double this year with Malahide on later.... ?
    I thought New Years Day was the only day that a double is permitted?

fletch wrote: »
    http://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/
    "On Christmas Day you will not be able to register more than one result. On New Year's Day we will allow the option to register up to two results."

fletch wrote: »

think you're right, it might be the only day you can get two results... you can still do both though. if you've nothing else to be doing on Christmas morning... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Delighted with the New Years Day double with St.Anne's & Father Collin's because I missed last weeks PR due to only coming off a 24 hour shift, and this Saturday I'm on a 24 hour shift starting Saturday morning so I can catch up on missed runs on NYD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Delighted with the New Years Day double with St.Anne's & Father Collin's because I missed last weeks PR due to only coming off a 24 hour shift, and this Saturday I'm on a 24 hour shift starting Saturday morning so I can catch up on missed runs on NYD :)

On call for 24 hours or what job is 24 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

vargoo wrote: »
    On call for 24 hours or what job is 24 hours?

Probably military security duty and it's more like 25 hours.

Nominally 9-9, but of course you need to be early going on, and by the time the handover happens it's probably 9:30.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Probably military security duty and it's more like 25 hours.

Nominally 9-9, but of course you need to be early going on, and by the time the handover happens it's probably 9:30.

^^ This :(

• Advertisement

^^ This :(

What is the thinking behind that kind of shift pattern as they are surely not expecting anyone to be useful/ awake for 24 hours. Is it just so that they have twice the number of people on site if needed than if they did 12 hour shifts with half the number of people?

What is the thinking behind that kind of shift pattern as they are surely not expecting anyone to be useful/ awake for 24 hours. Is it just so that they have twice the number of people on site if needed than if they did 12 hour shifts with half the number of people?

Honestly I can't get into the finer details here, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My first visit to Cabinteely this morning-the hills! Two buggies sped off ahead of me about 100m in and they were so far ahead of me after just the first lap. My legs hated me on the hill at the end of lap 1 and I don’t know how I kept going for lap 2 and 3. Twice the elevation of Waterstown and comparable to Valley in Belfast (2 laps with the first half of each lap being uphill).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

So Oranmore... It was tough! But fun of course. The wind was so strong, it was actually slightly easier running UP the big hill with the wind at your back than running down into the face of the wind! Ended up over a minute slower than the previous two weeks in Poppintree and Marley respectively, as much down to the tougher course as the wild conditions. Lovely crowd at Oranmore it must be said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

eve wrote: »
    My first visit to Cabinteely this morning-the hills! Two buggies sped off ahead of me about 100m in and they were so far ahead of me after just the first lap. My legs hated me on the hill at the end of lap 1 and I don’t know how I kept going for lap 2 and 3. Twice the elevation of Waterstown and comparable to Valley in Belfast (2 laps with the first half of each lap being uphill).

Character building hills! Or at least that’s how I convince myself to go back week after week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Character building hills! Or at least that’s how I convince myself to go back week after week ;)

I don’t doubt it. I can see myself going back next year for a chance to improve my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I did Cabinteely for the first time too recently. Hills are definitely tough but nice to get a bit of momentum on the down hill! Definitely one of the tougher Dublin parkruns. I unfortunately had to rush off so didn't get to experience the post-run coffee that day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliasME

One of those buggy runners (the second if I remember correctly, they passed me out too) is usually sub-20 when he gets to run without the buggy. It is a very tough course but the friendly crew make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I did Stormont parkrun last weekend. It's a really lovely course - mostly trails and forest, with a bit on the main avenue. A really friendly welcome from the team too. Well worth a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I see you don't know any hospital doctors. 24 hour shifts are common, sometimes multiple times in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Marlay parkrun cancelled tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Marlay parkrun cancelled tomorrow

And Cabinteely. I think all DLR parks are closed tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

RayCun wrote:

Yes looks like it. Bushy still on I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Shanganagh confirmed as cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

what's the reason for the cancellations? weather?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit of wind apparently. I think its a a bit of an over reaction from the council to close all the parks because there is a yellow warning for wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RayCun wrote: »

Yes that's correct, as far as I can see Met Eireann are saying the yellow might be upgraded to orange.

It's disappointing for the runners but I was RD tomorrow in Cabinteely and given the location of the start/finish line I'm glad my volunteers don't have to stand out in that wind and rain, I've done it before, it's far from pleasant. There's also ample opportunity for some lighter branches to come down and cause a trip hazard or worse so I don't think it's an overreaction (in answer to Adrian's post - it's wind & rain btw).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The policy is to close all parks when they get a yellow warning for wind, which is an over reaction. Orange fair enough but yellow doesn't mean much, usually with a yellow warning you wouldn't notice much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Status this, status that all the time now from met eireann

It's overkill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

We have cancelled Fairview.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement