Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looking like a Malahide Parkrun for me on Christmas Day.

I brought home a decent bit of muck from there yesterday. It's fairly soft under foot at the finish area. If family/friends are coming make sure they're not in their Sunday best!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I have said on here before that Castleblayney has been my toughest parkrun and I haven't changed my mind! They've also changed the route and instead of that hill twice you do it three times now :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I brought home a decent bit of muck from there yesterday. It's fairly soft under foot at the finish area. If family/friends are coming make sure they're not in their Sunday best!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll pack my trail shoes so.

I love a bit of muck tbh and do a fair bit of running on the trails in the Phoenix Park. The back gate of my job brings me right into the park so I'm spoiled lol.

We're dragging a few up from Fr.Collin's for the craic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Good news for north Cork!

New 5k parkrun for Mallow in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone do parkrun this morning.
    Did Malahide good crowd at it.

They said any tourist and this aul fella lifts up his grandson and said Australia which was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

headed into Limerick today, possibly not a good idea after a week of booze and the onset of a serious dose of manflu, stumbled home in just under 25, great crowd there. had to return to bed after

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Lovely run at Navan’s first Christmas event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Massive turnout at waterstown this morning, really great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Did limerick this morning. Massive crowd. Great morning for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did Malahide. Great atmosphere and loads of familiar faces (refugees from Anne's and Collins). Decent enough time too considering the over indulgence of last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Massive turnout at waterstown this morning, really great to see

Yeah was great, results not up yet but I reckon there was close to 300.

Managed 7th, forgot about the hill at the end and lost a few places! Great route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Signed up to the one in griffeen Lucan this morning. Hopefully it's happening Saturday morning I must check. First steps towards running my first marathon in October 2019. They're a great idea.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Did Malahide. Great atmosphere and loads of familiar faces (refugees from Anne's and Collins). Decent enough time too considering the over indulgence of last few weeks.

Done Malahide too, first timer there.

First pain free run in about four weeks so I'm delighted with that.

I'll defo be back to Malahide, I'm not sure what the numbers were but I'd say upwards of 300+

Was it me or is that last 2 kg a nasty little drag?.. Kinda funny, when I got to the finish area I thought I was counted in through the gap, stopped running and looking for my bar code only to be told I've another bit around the field, that was a bit of a laugh with a few people who done the same.

Met Blackoil from here too.. Now send on the Christmas Day feast & drinks :D

I liked Malahide, recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I was in the 280s in Malahide - near the end of the finishers but I'd say they definitely broke 300. Great to see! Yeah, there's a bit of a drag on the finish all right but it's a lovely course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Ran Ballincollig for the first time, very nice course, great to get out for a easy run.

Did my 11th unique parkrun, and 9th unique letter today.

I see that if I ever want to complete my Alphabeteer challenge I'll have to go outside the country. ROI is missing parkruns beginning with: Q, U, Y and Z. I can go to NI and do Queens, and I found two Us and two Ys in England. But, without having to go in to every country's page, where would the nearest Z be to us? Just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

quickbeam wrote: »
    Did my 11th unique parkrun, and 9th unique letter today.

I see that if I ever want to complete my Alphabeteer challenge I'll have to go outside the country. ROI is missing parkruns beginning with: Q, U, Y and Z. I can go to NI and do Queens, and I found two Us and two Ys in England. But, without having to go in to every country's page, where would the nearest Z be to us? Just out of curiosity?
    Zary. Poland

I was in the 280s in Malahide - near the end of the finishers but I'd say they definitely broke 300. Great to see! Yeah, there's a bit of a drag on the finish all right but it's a lovely course.

For sure, I loved the forest bit. and its possible to run almost the entire course on the grass if you're trying to avoid pavements/injury, which suited me fine today as I've been having terrible pain running in the last 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Was the first time holding an event on the 25th in Ballincollig, turnout surprised everyone - 302 participants (& 29 volunteers)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There were 320 in Waterstown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

^^I don't get it^^, parkrun is all over^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

So obviously whatever algorithm they use counts a parkrun event as a group run. And given it is a lot larger in Ireland and uk than rest of world it makes sense. Feels like lies damn lies and statistics to an extent tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I ran Malahide on Xmas Day too, good craic. Ran it twice before, the last time on Dec 26th 2015! So was happy to break my course PB by over two minutes, and finished in 21st, immediately behind my wife's brother in law, who is much faster than me historically... So was doublely good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm doing the Bushy and Tymon double on Tuesday. Both new ones to me, what are the courses like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm doing the Bushy and Tymon double on Tuesday. Both new ones to me, what are the courses like?

Bushy is very flat, but fairly twisty. The starting/finishing point is beside the river, you run up about 800m to the entrance to the park, then do two laps inside the park, before going out the same way and back to the start. It's a nice park to run in, but paths are fairly narrow. Parking at Rathfarnham shopping centre near the start, but don't park at the end closest to the parkrun.

Tymon is a two-lap course. Each lap starts with a drag and is more or less downhill for the rest. There's a car park right beside the start/finish area, and the gang usually have drinks and often cake at the end. Almost certainly cake for this one, come to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thank you very much RayCun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did Tramore this morning. Sub 30 for the 4th time on a tough enough course. Nice morning for it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Did my first one in Griffeen today. Forgot barcode so no time registered but a good experience. Think I was about 31 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Great to be back running today at Poolbeg after all my calf issues ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We headed to Tyrrelstown this morning. Not sure we would be staying as the gates were locked for the Community centre. Tried a route through a ditch but couldn't, saw people the far side so looped around, under a fence in muck and onto a new road and route in.
    Small crew of 26 this morning. I would say they lost a few who didn't try the fence route. Good to do. 3 laps but pleasant. Would like to go back fitter and lighter to give it a bash. Took it easy this morning with the Clonliffe 5km tomorrow.

2nd new parkrun this week with another one on New Year's Day as we haven't done Father Collins yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Howdy folks, What's castletown Parkrun like? Is it flat or hilly? Thanks ...I'll be doing it next week.

Howdy folks, What's castletown Parkrun like? Is it flat or hilly? Thanks ...I'll be doing it next week.

It isn't hilly anyway. We did it after the snow this year so there was a lot of puddles and muck but very good. Two loops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Relatively flat. It drops from the start to the river very gently. There's a few undulations and a short steep climb on each lap. But it's really short. Beautiful setting.

Returned to Malahide Castle and ran 90% on grass and trails so the going was soft, mucky (very mucky, I love it) and slow.

Last Parkrun of 2018 done, and starting 2019 with a double in St.Annes and Father Collins.

Between Christmas Day Parkrun in Malahide, todays PR back in Malahide and the double in St.Annes and Father Collins 'tis been a busy week for runners, run directors and volunteers alike.

I think since I finished 2018 with another mucky run I'll give an honorable mention to my Karrimor trail shoes.

I know a lot of runners laugh at Karrimor shoes, but at the start of the year I thought at €45 in Heatons I'd give them a try (I've used their hiking shoes, boots and other equipment over the years without complaint).

I've done a lot of trails (my job is in the Phoenix Park so I'm spoiled) and beaches in them and honestly they've been a fantastic shoe.

Very grippy, but the ball of the soles are wearing now. Well constructed and mostly waterproof. They look good too.

As with most trail shoes if you wear them on tarmac they'll wear pretty quick.

There ya go, well worth a try if you're on a budget and looking for a decent trail shoe IMO.

If anyone is thinking of doing the double on New Years Day and you're stuck for a lift from St.Annes to Fr.Collins (and back) drop me a PM because I'm driving between them and living in the area so I won't be put out.

• Advertisement

Did my first one in Griffeen today. Forgot barcode so no time registered but a good experience. Think I was about 31 mins.

Congrats. Once you’re an addict like us then it’ll be second nature to you to always have your barcode.

Am planning Fr. Collins on NYD too so might bump into some of you there. Is there a secret Boardsie handshake or anything? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

aquinn wrote: »
    We headed to Tyrrelstown this morning. Not sure we would be staying as the gates were locked for the Community centre. Tried a route through a ditch but couldn't, saw people the far side so looped around, under a fence in muck and onto a new road and route in.
    Small crew of 26 this morning. I would say they lost a few who didn't try the fence route. Good to do. 3 laps but pleasant. Would like to go back fitter and lighter to give it a bash. Took it easy this morning with the Clonliffe 5km tomorrow.

2nd new parkrun this week with another one on New Year's Day as we haven't done Father Collins yet either.

I was there this morning too! I found the center all locked up like you described and I was going to bail and just head to the park but I got chatting with some friendly people there, so I stayed. Glad I did. Lovely course. I'll definitely go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

quickbeam wrote: »
    Am planning Fr. Collins on NYD too so might bump into some of you there. Is there a secret Boardsie handshake or anything? :P

Well in Fr Collins, you give all the RDs a tenner when you shake their hands but apart from that, its all normal :D.

Hope we see you on NYD at Fr Collins at 11 sharp.

I was there this morning too! I found the center all locked up like you described and I was going to bail and just head to the park but I got chatting with some friendly people there, so I stayed. Glad I did. Lovely course. I'll definitely go back.

Ah no way. What were you wearing so might know you for next time. Not in HM blue and a massive number of parkrun's? Ignore that. Beanie and plait?

Ah no way. What were you wearing so might know you for next time. Not in HM blue and a massive number of parkrun's? Ignore that. Beanie and plait?

Ha, ha! Beanie and plait, that was me.
    You guys breezed by me like you were having a stroll. I was busting a gut, not used to this 5k speed malarkey! Ha!

• Advertisement

Ha, ha! Beanie and plait, that was me.
    You guys breezed by me like you were having a stroll. I was busting a gut, not used to this 5k speed malarkey! Ha!

Sorry about that, strides in the last mile had us pass you.

Sorry about that, strides in the last mile had us pass you.

Gosh, no it's cool! I saw you were doing strides alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Gosh, no it's cool! I saw you were doing strides alright.

Those two are very annoying with their parkrun sessions. Don’t mind them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Only a fiver in Johnstown & tea/coffee provided

:p

11 on NYD too

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Only a fiver in Johnstown & tea/coffee provided

:p

11 on NYD too

That’s a good deal. But wouldn’t make it there in time after my first. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

quickbeam wrote:
    That’s a good deal. But wouldn’t make it there in time after my first. 😀

If you confirm, we can hold off until 11:03

In case it was lost in the clutter of my last post, if anyone wants to do the St.Annes/Fr.Collins double on NYD I'll be driving between both.

I'd love to run from one to the other but I'm coming off a 24hr shift.

Anyway if anyone wants to do both but can't due to transport drop me a PM and I should be able to drop you to Fr.Collins from St.Annes and back to St.Annes.

After my shift I'm hoping my second wind will carry me through the Father Collins PR, but I plan on an easy paced St.Annes, so fingers X'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

HM blue and the large number of parkruns was me. I ran there through the industrial estates which took me in the schools’ road rather than the community centre so I avoid the whole closed gate/ditch issue. Nice parkrun and friendly volunteers.

eve wrote: »
    HM blue and the large number of parkruns was me. I ran there through the industrial estates which took me in the schools’ road rather than the community centre so I avoid the whole closed gate/ditch issue. Nice parkrun and friendly volunteers.

Very good. You then were the one we spotted coming from the other road that we reached under the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

After illness stopped me running for the last few months my goal to reach 50 in 2018 seemed lost. I did my 49th in Tralee today - lovely crowd.

But I heard there that there are multiple mid week runs around kerry for New Years.

I’ll be around Monaghan for New Years - anyone have a list of Parkrun events around New Year’s Eve/day?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement