Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    IS that the overall record or is there a seperate male record?\

I see she ran at the Euro cross-country in Dec so clearly as professional an athlete as ya can get. Would love to see the "average Joe" world record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you set the average Joe world record, by definition you are no longer average and your record is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Was a spectator at Marley this morning some set up. Well done to the volunteers for making it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Shedite27 wrote: »
    IS that the overall record or is there a seperate male record?

Andy Baddeley holds the male record at 13:48. Alex Yee ran 13:57 only last Saturday.

Baddeley is a 3:49 miler. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Was a spectator at Marley this morning some set up. Well done to the volunteers for making it happen.

My 2nd outing at Marlay today, fantastic morning for it. Chatted with a lot of great people before, during and after. Always a great atmosphere at parkrun regardless of which event you attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I see Malahide hit another record high today, something in the region of 580.

Fr.Collins done 111, which is good for a PR which normally numbers around the 70 mark.

432 in Malahide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

432 in Malahide?

I thought I seen something on facebook with numbers around 580, maybe it was an old post so.

I thought I seen something on facebook with numbers around 580, maybe it was an old post so.

https://twitter.com/stannesparkrun/status/1081559818907856896?s=19

Was thinking that seemed a bit high as did it Christmas morning and today and seemed like there was more Christmas morning so checked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Was thinking that seemed a bit high as did it Christmas morning and today and seemed like there was more Christmas morning so checked it.

Cool. I was getting mixed up because since Christmas day I've ran in Malahide, St.Anne's & Fr.Collins.

On the bench for a few weeks now with a stress fracture, I'll find out Monday if I've to go into a cast :mad: so there'll be no more confusion for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

DeepBlue wrote: »
    With all the extra parkruns of the last couple of weeks it's going to be a bit of an adjustment to have to wait a full week for the next one. :pac: :D
    It was a little strange seeing the familiar faces this morning that I seen on NYD (wasn’t at my local the Sat before)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    IS that the overall record or is there a seperate male record?

Andy Baddeley holds the male record at 13:48. Alex Yee ran 13:57 only last Saturday.

Baddeley is a 3:49 miler. :D
    ... And then there is a 12:24 done by Ben Robinson which "broke" the parkrun results system as it doesn't allow for sub 13 times to be entered. He was getting a bit of help from his dog though.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

aquinn wrote: »
    A few from Lusk AC there last week. You can apply to do it?

Yeah just email them. I think they allow 7 "outsiders" a week.

quickbeam wrote: »
    How'd you manage two on Christmas day?

Waterstown at 9:30am, Malahide at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

30th parkrun today and 20th at Tymon. First was March 2013 in Marlay, so it's taken a while. None at all in 16 and only 1 in 17. First 6 in Marlay, next 4 in Griffeen and ever since in Tymon. Will have to add a few more. Volunteered for the first time recently too. It's amazing how it's growing over the years. It really is a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bothebear

Did the Fairview parkrun yesterday for first time, nice flat track and friendly crowd. Measured the course as 5.33km myself using the running app that I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Bothebear wrote: »
    Did the Fairview parkrun yesterday for first time, nice flat track and friendly crowd. Measured the course as 5.33km myself using the running app that I use.

Apps and running watches are not necessarily accurate. Tree cover not running from the centre of the path etc etc
    They measure and re-measure the course.

Bothebear wrote: »

I've done that before and it was accurate on my GPS.

It's a nice run.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

And amazingly she only came second. Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

69th finisher at my 69th park run, nice symmetry.

Am trying to get my running mojo back, we now have a great bunch of Canicrossers in and around Sligo and do park run together at various venues, Lough Key being a favourite. Both Ballina and Lough Key send us off 30 seconds before the other runners/walkers and then adjust our times, works really well for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

We had 335 at Castletown/Celbridge yesterday. New record.
    Was great to see lots of families and kids out running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

seamusk84 wrote: »
    We had 335 at Castletown/Celbridge yesterday. New record.
    Was great to see lots of families and kids out running it.

Was my first time doing Castletown yesterday. It was a lovely course and friendly crowd. Quite tight around a few corners (especially the first left heading for the woods) because of the number, but it was great to be out.
    Lovely coffee shop on the grounds too, always a bonus :-)

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Apps and running watches are not necessarily accurate. Tree cover not running from the centre of the path etc etc
    They measure and re-measure the course.

Poppintree regularly comes in at 4.94km. But if you stay in the middle of the footpath it's 5km. There is one long bend of about 250m that you do 3 times and you naturally will go on the inside

Hartstown was same for me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

I ran Newbridge house parkrun yesterday. Loved it. Great mixed crowd & I got a much better time than I was expecting for the first one of the new year.
    Roll on Malahide next week !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm heading to Berlin next week so incredibly excited about getting a Parkrun in whilst there. Ticking ever closer to 100 runs as this will be my 86th and my 4th different country.

I ran Newbridge house parkrun yesterday. Loved it. Great mixed crowd & I got a much better time than I was expecting for the first one of the new year.
    Roll on Malahide next week !
    I really enjoyed Donabate too. Nice setting for a run. Malahide is great as well, it used to be my "home run" before I moved, much bigger crowd there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

KJ wrote: »
    I'm heading to Berlin next week so incredibly excited about getting a Parkrun in whilst there. Ticking ever closer to 100 runs as this will be my 86th and my 4th different country.

Hasenheide in Berlin is a nice one. Did it a couple of months ago.

There is a bit of a hill on the second lap.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hasenheide in Berlin is a nice one. Did it a couple of months ago.

There is a bit of a hill on the second lap.
    That's the one I'm planning on doing. I'm more worried about how cold it might be rather than the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

That's the one I'm planning on doing. I'm more worried about how cold it might be rather than the hill.

7C forecast. Long sleeve top, should be ok. After half a K you will be warm anyway.

Start/finish is in same place & is safe to leave any belongings in.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    7C forecast. Long sleeve top, should be ok. After half a K you will be warm anyway.

Start/finish is in same place & is safe to leave any belongings in.
    Thanks for the info. Much to the chagrin of my wife, this is what I'm most looking forward to on the trip.

pac_man wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. Without going all parkrun cliché , without the volunteers, it wouldn't be possible. So it's nice that the people who do it that week are recognized and congratulated. I doubt that takes ten minutes and if it did, they are more than likely saying more than just congratulating people.

If people want to begin on time they should shut up and listen to the RD.

Thanks for the info. Much to the chagrin of my wife, this is what I'm most looking forward to on the trip.

Research the 'unsicht bar' it's a really cool experience that I did in Berlin years ago. Another cool thing to do :-)
    The Lust Garten outsider the Berliner Dom is another great place to chill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

pac_man wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. Without going all parkrun cliché , without the volunteers, it wouldn't be possible. So it's nice that the people who do it that week are recognized and congratulated. I doubt that takes ten minutes and if it did, they are more than likely saying more than just congratulating people.

While I can't post the original post as its now deleted, I'm fairly sure they have to give the usual health & safety statement as part of any parkrun briefing. Thanking the volunteers to me is vital, they've given up their time to make the event possible so if someone has to wait a couple of minutes to run, then so be it. I'm curious does the poster volunteer at all if they come back to the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

432 in Malahide?

Yeah, January surge. They ran out of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

muddypaws wrote: »
    69th finisher at my 69th park run, nice symmetry.

Bizarrely I also finished 69th in my 69th run which was just a couple of weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

And even more bizarre, 69 is my favourite number and it just keeps popping up everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I just wish it was a different number ;)

Although it was also my bib number for the first European championship I went to. Spookier and spookier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Mods, can we move these sickos to the Sex & Sexuality forum, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes indeed, fair play to all the volunteers there on Saturday. We had 669 through the timing clock at the end but bunches of runners were bypassing the lanes and going home because of the huge queues. Also I was running with a group that turned right at the model railway track and went home. When I arrived at the start, I said Wow, there must be 1000 people here.

Great effort for all involved

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes indeed, fair play to all the volunteers there on Saturday. We had 669 through the timing clock at the end but bunches of runners were bypassing the lanes and going home because of the huge queues. Also I was running with a group that turned right at the model railway track and went home. When I arrived at the start, I said Wow, there must be 1000 people here.

Great effort for all involved

How is it so popular.? Galway runs get 100 odd or less, but parks couldnt hold any more without comfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

youngrun wrote: »
    How is it so popular.? Galway runs get 100 odd or less, but parks couldnt hold any more without comfort

Huge local population added to the fact that all park runs seem to peak in January and then tail off a bit.

When we started Marlay in March 2013 all the sports clubs in the park were approached to see if club members were interested and it took off from there. Marlay has gone from 150 to 500 / 700 odd

Asides from Marlay the whole Park Run concept is a super idea which obviously gels with people in that you have a target to improve week by week, its free etc etc. Whats not to like...........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

It's a really beautiful park too

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Drifter50 wrote: »
    We had 669 through

:eek::eek::eek: again!!!

McCrack wrote: »
    It's a really beautiful park too

That it is. I absolutely love it.

Anyone know what Saturdays they have the pacers in Donabate please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Not sure but there was one pacer on last Saturday (25 mins).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

Not sure but I was hoping it was a weekly thing.
    It was a nice gent from Lusk running club last week.
    He was pacing for 25 mins. I just kept him in view so I knew exactly where I was on time. Great idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Might be missing something obvious...

Is there a way of seeing what time pacers a parkrun will have? For example Corkagh have pacers this Saturday. Their Twitter only shows the 'vacant' times and the future roster doesn't specify a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Might be missing something obvious...

Is there a way of seeing what time pacers a parkrun will have? For example Corkagh have pacers this Saturday. Their Twitter only shows the 'vacant' times and the future roster doesn't specify a time

normally a parkrun will list the pacers the day before so people know alternatively work back from the vacant times to see what times are filled. otherwise tweet them back to see if they have someone for the time you want.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement