Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 runnomnom

Might be missing something obvious...

Is there a way of seeing what time pacers a parkrun will have? For example Corkagh have pacers this Saturday. Their Twitter only shows the 'vacant' times and the future roster doesn't specify a time

Corkagh do pacers every 2.5 minutes from 20 to 35 so that's 20:00, 22:30, 25:00, 27:30, 30:00, 32:30 & 35:00. Unfortunately the roster software doesn't allow specific times to be specified for the volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

New event for Mallow confirmed in yesterday's parkrun newsletter :)
    New events:
    2 February: Mallow Town parkrun

Not on the parkrun.ie website yet but soon I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

opus wrote: »
    New event for Mallow confirmed in yesterday's parkrun newsletter :)

Not on the parkrun.ie website yet but soon I imagine.

Anything on location?

Anything on location?

The town park in Mallow.

opus wrote: »
    The town park in Mallow.

Great, thanks. The biggest problem with the town park is flooding.

Looking forward to it starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Is there a way of seeing what time pacers a parkrun will have? For example Corkagh have pacers this Saturday. Their Twitter only shows the 'vacant' times and the future roster doesn't specify a time
    The individual parkrun's facebook page might be the best way of finding out about pacers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I suppose if the run director has that information it would tend to be on the facebook page, if anywhere. As pacing is volunteer dependent, it's often not finalised until very late in the week, or on the day itself. At St. Anne's pacer day (last Sat of the month) the aim is to cover every minute from 20 to 35 mins, but there are usually one or two gaps, especially at the faster end of the scale. Be sure to say hello to your pacer before or after - it helps the pacer feel it was worthwhile and they might volunteer again!

Great, thanks. The biggest problem with the town park is flooding.

Looking forward to it starting.

Better to have a parkrun event 99% of the time vs having none 100% of the time ;)

Was at my son’s parent teacher meeting this evening and somehow ended up chatting about parkrun with two different teachers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Was at my son’s parent teacher meeting this evening and somehow ended up chatting about parkrun with two different teachers!

I was spotted in a few photos of our NYD one by people at work today that I wouldn't have any dealings with. Mentioned it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Murph_D wrote: »
    I suppose if the run director has that information it would tend to be on the facebook page, if anywhere. As pacing is volunteer dependent, it's often not finalised until very late in the week, or on the day itself. At St. Anne's pacer day (last Sat of the month) the aim is to cover every minute from 20 to 35 mins, but there are usually one or two gaps, especially at the faster end of the scale. Be sure to say hello to your pacer before or after - it helps the pacer feel it was worthwhile and they might volunteer again!

We do the same at South Manchester parkrun - Chorlton Runners pacers the first Saturday of the month and we cover 20-35 minutes. I usually do 34-35 if I have both kids with me but did 31 last week as I only had the baby with me in the BOB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We pace in Tymon, usually the last Saturday of the month (but probably a week earlier this month because of Raheny)
    Times between 20 and 32 minutes, it depends on who is available, usually announced on Facebook a few days before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

RayCun wrote:
    We pace in Tymon, usually the last Saturday of the month (but probably a week earlier this month because of Raheny) Times between 20 and 32 minutes, it depends on who is available, usually announced on Facebook a few days before.

Ive always been curious, is 20mins the standard drop-off point for all pacers at parkrun? I've never seen a pacer for 19 or lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ive always been curious, is 20mins the standard drop-off point for all pacers at parkrun? I've never seen a pacer for 19 or lower.

St Anne's have had them. Like that it depends on availability.

Come over to leafy D3 the last Saturday of a month to find out, or I can let you know if it makes the schedule.

20 min is the lowest time we've had at Ballincollig, reason is that not that many people can pace faster comfortably (me for example as I don't go below 21 :o ) and even then I find the 21 min pacer role a bit lonely as tend to end up on my own after the first lap. Although normally catch up to a few people to encourage in the last k.

If someone offered to pace 19 min then of course they'd be welcomed but nobody ever has.

Btw the website for Mallow Town parkrun is now live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Ran in Knocknacarra saturday,my first 'away from home'. Must say it was a really scenic,lot's of hills,although one does get to go down them as well up :) . People were friendly and it was a nice day out :) So too was the Christmas Market later :) .

Plan to make a visit to Knocknacarra fairly soon, having looked at the course description would you suggest something like a light trail shoe is best option? I will be massively hungover so it wont make alot of difference to bo honest :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Partly availability I guess, and partly that 20 minutes has that round number target thing.

gucci wrote: »
    Plan to make a visit to Knocknacarra fairly soon, having looked at the course description would you suggest something like a light trail shoe is best option? I will be massively hungover so it wont make alot of difference to bo honest :D:D

I usually just wear my daily runners and sometimes the racers if trying to beat my course PB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭bikeman1

aquinn wrote:
    Come over to leafy D3 the last Saturday of a month to find out, or I can let you know if it makes the schedule.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but St. Anne's is in Dublin 5 😂😂 Unless you are referring to Fairview parkrun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be pedantic, but St. Anne's is in Dublin 5

Should be Dublin 4 North, 'cause we're terribly posh you know :P

• Advertisement

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be pedantic, but St. Anne's is in Dublin 5 ���� Unless you are referring to Fairview parkrun!

Oh no, you absolutely right to correct. Sincere apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh no, you absolutely right to correct. Sincere apologies.
    Are parts of the park in Dublin 3 or is that the boundary? Mount Prospect Road is D3. Genuinely wondering.

OOnegative wrote: »
    No such place as Mt Prospect Road, D3.

The residents will disagree I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The residents will disagree I'm sure.

It’s Mount Prospect Avenue, D3 is it not? Can’t recall a Mount Prospect Road in my time working D3/5.

OOnegative wrote: »
    It’s Mount Prospect Avenue, D3 is it not? Can’t recall a Mount Prospect Road in my time working D3/5.

Oh yes it is. I thought you were referring to the post code.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I'm gonna try and get a few Saturdays off and do a few of these, I'm a 21 min timer at the min, have always been a solo runner so curious if I got someone to chase down what time I'd get...have to get the day off first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

St Anne's have had them. Like that it depends on availability.

S Anne's isn't in D3!

Edit: Sorry, I see this has already been addressed! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I got an email today to say that I can order my 25volunteer tshirt! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Let us know when you’re available, P. ;)

Murph_D wrote:
    Let us know when you’re available, P.

I remember cheekily asking the 20min pacer if he'd help me with sub 19 as nobody was following him. He laughed and told me the guys ahead would get me to sub 17.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Massive crowd at St Annes again this morning.

Parkrun number 150 for me today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Big crowd at poolbeg too. Great to see everyone jogging out towards the start line from the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I think I heard the RD say that the attendance record broken at Castletown this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Broke 23 mins for the 1st time.
    50th PR next week and have a flight to catch at 12:15 afterwards should be doable just about.

Father Collins got its third highest this morning at 134.

I was time keeping but haven't seen the stats on first timers to either Fr.Collins or PR but its great to see everywhere getting big numbers.

533 at Ballincollig parkrun, blew the previous record attendance out of the water. They ran into the problem with max number of times on the stop watch however as they can only store ~495 as far as I know.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Just seeing the figures now, 653!.

And congrats on your 150 milestone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

~185 last week. ~175 this week at poppintree and about 30-40 first-timers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ran a double buggy PB at Stretford this morning of 31:08. Given that I'm pushing about 26kg of kid around at this stage in the double I can't complain. 672 there today, another huge field. Fletcher Moss hasn't taken much pressure off even though they get 200+ most weeks!

• Advertisement

I wasn't a Parkrun runner last January, so a question.

Are these record numbers just January peeps, my gym is packed to the rafters this month. The mild weather or a great social media reach (maybe all three?).

I think its really exciting to be part of something growing like it is but with all the added bonuses, ie free run, social aspect, getting fitter, reaching and breaking through milestones ~ its all positive.

I've always been involved in sports, mainly Judo, MMA and kickboxing. Then a requirement for my job is an annual fitness test so I'm not a newbie to an active lifestyle but I can't get my head around just how good Parkrun is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yeah just mostly January. It’ll dip again but some will stay. I think most parkrun events and certainly parkrun in general grows year on year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Just saw the fb post from St Anne's parkrun - over 600 people, amazing! I was at Carlow town parkrun today - 115 people which seemed like a huge crowd to me as I've been running Russborough parkrun (and Ballina over Christmas) which get typically 30 - 50 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bothebear

Did the Ennis parkrun today and beat my previous PB by 8 seconds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I like stats so a comparison of the second week in Jan in St Annes's year on year attendance wise

2014 - 318 (highest attendance in 2014 by far)
    2015 - 385 (highest attendance in 2015 by far)
    2016 - 363 (8th highest attendance in 2016)
    2017 - 450 (4th highest attendance in 2017)
    2018 - 442 (15 or 16 runs got more people in this year)
    2019 - 653

Could be bigger attendances in 2019 if past numbers are continued. In 2016 and 2017 the following week got even more people so next weeks attendance will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

January always sees a big spike

• Advertisement

Presume operation transformation is the biggest factor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's also very little to clash with it. Later in the year people have things to do on a Saturday (or Friday night). Not many people have plans this time of year.

Presume operation transformation is the biggest factor?
    No sure. This year (and last year) Operation Transformation haven’t been as closely tied with parkrun. OT had walks organised for 11am today around the country.

Sunny Dayz wrote:
    No sure. This year (and last year) Operation Transformation haven’t been as closely tied with parkrun. OT had walks organised for 11am today around the country.

I wasn't sure about the rest of the country. I just saw the Limerick girl was at parkrun this morning so I assumed it was the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

There is no doubt that there is an increase in the interest in running in general. 20,000 entries for DCM and races selling out earlier than before makes that pretty obvious. Hopefully more and more stick with it and also spread their wings into supporting club races.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement