Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Presume operation transformation is the biggest factor?

OT isn't a thing outside of Ireland and we get huge January spikes as well.

My old home run (Highbury Fields) had over 500 runners today. I cannot see how that would be a comfortable run on a 950m loop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Paced the wife to a PB this morning in Griffeen. :) She did her 13th straight.

Felt sorry for the tail walker, timers and scanners. The last person finished in 1:18, about 28 mins after the previous person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OT isn't a thing outside of Ireland and we get huge January spikes as well.

It made it to Wales! :pac: https://www.c21media.net/s4c-begins-operation-transformation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hopefully more and more stick with it and also spread their wings into supporting club races.

Be less sandwiches & cake for you if they do that!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Be less sandwiches & cake for you if they do that!!!

I'll have the grub well digested before the masses finish :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thought that was obvious B. He'd use it as motivation to finish quicker

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

DNF today, only got through less than a mile today before having to pull up an call it a day. Every time I feel like I'm gaining some fitness I seem to get another niggle/injury. Frustrating.

Thought that was obvious B. He'd use it as motivation to finish quicker

Ah last year was a learning process for me...now I don't bother with trivia like cooldown or taking off sweaty clothes. It's straight to the community centre! :D

adrian522 wrote: »
    DNF today, only got through less than a mile today before having to pull up an call it a day. Every time I feel like I'm gaining some fitness I seem to get another niggle/injury. Frustrating.

That's disappointing. I had been following you on Strava and really thought you were out of the woods.

adrian522 wrote:

Would you set up a training log here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's disappointing. I had been following you on Strava and really thought you were out of the woods.

It's the hope that kills you! Hopefully be back at it next week sometime.

Ha ha, I have a training log I just never post in it. I'd like to resurrect it once I get back to some consistent training. I find it depressing posting about injury and rehab all the time.

I had intended to post once 2019 got started so I may do that going forward.

Link is in my signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I feel your pain - damaged my hip flexor on 01st and further damaged it on the 06th. Would have still walked it today but stupid flu. Rest up and next one will be amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Or at least revive the old one.

And why not? Been a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

From a parkrun person...
    “Record number of parkrun finishers today: 12,326 at 78 events (last week was also a record)

5 years ago when there were just 6 parkrun Ireland locations, half of whom recorded an attendance record, and there were a total of 1,622 finishers. We have come a long way!”

Fantastic to see the growth and so many people getting out on a Saturday morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jaysus guys I never ever watch TV, but with the chat here about Operation Transformation (and I'd heard about it before) I watched it on RTE Player just now, and honestly it would bring a tear to a glass eye.

That girl whose baby died, God dammit that was heart wrenching.

I'll follow the show now, thanks for the heads up on it.

adrian522 wrote:
    Ha ha, I have a training log I just never post in it. I'd like to resurrect it once I get back to some consistent training. I find it depressing posting about injury and rehab all the time.

All joking aside you should post. At worst you'll get feedback on some stupid stuff you're attempting. Honestly having a log and posting regularly will keep you honest.

All joking aside you should post. At worst you'll get feedback on some stupid stuff you're attempting. Honestly having a log and posting regularly will keep you honest.

He's not trying anything stupid. He just can't get rid of an injury no matter how sensible a recovery program he follows.

Yeah, I don't think there is much more I could have done in this instance but the point remains that if I had been logging I'd be getting some advice and feedback that I don't get when I'm not logging.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote:
    He's not trying anything stupid. He just can't get rid of an injury no matter how sensible a recovery program he follows.

adrian522 wrote:
    Yeah, I don't think there is much more I could have done in this instance but the point remains that if I had been logging I'd be getting some advice and feedback that I don't get when I'm not logging.

Sorry to hear that man. Nothing worse. I thought maybe you were rushing the recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

So I got to do Hasenheide Parkrun in Berlin yesterday. Had a really great time. Very friendly bunch of runners and volunteers. The park itself is bleak and dreary especially considering the time of year and there was a lot of people selling drugs in the bushes but still fun. We were walking the wrong way until a very helpful girl shouted over from across the street and asked if we were going to Parkrun so she walked with us and gave us loads of info about the park and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

150 or so at the Mungret parkrun in Limerick yesterday, nice crowd and a nice course with the exception of a steep downhill section about 50 meters long which is tricky,

Quick question asi haven’t time to read all the posts, what are the best rated parkruns around the country, fastest, most scenic etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

150 or so at the Mungret parkrun in Limerick yesterday, nice crowd and a nice course with the exception of a steep downhill section about 50 meters long which is tricky,

Quick question asi haven’t time to read all the posts, what are the best rated parkruns around the country, fastest, most scenic etc?

https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/parkrun-ireland/
    Above is a link to elevation profiles of a lot of the Irish Parkruns. It's a year or more old so doesn't include the more recent ones, but a good indicator for flat to hilly.

Out of the Parkruns I've done, in terms of most scenic I'd have to go for Lough Key and Bere Island. Avondale is another one, I've not done the Parkrun but its a lovely area.
    In terms of fastest, I've run some flattish Parkruns but my Parkrun pb is still Waterstown, which is a hilly b@$tard, but my local too so I've run it a lot more than any other course. St. Anne's is definitely a fast course and Shanganagh too

In this part of the country you won't find much quicker than Tralee. The only thing to slow you down there is a 180 degree turn x 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Of the 20 or so I’ve done (mainly midlands and west), buncrana erris and castlebar are the most scenic, with claremorris and mullingar being the best to post quick times.

I was a bit disappointed with Lough Key in that it’s all in woods and not even a glimpse of lake during the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I was a bit disappointed with Lough Key in that it’s all in woods and not even a glimpse of lake during the run.

You obviously weren't looking the right way then ;) When you go onto the island, you can see a pontoon and the lake on the right, sometimes boats are moored up there. Then further on, you get a couple of nice glimpses on the right again.

Erris is very scenic, around a lake and ocean views at points of the run and walking back to the car park. It's fairly flat and fast as well.

Oranmore is scenic as is Dungloe. Ballina is my local and I walk and run there frequently so am probably too used to it to appreciate the views, but visitors comment on how nice it is, with the river. The same with Sligo, as I'm there so often, I probably don't appreciate the scenery, but you can see Ben Bulben and the surrounds, not a flat course though.

I see Darndale had 2 people running yesterday, 34.23 was the first over the line, i think I missed my only chance of finishing first at a Parkrun:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I see Darndale had 2 people running yesterday, 34.23 was the first over the line, i think I missed my only chance of finishing first at a Parkrun:mad:

Darndale hasn't been on since November I believe due to issues with water on the course according to their Facebook page but they're hoping to go ahead next Saturday from what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

300 juniors at St Anne’s this morning ... highest ever participation in a junior event in Ireland and highest anywhere today!

What a morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

I didn't really embrace Parkrun fully till last year and now I love it.
    Had a family day out in Marlay on Saturday, my wife and I ran it, her first in about a year.
    Our 13 yr old ran with her friend whose grandad volunteers every week, it was his birthday and everyone shouted HB as they passed and then my 15yr old volunteered for the first time.
    I'll be there again on Saturday

• Advertisement

Wottle wrote: »
    I didn't really embrace Parkrun fully till last year and now I love it.
    Had a family day out in Marlay on Saturday, my wife and I ran it, her first in about a year.
    Our 13 yr old ran with her friend whose grandad volunteers every week, it was his birthday and everyone shouted HB as they passed and then my 15yr old volunteered for the first time.
    I'll be there again on Saturday

Excellent on your 15 yourself and the Grandfather volunteering.

I'd done a few volunteer roles, some of which weren't recorded but I mostly got that sorted with Fr.Collins now but my St.Annes roles were, anyway ~

Its only now that I'm out with a stress fracture and volunteering more than I'm seeing more and more the work that goes on to make Parkrun happen for us all now.

I'm really enjoying the volunteering as a result and I'm still not tired of people shouting "thanks volunteer".

I've been trying to encourage my daughter to volunteer with me, although she's not a runner, simply because its great craic that I know she'd enjoy and I'd secretly hope she'd eventually get the Parkrun bug.

I see lots of people with big Parkrun numbers but few if any volunteer roles, they don't know what they're missing out on and not completely their Parkrun experience IMO.

Time keeper again in Father Collins this weekend, any boardsies please say 'Hello, I might look big and grump but I promise I don't bite :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I've set myself a target of having volunteered 25 times by the end of 2019. I've 10 done after bar-code scanning last week, so have a fair bit to go. I do enjoy the reception that you generally get from runners/walkers when volunteering but I definitely miss it when I don't do the run.

I'll be pacing 20 minutes at Malahide tomorrow so that'll make a nice change.

I've set another target of doing 12 different parkruns this year, so I'll have to venture away from Malahide over the next few weeks. I live in Cabra so have a few choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I see lots of people with big Parkrun numbers but few if any volunteer roles, they don't know what they're missing out on and not completely their Parkrun experience IMO.

Yes, this. I think it's only fair, if you're getting a parkrun most weeks, to put something back in and volunteer too. Our local one recommends volunteering once every 6 weeks or so, which seems entirely fair. There are roles where you can still get your run in, too, such as setup, takedown, or pacing.

My plan for the year is to run 4 local, then visit another as a tourist, then volunteer at my local. That was also my plan for last year, though, and I completely and utterly failed at the tourism bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It does annoy me sometimes when I see people with loads of runs who never/rarely volunteer. But I just have to remind myself that they might have their reasons - parkrun might be the only run they get a week, they can't guarantee they will be there until night before/ that morning, they might do shift work and only parkrun when they are free, they might be afraid of volunteering. And likewise I have my reasons why I DO volunteer - to give something back, to ensure the event goes ahead, cos sometimes I can't be ar$ed running but I don't to miss out on the pre and post parkrun chats.

I do agree with your point about volunteering showing you a different side to parkrun and giving you a better appreciation for the event. I've tried my hand at a good few of the roles but I didn't appreciate things like the finish time or place being accurate, forgetting my barcode, accidently taking home a finish token etc until I got more involved. I am still nervous before some of the roles, like timing, scanning, run director in case I mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Can anyone recommend a decent training plan for someone beginning to run? I did a couple of Parkruns over Christmas and really enjoyed them, and would like to use them as motivation to getting fitter.

I'm mid-40s, have a decent of fitness, and managed to go just under 27 minutes on my second race.

Ideally, the training program wouldn't be too complex for someone starting out, and no mention of miles. Most of the 5k training plans I've found online start talking about your ideal race pace in miles!!

Hopefully I've posted this in the right place, if not can ye point me in the right direction?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

I do agree with your point about volunteering showing you a different side to parkrun and giving you a better appreciation for the event. I've tried my hand at a good few of the roles but I didn't appreciate things like the finish time or place being accurate, forgetting my barcode, accidently taking home a finish token etc until I got more involved. I am still nervous before some of the roles, like timing, scanning, run director in case I mess it up.

What I'm only seeing recently, and its very frustrating as a time keeper is the Parkrun 'double dipper'.. The runner who finished, gets scanned then goes back out on the course to run with a friend etc then enters the funnel a second time.

Its impossible to remember everyone through and then when you're asking them if they've been through already (you might know but you're unsure anyway) and they look at you like you've ten heads.

Not too bad if there's a gap in runners and you can try ask again or make it clearer but then then runners are coming at you you've no alternative but to time them in a second time. Its really annoying.

Maybe run directors could make it clear that we don't like 'double dippers' and once through the funnel not to do it a second time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Good jib! wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent training plan for someone beginning to run? I did a couple of Parkruns over Christmas and really enjoyed them, and would like to use them as motivation to getting fitter.

I'm mid-40s, have a decent of fitness, and managed to go just under 27 minutes on my second race.

Ideally, the training program wouldn't be too complex for someone starting out, and no mention of miles. Most of the 5k training plans I've found online start talking about your ideal race pace in miles!!

Hopefully I've posted this in the right place, if not can ye point me in the right direction?

Most simply, head outside, run for 10 minutes, turn around and head back home.
    Do the same again tomorrow,
    Take a day off.
    Do the same 10 minutes again.
    Next day run for 15 minutes, turn around and head back home.
    Next day run for 10 mintues, turn around and head back home.
    Take a day off.
    Continue doing variations of that.

You can get more complicated from that with various plans.

Is your goal just to get faster over 5k? When you say no mention of miles do you mean a plan that involves running for certain time rather than for a specific distance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Maybe run directors could make it clear that we don't like 'double dippers' and once through the funnel not to do it a second time.

They'll usually cop on themselves eventually, but the simplest thing is to click for everyone going through the funnel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

robinph wrote: »

I've seen horses at Darndale and swans on the path at Fr Collins, but gators? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Is your goal just to get faster over 5k? When you say no mention of miles do you mean a plan that involves running for certain time rather than for a specific distance?

Yup, the goal is to get faster over 5k. Regarding a training plan, it doesn't matter to me whether I need to run for a certain time and/or distance, it's just that I only want to use kms, especially seeing as it's a 5K, and my watch is in kms, and it's what I use.

Say I aim for a 25 minutes 5k, it's easier to aim for a 5min/km pace, rather than a 8min/mile (or whaterver) and then multiply by 3 point whatever. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Can you not just convert it yourself?

Yup, the goal is to get faster over 5k. Regarding a training plan, it doesn't matter to me whether I need to run for a certain time and/or distance, it's just that I only want to use kms, especially seeing as it's a 5K, and my watch is in kms, and it's what I use.

Say I aim for a 25 minutes 5k, it's easier to aim for a 5min/km pace, rather than a 8min/mile (or whaterver) and then multiply by 3 point whatever. :)

https://runningtrainingplan.com/conversion_mphkph.php

There ya go. It'll save you messing around with all that complicated arithmetic! :pac:

Don't worry about the pace and what it says on your watch during training runs. Just run, and probably slower than you are currently doing. If you are at a pace that you wouldn't be able to hold a conversation then you are going too fast and should slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    It does annoy me sometimes when I see people with loads of runs who never/rarely volunteer. But I just have to remind myself that they might have their reasons - parkrun might be the only run they get a week, they can't guarantee they will be there until night before/ that morning, they might do shift work and only parkrun when they are free, they might be afraid of volunteering. And likewise I have my reasons why I DO volunteer - to give something back, to ensure the event goes ahead, cos sometimes I can't be ar$ed running but I don't to miss out on the pre and post parkrun chats.

Oh it really annoys me. I questioned a public figure recently as he's having a great time on tour yet hasn't volunteered once. Come on like.

If I do a parkrun I'm guaranteed to scan the results and check those with big runs and hardly any volunteer roles, I am guaranteed to rant.

When I was off injured I volunteered a lot and so was mainly given the clipboard as it involved less movement. People are hilarious with their reasons for not volunterring, if you can make it up to run you can make it up to volunteer.

Anyone who brags to me about the amount of parkruns they have done will always get a follow up of 'I hope you volunteer too'. The answer is rarely yes, normally I must volunteer more or avoiding eye contact.

And relax.........................Ok, rant over for now I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I tend to follow Hal Higdon training plans. Loads of different distances and levels to choose from. https://www.halhigdon.com

I've got my volunteer top. I've generally done at least 4 times a year volunteering. I did about 12 times in 2017, but zero in 2018. And I've no problem at all with having zero volunteerings on my record for 2018.

It's just the way things have worked out that in order to manage the family about the place for the last year it's not been possible for me to volunteer, but between us we have provided another member of the family volunteering at an event at the same time as I've been wrangling a small person around. It happened that we were able to provide lots of volunteerings when the small person could be strapped in, now they can't be things have changed and I doubt I'll be doing much more in the way of volunteering for a few years to come.

Volunteering is optional. I'll do it if I can, but I certainly don't feel guilty when I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

robinph wrote: »
    I've got my volunteer top. I've generally done at least 4 times a year volunteering. I did about 12 times in 2017, but zero in 2018. And I've no problem at all with having zero volunteerings on my record for 2018.

It's just the way things have worked out that in order to manage the family about the place for the last year it's not been possible for me to volunteer, but between us we have provided another member of the family volunteering at an event at the same time as I've been wrangling a small person around. It happened that we were able to provide lots of volunteerings when the small person could be strapped in, now they can't be things have changed and I doubt I'll be doing much more in the way of volunteering for a few years to come.

Volunteering is optional. I'll do it if I can, but I certainly don't feel guilty when I don't.

I have to say I am disappointed to read this. You are always so involved and helpful in the thread and aware of all events.

I thought you came across as someone who ran them weekly, or fairly frequently, so assumed that you would have done event set-up or as you are fast to scan afterwards.

I don't think that is good enough if you do run weekly and then not once to volunteer in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

The volunteer thing can get a little messy.

You have the extremes on both sides. I have 105 runs and 96 volunteer events. I dont mind if i loss a run to volunteer.

Darren wood who has the most parkruns in the world has a 50% ratio for runs to volunteering.

end of December parkrun had the first person to enter both 500 clubs.

some people wont volunteer as they volunteer elsewhere, some cant hang around long enough to volunteer. As Castletown parkrun we celebrate the volunteer but also push the roles where you can still run. It works most the time but like all clubs the main volunteers come from the same pool each week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement