Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

RayCun wrote: »
    Sounds like you should ask for arbitration rather than lodge a complaint

I've contacted head office, I just wasn't sure how to last night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the dog can run in a straight line then as long as it's not a land owner issue, or some very crowded tight sections on the course, then I don't have any issue with dogs at parkrun... and I'm terrified of dogs. The only problem is where the dog is clearly uninterested and running on the opposite side of the path to the owner and therefore blocks the path or the owner is unaware and isn't following the dog or paying attention to other people, otherwise no problem.

Pretty much the same expectations as for any other parkrunner, run in a straight line and be aware of what is going on around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If you can find out from parkrun HQ what the complaints were about to see if a resolution can be made. Maybe there's a misunderstanding, maybe someone is terrified or hates dogs (not a valid compliant to parkrun HQ imo), maybe something has happened which you are genuinely unaware of but you do come across as very aware of your responsibilities as a parkrunner with a dog.

Do other people go to your parkrun with dogs who maybe aren't as controlled as yours is? As in someone else's dog might have upset someone and they've reported it as all dogs at parkrun. You probably don't want to give out the name of the parkrun but what kind of setting is the parkrun in? If it's a town park perhaps somebody is making a compliant about dogs behaviour in that location and tarring parkrun with the brush?

I remember you and your dog at my local parkrun - beautiful dog and so well behaved, no issues from my viewpoint other than I haven't seen you back!

There are a few dogs at this particular parkrun, it's a forest setting.

I'm going to wait for hq to get back to me, if we know what the complaints actually are, maybe we can find a way round it.

Thanks everyone, it's just very upsetting as the Saturday morning ritual is very important to us, for some it's really important to their mental health.

Lots of tourism coming up, the alphabet has been neglected a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Doonmore

Is it just one dog that is banned? It seems strange that just one dog would be banned.

I know at a parkrun I was at a few weeks ago we couldn't hear the RD talking because these huge dogs were barking down the front. They let these particular dogs off earlier than the runners but there was a few people around me that were scared of them. I suppose if people can't hear what's being said then that could be an issue and if people are scared of them it could be an issue too.

Dogs aren't allowed at another parkrun I ran as the paths were too narrow. It's hard to know why this call was made without all the facts. I know parkrun try and be as inclusive as possible so the RD wouldn't take a decision like this without grounds I'd think/hope.

Doonmore wrote: »
    Is it just one dog that is banned? It seems strange that just one dog would be banned.

I know at a parkrun I was at a few weeks ago we couldn't hear the RD talking because these huge dogs were barking down the front. They let these particular dogs off earlier than the runners but there was a few people around me that were scared of them. I suppose if people can't hear what's being said then that could be an issue and if people are scared of them it could be an issue too.

Dogs aren't allowed at another parkrun I ran as the paths were too narrow. It's hard to know why this call was made without all the facts. I know parkrun try and be as inclusive as possible so the RD wouldn't take a decision like this without grounds I'd think/hope.

Strange, your first ever post on boards

No, all dogs have now been banned, as I'm sure you know. I'm aware that my posts are being discussed elsewhere, nice of you to join boards to join the discussion.

Of course I appreciate that people are scared of dogs, and I respect that, I'm the same with birds and for some strange reason, boat hulls. However, it's a public forest, we always meet dogs out on the trails, including one man who runs there every week with an off lead dog. We've tried to encourage him to join in and put the dog on a lead but he won't. He'll still be there every Saturday as he doesn't do park run. As will the big collie cross that runs at people and whose owner gets really angry if asked to control the dog. A real shame that the man who has been walking his dog in the forest every day for years and who recently signed up to volunteer won't be able to anymore. He'll still walk his dog there though, in the middle of parkrun.

I brought a friend along to that park run, she told me she couldn't hear what the RD was saying because of everyone talking around her.

You're absolutely right, some park runs aren't suitable for dogs, which is why we avoid them, Strokestown being the one I assume you're referring to. I'm not unreasonable and I don't want to put anyone in danger, human or canine.

Surely, instead of banning people without telling them why, it would be better to have a proper discussion and see if there could be a solution found? I have a really simple solution, one that works really well in the UK, but nobody has asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

muddypaws wrote: »
    Surely, instead of banning people without telling them why, it would be better to have a proper discussion and see if there could be a solution found? I have a really simple solution, one that works really well in the UK, but nobody has asked.

I'll bite.

What's your solution?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

It's the ED that has told us that complaints have been made direct to head office about dogs but won't tell us what the complaints are. We run with parkrun specific leads, which are short and were agreed with pr a few years ago in the UK. Incredibly frustrating as we are very responsible with the dogs, including telling people which side we're passing on etc - although people with headphones in obviously don't hear.

Hope you get this resolved we never had any issue when you and clancy ran with us in much the same type setting and route

I'll bite.

What's your solution?.

I've put it to head office, so we'll wait and see what rhey come back with.

Hopefully we can find a run tomorrow that isn't iced off, and I hope everyone has a good run/walk if they manage to get out in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could they not get dog walkers to start at the back if it is a big issue? They request buggies to go at the back in some parkruns so it is not unheard of. To ban anything from a parkrun seems daft to me. I thought they were all inclusive?
    At the end of the day noone can stop anyone doing what they want in a public park so to ban them from an event seems silly when all they can actually do is refuse to give a result.

So you know what the issue is but are pretending that you don't :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Is this for real? I regularly hear people talk about Parkrun PBs and despite some protestations they are a race for many who take part. It may be a race against other people or to improve their best time but either way it is a 5k in which they want to perform to their best. They should be able to do so without worrying about a dog or its lead tripping them up. There are 167.5 other hours in a week where someone can run/ walk their dog. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is this for real? I regularly hear people talk about Parkrun PBs and despite some protestations they are a race for many who take part. It may be a race against other people or to improve their best time but either way it is a 5k in which they want to perform to their best. They should be able to do so without worrying about a dog or its lead tripping them up. There are 167.5 other hours in a week where someone can run/ walk their dog. :D

The simple fact though is that, officially, bar unsuitable courses, parkrun welcomes runners with dogs, provided the ‘rules’ re dogs are observed. So it doesn’t matter whether that’s not ideal for some other runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I know where you’re coming from, but dogs are officially welcome at parkrun, so long as they’re on a short lead and one per runner.

I’ve seen someone tripped by a dog at parkrun... but a random dog in the park. The canicross guys like Muddypaws are very careful in my experience.

Murph_D wrote: »
    The simple fact though is that, officially, parkrun welcomes runners with dogs, provided the ‘rules’ re dogs are observed. So it doesn’t matter whether that’s not ideal for some other runners.

Oh I'm not questioning whether it is within the rules or not. It seems clear from many posts that it is within the 'rules'. Maybe the rules need changing.

annapr wrote: »
    I know where you’re coming from, but dogs are officially welcome at parkrun, so long as they’re on a short lead and one per runner.

I’ve seen someone tripped by a dog at parkrun... but a random dog in the park. The canicross guys like Muddypaws are very careful in my experience.

Again no dispute on this point. I find the doubt as to whether a dog might suddenly decide to change course while on a lead to be very off putting. It has happened enough times out running for me to assume it won't happen at Parkrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

You can’t pick and choose what parts of Parkrun you like and don’t like.

Given the amount of goodwill towards park runs, it’s an odd attitude to tell other park users when they can use their local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smokingdick

Again no dispute on this point. I find the doubt as to whether a dog might suddenly decide to change course while on a lead to be very off putting. It has happened enough times out running for me to assume it won't happen at Parkrun.

If they were on a short lead and ran in straight line it would be ok but I have regularly noticed dogs on one side of path and owners on other side making it next to impossible for other runners to pass

Djoucer wrote: »
    You can’t pick and choose what parts of Parkrun you like and don’t like.

Given the amount of goodwill towards park runs, it’s an odd attitude to tell other park users when they can use their local park.

I'm not trying to tell them when they "can", nor am I suggesting that they can't. In my local park there are a group of owners who meet to train their dogs on a regular basis. I can run in amongst them if I so choose...but I see no need to be a nuisance to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If they were on a short lead and ran in straight line it would be ok but I have regularly noticed dogs on one side of path and owners on other side making it next to impossible for other runners to pass
    Did you mention it to the RD with a description of the runner? RD then speaks to the runner. What happens after that depends on how reasonable the dog owner is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

In non dog related parkrun news... keep an eye on event facebook pages in the morning, in case of ice cancellations.

Heard Castletown already cancelled.

I brought a friend along to that park run, she told me she couldn't hear what the RD was saying because of everyone talking around her.
    That's relatively common especially at the bigger parkruns. When I started parkrunning (that's a word, right? :pac:) I think it took about 3 parkruns before I could work out what was being said at the run briefing. Even when the RD is using a megaphone it can still be difficult to make out what's being said if people are having a conversation around you.
    Probably 90% of the runners have heard it dozens of times already and it's mainly relevant for new parkrunners.
    People continuing to chat during the briefing don't think about the newbies though. :(

annapr wrote: »
    In non dog related parkrun news... keep an eye on event facebook pages in the morning, in case of ice cancellations.

Heard Castletown already cancelled.

Isn't that mostly on trail? I thought that one would have a better chance of avoiding cancellation than those on tarmac. I was thinking of going there for that very reason. I guess it'll be 8am Facebook browsing.

http://www.parkrun.ie/cancellations/

Lough Key also canceled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Cabinteely are having a party tomorrow, it's our 200th parkrun :) of course there will be cake, and a surprise eh 'celebrity' marshal (you could say for the kids / big kids!). If your local parkrun has been cancelled and you're looking for somewhere to go, do pay us a visit!

Everyone welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Cabinteely are having a party tomorrow, it's our 200th parkrun :) of course there will be cake, and a surprise eh 'celebrity' marshal (you could say for the kids / big kids!). If your local parkrun has been cancelled and you're looking for somewhere to go, do pay us a visit!

Everyone welcome!

I'll be there after 3 months out injured can't wait to get back to those delightful hills :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have never seen that in my 150 odd parkruns.

Everyone welcome!

Love Cabinteely. Won't make it tomorrow but will definitely be back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

And there are 167.5 hours to push a buggy, or go for a walk, or run slow with your kid, or faster with the 'competition'
    The fact is that dogs are wlecome at parkrun, it is well established that they are. So if people ( including myself) are striving for a PB, dogs buggies, kids and walkers are part of the package.
    If you don't like that, like I said above, demand your money back.

cjt156 wrote: »
    And there are 167.5 hours to push a buggy, or go for a walk, or run slow with your kid, or faster with the 'competition'
    The fact is that dogs are wlecome at parkrun, it is well established that they are. So if people ( including myself) are striving for a PB, dogs buggies, kids and walkers are part of the package.
    If you don't like that, like I said above, demand your money back.

Oops...the cult strikes back pmsl

• Advertisement

Joking aside...as I have said twice already I fully understand that the rules of Parkrun allow for running with dogs on leads. What I cannot understand is how anyone can be surprised about complaints when so many people have a fear of dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Anyone who is bring a dog to parkrun is going to make sure they are friendly and on a lead - if not they are idiot. Parkrun should be for all including our four legged friends (I don't have a dog)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Don’t forget your barkcode. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

barkrun

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

This is an example

imageshack.com/i/pl8H781Yj

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

This is an example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Griffeen went ahead! -2°

The wife ran it, but my calf flared up again during the week, so no running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Nice frosty run in Dundalk today. Decent enough numbers considering the weather. The coffee and cake probably helped that though.

EDIT: Turns out there was 142 today. Didn't seem like that out on the course.

This is an example

Not doubting it happens but you said you 'regularly' see it and I am saying that it is not the norm in my 153 runs across 10 different park runs.

Nice morning in St Annes. Cold but not icey or slippy. I think I was the only one in tshirt and shorts :D. Got a few comments from other runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Used our alternative route this morning due to ice on the start/finish area but all went well despite the cold. Great turnout of over 100 too on such a morning.

• Advertisement

DeepBlue wrote: »
    When I started parkrunning (that's a word, right? :pac:)

Nope, its 'parkrun running' :p

Your's truly, Pedantic Pete :D

Done my first parkrun since the stress fracture, but as a mentor on a C25k group we have at Father Collins.

I'm really enjoying the mentor role with the C25k group and its a nice way to putting in a parkrun run while resting this injury (although I've ran a beach 5k during the week).

Due to ice Father Collins course was changed slightly and all went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Headed to Tyrrelstown this morning. Frosty but not slippy, great morning for it! First time there - nice flat course, 3 loops, and a great group of volunteers. Couldn't stick around for coffee unfortunately.....next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Big thank you to all the marshals who stood in the cold for the guts of 60mins this morning. Helped with set up but at least I could jog around, but having marshaled myself (in much better weather) I know how chilly it can be standing in the one spot. So a big, big thank you to all the volunteers this morning and a gentle reminder that giving a dig out every 10 runs or so as a volunteer is not that big an ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Nope, its 'parkrun running' :p

Your's truly, Pedantic Pete :D

Done my first parkrun since the stress fracture, but as a mentor on a C25k group we have at Father Collins.

I'm really enjoying the mentor role with the C25k group and its a nice way to putting in a parkrun run while resting this injury (although I've ran a beach 5k during the week).

Due to ice Father Collins course was changed slightly and all went well.

Father Collins parkrun are not attached to any C25k group . parkrun want our events to be as non-commercial as possible.

https://wiki.parkrun.com/index.php/Pre-run_Briefing

AlFoley wrote: »
    Father Collins parkrun are not attached to any C25k group . parkrun want our events to be as non-commercial as possible.

https://wiki.parkrun.com/index.php/Pre-run_Briefing

Where did I suggest it had?. We ran/walked at Father Collins, I was including the location not the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Was listening to the most recent podcast from WIth Me Now - called a perfect storm of wrongness. I think just over 50 mins in there’s a bit of a discussion about dogs at parkrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Great start at Mallow Town parkrun with 228 finishers on a nice crisp sunny morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

First sub 20 today since 2012, on a high since.
    Thanks to the volunteers in that cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Headed to Tyrrelstown this morning. Frosty but not slippy, great morning for it! First time there - nice flat course, 3 loops, and a great group of volunteers. Couldn't stick around for coffee unfortunately.....next time

I was there too for the first time. What a lovely park, I'd say its very pleasant in the summer. Watching the swans in the lake and the planes coming in to land were nice distractions along the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Parkrun success is almost outgrowing a lot of the parks they are held in. Its been happening at my local one lately

Today we had a walker with a dog on a 2m lead starting very near the front, updating facebook status and paying no attention to her surroundings. This has happened a few times lately.

Last week we had 4 walkers starting in a line about 2m from the front.

Its at a stage where there needs to be clearly defined starting areas. Walkers and those with dogs need to be at the back at the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement