Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why parkrun do everything via facebook. I've been trying to volunteer for the local one this week. I've sent two emails to the email address mentioned on the website as well as selecting the "opt-in" for this parkrun but have heard nothing back from them.

Yet today I see them posting up on facebook and twitter looking for volunteers, doesn't make any sense to me.
    The email system is being updated to use gmail so hopefully teams can become more reactive as they will now get notifications on their phones and can respond more quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I'm not sure why parkrun do everything via facebook. I've been trying to volunteer for the local one this week. I've sent two emails to the email address mentioned on the website as well as selecting the "opt-in" for this parkrun but have heard nothing back from them.

Yet today I see them posting up on facebook and twitter looking for volunteers, doesn't make any sense to me.

While I am in no way a fan of the Book of Faces, you can have many admins on a fb page (such as a parkrun's page) but it's much harder to set up an email inbox to forward to several participants. It's possible the Event Director monitors the email inbox but s/he may not be the next week's Run Director, so others use facebook instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I'm not sure why parkrun do everything via facebook.
    If you want to skip all that Internet malarkey just approach the Run Director after your run and ask him/her to stick your name down for the following week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, I'm not running at the moment, hence the volunteering. The usual parkrun are ok for volunteers for this week so I was trying a different one but also close by!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is inconsistent between different events as well with varying degrees of use of any/ all/ none of Facebook, Twitter, email, officially created by parkrun Facebook groups and some that use "fans of X parkrun" groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Which would be the closest parkrun to Kilmainham?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Which would be the closest parkrun to Kilmainham?

Probably Waterstown or Brickfields..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

fletch wrote: »
    The email system is being updated to use gmail so hopefully teams can become more reactive as they will now get notifications on their phones and can respond more quickly.

Why is gmail an advantage? Any email provider/account can be set up on a phone and push notifications as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Murph_D wrote: »
    Why is gmail an advantage? Any email provider/account can be set up on a phone and push notifications as well.
    For some reason it wasn't available for the parkrun email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

robinph wrote: »
    It is inconsistent between different events as well with varying degrees of use of any/ all/ none of Facebook, Twitter, email, officially created by parkrun Facebook groups and some that use "fans of X parkrun" groups.
    Maybe it's an age thing, but I prefer email over facebook and the rest of it for volunteering. The volunteer system still can only send reminders by email. So, all events should be using email as a minimum. I can understand that smaller events might use a more casual system though, eg writing names in a book. Though I still think they should monitor the email as well. The switch to gmail should make it easier to do other things like document and photo sharing. It's apparently better on mobile devices too. I think they are taking this opportunity to simplify the email addresses. So, it will be just 'eventname@parkrun.com', but the old addresses will continue to work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

email in a private capacity has been almost superseded at this point by multiple other mediums. Even Facebook is more of an older demographic (but probably appropriate to the age demographic of parkrun).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    email in a private capacity has been almost superseded at this point by multiple other mediums. Even Facebook is more of an older demographic (but probably appropriate to the age demographic of parkrun).

Need different things for different purposes, but as soon as you invest heavily into one medium you can be sure it will go out of fashion and you'll be left with something completely useless. But email isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and the fact that it's not owned by anyone helps that. All of the other alternative methods of communicating are reliant on individual companies to keep them running so the moment one of them goes bust or some scandal hits them or they change the colour scheme and annoy the users they could drop out of fashion very quickly.

As far as Facebook goes though the likes of Twitter and Facebook can be good for the short sharp messages of "we need some volunteers to volunteer" that doesn't require any interaction other than people replying back "me please". But they are no good for the individual results details (that should actually now have the option of being via an app) or the longer weekly marketing emails that whilst people may ignore on email, they would totally ignore on Facebook/ Instagram/ Twitter.

As an aside, I was surprised when completing an application for a client through a UK Government website recently that they now consider an email address to be something compulsory that everyone has. Got a warning about if a phone number was entered or not, but on leaving the email blank extra warnings about it being an actual offence not to supply an email address popped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

robinph wrote: »

That's a drawback of large organisations that rely massively on volunteers to do the day to day stuff. Volunteers do things in a manner that works for them - it's hard to dictate that things be done otherwise (aside from core policy, rules and safeguarding).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Event team should be checking email regularly... but there is a migration going on this week so that might be slowing things down (gotta love those technology improvements)

... I hate to hear of volunteer offers being ignored... :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No worries Anna, sorted now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

py wrote: »
    Not sure if this was the park were the dog issues arose or that it's been pushed from HQ

https://twitter.com/Tymonparkrun/status/1092847009873231872

Thats pretty much the default procedure regarding dogs. One only on a short lead and not if you have a buggy.

Gmail will be a major improvement for event teams. Allow for events teams to have mail on mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Taupo parkrun this morning, mostly tourists. Amazing. They did say it was flat but New Zealand flat and Irish flat differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Lazare wrote: »
    Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

Doesn't matter either way. It's not a race.

Anyway, I doubt there's more than a single figure amount of parkruns that start so narrow that that's an issue.

It doesn't matter if it's a race or not. If there are people running then they should naturally start at the front.

It's common courtesy for people who are walking to let those who want to run it go first. The Parkruns aren't just for walkers, they are for everybody.

I don't see how this can be an issue

RayCun wrote: »
    People don't do it deliberately, they don't know any better. If they keep coming back, they'll realize they should start further back, or maybe it will come up in a chat. But it's important to keep things friendly and relaxed so they do come back.

A lot of people do it all the time. I see it week in week out.

When I walk with the dog I always start at the back. You do see the same people walking from the front which is annoying for runners and it's completely unnecessary. When I've volunteered I have mentioned it to people.

It doesn't bother me specifically as I will never be getting a great time but I can see how it must be infuriating for the runners who are trying for pbs, etc.

pac_man wrote: »
    My parkrun suggests that people running sub 20 get themselves forward to the front.It's
    intention is purely down to safety. It's hardly exclusionary to be making such a suggestion.

Absolutely not. It makes complete sense in every aspect. It doesn't exclude anybody. It's simple common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bravestaar wrote: »

It doesn't bother me specifically as I will never be getting a great time but I can see how it must be infuriating for the runners who are trying for pbs, etc.

Walkers and walk&jogs may also be chasing a pb.
    Personally I see it as part of the charm of parkrun that you need a certain awareness and craft to negotiate the first 500 metres. If you need to line the walkers at the back in order to clear the way to a pb then it's not really a pure parkrun pb. Do a solo run or a proper race instead.

Personally I see it as part of the charm of parkrun that you need a certain awareness and craft to negotiate the first 500 metres. If you need to line the walkers at the back in order to clear the way to a pb then it's not really a pure parkrun pb. Do a solo run or a proper race instead.

What? You see it as a charm than you need an awareness and craft to negotiate the first 500 metres? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Nobody has said line the walkers at the back.

I, as a frequent walker, will start near the back because it's common courtesy. Starting at the front would be downright rude.

Why get in people's way ? What would I have to gain exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Besides all that if you're chasing a parkrun PB then you're going to be already clued in as to where to start and not get yourself caught up in anyone.

Even in the bigger events, I'm thinking from my own experience, St Annes and Malahide Castle then get to the front early. If you dilly dally around waffling to people you've only yourself to blame if you're caught up in a position less than favorable for a PB.

This goes for races too. Experience should tell you you need to be up front early or risk getting caught up with walkers. I've been guilty and have uttered silent (or I hope so) curses 'aw for fvcks sake' but I've only myself to blame and I've never had this at a parkrun because its simply not what parkrun is about.

And all that aside if you're a fast runner on a 2 or 3 lap parkrun you're going to come across walkers and slow runners sooner or later so why stress where anyone starts at the beginning!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sub 17 from a JM11-14 at Stretford today - madness!

I set a big double buggy PB, took over a minute off but missed sub 30 by 3 seconds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dub001

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience of parkruns in the Sheffield area. I will be staying in Sheffield city centre in a couple of months time. There appears to be a few parkruns to choose from so I would appreciate any recommendations taking into account how feasible they are when travelling from the city centre.

Thank you

Besides all that if you're chasing a parkrun PB then you're going to be already clued in as to where to start and not get yourself caught up in anyone.

Even in the bigger events, I'm thinking from my own experience, St Annes and Malahide Castle then get to the front early. If you dilly dally around waffling to people you've only yourself to blame if you're caught up in a position less than favorable for a PB.

This goes for races too. Experience should tell you you need to be up front early or risk getting caught up with walkers. I've been guilty and have uttered silent (or I hope so) curses 'aw for fvcks sake' but I've only myself to blame and I've never had this at a parkrun because its simply not what parkrun is about.

And all that aside if you're a fast runner on a 2 or 3 lap parkrun you're going to come across walkers and slow runners sooner or later so why stress where anyone starts at the beginning!.

I personally don't stress about it because I will never be at the front. But I think it's common decency to have respect for the faster people.

The Parkrun is for everyone but it's just common sense for the walkers not to clog up the front. It's common sense and decency.

In any race that I have been lapped in before it's a lot more sporadic at that stage so it's only the start that is effected really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satta Massagana

I was going to suggest setting up Parkrace.
    Have the serious runners go off at 9am, but its difficult to word it without offending someone or going against the ethos of Parkrun.

I ran St.Annes yesterday. Lovely run, can see why its so popular. I loved that wide straight to the finish. Start was very cramped though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Personally I think there are plenty of races around to make this idea a non starter. Also you would be asking alot of volunteers.
    Anne's is a bit tight at the start. If I am going for a pb I would start fairly close to the front (maybe 3 or 4 rows back) otherwise you just need to take the hit in the first 500m.
    The sub 20 guys shouldn't really have an issue as they should line themselves up at the very front. It is the mid rangers who are more likely to see traffic at the start.

I personally don't stress about it because I will never be at the front. But I think it's common decency to have respect for the faster people.

The Parkrun is for everyone but it's just common sense for the walkers not to clog up the front. It's common sense and decency.

In any race that I have been lapped in before it's a lot more sporadic at that stage so it's only the start that is effected really.

Oh I agree 100%, but as the saying goes about common sense 'its not that common.

I'd never start at the front either, not purposely anyway and esp not somewhere like St. Annes.. Somewhere like Father Collins its less of a problem, the start is probably 15 or 20 mtrs wide the pack is usually only a few rows deep. I'd guess that inside the first 50m most people will have found a position and pace they're happy enough with.

Right, I've done this one to death I think.

I'd a nice parkrun again yesterday. As I said in an earlier post I'm a mentor on a c25k group and loving it. It also came at the right time for me, I'd just been given the nod from my physio to start back with a few gentle runs after my fibula stress fracture.

The group has just finished week III and getting a gentle introduction to parkrun, and judging from their comments re. parkrun emails and times they've been bitten by the parkrun bug :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did my last Lough Key park run yesterday as the dog ban is now in effect. I know I could do it without a dog but I'm not a runner, I'm a canicrosser.

We had a good chat with the ED and after getting a message from a friend yesterday, our ban pales into insignificance really. She lives in the UK and has spina bifida. After listening to me raving about park run last year she went along to her local one, she volunteered a couple of times and then joined in on her hand cycle. Apparently complaints from other participants led to the apparatus now being on the website as being banned.
    I realise that technically it's a bike but it's powered by her, someone could push her in a wheelchair, or she could use an electric chair or her mobility scooter but that wouldn't be her doing it. She can't afford a racing wheelchair and unfortunately is now very disillusioned with park run. There have to be rules, of course there do but it's a real shame that it's not as inclusive as I'd thought.
    All I seem to have done recently is complain about park run, I do love it and am looking forward to some tourism next week and a volunteering stint the following week

• Advertisement

Has anyone here went and got a parkrun tattoo?.

I've a Judo symbol tattoo on one leg, so why not add a parkrun tattoo with it?.

(My other leg has a Led Zeppelin 4 symbols tattoo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'm not sure if the scanners can scan a tattoo :p

The parkrun logo or your barcode?

muddypaws wrote: »
    The parkrun logo or your barcode?

The little tree logo

Personally I think there are plenty of races around to make this idea a non starter. Also you would be asking alot of volunteers.
    Anne's is a bit tight at the start. If I am going for a pb I would start fairly close to the front (maybe 3 or 4 rows back) otherwise you just need to take the hit in the first 500m.
    The sub 20 guys shouldn't really have an issue as they should line themselves up at the very front. It is the mid rangers who are more likely to see traffic at the start.

St. Anne's has a lovely finish though, it makes up for the start.

I didn't realise anyone would be that into Parkruns.

I love that finish. Its a ball breaker, but exciting too :D

I didn't realise anyone would be that into Parkruns.

Some might say the same about my Judo or Led Zepp tattoo's too. I've got lyrics from a song by The Doors on the inside of one of my biceps too.

Or tattoo's in general for that matter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Would you not be wary that parkrun may disband or rebrand and you’d be left with their logo? Would a generic running tattoo not be better if you were that way inclined? A pair of runners or a running stick man or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well it’s a cult - it’s been decided. For the believers, it’s not about running, it’s about parkrunning (including walking, buggypushing, dogleading, kidbringing and all the rest). :p

quickbeam wrote: »
    Would you not be wary that parkrun may disband or rebrand and you’d be left with their logo? Would a generic running tattoo not be better if you were that way inclined? A pair of runners or a running stick man or something??

Nah wouldn't bother me, and I doubt its going anywhere for a very long time.

Like I said I have Led Zepp & The Doors tattoo's, they're both gone.

Getting a new tattoo for someone who likes getting tattoo's is like someone here finding an excuse to buy a new fancy pair of running shoes, or any pair.

Cyclists are the same for tyres and bike bits, I love Mister Postman Pat delivering some bike bits too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Ran Ardgillan for the first time yesterday. That hill at the finish is zero fun.

Does anyone else count the benches on their way down the Avenue? When you get to 6 it is time to put the boot down for the spectacular finish :pac:

Does anyone else count the benches on their way down the Avenue? When you get to 6 it is time to put the boot down for the spectacular finish :pac:

Damn you.

No I never did, until now :(

And now if I miss a count I'll be cursing you from a height :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Great idea. I always struggle with knowing how far there is to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the scanners can scan a tattoo :p

I have asked, and apparently, no, they can't :P

I am thinking of getting a tattoo later in the year to mark a significant birthday; if I do, it'll be a collection of symbols that mean something to me - my partner's and kids' names in ogham, a 20-sided dice, and so on - would definitely consider the parkrun symbol, too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

She lives in the UK and has spina bifida. After listening to me raving about park run last year she went along to her local one, she volunteered a couple of times and then joined in on her hand cycle. Apparently complaints from other participants led to the apparatus now being on the website as being banned.
    This is about the sh1ttiest thing I've ever heard. Who the hell objects to a person with disabilities taking part? Parkrun are worse to capitulate.

I can't see the justification for why they would ban hand cycles, whilst allowing self propelled wheelchairs and also wheelchairs that are being pushed by someone else and counting the occupant and the pusher and even motorised chairs. I get that there would be courses where they can't be used, but not sure what the difference is between allowing a regular self propelled chair and hand cycle could be?

Only thing I could think of would be the gearing meaning that it might be considered "unfair" to other wheelchairs. Except for that though they are no different in their footprint, manoeuvrability and speed to anything else like wheelchairs and buggys.

Edit:
    https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003630949-Can-I-parkrun-in-a-wheelchair-

Might be one for throwing into the flame pit that is the parkrun "discussion" group on Facebook and seeing what comes out the other side if anyone can give a reason for the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Did my last Lough Key park run yesterday as the dog ban is now in effect. I know I could do it without a dog but I'm not a runner, I'm a canicrosser.
    I seen Lough Key parkrun put up a post to say that from next weekend they will now be a dog free event. But they will still allow someone to bring their dog if they are volunteering.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I seen Lough Key parkrun put up a post to say that from next weekend they will now be a dog free event. But they will still allow someone to bring their dog if they are volunteering.

I wonder if that includes tail walking?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement