Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Did Glengarriff yesterday and I'll never complain about hills at other parkruns again. :eek:
    Next time I do Glengarriff though I'll bring crampons and ice axe. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Doing my 1st parkrun outside Ireland this weekend.
    Princes Park Liverpool.
    Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Doing my 1st parkrun outside Ireland this weekend.
    Princes Park Liverpool.
    Looking forward to it.

I’m sure you’re aware of this, but watch out for the earlier, 9am start at English Parkrun’s. Have a brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I’m sure you’re aware of this, but watch out for the earlier, 9am start at English Parkrun’s. Have a brilliant time.

I am indeed. Which is handy as booted out of the Airbnb at 11 so gives me plenty of time to get back n shower n whatnot.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Planning to visit Vicarstown for a bit of Parkrun tourism on Saturday - can anyone tell me if it is buggy-friendly? Won't be running with the buggy, just speed walking I'd say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

ionapaul wrote: »
    Planning to visit Vicarstown for a bit of Parkrun tourism on Saturday - can anyone tell me if it is buggy-friendly? Won't be running with the buggy, just speed walking I'd say :)

I’ve only done it once last summer and tbh i wouldn’t think so as it’s on the grass bank along the canal. Surface is good but would be bumpy for a buggy I’d think maybe if the wheels are large and your walk is not too brisk it might be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Did Glengarriff yesterday and I'll never complain about hills at other parkruns again. :eek:
    Next time I do Glengarriff though I'll bring crampons and ice axe. :pac:

It's a tough cookie isn't it? Think it's the 3rd hardest in Ireland in terms of hills etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What would numbers 1&2 be??

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What would numbers 1&2 be??

Cabinteely (Dublin), Castle Demense (Cork) and Castlehaven (Cork) are ranked as being more hilly

Cabinteely (Dublin), Castle Demense (Cork) and Castlehaven (Cork) are ranked as being more hilly
    While objectively Cabinteely has more elevation that is mainly due to having to do the one hill 3 times so you do have a bit of recovery for each iteration.
    Glengarriff seems to reserve the most of its elevation for that hill at about the 4k mark so it's a lot steeper and you're probably a bit wrecked by the time you get to it anyway. So, subjectively speaking at least, it feels tougher.
    I haven't done Castle Demense or Castlehaven yet. No doubt they will be memorable experiences. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have done Cabinteely and River Valley is tougher as is Mungret imo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I have done Cabinteely and River Valley is tougher as is Mungret imo

I've not run any of them so I'm not speaking from experience. I was going off the link below in terms of elevation profile - I think it's about 18 months old or older so doesn't include Mungret and any of the more recently started parkruns.

That hill in River Valley looks like a beast!

https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/parkrun-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Catherina McKiernan ran my local parkrun in Vicarstown last Saturday. It was great to say I ran against an Olympic athlete! Nice lady, stayed around for photos with everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i would have both westport and sligo as easier runs than ballina, westport you get the benefit of a big run downhill, sligo i just dont find mentally as bad,that long uphill in the middle of ballina is a killer , its interesting that oldbridge and ballina are beside each other, ive done both a lot and i cant really split them in terms of times, i always thought oldbridge should be slightly easier / quicker but it never turns out that way .. will be heading for erriss soon though from looking at that table ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The time I did Castle Demesne in Macroom it had the same hill 2 or 3 times I think. I also think there is a second mini hill in it that is done a couple of times, plus an uphill finish.

Westport is tough enough. Long down hill which you can start off too fast on and then you turn around and have that incline for over a mile. If you have the wind on the downhill against you, you lose some of the benefit.

St Anne's is probably one of the flattest I've done plus Longford.

Claremorris is a lovely flat one too but a tight start and a few turns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

This Saturday Gorey parkrun says farewell to our home for the past 2 1/2 years as we relocate to the nearby Ramsfort Woods from the 4th May while Gorey Town Park is redeveloped. We will be sorry to say goodbye to the old park but we are also excited to see the relandscaped park and our very own coffee shop in the park. Anyone thinking about joining us at Gorey parkrun, please take note of our change in venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Wexford races are on this Saturday, so there will be no Johnstown park run.

Hoping to head up to Gorey Duzzie for your final one in the town park.

Similar to us, you are lucky to have an alternative location to move to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Is knockanacree woods included in that review ? I would suspect its the toughest ? Hilly doesnt always mean harddest. My PB is ~20:30 on a flat course 4 minutes longer in knockanacree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

YES, sorry. Forgot about Castlehaven. That's a very tough one. Pretty constant in terms of hills and a nice set of uphill steps before the finish. Didn't think steps were allowed on a parkrun course?

• Advertisement

cazzer22 wrote: »
    YES, sorry. Forgot about Castlehaven. That's a very tough one. Pretty constant in terms of hills and a nice set of uphill steps before the finish. Didn't think steps were allowed on a parkrun course?

I don't know the Castlehaven course at all but they don't mention anything about steps in the course description. Steps to finish sounds heart breaking or maybe it's to bring out the inner Rocky in you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

List of current cancellations due to Storm Hannah.

www.parkrun.ie/cancellations

478800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

Seems from their Facebook page that Shanganagh is also cancelled due to the yellow weather warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

And Marley but poolbeg and bushy are going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

And Marlay ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

DLRCoCo have closed all parks so that's Cabinteely too.

Edit; D'oh! Didn't see that link before I posted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Storm Hannah got me a huge 1 min 25 sec knocked off my previous PB lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Got to Griffeen at about 9 for my warm up.

I helped out a little with pre event set up, put three or four signs out. I ran off to do one of them but the others I was just running with the chap doing it and I did a couple.

My input was minimal.

If it was you would you email asking to be listed as one of the volunteers?

Feel a bit cheeky doing so.

Lazare wrote: »

I helped out a little with pre event set up, put three or four signs out. I ran off to do one of them but the others I was just running with the chap doing it and I did a couple.

My input was minimal.

Might be seen as being a little cheeky alright. I'd probably put it down to a good will gesture, unless I was one or two volunteer roles away from a t-shirt :P

That said I know some fast runners who've jumped in to help with scanning when a parkrun got more than its usual quota of runners and then got a volunteer role mention.

Its cheeky, but feck it why not give it a try :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I did Tramore this morning. Weather was lovely. Gave them a hand with tokens afterwards and they took my number (their suggestion)...I didn't get the automated thanks for volunteering email. I'm not going to chase it. You probably did more me, though. They asked if I was going to go for a dip in the sea. Maybe next time. :o Assume my 235 is not waterproof. They were using the app for barcodes too.

Edit scratch that. Volunteering email came through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

My input was minimal.

I’d ask myself this question: if I hadn’t helped out would they have been stuck, or needed another volunteer, or would the event have been compromised in any way (eg very long scanning queues, funnel probs etc)? If the answer is yes, I’d ask for the credit. If not, I’d just leave it to the RD to decide. (I’m not short of credits so maybe I’m more relaxed about this than I might have been earlier on).

Cheers guys. I won't bother emailing. I didn't add enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I had to stop scanning cuz I didn't want someone knowing I was running (long story)

Now I don't bother scanning at all anymore.

Might tell them stop recording me volunteer aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

vargoo wrote: »
    I had to stop scanning cuz I didn't want someone knowing I was running (long story)

You always have the option to remain anonymous, I don’t think any RD would turn down such a request. But why would being on the list suggest you’d been running also? If anything, it suggests the opposite (unless you’re down as pacer or somesuch).

None of this makes sense without the long story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Don't know your long story but I recently did the scanning, used the volunteer app on my phone, and local race director was delighted. I'm fairly new to Parkrun (completed no. 11 today but was tourist) and have won most of the last races and they were excited about getting me to scan after I finish running when they're short volunteers. Normally I run to Parkrun and run home but going to bring a bag of clothes to keep warm for all parkruns now just encase I've to keep warm if asked to scan.
    Again I don't know your story but I think I'll get the best of both. Running and getting to help.

Cheers guys. I won't bother emailing. I didn't add enough.

Fair play for giving a dig out anyway, I'm sure that at least didn't go unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Can't speak for that parkrun but in my mind, if you help out as a volunteer in assisting it happen, you're a volunteer on the day. Remember without volunteers, there would be no parkrun so well done on helping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

My input was minimal.

Yes but they may not have had your barcode so might account for the ommission

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Assume my 235 is not waterproof

If you mean a Garmin Forerunner 235 watch then yes it is waterproof (assuming not damaged.) I've been using mine in the sea for a couple years. After a while the buttons can get a bit clogged with salt. When this happens I just wear it in the shower which seems to sort it. No good for recording distance in open water swims though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Windy one in Tymon this morning. Broke 24 mins for the first time in almost 5 years. Nearly came to a standstill in the last 400m directly into the wind. Very pleased with 23.40 and 19th. Will have to volunteer again in the next few weeks, the core team there always do a great job. Wind seems to have taken a good chunk off most times so hoping I’m getting close to 23 shape in good conditions.

Had an enjoyable tussle with a fellow parkrunner today where he overtook me a little after the 1k mark. I pushed back but he overtook again and I pushed on the uphill and rescued my place. Practically the same thing happened on the second lap. I ended with a PB and he ended with his best time in over two years. Had a good chat at the post parkrun cuppa afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I was run director at Ballina today, our club, Canicross Ireland 'took over', with members doing all the volunteer roles. It was a great morning and we all did a freedom run afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My fifth time doing run director this morning and my first time not feeling like a bag of nerves!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

:o Assume my 235 is not waterproof.
    235 is waterproof....done a good few OW swims/triathlons with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I did Tramore this morning. Weather was lovely. Gave them a hand with tokens afterwards and they took my number (their suggestion)...I didn't get the automated thanks for volunteering email. I'm not going to chase it. You probably did more me, though. They asked if I was going to go for a dip in the sea. Maybe next time. :o Assume my 235 is not waterproof. They were using the app for barcodes too.

Edit scratch that. Volunteering email came through.

We did Tramore last week in lovely weather. Did you get the water feature over the promonade? I did the first time doing it and missed the wave, brilliant run to do. I hope you enjoyed it. I got a Sanctuary runner a PB last week beating him, encouraging really, to the line. It might have been a bit windier today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

aquinn wrote: »
    We did Tramore last week in lovely weather. Did you get the water feature over the promonade? I did the first time doing it and missed the wave, brilliant run to do. I hope you enjoyed it. I got a Sanctuary runner a PB last week beating him, encouraging really, to the line. It might have been a bit windier today.

It was my second time here, last visit was June 2016. I was often there during summers as a teen, some 20 years ago. Weather was lovely yesterday (windy, but nothing difficult), tide mostly out. There was a Sanctuary shirt there yesterday. The parkrun team mentioned the Waterford-Tramore road race (7.5 miles) that was on that evening, apparently the oldest one in Ireland and 50th year of it. Think they were trying to try twist my arm. :) Maybe one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Fraggle07 wrote: »
    You register online at parkrun.ie and yes it's free.

When you register you get a barcode that you need to print off and bring with you as this is scanned at the end of the race to register your time ran.

If you are a VHI member (they are main Parkrun sponsor) you can also link your parkrun registeration to the VHI app. VHI run a rewards scheme where you can claim rewards as you clock up your number of runs.

Best of luck.

Anyone else having trouble with the vhi app? My Parkrun’s didn’t upload last week or this week. I contacted their help desk both weeks but no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Anyone else having trouble with the vhi app? My Parkrun’s didn’t upload last week or this week. I contacted their help desk both weeks but no reply.

Yes, this must be my third time to contact them as my runs aren't updating. I de-registered my device and logged in again but it hasn't worked. I also told them that the distance to my local parkrun is miles but they have it noted in km.

They do normally respond though and advise they have discovered a bug in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭coco7

Yes, I noticed this for last weekend's parkrun too. Normally I see the update around noon on Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement