Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

http://www.parkrun.ie/sligo/course/

Sligo parkrun is a 5000 metre (5km) 2 lap anticlockwise course. It starts at the corner of the playground opposite Park Alley Café at the bus stop and follows the tarmac marked cycle/walk way heading away from the park towards the Regional Sports Complex keeping the river on your left and the road on the right.
    After approx. 700 metres it crosses a small car park with two exit/entrances by the Sligo Rowing and Kayak Club and then follows the bend round to the right over a little hump and then down the hill to the start of two laps of the park (which is opposite the Sports Complex).
    The lap; Go through the silver bollards on the inner path and head up the hill towards the main entrance.
    The route crosses at the main entrance of the sports pitches and heads up, curving left and anticlockwise. The course follows the cycle/walkway for the whole circuit keeping to the right of the football pitch and bringing you back to the silver bollards where you came in.
    Repeat the lap.
    On completion of the second lap, exit the pitches at the silver bollards and turn right taking the reverse route to the finish. Keeping the road on the left head back up the little hill, over the little hump, bend left across the car park at the Sligo Rowing and Kayak club back to Doorly Park playground for the big finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

6781 wrote: »
    Good news for Sligo. Is it a fairly flat track?

eh, no. But what would you expect in Sligo.

I had a look on street view at the out and back section of the Sligo course. Big downhill within the first 700 metres means big uphill in the last 700 metres. It appears to start on a walking/cycling path that runs alongside the road

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did St Anne's this morning, a record 385 did it. Super number and as always a great atmosphere, a little windy but a lovely morning for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did St Anne's this morning, a record 385 did it. Super number and as always a great atmosphere, a little windy but a lovely morning for it.

Record number at Waterstown too as far as I know.
    It's a tough course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

99 in Naas this morning which I suspect is, or is close to a record. Tough enough with the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its a brilliant idea, just a pity it hasn't yet spread far outside Dublin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ryanf1 wrote: »

:confused: There's loads of them outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Record number at Waterstown too as far as I know.
    It's a tough course

Did a PB there today. Tough in the wind but the finish is even tougher. Enjoyed it though.

who_ru wrote: »
    Did a PB there today. Tough in the wind but the finish is even tougher. Enjoyed it though.

well done! The hill at the end is a killer alright!
    I was a good bit outside my PB

• Advertisement

ryanf1 wrote: »

http://www.parkrun.ie/events/

There are events in 16 of 32 counties with 3 more counties starting soon. There are more in and around Dublin, but you'd expect that. Same in the north. 5 of the 19 courses are in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

done the Watertown run for the first time ...Great run and turnout ..need to improve on the 35 minutes next time but not bad for 17st and not running in over 9 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

edisonolmy wrote: »
    http://www.parkrun.ie/events/

There are events in 16 of 32 counties with 3 more counties starting soon. There are more in and around Dublin, but you'd expect that. Same in the north. 5 of the 19 courses are in Belfast.

There's 3 in Mayo, all well supported.

I'm yet to visit any of the Mayo events, but hope to get to both Westport and Ballina this summer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

St Anne's is not on this Saturday as there is some event on in the park, so I would think there will be big numbers in Malahide.

Dub13 wrote: »
    St Anne's is not on this Saturday as there is some event on in the park, so I would think there will be big numbers in Malahide.

Waterstown is cancelled also!! Some Operation Transformation thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Waterstown is cancelled also!! Some Operation Transformation thing going on.

That's ironic....OT getting in the way of free exercise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

crisco10 wrote: »
    That's ironic....OT getting in the way of free exercise!

Well I guess that parkrunners are welcome to join in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Waters town applied to have an OT event there, and they are free anyway

Can anyone tell me how close or far the Limerick parkrun event is to the city? I'll be travelling from the raheen side of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Can anyone tell me how close or far the Limerick parkrun event is to the city? I'll be travelling from the raheen side of the city.

Not too far, it's out in Killaloe:
    https://goo.gl/maps/yZIHQ

Killaloe in Clare is the closest event to Limerick, about half an hour out of the city.

There are no events in Limerick city or county yet

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Killaloe in Clare is the closest event to Limerick, about half an hour out of the city.

There are no events in Limerick city or county yet

Pity, killaloe is just to far to travel for a 5k run of a Saturday morning. I'm moving to Limerick this week so I will really miss my parkrun on a sat morning.

Is there any likelihood of a parkrun being organised in Limerick or are there any suitable parks available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Not too far, it's out in Killaloe:
    https://goo.gl/maps/yZIHQ

planning to head there again on saturday. very well run event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

yankinlk wrote: »
    planning to head there again on saturday. very well run event

Yep, friendliest parkrun in the land too!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

@ Who_RU
    There is a possible parkrun being suggested along the river over by the UL sports grounds , I'd suggest you contact Matt Shields( matt@parkrun.com ) and see if there is anything you can do to hasten its arrival :-) , I'd love a good excuse to get back down to Limerick ...

"killaloe is just to far to travel for a 5k run of a Saturday morning"

I came down from Belfast to Killaloe, but then I'm not wise. I think it is the intention that there will be one in every county in the near future, provided the communities want them, and support them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Pity, killaloe is just to far to travel for a 5k run of a Saturday morning. I'm moving to Limerick this week so I will really miss my parkrun on a sat morning.

Is there any likelihood of a parkrun being organised in Limerick or are there any suitable parks available?

What you really should be asking is how do I go about setting up a parkrun in Limerick? :)

As per post above contact Matt Shields.

I look forward to visit your event later in the year!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    What you really should be asking is how do I go about setting up a parkrun in Limerick? :)

As per post above contact Matt Shields.

I look forward to visit your event later in the year!

Let me get settled in first!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Going to try park run in Naas tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement