Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ran in Vicarstown last Saturday, wife pushed our little fella along in a buggy - nice out and back course, running on occasionally slightly bumpy grass so despite being dead flat am guessing it's not among the fastest courses out there. Or maybe I only felt like that as the crowd wasn't too big so there are fewer around to drag you along after them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mini-robinph and the mini-kirbys spotted at the same parkrun for possibly the only time at the weekend at Highbury Fields parkrun the day before the marathon...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is a manic video of the fun going around Highbury Fields parkrun. :)

You really have to pay attention to your counting and have absolutely no idea who else around you is on the same lap as you. Great fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The O

How long does it take for the email to be sent from parkrun to allow someone to claim their milestone t-shirt? My father did his 50th run 10 days ago and his parkrun page still states that he will receive the option to claim 'soon'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It depends on their stock levels for particular milestone shirts. Might only be a few days, might be a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The O wrote: »
    How long does it take for the email to be sent from parkrun to allow someone to claim their milestone t-shirt? My father did his 50th run 10 days ago and his parkrun page still states that he will receive the option to claim 'soon'
    I think the links go live on a Thursday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

In relation to the milestone tshirts - has anyone had trouble lately ordering one?
    My son qualified for one in April, the link is live under his profile to claim but when I go to the website for ProRunning, it wouldn't let me log in or process the order. Now his size is greyed out as not in stock. I thought you could still order even if it was out of stock? If it was for myself I wouldn't mind, I remember waiting months and months to order one myself. But lately people seemed to have gotten theirs within 2 weeks of completing a milestone. And I'm just impatient cos it's my child!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

I did Vicarstown a good while ago and it's one of my all-time favourites. Lovely people and a very different course to what I'd normally be used to. And running through the long grass was really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    In relation to the milestone tshirts - has anyone had trouble lately ordering one?
    My son qualified for one in April, the link is live under his profile to claim but when I go to the website for ProRunning, it wouldn't let me log in or process the order. Now his size is greyed out as not in stock. I thought you could still order even if it was out of stock? If it was for myself I wouldn't mind, I remember waiting months and months to order one myself. But lately people seemed to have gotten theirs within 2 weeks of completing a milestone. And I'm just impatient cos it's my child!!

This is not going to help your impatience, :p:p I did my milestone run on 6th April, got the notification on the 9th that my link was active. Ordered via Prorunning website on the 10th (size small), when website was saying "available for immediate dispatch". T-shirt delivered on 15th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Anyone else having trouble with the vhi app? My Parkrun’s didn’t upload last week or this week. I contacted their help desk both weeks but no reply.

Hi,

I just heard back that they have identified and resolved the issue so check again.

They still have the distance to runs in km when it is actually a mile distance.

One more to a shoe clip. Oooooooooooooooo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

aquinn wrote: »
    Hi,

I just heard back that they have identified and resolved the issue so check again.

They still have the distance to runs in km when it is actually a mile distance.

One more to a shoe clip. Oooooooooooooooo.
    Thanks, they got back to me this afternoon too. Don’t know why I’m getting so stressed about earning a free bandanna! Enjoy the shoe clip.

Thanks, they got back to me this afternoon too. Don’t know why I’m getting so stressed about earning a free bandanna! Enjoy the shoe clip.

Free stuff! Their drawstring bag is the best so far. Very handy and used daily for the bike as it is hardier and better quality than the RSA ones.

The bandana is handy, enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

If you sign upto VHI as a new customer, does your previous runs count towards rewards?

If you sign upto VHI as a new customer, does your previous runs count towards rewards?

No I wouldn't think so. Mine are only counted since Jan when I linked my parkrun account to the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

They do not. I'd a few parkruns under my belt before linking my two accounts but they only counted parkruns I did from that point forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I'm going to do my first 5k on Saturday in the Shanganagh Park park. I have been training for around 5/6 weeks.

What advice would you give to someone like me? Is it signposted on where to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Go along to the start area, attend the first timers briefing - they will tell you about the course, what happens afterwards etc. The course will be signposted and just follow the runners ahead of you (Shanganagh has enough runners that you wont be left on your own). Dont be tempted to start too fast (yon wont get left behind). Talk to people afterwards - the social aspect of parkrun is as important as the 5k part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Take it slow and try to run as far as you can without walking. Completing the distance is the first step, you can adjust your pacing over the coming months and years to chase times.
    Go for coffee afterwards.
    Don't forget your barcode. Getting scanned might not seem overly important now but when you are on 48/49 runs you will regret missing any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

It's Ballincollig parkrun's 150th event on Sat and to mark it there are whole slew of pacers! Normally it switches between odd/even numbers for the first Sat of every month. Pretty sure 20min to 30min are all covered and then some more from 31min & higher.

I even got talked into one, my excuse of the Limerick marathon being the following day was dismissed out of hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

swingking wrote: »
    I'm going to do my first 5k on Saturday in the Shanganagh Park park. I have been training for around 5/6 weeks.

Run briefing describes the course and unless your going to be going sub 20 your likely to just follow people around. There is also Marshalls on the course too.

Anyone finishing near you, ahead of behind, give them a well done etc. Don't be afraid to interact with people. You Can pick up loads of tips etc at parkrun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

swingking wrote: »

First a foremost, don't forget your barcode!.

Don't start too fast (since its your first), so my suggestion would be to start in the middle or near the back of the pack so you don't get swept up into a quicker pace than you're used to.

Like someone said, there'll be a run brief. Stand close to the person giving it, they are important because they'll give you a few pointers re. the course.

Parkrun's don't have toilets, so don't be caught short by drinking or eating too much before you get there.

Say ''THANK YOU VOLUNTEER'' has you pass them... Just kidding on this point, but if you get encouragement from one its nice to thank them.

Have a ball, don't be afraid to mingle and chat afterwards. We've all made so many new friends from parkrun events.

Did I mention DON'T FORGET YOUR BARCODE :p

Shanganagh is also a 2.5 lap course which reduces chances of getting lost,

you do a lap of the field you start in first then 2 laps of the park on "this" side of the railway. So you'll always have plenty of others to follow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Excellent advice guys. Really appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Pacers tomorrow at Waterstown.
    22 / 25 / 28 / 30 / 35 / 40 mins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pacing question for the more experienced runners.
    Pacing 5k (assuming a flat course) do you try to make every km the same?
    Or make a slower first 4 on assumption you will gain a little time in the sprint finish?
    Or other?

I only followed a pacer once and I couldn't keep with him as I normally do a quicker first lap and try to do my best after that whereas he took it easy on the first half and picked up time on the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Pacers tomorrow at Waterstown.
    22 / 25 / 28 / 30 / 35 / 40 mins

Pacers at Rivervalley tomorrow too! So far 21 - 40 and many in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

go out like a bat out of hell and die a slow and painful death from there on :D

prefontaine .. " the best pace is a suicide pace and today is a good day to die "

seriously , pacing yourself , you know better than anyone else how you do or dont like to run, i tend to go out hard, others are very even over the distance,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Or make a slower first 4 on assumption you will gain a little time in the sprint finish?
    Or other?

I only followed a pacer once and I couldn't keep with him as I normally do a quicker first lap and try to do my best after that whereas he took it easy on the first half and picked up time on the second.

On a flat course I find it's best to pace evenly enough if you're pushing yourself for a time, maybe going out ever so slightly fast to allow for a bit of a slowdown around the 3-4th km, and then try to finish strong. A parkrun can be hard to pace as it's so short and it's easy to lose or gain a few seconds here or there that have to be made up quickly enough. Planning a negative split like that doesn't seem ideal, but parkrun pacers are only human and the pay isn't great at all :pac:

woody1 wrote: »
    seriously , pacing yourself , you know better than anyone else how you do or dont like to run, i tend to go out hard, others are very even over the distance,

My first and last km tend to be my fastest by a distance but those I may be pacing might think differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Or other?

Anytime I pace in Parkrun I would aim for even pacing. If some have energy at the end I’ll tell them to shoot off but I’d stay at an even pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Some people do best starting quick and hanging on. Some are better at building into a race. Some are better at even splits. What kind of runner do you think you are? There isn't really a right or wrong apart from people who go out extremely hard and slow badly on each km. Personally I tend to do better growing into a race so for the 5km that would be first km slightly slower than target and building from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm confused as to whether you are looking for advice on how to pace yourself or on how to be a pacer??

What kind of runner do you think you are?

I know what I am tbh but always have been reluctant to volunteer as a pacer so was looking for the voice of experience in that regard. The way I run probably wouldn't suit some as I tend to be very slow in km 4 relative to kms 1 or 5 for example.
    So say for example I was doing a 25 minute 5km, there could be as much as a minute between my fastest and slowest km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

I know what I am tbh but always have been reluctant to volunteer as a pacer so was looking for the voice of experience in that regard. The way I run probably wouldn't suit some as I tend to be very slow in km 4 relative to kms 1 or 5 for example.
    So say for example I was doing a 25 minute 5km, there could be as much as a minute between my fastest and slowest km.

Surely that's only the case when you are at your limit. Given you'll be running at an easier pace when pacing it should not be difficult to run even splits.

I did the role once and I set slow and fast pace alerts on the watch 2 secs either side and ran it even. I'd recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

That be fine unless you were doing 90%+ for the last bit to make the 25min. That wouldn't suit everyone

Everyones different, most don't even know what they are with regards to what would be best, slow/fast start, etc etc. If it's windy on the day then everythings gone out the window.

Just do your run and hopefully a few will stick with ya and finally get under their wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Or other?

I've only ever paced in Tymon, which isn't exactly flat - and is usually long!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2168736610

I would start a bit faster than planned pace and then settle in to planned pace during the first km. So a little ahead after 1k, dead on for 2, 3, 4, and a little ahead again in the last k. Aim for finishing 10 seconds early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Personally, I’d look for even splits from a pacer. Ideally you should be able to tell if you’re ahead or behind your desired pace based on your position to the pacer.

If you’re ahead of them, you’re ahead of pace and vice versa.

That way, you choose how to run your race, not the pacer. You can still have a slow opening km and chase the pacer down for last km etc. or fast start and stay ahead.

+1, even splits all the way on a flat course unless you're in the last 500m when you can encourage people to push on if they have the energy. You don't of course but rather encourage anybody behind who's dropped off the pace a little.

I was helping a friend who was coming back from injury last year & took ~45 secs off his parkrun time just by slowing him down for the first few k.

Will be even practicing what I preach in Ballincollig tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I completely misunderstood the question

I completely misunderstood the question

Phrased badly to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

opus wrote: »

Will be even practicing what I preach in Ballincollig tomorrow!

you might give me some hints for Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Just 8 hours and 23 mins til parkrun

Paid a visit to Malahide parkrun today.

They had to change the course today because of a cricket game (or something on around the cricket grounds) so it was two laps through woodland, and tbh if they made that their permanent route I'd be running Malahide more often, it was beautiful.

Some said at the end they found it had a few more drags than the normal course, but I got a (Malahide Castle) PB, loved it.

Malahide PLEASE keep this route through the forest, its stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Lovely morning in Father Collins, plenty tourists from a few places in the UK, a couple of 100th and a quick diversion on the route as our swan family decided they wanted to have a rest on part of the route. And a lovely sunny morning to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

A bit of tourism this morning in UL glad t see the Clare/Limerick rivalry/banter is still alive and well.

ger664 wrote: »
    you might give me some hints for Sunday :)

I think you have things well in hand already :) Getting the pacing right for a marathon is a lot harder than a 5k jog on a fairly flat course.

And as it turned out I was dropped from the pacing squad this morning as hadn't got the memo to be there early for the photoshoot :o Not to worry, I took a slower jog around instead & did some scanning afterwards as numbers were close to 500 with the nice day.

479416.jpg

Knocked 13 seconds off my pb this morning :) Time to celebrate

chinguetti wrote: »
    Lovely morning in Father Collins, plenty tourists from a few places in the UK, a couple of 100th and a quick diversion on the route as our swan family decided they wanted to have a rest on part of the route. And a lovely sunny morning to boot.

Those swans were out in force during the week protecting their signets. They can be fairly aggressive, but we're on their home turf and I'd rather give them peace of mind every time.

First parkrun with my daughter yesterday, 6 months old and enjoyed the first few mins then had a ninja nap in the buggy! Very successful trip, and the race photographer even got a nice snap of us crossing the line..

As the first female across the line on her debut , I'm obviously very proud of my sleeping bundle of joy. Lol

Knocked 13 seconds off my pb this morning :) Time to celebrate

My little boy knocked 3 secs off his pb in junior parkrun this morning too. Great weekend in our house :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement