Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hubby's 100th parkrun yesterday at Oldham parkrun - might have been a couple of F-bombs dropped about the hills with the buggy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ended up in Castleblayney on Saturday and glad I did, stunning 2 lap forest route, close to a nice lake as well, very scenic.

Small crowd, I’d urge anyone to try and pay a visit.

Long drag at the start of both laps but not too bad after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Just to give an update…

I ran the Shanhanagh 5k park run last Saturday and it was a fantastic experience. Everyone was so nice!!!

I did the 5k in 32 mins which I'm quite pleased with. I got through the first 3k with ease but then I started to get tired. I slowed my pace down and continued on to the finish.

I can guarantee this won't be my last parkrun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

swingking wrote: »
    Just to give an update…

I ran the Shanhanagh 5k park run last Saturday and it was a fantastic experience. Everyone was so nice!!!

I did the 5k in 32 mins which I'm quite pleased with. I got through the first 3k with ease but then I started to get tired. I slowed my pace down and continued on to the finish.

I can guarantee this won't be my last parkrun

Well done, next step is boring all your family and friends with tales of parkrun PB's, parkrun tourist locations, about all your new parkrun friends and how life is so much more content since finding parkrun :D

Then braking through your first 30 minute barrier, I felt like bloody Rocket Man lol and went out to celebrate (seriously).

Oh, there's parkrun tattoo's too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Well done, next step is boring all your family and friends with tales of parkrun PB's, parkrun tourist locations, about all your new parkrun friends and how life is so much more content since finding parkrun :D

Then braking through your first 30 minute barrier, I felt like bloody Rocket Man lol and went out to celebrate (seriously).

Can anyone give advice on breaking 30 mins? I just CAN'T get there. I seem to go backwards and forwards. Have broken it on one or two occasions but cannot seem to consistently stay put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Can anyone give advice on breaking 30 mins? I just CAN'T get there. I seem to go backwards and forwards. Have broken it on one or two occasions but cannot seem to consistently stay put.

What training do you do?

RayCun wrote: »
    What training do you do?

I do parkruns weekly (near enough my 100th) and I do at least two other runs in the week (40 min hilly and a long run on a Sunday or an add on to parkrun)
    Training for a half marathon at the moment so following a training plan for that. Is there anything in particular that worked for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Do you have one!?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I do parkruns weekly (near enough my 100th) and I do at least two other runs in the week (40 min hilly and a long run on a Sunday or an add on to parkrun)
    Training for a half marathon at the moment so following a training plan for that. Is there anything in particular that worked for you?

Mileage a week? Do more.
    What weight are ya/height? Lose it
    Age?
    Sleep right/Eat right? Sleep better/eat better
    Don't wear much clothes. You'll warm up in a bit you pussy.
    Push yourself/Do sprints, you should be dying every now and then. You'll forget the pain.
    Catch the fecker in front of ya and then the fecker in front of him. When you know them, laugh out loud
    No prisoners! (Unless it's windy, wind is a bitch)

• Advertisement

eimaj18 wrote: »
    Do you have one!?

I've been toying around with the idea, just deciding on a location on my leg because I've tattoo's on both already.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Do an interval training session once a week. I find that best for knocking a bit of time off the shorter runs

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

Slightly different but similar..... Was getting 26 minutes runs, week after week after week, than one week,, a woman who always bet me cones up to me after a run and says that she loved running behind me..... I thought I was being hit on,, I wasn't.... She proceeded to tell me that I kept a good even pace but died the last kilometre,, where she'd go by me..

Following week, did my usual but as I entered that last km,, I felt I was dying..... But the words echoed in my head, I bit my lip and pushed on, bet her and actually not only moved into the 25 but had a sub 25......si the thing is you are better then your head..... Push it a little, enter that which feels a little pain and push through it....

I eventually got to a 20.30 5km,,had a work injury and am now in the process of coming back.... Started up again about 3 months ago with a 33+ 5km.....slowly taking time off and am now (since last weekend) into my beloved 26 again..... I've about 3 stone to lose, and have lost 0.5 up till now, but am very happy with my progress...... So to repeat..... You are better then you think... Just pud h it a little,, you've lots of time to recover, but that will only take a couple of minutes.
    And Enjoy it, the craic,, the endorphins firing, and the sense of achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

It’s very difficulty to train for a half marathon and run a pb 5km at the same time. You’re getting used to running long slow runs.
    I’d be pencilling in a right go at the 5km on a week or two after the half marathon when you should be flying fit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

30 minutes may be a perfectly reasonable or even a fast time depending on the individual circumstances. For example a 60 year old woman doing 30 minutes for 5k is a fast run. I would be interested to know the age grade %age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

50% age graded for me is just under 30 minutes, so if I can run that pushing one or more children in the buggy I'm quite happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    30 minutes may be a perfectly reasonable or even a fast time depending on the individual circumstances. For example a 60 year old woman doing 30 minutes for 5k is a fast run. I would be interested to know the age grade %age.

Woman I know in that age bracket is 66% but for 28:45.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

50% age graded for me is just under 30 minutes, so if I can run that pushing one or more children in the buggy I'm quite happy!

I think I need to modify my buggy course PB's spreadsheet to compare buggy and non-buggy age grade percentages. Currently just done by time, but that doesn't allow for getting older since pushing the buggy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am waiting for my next birthday to finally break the 60% mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I am waiting for my next birthday to finally break the 60% mark.
    Why wait? Just find a course that's a tad shorter than the 5K. Works for me. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It’s very difficulty to train for a half marathon and run a pb 5km at the same time. You’re getting used to running long slow runs.
    I’d be pencilling in a right go at the 5km on a week or two after the half marathon when you should be flying fit

Should aim to pb 5k after the half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

robinph wrote: »
    I think I need to modify my buggy course PB's spreadsheet to compare buggy and non-buggy age grade percentages. Currently just done by time, but that doesn't allow for getting older since pushing the buggy...

Or the buggy occupant getting bigger/heavier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i have done 4 so far, hoping to get back to it, am running still but sat mornings arent a runner just right now with a baby, was never much of a runner but have been getting into it more, set myself the goal of doing a 10k before my second daughter was born and just about achieved it!

all my runs have been at cabinteely.

#1 27.45 48.47%
    #2 26.03 51.63%
    #3 24.01 56%
    #4 23.21 57.6%

these were were all over the space of 7 weeks at the end of last year.

im 38 yo male was happy enough given my inexperience, id love to crack 22 min

Baby is no excuse. I pushed my little fella around a parkrun many times. The double buggy was a bit harder but still achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Cyrus wrote: »
    i have done 4 so far, hoping to get back to it, am running still but sat mornings arent a runner just right now with a baby, was never much of a runner but have been getting into it more, set myself the goal of doing a 10k before my second daughter was born and just about achieved it!

all my runs have been at cabinteely.

#1 27.45 48.47%
    #2 26.03 51.63%
    #3 24.01 56%
    #4 23.21 57.6%

these were were all over the space of 7 weeks at the end of last year.

im 38 yo male was happy enough given my inexperience, id love to crack 22 min

That's a great improvement on what is a notoriously hilly course. Good for you.

Try a local and flatter route like Shanganagh for a crack at sub 21.

I tried recently at St Anne's and failed but will try again. They have pacers the last Saturday of the month to help us all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

aquinn wrote: »
    That's a great improvement on what is a notoriously hilly course. Good for you.

Try a local and flatter route like Shanganagh for a crack at sub 21.

I tried recently at St Anne's and failed but will try again. They have pacers the last Saturday of the month to help us all along.

the fact i live around dalkey / killiney and thats where i normally run has conditioned me for the hills :pac:

im not sure i have that much outright pace but was passing folks on the hills

Jfrost wrote: »
    Slightly different but similar..... Was getting 26 minutes runs, week after week after week, than one week,, a woman who always bet me cones up to me after a run and says that she loved running behind me..... I thought I was being hit on,, I wasn't.... She proceeded to tell me that I kept a good even pace but died the last kilometre,, where she'd go by me..

Following week, did my usual but as I entered that last km,, I felt I was dying..... But the words echoed in my head, I bit my lip and pushed on, bet her and actually not only moved into the 25 but had a sub 25......si the thing is you are better then your head..... Push it a little, enter that which feels a little pain and push through it....

I eventually got to a 20.30 5km,,had a work injury and am now in the process of coming back.... Started up again about 3 months ago with a 33+ 5km.....slowly taking time off and am now (since last weekend) into my beloved 26 again..... I've about 3 stone to lose, and have lost 0.5 up till now, but am very happy with my progress...... So to repeat..... You are better then you think... Just pud h it a little,, you've lots of time to recover, but that will only take a couple of minutes.
    And Enjoy it, the craic,, the endorphins firing, and the sense of achievement

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll give this a go and let you know how I get on. I'm doing Terenure 5 Mile on Sunday and hoping for low 49s.

vargoo wrote: »
    Mileage a week? Do more.
    What weight are ya/height? Lose it
    Age?
    Sleep right/Eat right? Sleep better/eat better
    Don't wear much clothes. You'll warm up in a bit you pussy.
    Push yourself/Do sprints, you should be dying every now and then. You'll forget the pain.
    Catch the fecker in front of ya and then the fecker in front of him. When you know them, laugh out loud
    No prisoners! (Unless it's windy, wind is a bitch)
    https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.png

Tough, but I need to hear it. Basically, I need to man up :cool:

https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.png

Tough, but I need to hear it. Basically, I need to man up :cool:

You didn't answer the questions but if you're overweight hit that hard and fast, skip breakfast, stop eating at 6pm, so from midday (ISH) until 6pm, that's your eating window.

Veggies!

Just pick a type or colour each day and gobble that stuff up.

A few weeks of this and you'll be done, don't spread this out over the whole summer, just fecking doing it.

Willpowa needed for first 3/4 days and you're good to go.

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid/

That's a good pyramid^^.

You lose a stone/6kg, you're gonna know you lost it, lose 2 and the minutes will fall off themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You lose a stone/6kg, you're gonna know you lost it, lose 2 and the minutes will fall off themselves.
    I have a running backpack for he commute to work. Weighs about 6kg with the essentials. Knowing the extra effort it takes with that much extra on, I'd love to see what it was like with that much extra off.

You didn't answer the questions but if you're overweight hit that hard and fast, skip breakfast, stop eating at 6pm, so from midday (ISH) until 6pm, that's your eating window.

Veggies!

Just pick a type or colour each day and gobble that stuff up.

A few weeks of this and you'll be done, don't spread this out over the whole summer, just fecking doing it.

Willpowa needed for first 3/4 days and you're good to go.

https://www.drweil.com/diet-nutrition/anti-inflammatory-diet-pyramid/dr-weils-anti-inflammatory-food-pyramid/

That's a good pyramid^^.

I could definitely lose a half stone but i'm pretty much at a healthy weight for my height (basing it off BMI)
    Skipping breakfast is a mad suggestion, that just asks for sweet cravings round 10am. Definitely going to aim to cut out food after 6/7pm though.

• Advertisement

Skipping breakfast is a mad suggestion, that just asks for sweet cravings round 10am.

Kellogg's marketing execs are smiling somewhere.

Kellogg's marketing execs are smiling somewhere.

If I ate Kellogg's cereals, i'd probably agree with you. It's usually scrambled egg:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did Castletown this morning. Very good morning for it. Two things, 13th parkrun this year, which beats last year's total, and a Castletown PB by 2:03. I tried to beat my 2 year PB there 3 weeks ago on my birthday, but I tweaked my hamstring and had to walk the last 800m. Revenge! :D

Next milestone is 20 for this year, which would beat my previous lifetime total at the end of last year.

The wife missed her first one since she started last October, due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

What a morning. Laid off any running for the past week to help deal with shin splints. Took podiatrist advice to reduce stride length. As less people were around today due to Darkness into light and the wind was less in Tramore, I followed the mood of the run and took it easy.

WOW! Without trying I easily got my 1st sub-25 minutes (out of breath, nearly sick after last time I even got close).
    It is amazing what can happen with a small change in environment, technique, and rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

WOW! Without trying I easily got my 1st sub-25 minutes (out of breath, nearly sick after last time I even got close). It is amazing what can happen with a small change in environment, technique, and rest.

Well done! Sometimes when you go out with no pressure, you end up with better times.

I had planned to do a slow jog around Darkness into Light this morning, until I saw a parkrun rival ahead of me. Plan went out the window. Half-hearted attempt to catch him.

Parkrun today was surprisingly ok. Thought legs would be more tired.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Well done! Sometimes when you go out with no pressure, you end up with better times.

I had planned to do a slow jog around Darkness into Light this morning, until I saw a parkrun rival ahead of me. Plan went out the window. Half-hearted attempt to catch him.

Parkrun today was surprisingly ok. Thought legs would be more tired.

Well done [again] on Darkness into Light.

Ran St.Anne's today and raging I didn't push on up the front because I got caught up in the congestion and didn't get going for a bit, but still managed to get a course PB for me :D

St.Anne's was beautiful this morning. I'm lucky that I'm sandwiched between Malahide Castle parkrun and St.Anne's Park parkrun.

Oh, met a boardsie too!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We did DiL in Dromore West, Sligo, then drove to Belmullet to do Erris parkrun. Stunning morning which made Cross Lake even more amazing than usual. If anyone is looking to do any tourism, head West, it must be one of, if not the most scenic parkrun in the country - or world? The drive in adds to it, the community there are fantastic, so welcoming and the hardware that is now in place really shows how invested the local community are. The portaloo that is now on the lakeshore was clean and useable, a huge bonus after the copious amounts of coffee we had to keep us awake. There's a great local hotel, that gave all participants free breakfast a couple of years ago for the first anniversary, so we always stop there for food afterwards, and would be a good place to stay for tourists living further away than we do, The Broadhaven Bay.
    I won't say much about my actual run, exhaustion, a sore Achilles tendon and a young dog who was far too interested in the cows to concentrate on running lead to a slow time. But on a morning like this morning, that wasn't important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

PB of 30.02 this morning.
    I now know it's possible to be happy and disappointed all at once!��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I think these pb’s just on the cusp on the minute are the hardest! But imagine, 3 secs more and you’ll be sub 30!

• Advertisement

Oh hard luck, they're the worst.

If you're getting close to your goal like that, in the same parkrun look at where you position yourself at the start (esp if its big numbers, it was a few hundred meters before I got going in St.Annes yesterday because I was right in the congestion).

And if you're using a GPS watch have a look at the data and see where you're losing those few seconds.

You may even find you're just losing concentration somewhere along the course, all it takes is something to distract your thoughts and you'd be surprised how much speed you can lose.

I also run best if I can resist the urge to look at my watch to check my speed, esp over a five K just run at your best is sometimes good advice.

Best of luck breaking 30 minutes, fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Oh hard luck, they're the worst.

If you're getting close to your goal like that, in the same parkrun look at where you position yourself at the start (esp if its big numbers, it was a few hundred meters before I got going in St.Annes yesterday because I was right in the congestion).

And if you're using a GPS watch have a look at the data and see where you're losing those few seconds.

You may even find you're just losing concentration somewhere along the course, all it takes is something to distract your thoughts and you'd be surprised how much speed you can lose.

I also run best if I can resist the urge to look at my watch to check my speed, esp over a five K just run at your best is sometimes good advice.

Best of luck breaking 30 minutes, fingers crossed for you

Ahh, thanks. To make it worse, I've been told the course was anything between 30 and 70 metres too long! Afraid I don't have a fancy watch, just a simple one I look at after each km.
    I don't lose much time at the start. My local parkrun usually has from 50 to 90 entries weekly.

Ahh, thanks. To make it worse, I've been told the course was anything between 30 and 70 metres too long! Afraid I don't have a fancy watch, just a simple one I look at after each km.
    I don't lose much time at the start. My local parkrun usually has from 50 to 90 entries weekly.

You don't need fancy GPS watches anyway, most of us are probably guilty of making ourselves slaves to all this techno stuff.

You could get involved in a group or club, its not for everyone [not for me anymore] but your time and distance will certainly improve.

Or just go out and enjoy your parkrun's, its not finish times which matter but finish lines :D

There are lots of threads with great advice here on boards and youtube. On youtube I love 'The Running Channel', or there's myweeklytimed.com Podcast. Its a dedicated parkrun podcast, its brilliant and full of chat & advice for people just like you and me (people who just love parkrun).

Stick at it and you will improve.. And no messing, when I broke my 30 minute barrier I felt like Rockman and couldn't stop telling everyone in the pub that night lol [real story]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

A new Parkrun starts in Clonbur Woods in Galway next weekend. It's about 40 minutes drive from me so going to have a look. I was in the forest before and it's really nice. Only have ever ran two established Parkruns so will be interesting for me to run a new one.
    https://www.parkrun.ie/clonburwoods/

It's close to Ashford Castle if anyone is looking for nearby accommodation. You'll probably need to contact the bank tomorrow though for a loan to pay for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

After many years of threatening to get to do Parkruns, I'm finally getting a bit of rythym to it in recent weeks. Got two within close proximity - Vicarstown and Mount Lucas. Last few weeks I've headed out the windfarm in Mount Lucas with wife and child in tow. For my wife, the Parkrun has been her first foray back into running after the birth of our little girl.
    This week, I took the buggy around. I tell you what - pushing a buggy around isn't easy while running. At least Mount Lucas lends itself to do that (would be a lot harder on the canal path that is Vicarstown). Surface is like a gravelly trail path so maybe a proper running buggy as opposed to a bog standard pram style buggy would have made it easier. Maybe. Quite the work-out! Baby stayed awake for the entire time, but at least she was content!

Be careful with the standard buggy. Saw a guy face plant his child one morning at parkrun when the buggy flipped. Luckily it was on grass and the child was OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Bit of Parkrun tourism on my way to Newcastle on Saturday morning, did Harrogate parkrun in North Yorkshire.

Would recommend, a lovely run in the middle of reasonably sized, well healed English town. Everybody was crazy welcoming and enjoyed my making it an "international" parkrun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

One of the RDs in Malahide doing is his 250th tomorrrow.

Wind and rain forecast yet the sun is beating in my window :)
    Revisiting Darndale this morning to see if I can get a fast time there. Should beat my Darndale pb anyway.
    If anyone is there say hello. I will be sporting my 100 parkrun t-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I did St Anne's this morning - well over 500 there, I'd say, including a contingent of visually impaired runners and people doing a memorial run for a deceased colleague. Lovely atmosphere and really welcoming.

But jaysus, that 800m straight! It never ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Wind and rain forecast yet the sun is beating in my window :)
    Revisiting Darndale this morning to see if I can get a fast time there. Should beat my Darndale pb anyway.
    If anyone is there say hello. I will be sporting my 100 parkrun t-shirt.

Not only a Darndale PB but a PB too. Well done.

We thought we would go there this morning but went on a Southside adventure instead and went to Marlay. Really enjoyable. Love running through the trees. Brilliant team with their group warm-up and funnel management.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement