Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I did Deerpark Carlanstown this morning and a lovely route it was, once after I got over the shock of the hill. Nice to have tea and biscuits at the finish too, great way to chat regulars and tourists alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

chinguetti wrote: »
    I did Deerpark Carlanstown this morning and a lovely route it was, once after I got over the shock of the hill. Nice to have tea and biscuits at the finish too, great way to chat regulars and tourists alike.

I plan to do that next week. Is the hill at the start ?

Bravestaar wrote: »
    I plan to do that next week. Is the hill at the start ?

Its a 3 lap course so from the start there's a little drag, then the hill which is short and steep and you get it straight back down the other side and then another little drag on the far side of the lap. I got there early today so did a lap of the route beforehand so started I decided to start slowly and found it a lovely route once I knew the route.

They're hoping to have a bit of a celebration as well next week for their 25th parkrun according to the RD this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did Killarney yesterday, away for a couple of nights without the boys so a nice chance to run buggy free! Lovely course if a bit undulating, got around in 27:26 which is my fastest time in around 2 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

Just happened upon this thread. Nice to read everyones efforts and pbs.

An 82 second course pb for me last saturday. Down to 19:18. One of the tougher parkruns here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ran Tramore for the first time at the weekend and thought it was a lovely course.
    Got a PB of 26:39 which I was happy enough with seeing as I was drinking the night before and I'm around 16 stone.

Going to set myself a goal of 26:00 :o:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I also ran Tramore on Saturday :), it has some beautiful scenery, and some very large carpark potholes to run through :D. What a super friendly bunch of people though! Despite the wind I really enjoyed it, even more so that they took a full minute off my actual finish time - I'm not complaining!!

Also did the Royal Canal parkrun in Kilcock the week before which is another beautiful setting. Hoping to get back running one each week and I might get to 100 by October!

Cyrus wrote: »
    i have done 4 so far, hoping to get back to it, am running still but sat mornings arent a runner just right now with a baby, was never much of a runner but have been getting into it more, set myself the goal of doing a 10k before my second daughter was born and just about achieved it!

all my runs have been at cabinteely.

#1 27.45 48.47%
    #2 26.03 51.63%
    #3 24.01 56%
    #4 23.21 57.6%

these were were all over the space of 7 weeks at the end of last year.

im 38 yo male was happy enough given my inexperience, id love to crack 22 min

Not that I want to send you off to the competition (:p) but go and run Shanganagh, you'll probably knock anywhere between 30-60 seconds off your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Just to emphasis the obsessional nature of parkrun, check out the results from the first week of Clonbur Woods, and the amount of runners that were there to check off a new run!!

https://www.parkrun.ie/clonburwoods/results/latestresults/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just to emphasis the obsessional nature of parkrun, check out the results from the first week of Clonbur Woods, and the amount of runners that were there to check off a new run!!

https://www.parkrun.ie/clonburwoods/results/latestresults/

Wow a huge amount of people doing a parkrun for the first time. And many unreg'd which are probably first timers also.

I did see it advertised a bit - I thought first parkruns were keep quiet to give the core team a chance to get up and running. (Or maybe I've picked that point up from the parkrun podcasts).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Wow a huge amount of people doing a parkrun for the first time. And many unreg'd which are probably first timers also.

I did see it advertised a bit - I thought first parkruns were keep quiet to give the core team a chance to get up and running. (Or maybe I've picked that point up from the parkrun podcasts).

Turning up to inaugurals is complicated, but mostly unless it's an inaugral in a major population centre in England then you are probably OK to go along to it without causing anyone any additional stress. Just in areas of England where there are masses of parkruns nearby a new event starting up in the middle of that lot can easily be swamped in the number turning up and then you end up with issues for the volunteers, local residents, parking, existing park users who were not expecting 600+ people to come charging past them on their quiet Saturday morning stroll with the dog.

Out in the middle of nowhere in Ireland or any other parkrun country and if you are near enough to the new event then go along and tell all your friends to do so to. That 200 people turned up and the vast majority were first timers to parkrun is excellent, and hopefully the majority of those people go along again next week to event 2 as they now have a local event near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I did that Clonbur Woods Parkrun. They could have had doubled the 200 to 400 it was so well organised. They had people out on roads directing traffic and parking. A PA system with speaches and telling everyone how the barcode works. Was probably 9:45 if not later by the time the run started with all the thank yous and instructions for beginners. Loads of volunteers everywhere. It was all really well done and everyone was so welcoming. Couldn't fault anything. Got myself a Parkrun PB too as it's a very flat course and nice and sheltered through the woods.

Just hope it keeps good numbers after the initial interest and buzz dies down. I've 4 or 5 closer Parkruns so won't be doing it weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Dudda wrote: »
    I did that Clonbur Woods Parkrun. They could have had doubled the 200 to 400 it was so well organised. They had people out on roads directing traffic and parking. A PA system with speaches and telling everyone how the barcode works. Was probably 9:45 if not later by the time the run started with all the thank yous and instructions for beginners. Loads of volunteers everywhere. It was all really well done and everyone was so welcoming. Couldn't fault anything. Got myself a Parkrun PB too as it's a very flat course and nice and sheltered through the woods.

Just hope it keeps good numbers after the initial interest and buzz dies down. I've 4 or 5 closer Parkruns so won't be doing it weekly.

Heh - it's funny looking at the stats for a new parkrun, at the bottom of the page!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

Tramore Valley park in Cork finally opened officially yesterday.

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/1131218293086445569

Hopefully means we get to discuss resuming the parkrun that's been on hiatus since Jan '16 in the Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

opus wrote: »

Hopefully means we get to discuss resuming the parkrun that's been on hiatus since Jan '16 in the Autumn.

Would they have the numbers to bring the parkrun back. Ballincollig hadn't started at the time of the last parkrun and Glen River isn't exactly pulling a large weekly crowd in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

timothe wrote: »
    Would they have the numbers to bring the parkrun back. Ballincollig hadn't started at the time of the last parkrun and Glen River isn't exactly pulling a large weekly crowd in

If one runner turns up its worth doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

timothe wrote: »

Who's "they" exactly? People have been asking when Tramore Valley is coming back on a continual basis since it closed. A parkrun event's goal isn't to have as many participants as possible rather to provide a service to the local community.

Glen River & Mallow Town parkruns starting up have had negligible impact on Ballincollig so the hope is that Tramore Valley will help to reduce the numbers there a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

opus wrote: »

I don't know. Doesn't necessarily mean that parkrun can start up there again.
    I think I read something online where a parkrun (I think in Wexford) was moved from the grounds of a castle to a racecourse while it was being renovated. And then when the works were done, parkrun wasn't allowed move back to the castle grounds.

(There's probably people here more familiar with that story than me, apologies if I've taken it up wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yep, about sums it up.

We have renamed to Wexford Racecourse parkrun. Name change went through this week.

It is the group of volunteers and participants that make a parkrun, not the location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Yep, about sums it up.

We have renamed to Wexford Racecourse parkrun. Name change went through this week.

It is the group of volunteers and participants that make a parkrun, not the location.

It varies how they deal with course moves and name changes. One near me only existed for 5 weeks, had trouble with the locals, moved with exactly the same team to about 50 meters away on the other side of the road but got a new name and was classed as a completely new event when it restarted a month later.

robinph wrote:
    It varies how they deal with course moves and name changes. One near me only existed for 5 weeks, had trouble with the locals, moved with exactly the same team to about 50 meters away on the other side of the road but got a new name and was classed as a completely new event when it restarted a month later.

We are carrying on as same event, we've been onsite in racecourse for a year with same ED and majority of vote team. So couldn't really be classed as new event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Overheard at a parkrun today;

'You've obviously never ran a marathon'... ''I've ran 22 marathons''..

'Oh'

[lots of sniggers]

Out injured at the moment, go an accidental knee to the chest last week in Judo training. If anyone here has ever had injured ribs you'll know my pain and discomfort.. So I'm in volunteer mode for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Today I used the barcode app that you can download on to your Garmin. The volunteer scanned my Garmin and all seemed fine but was down as unknown in the results. The team fixed it which was really decent of them. Just wondering has anybody else had success with that app? It’s very handy ... if it works!

Kellygirl wrote:
    Today I used the barcode app that you can download on to your Garmin. The volunteer scanned my Garmin and all seemed fine but was down as unknown in the results. The team fixed it which was really decent of them. Just wondering has anybody else had success with that app? It’s very handy ... if it works!

The scanners can't read screens that well. I know they can't do barcodes on phone screens, I don't know how it looks on Garmin, but possibly same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Kellygirl wrote: »

Printed barcodes only are acceptable, see https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/206743949-Can-I-bring-my-barcode-on-my-smartphone-or-watch-instead-of-printing-it-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Wow didn't know such a thing existed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks guys. Just going to delete it off my watch so.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

ger664 wrote: »
    If one runner turns up its worth doing

I was at Darndale yesterday, there were almost as many horses in the park as runners... I understand the sentiment, but it must be so disheartening for the team there, seems like they just have a tiny super dedicated core group that is keeping it going.
    On the other hand, it's great odds of a top 10 finish :D

I did Inch Beach yesterday morning and you'll go a good way to find a more scenic parkrun. Lovely team there too and had a gang from America and a few from the North along with ourselves. Shane Finn (he who cycled America recently) was scanning people at the finish and along with a RTE crew filming for a program and a local kid running his 50th, it was a really lovely morning and would recommend it if you're in the area. It a long run back to the finish through after the turn! And there's nothing like a 99 after a run and a few pints in Foley's the night before:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

simonw wrote: »
    I was at Darndale yesterday, there were almost as many horses in the park as runners... I understand the sentiment, but it must be so disheartening for the team there, seems like they just have a tiny super dedicated core group that is keeping it going.

Unfortunately there is alot going against them there. There has been little buy in from the locals, coupled with the horses, lots of litter and a murder during the week it can be a hard sell. It is not a park I would be inclined to hang around in for a couple of hours with the family after the parkrun like we tend to do in Annes or Collins.
    I have done it a couple of times. It is a nice relatively flat course.
    I personally find it difficult to do good times on as you tend to be running on your own for the majority of the run.

In short without the locals doing it I can't see much point in it.

• Advertisement

First run under the new Wexford Racecourse name, we welcomed 20 from a wedding party who joined us before their wedding yesterday afternoon. Our ED had written up a few parkrun-esque vows to be done in pre-run brief, unfortunately the bride thought her hair appointment took priority on the day :D

They did take them away to incorporate into speeches though.

We also welcomed fellow racecourse location ED from Clonmel. Hope you enjoyed your visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

This might be a long shot but who knows.

Will be in Brighton for the Aug bank holiday weekend and would love to run Hove Promenade.

Friend that lives there reckons it won't be on as it's pride weekend.

Anyone know for sure?

Lazare wrote: »
    This might be a long shot but who knows.

Will be in Brighton for the Aug bank holiday weekend and would love to run Hove Promenade.

Friend that lives there reckons it won't be on as it's pride weekend.

Anyone know for sure?

They have a facebook page if you wish to contact them.

If you don't use FB let me know and I'll PM them the question for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

They have a facebook page if you wish to contact them.

If you don't use FB let me know and I'll PM them the question for you.

Fair play, thanks. I'll get in touch with them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I've my one and only top-10 finish there! The team are sound, and I'll definitely be back. It's a shame there's not more local support, but I guess it's hindered by being so close to Fr Collins.

Did St. Anne's on Saturday, first time there since they moved the course back to the original route (LOVE that avenue finish!) and it was pacer Saturday. As always a super atmosphere, they put on quite the show and hats off to all the volunteers. Almost managed to stick with the 27 min pacer :). Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

I'm going to make an effort to go there on one of my next trips up to the big smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Which Dublin parkrun would you recommend for someone staying near the airport? Hoping to do parkrun then go back to hotel for breakfast so don’t want to drive too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Which Dublin parkrun would you recommend for someone staying near the airport? Hoping to do parkrun then go back to hotel for breakfast so don’t want to drive too far.

Poppintree is very close, 10 min by car

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Darndale, Malahide, St Anne's, Fr Collins, River Valley, Donabate are also close enough to airport. Spoilt for choice in this part of city tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Malahide - a great park and a large amount of people. Also you may as well visit the home of the first Irish parkrun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Planning on running Avondale Parkrun on Sat. We are down camping in Redcross this weekend.

Singer wrote: »
    Malahide - a great park and a large amount of people. Also you may as well visit the home of the first Irish parkrun!

If I was a visitor this is where I'd go too.

I haven't done River Valley in Swords so can't comment there except to say what I hear repeated ''hills''.

Poppintree is lovely, 1 1/2 laps of a nice park and a really good crowd of participants and volunteers.

Bit of a further drive is St Annes (my favorite).

But from the airport I'd recommend Malahide Castle for sure, its really nice esp the forest trails and the location is beautiful for a visit anyway.

Darndale. Always looking for numbers.

The same group of volunteers run that event every week. It's very sad that a lot more of the local community haven't bought into it.

For anyone who is worried about safety, it is completely safe. The scallywags that cause trouble around the area do not be up and about at 9.30am on a Saturday morning.

There are horses now and again but the corpo staff always move them and make sure they do not interfere with the parkrun. The litter is caused on the far side of the park by the travellers but it is a good bit away from the parkrun route.

Overall it's my favourite parkrun by far and definitely the nicest volunteers. I got tea and banana bread there recently.

The lady who runs it weekly, Susan, is amazing. The work that she puts in week in week out for the community that goes unnoticed and unrecognised.

It's disheartening to see 500 odd at St. Anne's when sometimes there is less than 10 in Darndale. I see on the results page that at one parkrun before Christmas there was only 2 participants.

I hope that Susan and the rest of the volunteers don't get pissed off with the low numbers and continue to run this amazing parkrun which is brilliant for the community.

Did St. Anne's on Saturday, first time there since they moved the course back to the original route (LOVE that avenue finish!) and it was pacer Saturday. As always a super atmosphere, they put on quite the show and hats off to all the volunteers. Almost managed to stick with the 27 min pacer :). Next time!

The Avenue finish is great. It's definitely where I'm gonna go to try and get my pb when i am getting close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Bravestaar wrote: »
    The same group of volunteers run that event every week. It's very sad that a lot more of the local community haven't bought into it.

For anyone who is worried about safety, it is completely safe. The scallywags that cause trouble around the area do not be up and about at 9.30am on a Saturday morning.

There are horses now and again but the corpo staff always move them and make sure they do not interfere with the parkrun. The litter is caused on the far side of the park by the travellers but it is a good bit away from the parkrun route.

Overall it's my favourite parkrun by far and definitely the nicest volunteers. I got tea and banana bread there recently.

The lady who runs it weekly, Susan, is amazing. The work that she puts in week in week out for the community that goes unnoticed and unrecognised.

It's disheartening to see 500 odd at St. Anne's when sometimes there is less than 10 in Darndale. I see on the results page that at one parkrun before Christmas there was only 2 participants.

I hope that Susan and the rest of the volunteers don't get pissed off with the low numbers and continue to run this amazing parkrun which is brilliant for the community.

I completely agree.

TBH honest I'm disappointed that people from St Annes and elsewhere nearby give it so little support. Fair play to the volunteers who keep turning up to keep it going.

Even on weeks that St Annes is not running, Darndale gets very little increase. This is sad.

pc11 wrote: »
    TBH honest I'm disappointed that people from St Annes and elsewhere nearby give it so little support. Fair play to the volunteers who keep turning up to keep it going.

Slightly harsh. They are very different parks. Any parkrun should attract people predominantly from the local neighbourhood. Darndale (although close being about 4km from Raheny village) is not the local neighbourhood for Raheny residents. It needs to attract the residents of Darndale, Coolock and Clonsaugh. There is a massive population in there and surrounding areas.
    I have been around Raheny in some form or other for 40 years or so and the first time I was ever in Darndale was for parkrun last year. It is just not a place you goto.

Not to be overly critical on the area as there are some great people there but it has completely failed as a social experiment. The place is full of litter (not just the park), it is rampant with drugs and social problems with lawlessness being the norm* and let's not forget the murders over the last week.
    As I said earlier I have been at the run twice now and both times were very enjoyable for me. Would I bring my kids with me to hang out in the park for an hour after the run? No is sadly the answer.
    The area is 50 years old now and is not getting any better despite tonnes of resources being provided by the government.

*Google scramblers and Darndale for a sad story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

pc11 wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Even on weeks that St Annes is not running, Darndale gets very little increase. This is sad.
    My closest is Farview but I'd still go to St.Annes for a variety of reasons, many not related to the run itself.

It's nothing personal against Darndale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Took a trip to Knockanacree woods parkrun. Cracking run but very challenging with the hills and tight twisty corners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement