Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Slightly harsh. They are very different parks. Any parkrun should attract people predominantly from the local neighbourhood. Darndale (although close being about 4km from Raheny village) is not the local neighbourhood for Raheny residents. It needs to attract the residents of Darndale, Coolock and Clonsaugh. There is a massive population in there and surrounding areas.
    I have been around Raheny in some form or other for 40 years or so and the first time I was ever in Darndale was for parkrun last year. It is just not a place you goto.

Not to be overly critical on the area as there are some great people there but it has completely failed as a social experiment. The place is full of litter (not just the park), it is rampant with drugs and social problems with lawlessness being the norm* and let's not forget the murders over the last week.
    As I said earlier I have been at the run twice now and both times were very enjoyable for me. Would I bring my kids with me to hang out in the park for an hour after the run? No is sadly the answer.
    The area is 50 years old now and is not getting any better despite tonnes of resources being provided by the government.

*Google scramblers and Darndale for a sad story.

You're not gonna see drug dealing at 9.30am. I have done a lot of runs in Darndale and not seen one single incident of anti social behaviour. Granted the parkruns aren't at 9.30pm every Saturday as that would be a different story.

By the way, there is open drug dealing in the likes of Father Collins Park and Fairview Park in particular. That kind of stuff happens there also.. as do scramblers.

And in relation to the litter, it's only in the far corner where the travellers throw over their rubbish. It's never anywhere near where the parkrun takes place. I've been up there 25 odd times and never had any issue whatsoever.

I'm not from Darndale, I'm from Raheny. I have no reason to defend the area as such. All I can say is that there has never been a single issue from any parkrun I have been to there. And the people that run it are absolutely brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bravestaar wrote: »
    And in relation to the litter, it's only in the far corner where the travellers throw over their rubbish. It's never anywhere near where the parkrun takes place. I've been up there 25 odd times and never had any issue whatsoever.

I'm not from Darndale, I'm from Raheny. I have no reason to defend the area as such. All I can say is that there has never been a single issue from any parkrun I have been to there. And the people that run it are absolutely brilliant.

I did not say the people running it are not brilliant nor did I say there was open drug dealing going on. My point was that I can see why people stay away and without an interest locally then there is not much point in it.

Re the litter, it is definitely not just the far corner of the park. The grassy areas all over the estate were covered in litter the last time I went there.

My other point was - would you bring your kids and a picnic there to hang out for an hour or 2 after the parkrun?

I did not say the people running it are not brilliant nor did I say there was open drug dealing going on. My point was that I can see why people stay away and without an interest locally then there is not much point in it.

Re the litter, it is definitely not just the far corner of the park. The grassy areas all over the estate were covered in litter the last time I went there.

My other point was - would you bring your kids and a picnic there to hang out for an hour or 2 after the parkrun?

In that park that is the only litter. The corpo do a great job. Obviously there is a litter around the estate but the park is always clean barring that far corner. I have never run through any litter.

In relation to bringing kids to the park, I wouldn't hang around Darndale after, but I wouldn't be hanging around the likes of Father Collins or Fairview either. Malahide or St Anne's on the other hand ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Collins is a lovely park. I have spent many afternoons there with my kids. I only ever had one incident when I had to hunt two teens out of the playground but otherwise never had an issue.
    Fairview is one that I am happy to go into during the day but would avoid it (during my run commute) when the evenings get darker.

Anyway we digress from the parkrun talk. I will visit all 4 again soon for parkrun. Fairview is by far my slowest time of the 4. Anne's is my fastest.

Collins is a lovely park. I have spent many afternoons there with my kids. I only ever had one incident when I had to hunt two teens out of the playground but otherwise never had an issue.
    Fairview is one that I am happy to go into during the day but would avoid it (during my run commute) when the evenings get darker.

Anyway we digress from the parkrun talk. I will visit all 4 again soon for parkrun. Fairview is by far my slowest time of the 4. Anne's is my fastest.

I found St Anne's the quickest out of those but I've only done it once when I was close to my fastest.

I found Fairview tough. Father Collins has a fair amount of turns. Both I've only done once also.

Darndale is my quickest this year but I'll be going to Malahide for a pb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Are we talking about Father Collins, Dublin 13 here?.. Scamblers, drug dealing?.

Aside from parkrun I train there a number of times a week, I walk the dogs there too and I'd often bring my Kindle up for some reading at the ponds (I usually hang my feet into the water, its nice :) )

Never once have I seen either a scrambler or drug dealing go on there.

Would I visit Darndale and do the same?.. Not a snowballs chance in hell, the park and the community are kips and when I asked about parking for a parkrun there I was told I'd be safest leaving the car in Tescos Clarehall SC and walking over, well feck that.

I feel for the people trying to get it off the ground, but the community just isn't interested in doing anything to better itself.

Darndale is on my cycle route to work and the gym, cycling through it, Belcamp and Priorswood is horrible. Its not a nice experience and I wouldn't bother going near the area in my recreational time.

Are we talking about Father Collins, Dublin 13 here?.. Scamblers, drug dealing?.

Aside from parkrun I train there a number of times a week, I walk the dogs there too and I'd often bring my Kindle up for some reading at the ponds (I usually hang my feet into the water, its nice :) )

Never once have I seen either a scrambler or drug dealing go on there.

Would I visit Darndale and do the same?.. Not a snowballs chance in hell, the park and the community are kips and when I asked about parking for a parkrun there I was told I'd be safest leaving the car in Tescos Clarehall SC and walking over, well feck that.

I feel for the people trying to get it off the ground, but the community just isn't interested in doing anything to better itself.

Darndale is on my cycle route to work and the gym, cycling through it, Belcamp and Priorswood is horrible. Its not a nice experience and I wouldn't bother going near the area in my recreational time.

Most of that is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Wottle

20:02 in Marlay to go with my previous few weeks of 20:07, 20:03 and 20:05
    Arghhhhh, still very enjoyable morning and full Irish breakfast after.

Collins pb for me today. Unfortunately garmin battery wasted after km 3 so didn't know where I was for time. 14 seconds off overall pb.

Bloody warm this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Singer wrote: »
    Malahide - a great park and a large amount of people. Also you may as well visit the home of the first Irish parkrun!

Thanks everyone for the advice. We went to malahide and had a lovely morning, very welcoming team and beautiful course. Will be back another time and stay longer to look around castle and gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Wottle wrote: »
    20:02 in Marlay to go with my previous few weeks of 20:07, 20:03 and 20:05
    Arghhhhh, still very enjoyable morning and full Irish breakfast after.

You'll get there! Probably when you least expect. Go to shanganagh or tymon, you'll defo hit it there. Marlay is busy, hilly and off-road which is all worth at least a few seconds.

Perfect morning for running, even the dash of rain to cool it off. Went sub 20 with the buggy for the first time so feel like I took advantage! ðŸ‘

Randomly, the parkrun seemed to be being recorded for some tv show or other...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I went down to Russborough today with my boyfriend, just to support him. Doing the MM tomorrow so wanted a bit of a break for the day. Ended up being one of the timekeepers :-)
    It's a lovely atmosphere and really nice core team. Would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

cazzer22 wrote:
    I went down to Russborough today with my boyfriend, just to support him. Doing the MM tomorrow so wanted a bit of a break for the day. Ended up being one of the timekeepers :-) It's a lovely atmosphere and really nice core team. Would recommend.

Being a volunteer is as much, if not, more fun & craic .

Get to know more people too.

Most of that is absolutely ridiculous.

Well that was my opinion, and you have yours. I think yours is ridiculous too but hey, enjoy your runs chef.

Collins pb for me today. Unfortunately garmin battery wasted after km 3 so didn't know where I was for time. 14 seconds off overall pb.

Bloody warm this morning.

Had my slowest there today lol.

I came off a night shift and went straight to Father Collins, a friend asked me to pace her for 33 minutes but she hadn't ran in a few weeks and fell off the pace fairly quickly.

But we had a good chat and a few laughs.

I'm running through a Judo/Jiu Jitsu rib injury and still finding it very difficult to fill my lungs so a very gentle run wasn't the worst thing in the world either.

Hopefully back recovered soon.

Oh, today was my parkrun first anniversary!.. 35 parkruns and 10 volunteer roles since this time last year, and seven minutes quicker (except for today).

So far I've mixed it up with Malahide, St. Annes, Father Collins, Old Bridge and Poppintree.. Any suggestions for a new run, nice scenery, an hour from Dublin max and not too hilly (one of the group hates hills), wouldn't mind Darndale if Bravestaar wants to prove me wrong and show me how ridiculous I am.

Will get Darndale in sometime over the summer though.

Donabate is the next one on my list so will do that over the coming weeks. Also need a crack at Poppintree again as my outing there was during a slow unfit phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Missed a double buggy PB at Warrington yesterday because I started too far back. Bah humbug.

In Dublin next weekend, trying to decide which one I'll do. Thinking Marlay, would prefer something I haven't done before easily accessible by public transport from Firhouse.

Well that was my opinion, and you have yours. I think yours is ridiculous too but hey, enjoy your runs chef.

One of the things you said was that it wouldn't be safe to park your car. In all the 50 odd runs there not one car has been damaged. So to say it's too dangerous to park your car there is absolutely ridiculous.

Donabate is the next one on my list so will do that over the coming weeks. Also need a crack at Poppintree again as my outing there was during a slow unfit phase.

Poppintree is a really nice one.. I found it pretty fast.
    Donabate is out and back but Newbridge is so nice. You'll enjoy both.

One of the things you said was that it wouldn't be safe to park your car. In all the 50 odd runs there not one car has been damaged. So to say it's too dangerous to park your car there is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not getting into a stupid tit-for-tat argument, good to hear.

Probably running Marley Park in two weeks, opinions?.

Looks like it gets good numbers, is there a cafe nearby?.. One of the group I'll be going with hates hill's, but she's not a boardsie so pray tell (and I'll take a guilty pleasure in knowing if there's a surprise in store lol).

Looking at photos it seems similar to Malahide Castle, would I be right?.

A final question, the parkrun bar code bracelet. What is the delivery time on ordering one?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

A final question, the parkrun bar code bracelet. What is the delivery time on ordering one?.

Mine came quick enough, think it was just over a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm not getting into a stupid tit-for-tat argument, good to hear.

Probably running Marley Park in two weeks, opinions?.

Looks like it gets good numbers, is there a cafe nearby?.. One of the group I'll be going with hates hill's, but she's not a boardsie so pray tell (and I'll take a guilty pleasure in knowing if there's a surprise in store lol).

Looking at photos it seems similar to Malahide Castle, would I be right?.

Marlay is nice single lap. First km is busy with large numbers, narrowish path and 2 90 degree turns. But after that there's a drag to thin out the crowd.

Similar to malahide, a lovely forested path mostly and some rough surface in 4th km. And yes a bit of a drag up in 4th km too. Nothing bonkers tho.

There's a coffee shop and market every Saturday at marlay house. It's near 3rd km marker, not at start/finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Missed a double buggy PB at Warrington yesterday because I started too far back. Bah humbug.

In Dublin next weekend, trying to decide which one I'll do. Thinking Marlay, would prefer something I haven't done before easily accessible by public transport from Firhouse.

Would Tymon not be handiest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Same for mine.

I'm not getting into a stupid tit-for-tat argument, good to hear

Grand. It was a stupid statement. It was no problem for the 55 that showed up yesterday from St. Anne's. All good reviews from what I seen on Facebook.

Grand. It was a stupid statement. It was no problem for the 55 that showed up yesterday from St. Anne's. All good reviews from what I seen on Facebook.

Are you my ex wife or something, she always had to get the last word in too.
    Marlay is nice single lap. First km is busy with large numbers, narrowish path and 2 90 degree turns. But after that there's a drag to thin out the crowd.

Similar to malahide, a lovely forested path mostly and some rough surface in 4th km. And yes a bit of a drag up in 4th km too. Nothing bonkers tho.

There's a coffee shop and market every Saturday at marlay house. It's near 3rd km marker, not at start/finish

Cheers for that, looking at the photos it looked similar to Malahide, which is not a bad thing at all.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

I'll order one so.

I was at a hospital appointment a few weeks ago and a lad beside me had one so naturally we got talking about parkrun. The guy is in the army with me, I knew he was a runner but most of us are however the parkrun bracelet was a nice opener and now we've went from just seeing each other in barracks or oversea's to mates having lunch together and talking about parkrun :D

(now I just have to get him into Judo and BJJ, then we can beat each other up whilst talking about parkrun too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Would Tymon not be handiest?

That or Bushy, but I'd like something I haven't done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

That or Bushy, but I'd like something I haven't done before.

I'd say Tymon would probably be a little easier to navigate with a double buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Corkagh is perfect for buggy running.

Has anyone done any foreign ones? I just booked Malmö. Well flights to Copenhagen but Malmö is as close. Will definitely do the parkrun there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Has anyone done any foreign ones? I just booked Malmö. Well flights to Copenhagen but Malmö is as close. Will definitely do the parkrun there.

Did Berlin - now at that one there actually was drug dealing going on at 9am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Van.Bosch wrote: »

EPO? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

We've done a few in Australia but also did Fælledparken parkrun in Copenhagen almost two years ago. Highly recommend! The same friendly crowd and familiar structure, run director briefing.. just in Danish! :) you'll guess what bit they're explaining by the crowd's reaction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Did my first parkrun yesterday (and first time running 5k, it was my final session of couch to 5k). Really enjoyed it and was expecting to do about 31 mins but I pushed myself and managed 29.24, delighted!

• Advertisement

Did my first parkrun yesterday (and first time running 5k, it was my final session of couch to 5k). Really enjoyed it and was expecting to do about 31 mins but I pushed myself and managed 29.24, delighted!

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Van.Bosch wrote: »

I done this one last year. I was running around trying to find the start and definitely ran into some unsavoury characters. It was the only place in Berlin that I didn't feel totally safe.

Don't get me wrong through. It was a lovely run.

I'm doing Jersey in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Looking back at my record I see that last Sat was my first parkaverserary! Which I coincidentally ran back at Ormeau, the venue of run #1(hadn't intended to go there!) and got a course PB to boot!

27 runs in the UK and Ireland, 9 volunteer stints 4 juniors (with the wee girl) and one scouting takeover of Ormeau Juniors.

I'm gonna call that a good year...

Oh and my apricot tee arrived and it's fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Managed to squeeze Crissy Field, San Francisco into a family holiday last year. Dead flat along the Bay with a view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate.
    Almost everyone there was a tourist, it was the weekend of the SF Marathon. Pretty special, but a long journey for a 5k...;)

What's Athlone like? Will be in Balinasloe for the weekend and looking for a run! Oranmore is further (and I've already got lots of O's! ;) ), but looking at Athlone's route page is leaving me a little cold....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

@Beardy

I know it's not exactly answering your question, but you could always try Portumna. It's in a nice wooded area, two laps with a bit of a climb (not huge though). I'm looking forward to going back the next time I'm in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

BeardySi wrote: »
    What's Athlone like? Will be in Balinasloe for the weekend and looking for a run! Oranmore is further (and I've already got lots of O's! ;) ), but looking at Athlone's route page is leaving me a little cold....

Athlone is the least fav of all parkruns i've done, its a bit all over the place

Portumna and Oranmore are both beautiful settings, with Oranmore being more hilly.

Athlone is the least fav of all parkruns i've done, its a bit all over the place

Portumna and Oranmore are both beautiful settings, with Oranmore being more hilly.

I'm trying to get them all done. Would this be one to do so when the weather is ****e like this week ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I'm trying to get them all done. Would this be one to do so when the weather is ****e like this week ?

Athlone is 70% grass (football pitches etc) so bring the football boots if this rain continues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Yeah, I've done a few in South Africa, like others have said the same general set up, same friendly crowds and same distance. Just beaware that Ireland probably has the latest starting time. In SA it's usually 8am start and in some parts of Australia it's 7am start. Mind you, I doubt Malmo is that early, temperatures don't rise quite so high in the summer there!

spaceylou wrote: »
    Yeah, I've done a few in South Africa, like others have said the same general set up, same friendly crowds and same distance. Just beaware that Ireland probably has the latest starting time. In SA it's usually 8am start and in some parts of Australia it's 7am start. Mind you, I doubt Malmo is that early, temperatures don't rise quite so high in the summer there!

Malmö is 9.30am also!

Athlone is 70% grass (football pitches etc) so bring the football boots if this rain continues!

I'll avoid that one so.

I'll avoid that one so.

Aye. Me and all I think. I'm not scheduled to do a mud run for a few months yet! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement