Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Did my first parkrun yesterday (and first time running 5k, it was my final session of couch to 5k). Really enjoyed it and was expecting to do about 31 mins but I pushed myself and managed 29.24, delighted!

Congratulations. Hopefully the first of many :) Things I’ve found that keep me motivated are-
    Trying to beat my personal best time
    Using the VHI app - if you have vhi insurance you can link your parkruns and you get little free rewards every few weeks, like bandanna, towel, bag.
    Visiting different parkruns in the area or if on holiday
    Volunteering - great way to meet the regulars and you’ll have more familiar faces the following weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Quick question. My map doesn't work on my phone or laptop for whatever reason .

I'm in Bundoran next week for some concert. Is there a parkrun relatively close ? Any one that I have checked that I know is in Donegal is over an hour away.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Bravestaar wrote: »
    Quick question. My map doesn't work on my phone or laptop for whatever reason .

I'm in Bundoran next week for some concert. Is there a parkrun relatively close ? Any one that I have checked that I know is in Donegal is over an hour away.

The closest two look to be Sligo (35-40 minute drive) and Enniskillen (45-50 minutes drive), based on Google Maps estimations. Others that know the roads better might be able to give better estimates for driving from one to the other on a Saturday morning.

The closest two look to be Sligo (35-40 minute drive) and Enniskillen (45-50 minutes drive), based on Google Maps estimations. Others that know the roads better might be able to give better estimates for driving from one to the other on a Saturday morning.

Sligo it is so. Thanks for the help.

I don't know why the map won't load !

I find it a bit hit and miss as to whether it loads or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

I find it a bit hit and miss as to whether it loads or not.

same as.... regularly

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Try this link as a more reliable way of locating parkruns:

https://touristtool.mybluemix.net/

The map on the official site is dodgy, although better than it used to be I think. Sometimes the URL will be ending in /events/events and either adding, or removing, the extra event from the URL you are trying to load can nudge it back into action.

robinph wrote: »
    Try this link as a more reliable way of locating parkruns:

https://touristtool.mybluemix.net/

The map on the official site is dodgy, although better than it used to be I think. Sometimes the URL will be ending in /events/events and either adding, or removing, the extra event from the URL you are trying to load can nudge it back into action.

Bookmarked, knew it existed but couldn't find.

Just a note that it uses straight line distance to determine proximity, so we were all set to go to Buncrana Parkrun from Rathmullan a few weeks ago, but you either swim across Lough Swilly to get there or go via Letterkenny.

https://touristtool.mybluemix.net/#gcf9ktcgs17y

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just a note that it uses straight line distance to determine proximity, so we were all set to go to Buncrana Parkrun from Rathmullan a few weeks ago, but you either swim across Lough Swilly to get there or go via Letterkenny.

It used to use actual driving distances, but then that would only work until a certain hour of the day depending on how many people used the link from that website, then Google Maps times the app out as having used too much data. The guy who came up with that page is in the process of converting it to use OSM data fully, but not got round to it yet I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Speaking of Donegal parkruns, there is another one starting there soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How fantastic. I love that beach. Wow. That'll be super.

aquinn wrote: »
    How fantastic. I love that beach. Wow. That'll be super.

Yep looks like a rival to Inch Beach
    No facebook page yet, look forward to see more pics of route etc

Happen to have FB memories today.

Happen to have FB memories today.

A brilliant chance for a double up with Dungloe on NYD also!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Delighted to see this. It’s a spectacular beach... but will be just a little windy :pac:

• Advertisement

Sligo is a half hour drive and a very nice parkrun ... with a bit of an upward drag (twice). The trail along the lake (parkrun doesn’t use) is beautiful for warmup or cool down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I doubt that.
    Will I go to Inch Beach or get up at 3am and drive to the other beach parkrun in Donegal? Or vice versa. Hmmm......

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I doubt that.
    Will I go to Inch Beach or get up at 3am and drive to the other beach parkrun in Donegal? Or vice versa. Hmmm......

Hello , where are you planning to drive from at 3am??? Kerry? It’s closer to Dublin than Inch beach.

annapr wrote: »
    Hello , where are you planning to drive from at 3am??? Kerry? It’s closer to Dublin than Inch beach.

Yeah, Kerry.
    The previous poster said it was competition for Inch Beach. I doubt either will affect each other's attendances tbh..
    Can't see anybody going to either of them from Dublin even though they would only have to leave around 5am :D

Yeah, Kerry.
    The previous poster said it was competition for Inch Beach. I doubt either will affect each other's attendances tbh..
    Can't see anybody going to either of them from Dublin even though they would only have to leave around 5am :D

I’m sure you’re up that early these days anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I doubt that.

Sure you could make a weekend of it? I did so in Inch a couple of weekends ago and its not the worst way to spend a weekend.

annapr wrote: »
    Sligo is a half hour drive and a very nice parkrun ... with a bit of an upward drag (twice). The trail along the lake (parkrun doesn’t use) is beautiful for warmup or cool down.

I'm one of the few who likes the odd hill! Looking forward to Sligo now.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Sure you could make a weekend of it? I did so in Inch a couple of weekends ago and its not the worst way to spend a weekend.

I think you're missing the point.
    It was said that the new Narin beach parkrun was competition for Inch Beach. I'm saying that neither are likely to affect each other's attendances. Maybe I worded it badly.
    I'm sure they're both lovely and you could justify a weekend in either one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sligo is good. The down hill pays you back for the uphill. They had a water feature the day I was there where we had to run through 6 inches of water. There was a horrendous rain storm that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 smurfsturf

I am travelling to Co. Down in a couple of weeks and would like to run Rostrevor or Castlewellan, whichever is the flattest as I want a break from hills!
    Which one should I go for?

I think you're missing the point.
    It was said that the new Narin beach parkrun was competition for Inch Beach. I'm saying that neither are likely to affect each other's attendances. Maybe I worded it badly.
    I'm sure they're both lovely and you could justify a weekend in either one.

I think you badly missed my point if you thought I was suggesting that a parkrun in Donegal would impact numbers on a parkrun in Kerry.

I said it would rival it in terms of being the nicest beach run.

I said it would rival it in terms of being the nicest beach run.

Maybe that's what you meant, but it's not what you said:

Anyway I get you now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

smurfsturf wrote: »
    I am travelling to Co. Down in a couple of weeks and would like to run Rostrevor or Castlewellan, whichever is the flattest as I want a break from hills!
    Which one should I go for?

Not run either, but as that part of the country is famous for being the opposite of flat you might have a wee problem ;)

Was all set to head down to Portumna in the morning till I saw it's off this week :(

Oranmore here I come. Shame its not called Renvile, I don't have an R....

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Brilliant! Lovely beach - there can be one hell of a headwind on it, but that's beaches for ya! Have family in that neck of the woods and usually up once if not twice a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I see there is a closed event called the Glen. It seems to be up near the Curragh.

Some people have managed to do it though. Has anyone any idea how?

I've emailed them twice and got no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Could it be on the military base there and closed to the public?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

cjt156 wrote: »

I heard from someone that it's part of a drug rehabilitation clinic. I am not sure if that's correct.

I was hoping it was like Progression where they let people in now and again. I've done that and it was a fantastic experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

I heard from someone that it's part of a drug rehabilitation clinic. I am not sure if that's correct.

I was hoping it was like Progression where they let people in now and again. I've done that and it was a fantastic experience

Yeah it’s a drug treatment centre. I don’t think it’s open like Progression parkrun. Am open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cjt156 wrote: »

There are no military parkrun events that I know of (I'm military) but it would be great if there was!.

Talking of military, if anyone ran Father Collins today and wondered about the soldier/time keeper in full DPM's (camo) 'twas myself!.. I came straight from a 24 hour shift and onto time keeper without so much as a quick coffee :D

I was told people can apply to do the Mountjoy Prison parkrun, does anyone know how that works?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Today I joined the 100 club! After signing up about 4 years ago, it took me another 4 or 5 months to actually run my first one because I was always working weekends.
    For anyone interested, my runs were:
    Dundalk x 69
    Malahide x 18
    Father Collins x 2
    Darndale x 2
    Donabate x 1
    Ardgillan x 1
    Hasenheide x 1
    Crissy Field x 1
    Armagh x 1
    Rostrevor x 1
    Castleblayney x 1
    Oldbridge x 1
    Ormeau x 1

Congratulations on your 100th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did Marlay today, really enjoyed the run despite being desperately hung over after beers with my sister yesterday. Really enjoyed it, sub 28 (just!) and the boys had fun in the playground with nana too.

KJ wrote: »
    Today I joined the 100 club! After signing up about 4 years ago, it took me another 4 or 5 months to actually run my first one because I was always working weekends.
    For anyone interested, my runs were:
    Dundalk x 69
    Malahide x 18
    Father Collins x 2
    Darndale x 2
    Donabate x 1
    Ardgillan x 1
    Hasenheide x 1
    Crissy Field x 1
    Armagh x 1
    Rostrevor x 1
    Castleblayney x 1
    Oldbridge x 1
    Ormeau x 1

That's super, well done.

Fastest at Malahide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did Darndale. After the previous comments about it, we found it no problem at all. The team were very friendly. They offered water, tea, coffee and buns after. Would definitely go back.

Oh yeah, got a PB! :) 2nd one this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Did Darndale. After the previous comments about it, we found it no problem at all. The team were very friendly. They offered water, tea, coffee and buns after. Would definitely go back.

To be fair I don't think anyone criticised the parkrun itself. It was the area that was (and is) a cause for concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

That's super, well done.

Fastest at Malahide?

My fastest was 20:34 which I got the exact same time at both Malahide and Dundalk which was weird.

Darndale is a perfectly fine Parkrun as long as you dodge the random horses running about.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think anyone criticised the parkrun itself. It was the area that was (and is) a cause for concern.

Agree 100%.
    KJ wrote: »
    Darndale is a perfectly fine Parkrun as long as you dodge the random horses running about.

They are tied up. But you keep one eye out...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Raging.

I went to Oranmore in the end yesterday (lovely run, can't recommend enough!) and because of reasons got to the carpark 5mins late, so missed the start. No accurate barcode time for me.

Now here's the thing, my GPS didn't lock on for the first 100m or so, but my watch gave me a time about 40secs faster my parkrun PB time for the bit it recorded. I ran close to or faster than my PB time and I've no record of it!! Aaaargh!

Oh well, at least it was a great run!

BeardySi wrote: »
    Raging.

I went to Oranmore in the end yesterday (lovely run, can't recommend enough!) and because of reasons got to the carpark 5mins late, so missed the start. No accurate barcode time for me.

Now here's the thing, my GPS didn't lock on for the first 100m or so, but my watch gave me a time about 40secs faster my parkrun PB time for the bit it recorded. I ran close to or faster than my PB time and I've no record of it!! Aaaargh!

Oh well, at least it was a great run!

Ah no. That's unfortunate. You'll have it in your for next Saturday so!

Pherekydes wrote: »

Oh yeah, got a PB! :) 2nd one this year.

I'm thinking of doing Darndale as the mid point in a long run this Sunday, so it'll be a slow one.

Do you know if there's a short cut out of the park onto the N32?

Anyone else heading that way?

• Advertisement

Do you know if there's a short cut out of the opark onto the N32?

Anyone else heading that way?

There is a pedestrian gate onto the N32.

There are no military parkrun events that I know of (I'm military) but it would be great if there was!.

There used to be at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, although it counted as a UK event. A friend was out there when it still existed but forgot his barcode.

Ran #50 in St Anne's on Saturday, lots of tourism over the 50 runs, 26 different locations in total.

Parkrun|Times run
    St Anne’s parkrun|17
    Fairview parkrun|4
    Tolka Valley parkrun|2
    Corkagh parkrun|2
    Tramore parkrun, Waterford|2
    Poppintree parkrun|2
    Poolbeg parkrun|2
    Newcastle parkrun|1
    Tyrrelstown parkrun|1
    Castletown parkrun|1
    Hartstown parkrun|1
    Waterstown parkrun|1
    Marlay parkrun|1
    Royal Canal parkrun, Kilcock|1
    Wanaka parkrun|1
    Darndale parkrun|1
    Taupo parkrun|1
    Donabate parkrun|1
    Westport parkrun|1
    Malahide parkrun|1
    Centennial parkrun|1
    Queenstown parkrun|1
    Dungloe parkrun|1
    Porterstown parkrun|1
    Father Collins parkrun|1
    Letterkenny parkrun|1

robinph wrote: »
    There used to be at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, although it counted as a UK event. A friend was out there when it still existed but forgot his barcode.

I meant Irish of course, but that's pretty cool.

I'm hoping to get out to Syria next summer (winter's in on the Golan Heights are too harsh), it would be great to have a Syrian parkrun :D

Whats the easiest way to see where these park runs are on? I've found the website not all that user friendly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement