Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Local for me and I done a few stints volunteering <--> One main reason that turned me off participating was the number of 'professionals' (GAA; running clubs etc etc).

I have decided however that I am due my first participation this coming weekend. I have printed off my barcode and I done a 3km walk this morning. I shall be walking and jogging as opposed to run this 5km but for me it is the taking part and the increase in my fitness that counts so Killarney shall have one extra(at least) this coming weekend :)

Good Morning All and a note that I am unfollowing for the following reasons:
    Thanks to All who responded in some way to my news. I had the best of intentions and I did turn up(which was huge for me btw). It was nice being up n Out early again and for exercise too and for me to be in my NationalPark after so long was nice but nervy. I'll be walking the main roads from now onwards I reckon; lovely route but personal reasons.

I decided to walk/jog a 3km route(some of main parkrun but in reverse) which I was happy with. Legs started good but I am working on my fitness.
    Nice turnout this morning in Killarney and a nice mix of participants too. I envy All who can run full-stop and enjoy doing so too.

Bowing out. I've work to do before committing to the clock of ANother as opposed to my own Garmin and my own goals and plans.

Thanks Again,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

deisedude wrote: »
    Whats the Mallow course like? Thinking of doing it tomorrow

Replying to my own post but i'll share my thoughts for anyone thinking of doing Mallow in future.

The volunteers were excellent. Really friendly and chatty.

Very easy to get parking with a few car parks across the road from the park.

Course was nice. 1 lap of the park an out and back and a further lap of the park. One short sharp pull, part of the course is on grass which might slow you down in the winter months when the ground is softer underfoot but it was grand today with the good weather. A little bit of craic running past the hurdy gurdys which are making a visit to the town.

Overall I'd highly recommend. I'll be back!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tymon this morning. The more training I do the less fit I seem to get.

Also that's the 3rd different route I've run at Tymon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

adrian522 wrote: »
    Tymon this morning. The more training I do the less fit I seem to get.

Also that's the 3rd different route I've run at Tymon :)

Was there myself as well, I like how they regularly mix up the route.

Took it easy with the buggy, rain was actually nice for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

St Anne's was like a fecking sauna this morning! (or so I thought).

It was so bloody humid, and when the rain stopped & the heat began to evaporate the water from the paths, phew!.

After that a few of us went down to support some friends running the Clontarf half & 5m.

Good running day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

I made my second trip to St Anne’s yesterday. Last time I ran, the route was in the opposite direction. Do switch the course regularly? It’s a nice flat route but the finish stretch on the Avenue was tough, it seemed to go on forever, especially the second time round. Nice atmosphere and nearly 350 runners.

It was nice to have the rain, it kept things nice and cool but it was humid. Although it was kinda nippy standing around along the coast for the Clontarf races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Caprica wrote: »
    I made my second trip to St Anne’s yesterday. Last time I ran, the route was in the opposite direction. Do switch the course regularly? It’s a nice flat route but the finish stretch on the Avenue was tough, it seemed to go on forever, especially the second time round. Nice atmosphere and nearly 350 runners.

It was nice to have the rain, it kept things nice and cool but it was humid. Although it was kinda nippy standing around along the coast for the Clontarf races.

No, the one you ran yesterday is the proper route. We had to swap it around a while ago, for about 8 months I think, as there were works going on on our route. Glad you enjoyed it though - come back soon. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I did Glen River in Cork last Saturday for the 2nd time, I really really like this one, a nicer route than Ballincollig (sorry!) and a lovely bunch of super friendly volunteers. I hope their numbers pick up.

Back to Cabo this week, haven't run it in a good while and fully expecting to be totally banjaxed crossing the finish #speedbumps

Myself and my friend going to try the glen river one on Saturday - where exactly is the entrance to the park and is there parking in the vicinity?

Caprica wrote: »

''kinda nippy'' lol, it was bloody Baltic lol.

I cycled down, met some friends who were doing to 5 and had planned on staying to meet three more who were doing the half, but the wind and rain closed in.

Half way home and I'd to ring to get the heating turned on, I was frozen and soaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Father Collins Park celebrating its 200th parkrun on 13th July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

leahyl wrote: »
    Myself and my friend going to try the glen river one on Saturday - where exactly is the entrance to the park and is there parking in the vicinity?

Here's a map showing the different places you can park. That one on the top right is the Lidl car park.

484712.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

opus wrote: »
    Here's a map showing the different places you can park. That one on the top right is the Lidl car park.

Ah cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

Father Collins Park celebrating its 200th parkrun on 13th July.

Thanks for that, that's where I'll be.
    I haven't ran there before but it will be my last leg stretcher before the Bettystown 5 miler next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I did the Jersey parkrun at the weekend. It starts at 9am which I actually think is a little better. It was a lovely flat course with some brilliant volunteers. There was about 350 doing it but it's normally more. Very hot and humid, I think it was 28 degrees.

sonyvision wrote: »
    Running in waterstown this weekend. First attempt at been a pacer! So fingers crossed I can keep the pace flat and encourage all aound me.

How did you get on? It's something I must try, ie being a pacer.
    That'll be the only flat part of it so :D. I need to go back and do Waterstown again as I forgot my barcode the day I went, gorgeous course but lots of bumps! Best of luck with the pacing.

Ah Waterstown isn't that bad. There's a little hill as you come over the bridge (twice). The last 300 metres or so, that's a killer. The hardest finish to any parkrun I've done anyway.

It is such a nice parkrun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did the Jersey parkrun at the weekend. It starts at 9am which I actually think is a little better. It was a lovely flat course with some brilliant volunteers. There was about 350 doing it but it's normally more. Very hot and humid, I think it was 28 degrees.

They all do in England, Wales and the Channel Islands - I definitely prefer it too.

They all do in England, Wales and the Channel Islands - I definitely prefer it too.

I prefer it in the summer, but in the winter, it's a dark start!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and most of the rest of the world. Think that NI/ Scotland/ Ireland are the only country wide non-9am start times.

There are alternative start times in different locations but on a case by case basis depending on the local weather conditions. There were apparently Australian parkrunners who turned up at an event in the US this weekend at 7am wondering where everyone was, not realising that it was 9am everywhere else. :D

But here is an interesting chart from parkrun USA which shows the number of people parkrunning at any moment in time from the 7:30am Eastern time zone start of Clermont Waterfront. Apart from the people in Aspen running a bit too quickly they are very close to having 5 and a half hours worth of constant parkrunning across the US.

66246341_10219627872436765_8945973770087038976_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_eui2=AeGbl8VXkRIn3j5oA1R8BoaFdyxn2XG0P1hGgoIv1PXQMySNBZMnlp-X9Q335K-tpZDP0TnMQy3EVuB4-kcQ6-BELtecVJtPQ1HjSH-N2LnxcQ&_nc_oc=AQln9xfOs0e-qksLkKyijD3f5MlucIBaXiHlMeiqWjl_E4JuEqg1zqz0CVHQd9FFTAU&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=91806adc3714c31d700b9efe5ce5c433&oe=5DB71C2E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are there any close enough together that you could nip across a time zone border and do 2 in one morning?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are there any close enough together that you could nip across a time zone border and do 2 in one morning?

New Years Day is the only day you can do two parkruns and gets two results. Even on xmas day where there are parkruns at different times only your first one will count officially anyway.

It surely is physically possible though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

@Pawwed Rig

Had a quick look and nope, not possible. Canada neither by the looks of it.

In fact considering the size of the US population, there are very few parkruns organised, although it may be because it's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

No need for multiple timezones or countries.

Depending on your pace, you could possibly run Centennial Parkrun at 7am and then run over to St Peters for the 8am start there. If that's too tight, it's only a 15 minute drive according to Google Maps. Obviously, this requires you to be in Sydney, Australia.

Although as Name Changed suggests, you might not get two results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It used to be possible and permitted to run in Aukland, NZ and then in Vancover, Can depending on the daylight savings time and flight schedules. parkrun have since said that these won't be permitted in the future.

I believe there are some events near enough to each other in Australia and oposite sides of a time zone that would make it possible to be at the start of both events, these would always have been flagged and the second event deleted though.

There are loads of events where if you are fast enough you could complete one run, get scanned, run to the other event and beat the tail marshal over the line, but again these would get flagged and the second event deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

robinph wrote: »
    There are loads of events where if you are fast enough you could complete one run, get scanned, run to the other event and beat the tail marshal over the line, but again these would get flagged and the second event deleted.

A fast enough runner could probably do this at Stretford and Sale Water, 2 miles apart. Also Highbury Fields and Finsbury Park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Would be good fun to try it. Probably a safety issue though if you were driving at breakneck speed between 2 parks.

I would say you could manage Collins and Darndale if you stashed a bicycle at the Collins finish line and then belted up to Darndale park. You would need to hope for a walker in Darndale though.

Would be good fun to try it. Probably a safety issue though if you were driving at breakneck speed between 2 parks.

I would say you could manage Collins and Darndale if you stashed a bicycle at the Collins finish line and then belted up to Darndale park. You would need to hope for a walker in Darndale though.

r just do them in the other order. More likely to be a walker at Fr Collins?

Would probably work on southside with Tymon and Bushy, both have reasonable number of walkers. about 10min cycle between the 2.

There is usually a walker in Darndale
    You'd want to be nifty anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

crisco10 wrote: »
    Would probably work on southside with Tymon and Bushy, both have reasonable number of walkers. about 10min cycle between the 2.

On the map these two parks are 10 mins cycling (or less) from each other, but there's no chance of cycling from Tymon to Bushy for parkrun in 10 mins. Tymon parkrun is up in greenhills and Bushy is over on the Rathfarnham side.

On the map these two parks are 10 mins cycling (or less) from each other, but there's no chance of cycling from Tymon to Bushy for parkrun in 10 mins. Tymon parkrun is up in greenhills and Bushy is over on the Rathfarnham side.

Meh, I'd disagree. It's 3.3km from the little entrance to the river path at Tesco to limekiln road car park. That's about a 10 min cycle.
    As someone else put it, you'd need to be nifty alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Father Collins are hosting parkrunabú on the 27th of July .

Bígí linn on the 27th of July at 9:30am to spread cúpla focal ! Father Collins parkrun are delighted to be teaming up with An tOireachtas to bring you parkrunabú, a chance to experience parkrun as Gaeilge !! All aspects of parkrun will be as Gaeilge from signs to the run brief. Even the volunteers will give you a "Lean ort!" as you pass! So let's all spread the word and show up in our hordes and, yes there will be cáca milis and some small freebies to hand out. Ag súil le fáilte a chur romhaibh go léir ar an 27ú Iúil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

AlFoley wrote: »

Bígí linn on the 27th of July at 9:30am to spread cúpla focal ! Father Collins parkrun are delighted to be teaming up with An tOireachtas to bring you parkrunabú, a chance to experience parkrun as Gaeilge !! All aspects of parkrun will be as Gaeilge from signs to the run brief. Even the volunteers will give you a "Lean ort!" as you pass! So let's all spread the word and show up in our hordes and, yes there will be cáca milis and some small freebies to hand out. Ag súil le fáilte a chur romhaibh go léir ar an 27ú Iúil!

That is a lovely idea. Nothing to stop parkruns and other organisations from using the Irish language a bit more. We really need more opportunities for people to speak Irish outside of the school system.

B linn on the 27th of July at 9:30am to spread cúpla focal ! Father Collins parkrun are delighted to be teaming up with An tOireachtas to bring you parkrunabú, a chance to experience parkrun as Gaeilge !! All aspects of parkrun will be as Gaeilge from signs to the run brief. Even the volunteers will give you a "Lean ort!" as you pass! So let's all spread the word and show up in our hordes and, yes there will be c milis and some small freebies to hand out. Ag súil le fte a chur romhaibh go l ar an 27ú Iúil!

Fantastic idea.

Although I'm a soldier and all our foot and arms drill is in Irish I've hardly a word of my own language, and its purely out of laziness too.

I'd love to see more Gaeilge used, I'm envious of people with good Irish.

Well done, brilliant idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the Irish for barcode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Shedite27 wrote: »

Don't forget your barrachód :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Shedite27 wrote: »

Beir leat do bharrachód !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Fantastic idea.

Although I'm a soldier and all our foot and arms drill is in Irish I've hardly a word of my own language, and its purely out of laziness too.

I'd love to see more Gaeilge used, I'm envious of people with good Irish.

Well done, brilliant idea.

Just go around shouting Ar Sodar at everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah cheers! :)

Sorry just seeing your post now, that's a super map from Opus, I usually park where the map says Parking 20, it's very handy especially if you're an early bird. The toilets are at the The Glen Resource & Sports centre. Enjoy it, it's a really lovely parkrun.

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Just go around shouting Ar Sodar at everyone :D

Damn, every soldiers knows that one :(

Had a visit from the great Sonia O'Sullivan in Ballincollig this morning, she picked up a pb there as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This show looks interesting ...

Monday July 15th BBC1 7.30pm, repeated Sunday Night (early Monday) July 21st 12.15am

Dame Kelly:The Power Of Parkrun-Our Lives
    In this uplifting Our Lives documentary, Dame Kelly Holmes explores the rise of parkrun and the mental health benefits of running, in the build-up to the launch of a new run in Northern Ireland.

Over the last 14 years, the parkrun phenomenon has transformed Saturday mornings around the world. What started out in London as a simple idea to get mates together for a time trial and a coffee has turned into something much, much bigger. Today, parkrun is one of the largest running events on the planet, pulling in more than 235,000 participants around the globe every weekend. Although it started out as a runners’ event, these days it is about improving health and well-being, inspiring people to take exercise, meet neighbours and volunteer. The organisation is now actively targeting areas of social deprivation in the UK, with its focus shifting toward how running can help transform our mental well-being.

This film follows the launch of a new event in one of those areas – Strabane in Northern Ireland - and is presented by one of the UK’s most successful athletes, two-time Olympic gold winner Dame Kelly Holmes, whose passion for parkrun sees her make unannounced appearances at runs all over the UK. Dame Kelly reveals that away from the track she has struggled with mental health issues from a young age, including self-harm, anxiety and depression following the death of her mother two years ago. She uses her own personal experiences to help inspire and coach two people using the new run to kick-start their fitness journey. With five weeks to prepare for the event, will they join the running revolution?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0006wf4

opus wrote: »
    Had a visit from the great Sonia O'Sullivan in Ballincollig this morning, she picked up a pb there as well!

Sonia who?.. Never heard of her, she must be a fairly good runner so?.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Number 100 hit today :) Another badge after my name in the results.

Did a 5K last night as well, and still found today easier than the run last week.

Didn't think it would be growing in popularity from when I started out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Had a nice parkrun in porterstown, very happy PB now sits sub 22 minutes. Next target 21:30 :D.

Hopefully progression parkrun soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Tring Parkrun

For the older and slower parkrunners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Did Lough Key at the weekend. Beautiful run through the woodland in a fantastic park. Also one of those rare and wonderful beasts - a single lapper.

Well worth a visit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Visited Bere Island on Saturday. Great parkrun with a friendly, enthusiastic group of volunteers. Fabulous views and seemed like you were in the Mediterranean with turquoise seas in all directions and the sun beating down. The route is a bit hilly, especially at the start so not PB friendly but it's a one-lapper and well worth the visit all the same.
    Great facilities with changing rooms and even showers and seemingly inexhaustible menu options in the Bakehouse afterwards.

My first overseas parkrun. :D

Of the events within about half an hour of Shannon would have the best combination of being buggy pushable, nearby swings and slides and coffee/ cake options?

Have done Lees Road and Clarisford previously and wouldn't be averse to re-visiting, but as there are a few more to chose from now and I'll be the one driving I'll be aiming the car in the direction of a new event for us if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

robinph wrote: »
    Of the events within about half an hour of Shannon would have the best combination of being buggy pushable, nearby swings and slides and coffee/ cake options?

Mungret might be an option. Wide tarmac paths, nice cafe 30 seconds walk from the finish and children's playground on site. The only issue might be the hills which aren't that big a deal uphill (gradual enough) but there's also a fairly sharp descent. I've never pushed a buggy so don't know whether this is an issue or not. Photos on their FB should give you an idea of what the hills are like.

Downhills are (mostly) fine as I can make back the places I lost on the way up, it's hairpin bends at the bottom of steep hills that give me terrors when buggy pushing. Kid loves them though. :D

Short snippet on parkrun from Trans World Sport.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement