Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Spirogyra wrote: »
    A 38 second discrepancy between the time on my Garmin and my official result. How is that even possible? Does take away from the experience a little bit.
    With a difference that big I'd normally email the team my time the next day (assuming I knew I'd actually started at the correct time) as that can help them resolve potential issues in the results such as the tokens and times having got out of sequence.

There is normally only a second or two difference with my times, and that is down to me starting my watch early so I have both hands ready to push on the G of Go, and not being able to brake, steer around the finish funnel, catch a loose teddy bear and stop my watch at the finish all at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

Is there an app that you can get on your phone for this ?

Via Firefox on phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Have an interesting few parkruns coming up.

Going to a friend's wedding this Saturday. He's asked me to pace him to sub 24 at Corkagh. Not a pb but a decent improvement on where he is right now.

Following week I'm gonna run Hove Promenade in Brighton for a rare bit of tourism.

That will be my 99th.

The following week is Corkagh's 99th so I'm gonna volunteer at that then run my 100th at Corkagh's 100th.

Can't wait.

Mate wanted me to pace him to a pb as he wanted to tell everyone it was the best day of his life.

Talked him out of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

You've a similar adventure to me Lazare.

I did my 100 on the 13th.

Did Fairview last weekend for their 2nd b'day with VHI

Hitting Edinburgh & Bristol over the next two weekends.

I think this might be creating a mini record of 4 different consecutive parkruns .

• Advertisement

Fairview is 2 years already. Wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Just a remainder that parkrunabú is happening at Father Collins this Saturday morning and everyone is welcomed along.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

chinguetti wrote: »
    Just a remainder that parkrunabú is happening at Father Collins this Saturday morning and everyone is welcomed along.

Rumour has it that there may be cake !!!!

hmmmm, is maith liom cáca milis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Anyone any experience of Armagh parkrun? Is it easy to find and is there much parking, no mention of parking on website?

I heading there with youngest for Soccer tournament next week and trying to see if I can do it before her Soccer as its not too far from the soccer location although soccer registration is at 10 so might not be possible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Younganne wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of Armagh parkrun? Is it easy to find and is there much parking, no mention of parking on website?

I heading there with youngest for Soccer tournament next week and trying to see if I can do it before her Soccer as its not too far from the soccer location although soccer registration is at 10 so might not be possible!!
    I've done Armagh. There is plenty of parking inside the park so no need to worry about that. The park itself is just off a main street so you should find it easy enough. It's a nice course but a couple of tough hills in there.

I've attached a link to my garmin and if you zoom out you will be able to see the roads and hopefully that will make it easier for you to find.

Armagh parkrun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

KJ wrote: »
    I've done Armagh. There is plenty of parking inside the park so no need to worry about that. The park itself is just off a main street so you should find it easy enough. It's a nice course but a couple of tough hills in there.

I've attached a link to my garmin and if you zoom out you will be able to see the roads and hopefully that will make it easier for you to find.

Armagh parkrun

Thanks a mil KJ, very helpful. Hills I don't mind as I'll be going very easy, it would just be a shame to miss an opportunity to do it when its only 5 mins drive from tournament location.

Younganne wrote: »
    Thanks a mil KJ, very helpful. Hills I don't mind as I'll be going very easy, it would just be a shame to miss an opportunity to do it when its only 5 mins drive from tournament location.
    No problem. It's a very nice place for a run. Must try get up there again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭ISOP

Parkrun PB and all time 5k pb this morning 21:37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It was fantastic to hear Irish being spoken in Father Collins this morning, and I even heard runners chatting in Irish on the run!, brilliant.

Senior moment here, who did I meet this morning?.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

It was fantastic to hear Irish being spoken in Father Collins this morning, and I even heard runners chatting in Irish on the run!, brilliant.

The cáca milis at the end was a nice bonus too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'd look for a refund!

I'll never understand why this thread attracts so many of these dickish responses. All they did was ask how the discrepancy was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Did Marley Park this morning. Still no result up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yes well about 500 run in marlay park...Takes a little bit longer

deconduo wrote: »
    The c milis at the end was a nice bonus too!

Liz makes the best cakes for these special occasions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Liz makes the best cakes for these special occasions

Bhí mé ann. Duine leis an visor agus léine parkrun dubh le 100 air. Rith mé go dona ach thaitin an maidin liom pé scéal é.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is maith liom cáca milis.

Very wet and damp Edinburgh this morning. Slow start due to traveling.

Would be a very quick one apart from that.

Very flat, out & back along seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

McCrack wrote: »
    Yes well about 500 run in marlay park...Takes a little bit longer

No it won’t be that as the results for Marley are always up before noon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

No marlay usually has the results emailed between lunchtime to 5.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

parkrun #90 this morning in Avondale Forrest Park, oh so beautiful! A bit on the tough side with lots of hills but did I mention how beautiful it was? They have a lovely outside popup coffee shop that I didn't avail of this time. Would recommend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭CassieManson

McCrack wrote:
    No marlay usually has the results emailed between lunchtime to 5.30pm

Marlay results won't be available until tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Me!

Nice to meet another boardsie.

Managed a few milestones, albeit small ones: 20th parkrun this year; 10th different parkrun; 13th (unlucky for some) sub 30. The wife set a PB. She's now improved by over 10 mins since she started in October.

Cake was nice! The park is beautifully landscaped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll never understand why this thread attracts so many of these dickish responses. All they did was ask how the discrepancy was possible.

I don't think it's a dickish response. Refunding the entrance fee is a running (pun intended) joke in parkrun circles.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Me!

Nice to meet another boardsie.

Managed a few milestones, albeit small ones: 20th parkrun this year; 10th different parkrun; 13th (unlucky for some) sub 30. The wife set a PB. She's now improved by over 10 mins since she started in October.

Cake was nice! The park is beautifully landscaped.

Cool!

I just couldn't picture the username when you told me, then by the time I'd done my TRX and cycled home it was completely lost on me.

Nice meeting you and your wife too, a ten minute improvement since Oct is impressive!.

I think I've posted one photo of myself here and I'm always amazed by how many people have asked me if I was Makikomi from boards.ie at parkrun's!.

I'd hardly recognize my own children if I didn't see them in a few days lol

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

New male record in Fairview this week of 15:50. I was on an easy run and he lapped me early on my second lap, along the main path in the park. Absolutely flying. He was barcode scanning at the finish as well. I think he was part of a group of tourists over from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Should see the parkrun discussion group on FB - it's only worth reading for the snarkiness....

Lazare wrote: »
    Have an interesting few parkruns coming up.

Going to a friend's wedding this Saturday. He's asked me to pace him to sub 24 at Corkagh. Not a pb but a decent improvement on where he is right now.

Following week I'm gonna run Hove Promenade in Brighton for a rare bit of tourism.

That will be my 99th.

The following week is Corkagh's 99th so I'm gonna volunteer at that then run my 100th at Corkagh's 100th.

Can't wait.

Hove Prom is cancelled due to Pride.

Brighton & Hove is only a short warm up away so I'll do that. The other local one Preston Park is also cancelled so there should be big numbers.

Has anyone ran B&H?

We're having our first birthday at Orangefield (Belfast) on Saturday. If anyone was contemplating a trip up that way, ti'd be a great time to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

BeardySi wrote: »
    We're having our first birthday at Orangefield (Belfast) on Saturday. If anyone was contemplating a trip up that way, ti'd be a great time to do it!

I was thinking of going up to Queens to get a Q done but I might try Orangefield.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of going up to Queens to get a Q done but I might try Orangefield.

It's the nicer course ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Can anyone tell me anything about Clonakilty parkrun in Co. Cork? Me and my fiancée are moving there :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me anything about Clonakilty parkrun in Co. Cork? Me and my fiancée are moving there :-)

What do you want to know that isn't covered on the web page?

I'm going to be in Kerry for the long w/end so looking forward to seeing the new course in Killarney. Mind you there was nothing to complain about with the old course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

New Ross parkrun for me this weekend for a spot of tourism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

This morning I was privileged to do Progression parkrun in Mountjoy. One of, if not the, friendliest parkruns I've ever been to. Tough enough course, 7 and a half laps with a drag each time. I really missed having a dog to help.

Would highly recommend it to anyone that gets the chance. Fully booked until March I believe.

• Advertisement

Ashton Court in Bristol today.

Parkrun of two halves, first half all uphill. They say in their blurb almost 100m. Second half is all downhill, very fast.

Lovely cafe in courtyard afterwards with nice views of city, ad you don't get to appreciate them during run.

muddypaws wrote:
    Would highly recommend it to anyone that gets the chance. Fully booked until March I believe.

How do you apply to go?

Just drop them an email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    How do you apply to go?

Just drop them an email?

Yes I think so, a friend sorted it out for me but we're hoping to do the other prison run soon and have been told to e-mail.

muddypaws wrote: »
    This morning I was privileged to do Progression parkrun in Mountjoy. One of, if not the, friendliest parkruns I've ever been to. Tough enough course, 7 and a half laps with a drag each time. I really missed having a dog to help.

I've got a slot in December. I emailed in May I think.

12th volunteer for me this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

My very first park run this morning! Managed 30 mins which I am happy with considering I have never run a 5k before! Hoping to keep at it and improve my time to below 27 before the year runs out :) it's a lovely atmosphere and very well run!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

opus wrote: »
    What do you want to know that isn't covered on the web page?

I'm going to be in Kerry for the long w/end so looking forward to seeing the new course in Killarney. Mind you there was nothing to complain about with the old course.

Maybe they'd like to hear what it's like to run from people who've experience the course before?

Killarney's move to the town centre seems to be paying dividends, huge numbers for the first three parkruns.

It's a brilliant parkrun. I found it hard with the 7.5 laps but thoroughly enjoyable. Going into the prison for tea and cake after with the prison parkrunners was surreal.

BeardySi wrote: »
    It's the nicer course ;)

I went for Queens in the end. Really nice but it was so tight at the beginning that I lost a good minute. I need to start fast! Mile two and three are always the same speed regardless of how I run mile one!

Really enjoyable. Really friendly volunteers as usual. Orangefield and Falls are on my to do list by the end of the year.

Yes I think so, a friend sorted it out for me but we're hoping to do the other prison run soon and have been told to e-mail.

Is that available to the public like Progrsssion?

Volunteered in Father Collins yesterday and made the stupidest of mistakes :/

Usually when I volunteer its time keeper or scanner but yesterday I was late pressed into my first marshaling role.

I was down the bottom of the last straight before the runner takes a left and almost an immediate left again onto the finish straight.

So I'm facing the poor unfortunate Belfast tourist, I held my right arm out directing him to his left (my right, this is where the confusion started).. I shouted 'right and right' (my own arm confused me).

He took the first turn on his left, but then turned right (my direction) instead of left and started to run out of the park until I ran after him shouting ''COME BACK, TURN AROUND IT WAS LEFT, LEFT, SORRY FVCKING LEFT'' lol

Need to marshal more

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement