Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I ran after him shouting ''COME BACK, TURN AROUND IT WAS LEFT, LEFT, SORRY FVCKING LEFT''

That's good marshalling, there. You got him back on track before he disappeared in to the distance.

There are quick successive turns, even if you had got your directions perfect the runner might have got confused. Give me a marshal who can act quickly to deal with issues any day.

Not even joking, hope you try marshalling again soon to get yesterday out of your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Does volunteering on a junior parkrun not count as volunteering as such on the parkrun website? I'm just wondering as mine hasn't showed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Does volunteering on a junior parkrun not count as volunteering as such on the parkrun website? I'm just wondering as mine hasn't showed up.

It should count to your overall total.

It has for me I think.

Maybe they are late adding you. Did you get email/text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Is that available to the public like Progrsssion?

Yes, a small number of members of the public each week. We were told that it's very tough, hill after hill after hill.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It should count to your overall total.

It has for me I think.

Maybe they are late adding you. Did you get email/text.

The only one I have was the reminder to turn up to volunteer. Maybe it'll go on later. I was just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Yes it counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Yes, it counts towards your volunteer total. Make sure the RD or volunteer coordinator has your name and parkrun ID number so they can update the records if it doesn’t show up later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Skid X wrote: »

Not even joking, hope you try marshalling again soon to get yesterday out of your system.

Yea I'll have to purge that one lol

Knowing the usual crowd of volunteers in Father Collins it'll take me a while to live this one down lol

We've a great bunch of regular volunteers, the banter is brilliant and God love someone who makes a mistake :o

Time keeper on the 10th, fingers crossed :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Volunteered in Father Collins yesterday and made the stupidest of mistakes :/

Usually when I volunteer its time keeper or scanner but yesterday I was late pressed into my first marshaling role.

I was down the bottom of the last straight before the runner takes a left and almost an immediate left again onto the finish straight.

So I'm facing the poor unfortunate Belfast tourist, I held my right arm out directing him to his left (my right, this is where the confusion started).. I shouted 'right and right' (my own arm confused me).

He took the first turn on his left, but then turned right (my direction) instead of left and started to run out of the park until I ran after him shouting ''COME BACK, TURN AROUND IT WAS LEFT, LEFT, SORRY FVCKING LEFT'' lol

Need to marshal more

These things happen I wouldn't worry about it. That's a strange spot to do I have done it a few times, as at a certain point in the run it can be hard to tell who is on there first or second lap. Normally for the first good few people say under 24/25 min its easy to spot, but there is a time were its not so clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I went for Queens in the end. Really nice but it was so tight at the beginning that I lost a good minute. I need to start fast! Mile two and three are always the same speed regardless of how I run mile one!

Really enjoyable. Really friendly volunteers as usual. Orangefield and Falls are on my to do list by the end of the year.

Let me know when you do. We did have visitors from Dublin, wondered ws it yourself.

BeardySi wrote: »
    Let me know when you do. We did have visitors from Dublin, wondered ws it yourself.

Will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    I'm going to be in Kerry for the long w/end so looking forward to seeing the new course in Killarney. Mind you there was nothing to complain about with the old course.

Wow what a lovely course for the new Killarney parkrun! Pretty fast as well I'd say if you were chasing a time.

487327.jpg

The finishing straight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    New Ross parkrun for me this weekend for a spot of tourism

So New Ross review.

The first km was my fastest ever. It was at this point I started to worry. Major drag in kms 2,3& half of 4 by which time I was goosed and welcomed the downhill section again. Further drag to finish.

The run is in the JFK arboretum which is well worth a visit. We were still there at 12.

I never realised the old Killarney run was being replaced. I'm disgusted I never got a chance to do it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I never realised the old Killarney run was being replaced. I'm disgusted I never got a chance to do it now.
    The old course is still there. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

I went to Knockanacree Parkrun (near Cloughjordan) a couple of weeks ago, and it would definitely be my favourite so far. Very friendly team running it, and the course itself is amazing, you're literally running in the middle of the woods!

It's insanely hilly though, my Garmin mesured 88 metres of a climb over the 5k, so not a place to go if you're looking to smash your PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

parkrun cancelled loads of places in England. Check not the same at your local run before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Good jib! wrote: »
    I went to Knockanacree Parkrun (near Cloughjordan) a couple of weeks ago, and it would definitely be my favourite so far. Very friendly team running it, and the course itself is amazing, you're literally running in the middle of the woods!

It's insanely hilly though, my Garmin mesured 88 metres of a climb over the 5k, so not a place to go if you're looking to smash your PB!

Cracking parkrun alright. Feels like you are lost in the forest a bit. You just have to trust you are going the right way by following the paths and then a marshal appears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Decided to tourist over to River Valley Swords this morning in the rain. I loved the course, there's one hill that you have to do twice, but it's not bad at all and once it's done, you can step it out because the finish line is not too far.
    It set me up nicely for Rock n Roll 10k in the morning.
    River Valley will be put on my regular to do list.
    Very friendly people too, offering lots of support with a burko of hot tea or a cup of water at the finish. Nice touch.
    Well done River Valley crew!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

G Shock wrote: »
    there's one hill that you have to do twice, but it's not bad at all

I still up in a cold sweat thinking about that hill.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Corkagh's 100th next week, there'll be a bit of a party.

The course is being run in reverse for the first time. Will make for a really fast finish with the 3rd mile being pretty much all downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Lazare wrote: »
    Corkagh's 100th next week, there'll be a bit of a party.

The course is being run in reverse for the first time. Will make for a really fast finish with the 3rd mile being pretty much all downhill.

First time running Corkagh yesterday. Super parkrun. Loved the route and such a lovely park. Didn't have a great run myself, the wind didn't help !! I'll deffo be back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

Corkagh park next week it is then...

AlFoley wrote: »
    First time running Corkagh yesterday. Super parkrun. Loved the route and such a lovely park. Didn't have a great run myself, the wind didn't help !! I'll deffo be back .

Was pacing yesterday. My first go at 22:30, was apprehensive about it beforehand, worried I wouldn't be able to shout encouragement. It worked out great though, got a guy over the line. He was 50m or so behind me at 4k after staying with me up to that. Roared at him to catch up and he did, got him to kick for home with about 200 to go and he came in 22:17.

Big hugs afterwards. New friend made. Another guy came up to thank me, said he was using me to get a sub 23.

Pacing is so rewarding. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

G Shock wrote: »
    Decided to tourist over to River Valley Swords this morning in the rain. I loved the course, there's one hill that you have to do twice, but it's not bad at all and once it's done, you can step it out because the finish line is not too far.
    It set me up nicely for Rock n Roll 10k in the morning.
    River Valley will be put on my regular to do list.
    Very friendly people too, offering lots of support with a burko of hot tea or a cup of water at the finish. Nice touch.
    Well done River Valley crew!

Ah shucks thanks, we do our best.
    Well done you on getting out in that rain. Bloody horrible. Make sure to check out the run report on the Facebook page as ya probably got a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We did Newborough Forest at the weekend. I managed to get 40kg of buggy and toddlers up a sand dune. *flexes*

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The old course is still there. :pac:

Ah I know but I'm trying to get them all done. This is one I will never get done, officially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Big Bad Wolf

Looking forward to giving Corkagh a good effort this morning for their Parkrun #100.

Looking forward to giving Corkagh a good effort this morning for their Parkrun #100.

Me too.

Man flu seems to be gone.

Nice sleep.

Woke to blue skies.

Can't wait.

Really enjoyable morning there. 326 for a new record turnout.

Was my 100th too.

Reverse course made the 3rd km tough, hill took a bite but the fast finish was incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Not sure if mentioned but new parkrun in Virginia cavan (still have working ATM :) ) starting in early Sept. Course is in the Deer Park Forest which is a lovely spot for a run. Parking at the rugby club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Big Bad Wolf

Really enjoyable morning there. 326 for a new record turnout.

Was my 100th too.

Reverse course made the 3rd km tough, hill took a bite but the fast finish was incredible.

That was a lovely run, with delicious tea + cake at the finish. Glad they got such a good turn out. I got a new PB to top it off. Great start to the weekend!

E2a: Congratulations on your century run Lazare. Wow!

Few visitors from Nottingham to windy Wexford Racecourse today.

Father doing his 300th parkrun, son doing his 262th. The son is only 9!!

That is just crazy. Great dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Do junior and regular parkruns get counted together towards your parkrun total? So, in theory, if an under—14 were to do both parkruns each week they could earn their 100 t-shirt within 12 months.
    Would that be correct or are the junior and regular parkruns treated differently in terms of total number of runs?
    Just curious, honestly :pac:

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Do junior and regular parkruns get counted together towards your parkrun total? So, in theory, if an under—14 were to do both parkruns each week they could earn their 100 t-shirt within 12 months.
    Would that be correct or are the junior and regular parkruns treated differently in terms of total number of runs?
    Just curious, honestly :pac:

They are treated & counted seperately.

That was a lovely run, with delicious tea + cake at the finish. Glad they got such a good turn out. I got a new PB to top it off. Great start to the weekend!

E2a: Congratulations on your century run Lazare. Wow!

Ah cheers, had a really fantastic morn

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Was pacing yesterday. My first go at 22:30, was apprehensive about it beforehand, worried I wouldn't be able to shout encouragement. It worked out great though, got a guy over the line. He was 50m or so behind me at 4k after staying with me up to that. Roared at him to catch up and he did, got him to kick for home with about 200 to go and he came in 22:17.

Big hugs afterwards. New friend made. Another guy came up to thank me, said he was using me to get a sub 23.

Pacing is so rewarding. Love it.

good man, fair play.

Pacers are great but often the pacing can be more for comedy value at my parkrun! I've seen the 23 minute pacer finish before the 22 minute. And recently I finished in 23.00 but the 23 pacer was so far ahead of me I couldn't even see him! :eek:

pc11 wrote: »
    Pacers are great but often the pacing can be more for comedy value at my parkrun! I've seen the 23 minute pacer finish before the 22 minute. And recently I finished in 23.00 but the 23 pacer was so far ahead of me I couldn't even see him! :eek:

You run St Anne's right? 23 min pacer most recently finished on 22:58. Previous month was 22:54. Seems like good pacing times to me.

• Advertisement

You run St Anne's right? 23 min pacer most recently finished on 22:58. Previous month was 22:54. Seems like good pacing times to me.
    most likely started really far apart, 23 up near the front and 22 back in the crowd

ISOP wrote: »
    most likely started really far apart, 23 up near the front and 22 back in the crowd

I would say it is more likely that the 22 min pacer had a problem and had to slow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Gorey of the Five Gentle Inclines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Looked at my times on parkrun, 2018 PB was 24:30 and yesterday just set 2019 PB of 20:59!! A whole 32 seconds under last month and another 30 seconds on June time!. Delighted to see my pace improving. I will settle at that till next year and become a tourist (even though 20:59 was not set in my local!).

My mistake, I ran 22.00. It's the 22.00 pacer I meant.

I'm a bit amused you track the pacers so carefully!

I would say it is more likely that the 22 min pacer had a problem and had to slow up

Not the time I saw, the 23 guy went off like mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's a very good reason to not do consecutive minutes with pacers, most events I see have odd minutes one month and evens the next.

Slip ups become less obvious doing it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

All this pacer talk is whetting my appetite to start looking at PB's again but on medical advice I've to stick to 60% heart rate for the next two months.

Basically about 7 weeks ago I got really bad palpitations on a Parkrun, then the next I knew I was talking to a girl who was advising me to walk back to the start (but I don't remember having to stop, but I was on the grass verge).

I continued running but felt awful, and a friend I run with went shooting past me at about 3km. We joke about it that she knew I was having a terrible run when this happened (and she hasn't stopped mocking me either lol).

Long story short, I went to the doctor the next day because on reflection I knew something had happened.

I got an ECG, that was grand but then I had to wear a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and that showed stage III hypertension. I wore it three more times and stage III every time.

So I'm on medication to reduce it and have been told its very important I stay running but until my next visit and tests I'm at 60% max HR.

All that said I'm having fun, and some satisfaction in pacing some slower runners to their own PB's (not in an official pacer role).

Now that I see the satisfaction in pacing I think I'll try an official pacer volunteer role when all this is over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

First ever sub 20 thanks in part to the 20 minute pacer at Malahide today. Came in at 19:44.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Made a return to Lees Road this morning. Wasn't certain until arrival and the quality of the swings had been established by the buggy pilot if I was going to be pushing or running buggy free whilst they hung out with the in laws. Turned out I got to run solo, and had a great run, two young whippersnappers disappeared off into the distance never to be seen again shortly after the start. Seemed to be nicer trail surface than last time and without the buggy I managed to run over 2 minutes quicker.

Curiously I was given token 4 on crossing the line, but then on getting scanned they said I was actually first. The two young lads had crossed the line a lap early after 10 minutes, and someone else also missed a lap. The two lads did go back out and do their missing lap and came in significantly slower paced.

Nice breakfast and coffee then back in Ennis. Nice morning hanging out with parkrunners and family.

robinph wrote: »
    Made a return to Lees Road this morning. Wasn't certain until arrival and the quality of the swings had been established by the buggy pilot if I was going to be pushing or running buggy free whilst they hung out with the in laws. Turned out I got to run solo, and had a great run, two young whippersnappers disappeared off into the distance never to be seen again shortly after the start. Seemed to be nicer trail surface than last time and without the buggy I managed to run over 2 minutes quicker.

Curiously I was given token 4 on crossing the line, but then on getting scanned they said I was actually first. The two young lads had crossed the line a lap early after 10 minutes, and someone else also missed a lap. The two lads did go back out and do their missing lap and came in significantly slower paced.

Nice breakfast and coffee then back in Ennis. Nice morning hanging out with parkrunners and family.
    Great running! I was a few minutes behind and was wondering why I was bumped up a few positions in the official placings!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement