Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I'll be in Doolin next weekend, if anyone has any info on Coole, Lees Road or Vanderleer parkruns, I'd be interested to hear which one might be the best option.

All 3 are lovely forest runs. Vandeleur is a 1 lapper, Coole 2 laps and Lees Road has 3 laps. I'd say they're all relatively flat (maybe Lees Road the hilliest) and have similar forest trail / gravelly surfaces. So you'd probably get roughly the same time on all 3. Coole and Vandaleur have nice on site cafes. Coole has a lovely historic park to explore (Yeats lived there for a while), while Vandaleur has an interesting and pretty walled garden. Lee's Road is on the outskirts of Ennis, which has some nice streets (and De Valera's Dodge car at the library!).

So they all have their merits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

eoinín wrote: »
    All 3 are lovely forest runs. Vandeleur is a 1 lapper, Coole 2 laps and Lees Road has 3 laps. I'd say they're all relatively flat (maybe Lees Road the hilliest) and have similar forest trail / gravelly surfaces. So you'd probably get roughly the same time on all 3. Coole and Vandaleur have nice on site cafes. Coole has a lovely historic park to explore (Yeats lived there for a while), while Vandaleur has an interesting and pretty walled garden. Lee's Road is on the outskirts of Ennis, which has some nice streets (and De Valera's Dodge car at the library!).

So they all have their merits!

That hasn't helped in my decision making at all :D. Thanks eoinín, they do all sound lovely. I guess the drive time might be the deciding factor as Coole and Vandaleur are an hour(ish) from Doolin, while Lees road is only 40 mins. If it's just as lovely as the other two sound, it might be the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Quick question.
    Can you only get a registered PB at your home event?
    I've had a few best times lately at different locations but they haven't come up as official PBs on the results pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Quick question.
    I've had a few best times lately at different locations but they haven't come up as official PBs on the results pages.

They come up as "First timer" I assume your PBs time were running in a new location only ones?. Each parkrun holds your PB for that specific course. I used the parkrun add-in on google chrome to track my fastest times for each different location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Quick question.

You have a separate PB for each event. If it was your first time at an event, you wont be shown as getting a PB despite it effectively being a PB.

• Advertisement

That makes sense. Yes they've been first time runs at these locations. I've been enjoying some tourism going around to the different Dublin anniversaries lately.
    Thanks for the answer guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

I'll be in Doolin next weekend, if anyone has any info on Coole, Lees Road or Vanderleer parkruns, I'd be interested to hear which one might be the best option.

Lees Road is probably easiest from a pov of getting there. Its on the way into ennis. Thropugh the big roundabout hang next left though a junction and the gate is 100m to your left. We start at the top of the astro turf. Follow all the kids to the pitch and keep going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Anyone else have trouble collecting a milestone T-shirt? I can log in to the Irish site fine, the Tees are collected via the international site, which won't accept my login details.
    Weird, as I collected my 50 shirt OK.

Edit; never mind - just reset password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

Ran the Progression Parkrun in Mountjoy Prison this morning, Very well organised by the prison staff, prisoners & volunteers. 7.5 laps of the prison interior grounds. Tea, coffee, biscuits & cakes afterwards in the training unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Did my first ever non home parkrun this morning in Mount Lucas, Co Offaly. Small field of 34 but enjoyed the new surroundings and did my fastest time for a long time. Interesting being so close to the huge wind turbines. The course passes 6 or 7 of them. Friendly crew. Orange slices and cake at the finish line!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Did my first ever non home parkrun this morning in Mount Lucas, Co Offaly. Small field of 34 but enjoyed the new surroundings and did my fastest time for a long time. Interesting being so close to the huge wind turbines. The course passes 6 or 7 of them. Friendly crew. Orange slices and cake at the finish line!

For wind turbines you should try Father Collins Park, I've seen people getting a crew cut haircut from them lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

It's probably been mentioned already but I missed it. I had heard it mentioned that Virginia in Cavan was setting up a Parkrun, did that ever happen? It's only 10 minutes from me so that would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

RonanP77 wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned already but I missed it. I had heard it mentioned that Virginia in Cavan was setting up a Parkrun, did that ever happen? It's only 10 minutes from me so that would be perfect.

Yes, it's been up and running for a while now. It's called Deer Park, rather than Virginia, very frustrating for alphabet chasers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yes, it's been up and running for a while now. It's called Deer Park, rather than Virginia, very frustrating for alphabet chasers ;)
    Just be careful, that strangely enough there are two parkruns in that area with "deerpark" in their name - Virgina and Carlanstown.

No potential for confusion there at all :eek:

Looking forward to my first run out at Poppintree this Saturday. It's their 5th anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

RunnerDub wrote: »
    Ran the Progression Parkrun in Mountjoy Prison this morning, Very well organised by the prison staff, prisoners & volunteers. 7.5 laps of the prison interior grounds. Tea, coffee, biscuits & cakes afterwards in the training unit.

Can I ask how you got to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Doing my first one in Corkagh Park Saturday. What time do you need to be there for if the race starts at 9.30??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Doing my first one in Corkagh Park Saturday. What time do you need to be there for if the race starts at 9.30??

Usual first timer chat is at about 9:15am. Won't hurt to be there even earlier to get a feel for parkrun. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

9.29 ha ha.

It's not really a race, but show up anytime around 9.20 should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Looking forward to my first run out at Poppintree this Saturday. It's their 4th anniversary.

I might head over that way myself.

Its a nice parkrun. Its 2 1/2 laps of the park, and a very nice park it is too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

First time getting to be a parkrun tourist. Heading down to cork for a stag for the weekend and if the hangover allows I'll be giving one a go.
    I see theres 2 or 3 though, is there any one that ye would reccomend over the others??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

kkhornet wrote: »
    First time getting to be a parkrun tourist. Heading down to cork for a stag for the weekend and if the hangover allows I'll be giving one a go.
    I see theres 2 or 3 though, is there any one that ye would reccomend over the others??

what part of Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

eoinín wrote: »
    what part of Cork?

Staying in the metropole hotel in the city centre.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Can I ask how you got to do it?

Email them and ask: progression@parkrun.com

It's an unusual one to do but running around in circles in a prison doesn't sound like any fun to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I did Ballincollig last weekend. Nice flat route, friendly team, lots of parking (in Lidl nearby) would definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Staying in the metropole hotel in the city centre.

Glen River parkrun is your best bet, it's ~2k from the Metropole so a nice warm up! I'll be there myself this Sat as it happens.

The Metropole Hotel Cork to Glen River parkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TiptoeMushroom

Hi, recently moved to Roundwood and two nearest Parkruns are Avondale or Shanganagh.

Will have baby with me tomorrow so thinking of a buggy run.
    Trail route in Avondale so I’m left with Shanganagh.

Looks buggy friendly.... can anyone confirm please?

Many thanks !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Definitely buggy friendly.

Hi, recently moved to Roundwood and two nearest Parkruns are Avondale or Shanganagh.

Many thanks !
    You aren't to far from Gorey either. Challenging course but fully on tarmac and buggy friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

Many thanks !

Never done Shanganagh but I did Avondale with my son in OUtnbout Nipper Sport. Was grand. Would recommend Gorey certainly for tarmac paths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Email them and ask: progression@parkrun.com

It's an unusual one to do but running around in circles in a prison doesn't sound like any fun to me...

Great atmosphere and definitely fun

Been running since late July and today was the first day iv ran in a group environment. Really enjoyed the experience and looking forward to next Saturday already.
    Goal next week is to run at slower pace as today I went off a bit too quick, obviously the whole event got the better of me 😂

Oh and a special thank you to all the volunteers. Brilliant setup by everyone involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Usually in the Athletic forum it's how are the legs... How's the head this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Did St Anne’s parkrun today.

It’s a magnificent park, highly recommend anyone to do it.

• Advertisement

Brilliant atmosphere in Poppintree this morning.
    I didn't lose any weight because of all the birthday celebrations afterwards, lots of cake & sweet treats. Well done to all the volunteers, you put on a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

50th parkrun in Marlay this morning. My eldest has caught the bug but for volunteering, she was barcode scanner.
    The run itself didn't go very well, felt great for 2 miles and then out of nowhere I puked the last KM home, not sure if its a bug or related to the ongoing Thyroid saga, still a good day.

For those of you with mini parkrunners, Arklow Duck Pond Juniors (love that name) starts up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

A bit early maybe, but is there a list of Parkruns that will be going ahead on Christmas Day and/or New Year's Day?

Google or the Parkrun site didn't turn anything up.

Good jib! wrote: »
    A bit early maybe, but is there a list of Parkruns that will be going ahead on Christmas Day and/or New Year's Day?

Google or the Parkrun site didn't turn anything up.

Here you are: https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

py wrote: »

Surprised to see so many announced this early, fair play.

The double NYD runs in Ballincollig and Glen River already confirmed for anyone in Cork.

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Due to the time of the year, I'd imagine they need to see if they've got their core team around and if there's interest to host events on what would typically be family days. Fair play to all volunteers who get out to help out on Christmas and New Years Days for parkrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

corcaigh07 wrote: »

The double NYD runs in Ballincollig and Glen River already confirmed for anyone in Cork.

There aren't two up for a New Year's Day double in Dublin..I think itll be Longford to Mullingar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

There aren't two up for a New Year's Day double in Dublin..I think itll be Longford to Mullingar!

There will be, just not announced yet. I’d say you’ll get Bushy Park/Tymon and St Anne’s/Father Collins for NYD (if I remember correctly) with potential for others to team up for the double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

So far, Brickfields, Tymon and Poolbeg are the Dublin parkruns that have said yes to staging NYD events.

Kilcock is also within easyish range of any West Dublin parkruns that declare - no doubt some choices will become available nearer the time. This year and last, we (Porterstown) doubled up with our nearest neighbours Hartstown - not sure yet whether that will be happening in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Glen River parkrun's first birthday is coming up on Nov 23rd, there's rumour of cake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

From a South Dublin perspective, looks like Griffeen is the only one (so far) to have declared for 0930 on New years day, then plenty of options for 11 - Brickfields, Corkagh, Tymon, Poolbeg at a push.

Haven't done a double day yet, was all set last year until needing a shoulder op on 23rd Dec!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure what happened in St Anne's today but the average time was way faster than normal. I dropped around 100 spots on previous week with a similar time. Also 600+.

Marathon training pay off maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not sure what happened in St Anne's today but the average time was way faster than normal. I dropped around 100 spots on previous week with a similar time. Also 600+.

Last week I ran 22:30 ish. Places 54th.

Today 23:30 ish placed 196.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭browne_rob5

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Yeah anyone training for the marathon wouldn't have raced a parkrun for 16 weeks. Probably took last week off for a rest and used their marathon fitness for a parkrun pb today. That's what I did anyway but not in St Annes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement