Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

First finisher in Corkagh this morning was a 12 year old kid. 19:33. Pb is 18:40.

His 11 year old brother wasn't far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

So far, Brickfields, Tymon and Poolbeg are the Dublin parkruns that have said yes to staging NYD events.

Kilcock is also within easyish range of any West Dublin parkruns that declare - no doubt some choices will become available nearer the time. This year and last, we (Porterstown) doubled up with our nearest neighbours Hartstown - not sure yet whether that will be happening in 2020.

Cabinteely are also doing 9am on NYD, apologies but due to technical difficulties we haven't officially declared yet but we are definitely running in conjunction with Poolbeg :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hartstown and Porterstown offering a NYD double at 9:30/11:00 respectively. Of course, we will accept those travelling from other parkruns too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Hartstown and Porterstown offering a NYD double at 9:30/11:00 respectively. Of course, we will accept those travelling from other parkruns too :pac:

We did the Southside / Northside double of Griffeen / Porterstown a couple of years ago. The drive in between was quite the adventure - I felt completely out in the country despite the drive being a very short distance between one heavily built up suburb and another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    Not sure what happened in St Anne's today but the average time was way faster than normal. I dropped around 100 spots on previous week with a similar time. Also 600+.

Yeah anyone training for the marathon wouldn't have raced a parkrun for 16 weeks. Probably took last week off for a rest and used their marathon fitness for a parkrun pb today. That's what I did anyway but not in St Annes.

Are any Southside Dublin parkruns on Christmas Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    First finisher in Corkagh this morning was a 12 year old kid. 19:33. Pb is 18:40.

Was his surname Ingebretzen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Was his surname Ingebretzen?
    Not going by the results...
    https://www.parkrun.ie/corkagh/results/latestresults/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

7th birthday for Malahide this morning. Undoubtedly, a proud day for those at the helm since day one, some nice words said and the ED torch was passed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

7th birthday for Malahide this morning. Undoubtedly, a proud day for those at the helm since day one, some nice words said and the ED torch was passed on.

Having been away from running for the last month due to both a chest and sinus infections, plus two courses of antibiotics I feel I've been out of the loop for a bit. But had I known that i'd have went up..

Ran my 49th in Father Collins this morning so hitting the big FIVE OH next week.

Due to my recent infections I'm super slow paced ATM but hoping for good legs next Saturday, but I'm way off a PB for my 50th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Dudda wrote: »
    Usually in the Athletic forum it's how are the legs... How's the head this morning?

Bit of a delayed response but I'm only coming right now after last weekend. The head wasnt to bad till I tried to move and decided that it was gonna be a no....no running, I wouldn't have even walked it 😂.

Thanks to those that gave recommendations though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Any parkruns around Waterford City on Christmas day? Heading that direction for the sillie season and want to tick another chrome parkrun add in off my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

sonyvision wrote: »
    Any parkruns around Waterford City on Christmas day? Heading that direction for the sillie season and want to tick another chrome parkrun add in off my list.

Clonmel at 0930.

https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

The nearest Parkrun to Jury's Inn Belfast? Ormeau is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭onrail

Sussex18 wrote: »
    The nearest Parkrun to Jury's Inn Belfast? Ormeau is it?

Yep Ormeau Parkrun is your best bet - middle of the road difficulty-wise and lovely on a clear morning.

Victoria Park is a bit further out, but a PB course if that's what you're looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

http://tailrun.uk/nyd/2020/ie/

Handy little tool to help you find the various new years day double potentials!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Off for some cake at Hartstown this Saturday. Celebrating their 5th Anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Parkrun #200 in Tramore this Saturday. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm considering going up to Belfast for a New Years Day double. Ormeau and Stormont are on and close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

We'll have our first member of the 250 club in Westport today. All excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

We'll have our first member of the 250 club in Westport today. All excited!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ran my 50th at Father Collins this morning, and had an absolute ball with my 50th balloon and great support from everyone

495444.jpg

Of course I was made run with a pink balloon, I'd great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did Gorey this morning and a very nice crew of volunteers and a very nice welcome but that hill! Doing it 5 times is really tough especially the last two times. The laps isn't that bad but the thought of the hill is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

chinguetti wrote: »
    Did Gorey this morning and a very nice crew of volunteers and a very nice welcome but that hill! Doing it 5 times is really tough especially the last two times. The laps isn't that bad but the thought of the hill is!

It'll have you as fit as a fiddle!!!!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It'll have you as fit as a fiddle!!!!

I agree, if you did Gorey parkrun for 10 weeks, you'd be super fit after it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Course record obliterated in Malahide: 14:19 (previously 14:57).

That'll stand for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

chinguetti wrote: »
    Sorry to correct you, but it is a "gentle incline" . We don"t refer to it as a hill 🤣🤣🤣. It is only refered to as a hill when the ED is running it.

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit though.

Duzzie wrote: »
    Sorry to correct you, but it is a "gentle incline" . We don"t refer to it as a hill 🤣🤣🤣. It is only refered to as a hill when the ED is running it.

Delighted that you enjoyed your visit though.

The first two times I was sure it was a 'gentle incline' but halfway up the third ascent, I upgraded it to hill :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Course record obliterated in Malahide: 14:19 (previously 14:57).

That'll stand for a while!

Also an impressive run by the Junior in second place finishing in 15:07.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'm considering going up to Belfast for a New Years Day double. Ormeau and Stormont are on and close.
    I ran Ormeau on New Years Day this year. Huge numbers there. Think it was around 500-600. Nice course but tight at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Poppintree was a sh1tshow today.

One person sent flying by a dog not kept on a lead at the start coupled with someone else with a buggy trying to cut in from the side at the start.

Has me considering staying away in future. It's too dangerous now. People not listening to the run director and thinking they can do as they like.

People with buggys and dogs need to be made start at the back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I tended to start at the back during the period when I was buggy running but in general I have never come across too many issues with them or dog park runners. You do get a few issues with the entitled other park users who let their dogs run free despite 500 people running by them and the guys who will walk against the tide rather than stand aside for 2 minutes but I just log that under arseholes being arseholes.
    Just remember a fast buggy runner starting at the back is not ideal for the people around them. Better to start roughly is your finishing position.
    Haven't been to Popintree in a while. Must revisit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just remember a fast buggy runner starting at the back is not ideal for the people around them. Better to start roughly is your finishing position.

Agree with this.

The most dangerous part of being a buggy runner is overtaking, a 20 min buggy runner starting from the back has to pass almost the entire field.

I tended to start at the back during the period when I was buggy running but in general I have never come across too many issues with them or dog park runners. You do get a few issues with the entitled other park users who let their dogs run free despite 500 people running by them and the guys who will walk against the tide rather than stand aside for 2 minutes but I just log that under arseholes being arseholes.

The person with the buggy tried to cut into the field of runners from off the course. He never lined up properly. It's no different to a person walking against the tide. The buggy became an obstacle to avoid or else you were hitting the deck

The dog was off the lead of a person who attends regularly but generally doesn't bother with short lead, or a lead at all.

It's not the first time there has been issues with dogs at Poppintree and if the RD gets ignored then it's time to take decisive action. The chap yesterday is lucky he fell in the middle of the path and not close to the benches on the right hand side.

Other non parkrun users of the Park are mostly the same locals every week and they are brilliant.

Agree with this.

The most dangerous part of being a buggy runner is overtaking, a 20 min buggy runner starting from the back has to pass almost the entire field.

Then line up properly. Don't line up off course because you arrived last second and try and force your way into the line of people moving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Then line up properly. Don't line up off course because you arrived last second and try and force your way into the line of people moving

People are agreeing with you. It's up to the core team to address these issues head on our they'll persist until someone gets seriously injured. I would drop them an email outlining the ongoing issues that you're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Poppintree was a sh1tshow today.

One person sent flying by a dog not kept on a lead at the start coupled with someone else with a buggy trying to cut in from the side at the start.

Has me considering staying away in future. It's too dangerous now. People not listening to the run director and thinking they can do as they like.

Sounds like the lad with the buggy acted like a d!ck, no accounting for that, the fact he had a buggy obviously made it way more dangerous.

Your last line is way over the top, a one size fits all comment. A bit of cop on is what's needed. I see plenty of responsible buggy runners who start up near the front or middle of the pack who don't impact anyone else's run.
    I'll be back buggy running soon with Butterbeans Jnr. #2 and will start up near the front as I'd generally finish within the first 15 to 20 runners when running with buggy. To start at the back wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm a 21 min buggy runner, if I'm at the back I've a lot more heels to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm a 21 min buggy runner, if I'm at the back I've a lot more heels to avoid

Not sure what the answer is but in Malahide yesterday a couple of the buggy runners seemed dangerously close to the heels of those in front when trying to pass. Could be nasty if someone in front had to break their stride for any reason.

Maybe they should just call out “coming up on your left/right)” so people can make a bit of space for the wide load.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Maybe they should just call out “coming up on your left/right)” so people can make a bit of space for the wide load.

That or a bicycle bell, but the likelihood is that someone with big headphones on won't hear or pay attention to either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

py wrote: »
    People are agreeing with you. It's up to the core team to address these issues head on our they'll persist until someone gets seriously injured. I would drop them an email outlining the ongoing issues that you're seeing.

I agree. If I were an RD on a given week where the dog rule was ignored I would be having a word with the person. If happened a 2nd time, no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Coming up to Park run no 10 - really love it. do you get a t-shirt after 10th run? do organisers know its your tenth or do you have to let them know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Only if you are a junior does the 10th get recognised with a t-shirt.

Everyone can see you're on 9, will only know at results processing if it's your 10th.

Not sure what the answer is but in Malahide yesterday a couple of the buggy runners seemed dangerously close to the heels of those in front when trying to pass. Could be nasty if someone in front had to break their stride for any reason.

RD in Malahide mentioned buggies yesterday. There's maybe 4-5 of them regularly, some doubles as well. Tbf, I've never heard of an issue with them. I was going very slow yesterday as it was my first time putting on the shoes since DCM and was overtaken by a double without a problem. I've done timekeeping often enough there, but couldn't tell you their ballpark times off the top of my head. They do throw seem to throw in some effort into it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The screams of an excited 2 year old are better than any polite call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Or perhaps not bring the buggy to a 500 plus event.. But you're entitled to of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

McCrack wrote: »
    Or perhaps not bring the buggy to a 500 plus event.. But you're entitled to of course

So who should be allowed take part in these events? My understanding of parkrun is that it is all inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

It's not about restricting buggy or dogs at Parkruns. It's about not being an inconsiderate assh0le, that goes for everyone, not just those who bring a buggy or dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

So who should be allowed take part in these events? My understanding of parkrun is that it is all inclusive.

Your understanding is correct

Eh, we have about 10-15 buggy regulars at Stretford, which is usually 600+ runners and pancake flat. It's not exactly something outrageous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can't believe I missed a couple of paged of buggy talk. :)

As a buggy driver who has first finished at a couple of different courses when pushing I certainly can't agree with the start at the back idea. But it all depends on the course, the surface, the number of speedy other runners around, the number of sets of swings that you push past on the way.

At one local event a while back as I was lining up a newish RD tried to tell me that I'd be best starting from the back, which resulted in the rest of faster runners at the front who recognised me telling her that I was in the right place.

Knowing where to start at different courses does take some pre event reconisance to see where your escape routes are, where the first corner is so that you don't get squashed out of space, and you have to make a lot of noise pushing a buggy. All runners are very unaware of what is going on behind them and you have to shout at most people overtaking you as they suddenly forget the buggy they just overtook and cut in way too soon.

If you want to see a lot of buggies at an event then try a visit to Bushy the week before London Marathon. They all start over to the side with a bunch of dogs, but by the time the path narrows, other than it gets a bit crowded, everyone is in about the right space.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement