Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A clip of the St Anne's Parkrun has just been put up on their facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

pointer28 wrote: »
    Apparently so, rumours of one in Johnstown Castle as well.
    edisonolmy wrote: »
    I too had heard there would be more than one starting in Wexford this year

Kennedy Park seems the obvious choice, perfect course length for it. The big drawback with there is its about 5 miles outside the nearest town in quite a rural area. Having said that they should have all the facilities they need, except for during the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Looking forward to having a go at the Tralee version tomorrow morning. Going to do the volunteer training tonight and help out when I can. I like the look of the new volunteer tshirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Dub13 wrote: »
    A clip of the St Anne's Parkrun has just been put up on their facebook page.

I want to buy a garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

With 239 registered for Tralee for this week , looks like it going to be a busy first parkrun - wishing you all in Tralee a great day , hope to see you soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Kennedy Park seems the obvious choice, perfect course length for it. The big drawback with there is its about 5 miles outside the nearest town in quite a rural area. Having said that they should have all the facilities they need, except for during the winter.

The distance from town shouldn't be a problem. Plus there's loads of hard surface parking, toilets, kids playground, coffee shop in the summer. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Approx. 600 in Marley again this morning.
    If you are planning on doing Marley keep an eye on the facebook page. The start/finish area is changing to the other end of the park shortly so instead of using the Grange Rd. car park you are encouraged to use the College Rd car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

never heard of a parkrun until i saw this thread. i did the terenure 5 mile before which was so fun to be apart of. cannot afford to be shedding out 20 euro here and there though

where can i go to see time tables of parkruns? im in kimmage. i guess the only park that may do parkruns near me is bushy park. could cycle to marlay park at a stretch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

MarkY91 wrote: »
    never heard of a parkrun until i saw this thread. i did the terenure 5 mile before which was so fun to be apart of. cannot afford to be shedding out 20 euro here and there though

where can i go to see time tables of parkruns? im in kimmage. i guess the only park that may do parkruns near me is bushy park. could cycle to marlay park at a stretch

Marlay and Tymon the only two i the area.

9.30 start every Saturday

Details of course's available here:

http://parkrun.ie/events

ok so i checked some pages of this thread and came across parkrun.ie the closest to me is in tymon park, templeogue EVERY saturday.

ive to bring some printed barcode. i must go to it the coming saturday.

anyone know the average turn ups? 30? 50? 100?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

yankinlk wrote: »

really cool with the stats being recorded(ive no idea how theyre done lol)

this is something i could really look forward to every saturday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If you want a result online, than start by registering here:
    http://www.parkrun.ie/register/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No parkrun in Bushy Park, the nearest to you would be Tymon park (start area is up behind St Judes).
    Details of all the parkuns are at www.parkrun.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

really cool with the stats being recorded(ive no idea how theyre done lol)

this is something i could really look forward to every saturday!!

it's pretty simple. You only need your barcode at the end. When you cross the finish line the timer will record your time and another person will hand you a position token, which has another barcode on it.

You take your own barcode and the position token to get scanned. They then upload everyone's times and the results go online a few hours later.

Tymon is a decent course. I think the park doesn't open until 10 though so the week I went, I had to go over the bridge from the basketball arena

The inaugural Tralee event on Saturday was a great success. It was good to see people there from Bere Island and Galway. Decent flat enough course too so potential for some quick times.

Sligo next week.

The Clare Sports Partnership website says Ennis is starting on Feb 7. Anyone know if this is still the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tymon is open earlier than 10, but they ask runners to park at the basketball arena rather than beside the playgrounds to minimise the impact on other park users

Tymon is a decent course. I think the park doesn't open until 10 though so the week I went, I had to go over the bridge from the basketball arena

If coming from Kimmage there are a fair few pedestrian entrances to Tymon on the templeogue side. The handiest one is at the Back of Osprey Rd and there are a couple on Limekiln Rd too but you can also get in on foot if St Judes or Templeogue UTD are open

The Clare Sports Partnership website says Ennis is starting on Feb 7. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Can't say where I read it but I'm fairly sure March 7th was the date...

Edit: Apparently that was on this thread. All other info seems to suggest February 7th. Apologies

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    If coming from Kimmage there are a fair few pedestrian entrances to Tymon on the templeogue side. The handiest one is at the Back of Osprey Rd and there are a couple on Limekiln Rd too but you can also get in on foot if St Judes or Templeogue UTD are open

I'll be cycling. Could I lock my bike at the playground? I'll just go in by limekiln to be on the safe side

I'll be cycling. Could I lock my bike at the playground? I'll just go in by limekiln to be on the safe side

I am sure you can leave your bike up at the start/finish line. It's up by the bridge over to The basketball arena and there are fences/railings up there to lock it to (with volunteers around all the time).

yeah, often a bike or two left at finish area

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am sure you can leave your bike up at the start/finish line. It's up by the bridge over to The basketball arena and there are fences/railings up there to lock it to (with volunteers around all the time).

I seen a map of the course and the start and finish line were by the playground. I'll just look for the volunteers

I seen a map of the course and the start and finish line were by the playground. I'll just look for the volunteers

It's been changed since then to the top of the hill :)

we're like Tweedledum and Tweedledee here :pac:
    here's the new route

pac_man wrote: »
    When was that Tymon route changed? I'm not sure weather I ran on the new or old course or is there much of a difference?

Not a huge difference. The new course is probably slightly faster given you have a long downhill at the start. The old course had a steep downhill finish which was dangerous especially when it was slippy. The course was changed in November/December I think and the new course works much better so I don't see it going back to the old one...

I rang Clare Sports Partnership just there. It's confirmed as the 7th of March start date. Guess there must have been delays in setting it up. I admire your dedication, I ran Tralee Saturday but couldn't keep up with you!

For anyone interested in doing Tralee, its three full laps of the park, clockwise. One corner thats a little muddy at present. One little out and back section on each lap. Two other 90 degree turns. Other than that pretty flat apart from a very gentle rise half way around. And its perfectly measured... 5k on the button. Plenty of parking nearby and right in the middle of town. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement

JohnDozer wrote: »
    For anyone interested in doing Tralee, its three full laps of the park, clockwise. One corner thats a little muddy at present. One little out and back section on each lap. Two other 90 degree turns. Other than that pretty flat apart from a very gentle rise half way around. And its perfectly measured... 5k on the button. Plenty of parking nearby and right in the middle of town. Highly recommended.

We were saying afterwards, if you moved the start line back, you could remove that out and back section. It got a bit cluttered on the final lap at that point.

One of those sharp turns was at the bottom of a `hill' which stopped me from hammering down it each time.

It was a lovely course though. I measured it at 4.95 but I kind of cut the corner at the top of the park near the start of the final lap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement