Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I was run director today. After set up, I was walking across the sports grounds from the finish area back to the start. I spotted some black plastic on the ground and picked it up.
    It was my son’s parkrun wristband!. He wasn’t at parkrun this morning and didn’t even know it was missing. It’s broken and well trampled on. But the chances of me finding it in the middle of a pitch!

That's mad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jimmii wrote: »
    Ran Portobello today and got a great ego check half way through a woman in her 40s pushing a pram absolutely tore past me lol! I'm not fast but definitely don't expect people with prams to be going last me!

lol

Try a big run like Saint Anne's, one could be forgiven for thinking they're in a pram Grand Prix :D

I've been overtaken by twin's prams lol

I've no ego now :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The pram 'record' in St Anne's is well below 20 mins.

Went Garminless today which is actually very liberating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

lol

Try a big run like Saint Anne's, one could be forgiven for thinking they're in a pram Grand Prix :D

I've been overtaken by twin's prams lol

I've no ego now :o

The Edinbrigh one is like that too lots of prams there nice wide open run. There was 373 today but Portobello isn't great for prams as theres lots of narrow bits. There was also someone pushing someone in a wheelchair but I passed them pretty early on was like sweet double overtake noice.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

How did your pace work out? I ran for years without one but the idea of running now without knowing what pace I'm doing seems crazy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jimmii wrote: »
    How did your pace work out? I ran for years without one but the idea of running now without knowing what pace I'm doing seems crazy!

I lost the charger so had no choice really :)
    Went ok. I ended up being 30 seconds faster than I expected.

My times have been erratic since my injury but today was one of my better runs this year. My brother was in my sights for the second half of the run so maybe that is motivation enough (although I didn't catch the prick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Pawwed Rig wrote:

Usually I find when I run without a watch & just go on feeling, I do better than i think. There is less mental pressure ....

If you glance at watch - going too fast/slow thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Ran a tourist location in Tramore this morning. Very windy but managed sub 22 minutes which I was happy with. Really friendly people, I am not a fan of the 4th km the rougher carpark but I would do it again.

Following this I popped into Waterford nature parkrun (which was still ongoing) chatted to family member taken part then volunteered for token sorter.

I managed 1 parkrun and 1 volunteer credit at a different location. I wonder how the VHI app records this 😆

A sub twenty with a pram is unreal!.

A friend of mine came back after having a baby, ran with a pram and she came in at just over 23 minutes.

There are some seriously fast pram runners in St. Anne's, which btw is my favorite run. I love that 800m finish and the support at it.

Through one thing and another I haven't done a parkrun since January 25th, my volunteer roles will overtake my runs shortly [54 runs & 29 volunteer].

• Advertisement

A sub twenty with a pram is unreal!.

A friend of mine came back after having a baby, ran with a pram and she came in at just over 23 minutes.

There are some seriously fast pram runners in St. Anne's, which btw is my favorite run. I love that 800m finish and the support at it.

Through one thing and another I haven't done a parkrun since January 25th, my volunteer roles will overtake my runs shortly [54 runs & 29 volunteer].

Just over 23 is incredible! That's out of reach of most people at the best of times so to come back and run that with a pram is unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

...I ran 38 minutes with a pram yesterday. Admittedly I have 32kg of passengers on board at this stage!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

On the right course and by my calculations it's only about a 30 - 40 second deficit pushing the buggy. On the wrong course, and with an older passenger and I'm looking at more like 6-8 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ran Gorey yesterday. Tough course, with a long drag on each lap. Sean Hehir ran 16:30, and lapped me twice. I was also lapped by a buggy pilot on the drag. :o

Just seen Jo Pavey ran a 16:57 at Exmouth presumably part of training for a run at Tokyo. That's almost 95% age grading must be one of the best of the weekend you would think. It's great to see someone like her getting involved and taking it pretty seriously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I managed 18:5x a few years ago with the double buggy at St Anne's. Twins were around 2 years old the time. They're bigger and I'm slower Now :)

Plenty of dads and moms capable of beating that, I'd be interested to hear what the lowest at St Anne's and other Irish parkruns are, especially amongst the non elite runners...

Killerz wrote: »
    I managed 18:5x a few years ago with the double buggy at St Anne's. Twins were around 2 years old the time. They're bigger and I'm slower Now :)

Plenty of dads and moms capable of beating that, I'd be interested to hear what the lowest at St Anne's and other Irish parkruns are, especially amongst the non elite runners...

The same site does an Irish list too.

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/parkrun/10-fastest-parkrun-times-in-ireland-on-7th-march-2020/29289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

20:30 with double buggy at about 1 year. The twins were like personal cheerleaders the way around. Clapping and cheering me on from the buggy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    20:30 with double buggy at about 1 year. The twins were like personal cheerleaders the way around. Clapping and cheering me on from the buggy

Bet that was on a early Saturday fpl deadline right! Definitely shaves a few seconds off the time making sure you get home as early as possible! Maybe that's why its 9am in england lol!

Shedite27 wrote: »

Lucky you. I remember pushing my little boy around Fr Collins 3 or 4 years ago and he says 'why are you running so slow Daddy?'

• Advertisement

I'd be curious to know what times people have done at various courses, but the problem with knowing about such times is that people would then try to beat them and going down that path is dangerous. It's tricky enough trying to run fast with a buggy whilst anticipating what daft things the runners around you will do and which way that next pot hole is going to bounce you and if the person just overtaking you on the line is going to stop dead and you then have to slam on the brakes and drive your kid into the netting to avoid breaking the ankles of the person infront.

Start putting time targets out there and people will take their time chasing too far. I know what my times are for various courses but I'm not putting it down in writing for anyone elses viewing, not for my or my kids safety, but others.

I've managed to first finish with the buggy a few times, but I know of faster buggy runners just around my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Statement from parkrun re Coronavirus.

505199.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

no plans for any parkrun on patricks day is there?

mloc123 wrote: »
    no plans for any parkrun on patricks day is there?

Christmas Day is the designated extra day for Ireland parkruns.

robinph wrote: »

New years?

New years?

That is different as it is not a changeable option for each country to pick. Its a global double day.

Each country gets a single special day they can chose and every country also gets the option to allow doubles on NYD, but that can only be on NYD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

robinph wrote: »

Good to know. I actually thought it was down to the individual Parkrun to choose which extra day they use but I guess that would be a logistical challenge for parkrun Ireland as a whole to manage random days throughout the year.

If you've got a few spare quid lying around and a private jet then there are a good few extra parkrun days you can fit in each year:

https://www.parkrun.com/christmas-and-new-year/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Does this section not imply that parkruns will be closed this week?
    Our current overall strategic position is that where specifically recommended or required by health organisations, governments, or landowners, we will close events. This includes where our events may not quite reach the full criteria, such as where gatherings of over 1,000 people are banned; in this situation we will cancel all events in that region regardless of event size.

Given the guideline in Ireland is 500 people, and there are Parkruns that break that barrier regularly (St Anne's and Marlay). Or am I reading it wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

I'd say they'll all be cancelled in Ireland for a few weeks or so. Can't really cancel one event and then the crowd just go to the nearest other one.

I believe that country specific versions are coming shortly.

crisco10 wrote: »

Given the guideline in Ireland is 500 people, and there are Parkruns that break that barrier regularly (St Anne's and Marlay). Or am I reading it wrong?

Yes, I'd say they are just holding off possibly until tomorrow morning while countries positions are changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

crisco10 wrote: »
    That is certainly how it reads

Looking like everything will be cancelled based on that text.

Looking like everything will be cancelled based on that text.

Makes sense really. The spill over from St.Annes (for example) would bring other local parkrun run's close to or over the 500 pers limit.

I dunno I think it is a pity it is cancelled. You could easily do most parkruns I have done without clustering. A better solution (I think) would be get people to spread out a bit, stagger the start, maybe even dispense with timing for the short term. These events help public health rather than hinder it.

Anyway not my call so I'll be running around St Anne's on Saturday morning if anyone wants to join (from at least 3 metres away)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Seeing 'no event' on the rosters of pages for the next 3 weeks.

All events cancelled, think this appears on every webpage.

505371.jpg

• Advertisement

Confirmed on twitter and various other social media platforms, all Irish parkrun events are cancelled until the end of March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just got confirm from Matt Shields that all are cancelled up to end of March

Seems that everywhere apart from the UK is cancelled.

Edit: Well nearly everywhere :

*** UPDATE - 19.50 GMT Thursday 12 March 2020 ***

Cancelled up to the end of March:

Denmark
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Ireland
    Italy
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Poland
    Sweden
    USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I know parkrun is relatively autonomous, but if the powers that be have Cheltenham and Anfield packed to the rafters, parkrun is hardly in their sights.

They can't afford the bad publicity of being the event that ignores government advice in most of those countries where they are still trying to be noticed as a great thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Runners are a friendly bunch. Hugs, handshakes, and high fives before, during and after runs. Sweat and spit and snot-rockets all along the course. We might be healthy enough to deal with it, but the logic is in preventing the possible spread of germs to other folks we meet afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Actually, I thought there was a notable reduction in snot rockets, golliers, hacking and coughing last week in Bohermeen. Good to see a bit of consideration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Panic has won. Logic has lost.

If supermarkets, bars, restaurants, offices and public transport are open, then some small local runs are simply irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

pc11 wrote: »
    Panic has won. Logic has lost.

If supermarkets, bars, restaurants, offices and public transport are open, then some small local runs are simply irrelevant.

If your barcode scanning or handing out tokens youncould have direct contact with 100s of people who have been sweating, wiping their face etc. It's common sense and appropriate

People can still get out and run themselves.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If your barcode scanning or handing out tokens youncould have direct contact with 100s of people who have been sweating, wiping their face etc. It's common sense and appropriate

People can still get out and run themselves.

Doesn't take much to avoid that contact though. Pair of gloves for the token hander outer, scanners don't need to touch tokens, the runners then drop them in a bucket after scanning and the RD throws them in the sink when they get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

All park runs cancelled for March

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement