Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

I was gonna do Finsbury yesterday but went up the road to Grovelands instead. Wish i'd stuck to my original plan now!

Grovelands is really close to my brother's house but I've never tried it yet. I heard there were hills so avoided it. Oak Hill is pretty flat as is Pymmes. A friend ran Highbury Fields yesterday and said it was good fun - 5 laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Grovelands is really close to my brother's house but I've never tried it yet. I heard there were hills so avoided it. Oak Hill is pretty flat as is Pymmes. A friend ran Highbury Fields yesterday and said it was good fun - 5 laps.

The hills arent too bad at all, very slight. No worse than highbury to be honest.

Oak hill is next on my agenda!

Oak Hill is flat enough. A bit of a rise down the back straight towards the end of each lap. Pymmes is even flatter again, and has very low numbers. If you get the right day, you might even win it. I finished 4th when I ran there a couple of months ago.

I hope to tick off Highbury and Finsbury Park the next couple of times I visit my brother. Ally Pally is really near him too, but sounds very hilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Looks like Limerick city is getting it's first parkrun. The route is already picked as a UL loop and just looking for volunteers to marshal the course before it's fully confirmed. Should be starting up around mid May.

That's great news,I'll look forward to giving that a lash after the marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Oak Hill is flat enough. A bit of a rise down the back straight towards the end of each lap. Pymmes is even flatter again, and has very low numbers. If you get the right day, you might even win it. I finished 4th when I ran there a couple of months ago.

I hope to tick off Highbury and Finsbury Park the next couple of times I visit my brother. Ally Pally is really near him too, but sounds very hilly.

Ally Pally is my local one, although i've only done it twice. It's a lovely location, very scenic etc but yes the hills are pretty significant if you're looking for a fast time. If anything i find the downhills are tougher as they are so steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ally Pally is my local one, although i've only done it twice. It's a lovely location, very scenic etc but yes the hills are pretty significant if you're looking for a fast time. If anything i find the downhills are tougher as they are so steep.

Hampstead Heath is exactly the same - very pretty but incredibly hilly. The first time I did it I was in about 24:30 5k shape but couldn't break 27 on that one.

Any idea of the exact date when the Limerick one is starting up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Hampstead Heath is exactly the same - very pretty but incredibly hilly. The first time I did it I was in about 24:30 5k shape but couldn't break 27 on that one.

Any idea of the exact date when the Limerick one is starting up?

Not a clue yet. The date hasn't been confirmed.

According to UL, the course has been approved and they want to start in mid May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Managed a 19:37 on my second run in hartstown (overall pos 3). 1 minute quicker from my previous @ 20:41.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Managed a 19:37 on my second run in hartstown (overall pos 3). 1 minute quicker from my previous @ 20:41.

That's some improvement. How long between the two?

• Advertisement

New Ross course map up online
    http://www.parkrun.ie/newross/course/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

New Ross course map up online
    http://www.parkrun.ie/newross/course/
    I see on that page.
    Facilities

Ample parking playgrounds and toilets are available on site.
    Please note you may be charged admission if you can not show your personal barcode
    Genius! That solves the DFYB problem in a stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

That's some improvement. How long between the two?

A Week between the two. The first I did develop a massive cramp through it which never helps :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

That should be a lovely parkrun. The grounds of UL are great. Only issue might be some speed bumps.

As far as I know, there will be no road crossing's and most of the route will take in the riverbank and cycle lanes so no speedbumps. Meeting point will be at the boathouse so it will be at the quieter side of UL.

Really looking forward to this and great to finally get a parkrun in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

As far as I know, there will be no road crossing's and most of the route will take in the riverbank and cycle lanes so no speedbumps.

parkrun course dont cross traffic as it entails putting traffic management plans etc in place. Reason why lees road cant use the full loop of the XC track as it crosses the main entrance road.

Bere Island is the only course I know that is run almost entirely on roads. Not huge amounts of traffic mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bere Island is the only course I know that is run almost entirely on roads. Not huge amounts of traffic mind
    Only 210 people live on Bere Island and looking at the most recent set of results a good portion of the driving population would have been either running or volunteering :D.
    I am going to do that run one of these weekends

You should definitely go. Leave your car at the ferry terminal and go over as a foot passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭slingerz

is there any truth in a Killarney parkrun being setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any advice for someone considering giving park run a try for the first time? Im fairly fit but have never ran any sort of distance before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't forget your barcode, don't go off too quickly, and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Gael23 wrote: »
    Any advice for someone considering giving park run a try for the first time? Im fairly fit but have never ran any sort of distance before.

Just have fun! There's really nothing to worry about, even if you were in terrible shape there's a huge mix of abilities, anybody can take part and have a fun time. It can be as competitive or non-competitive as you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Slow and steady! Better to finish the run with the help of a slow jog than sprinting off at the start and ending up having to walk part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Isot10

Hello All,
    for anyone within travel distance of Westport Parkrun , we are having Sonia O'Sullivan and John Treacy joining us for the run this Saturday morning , if you can make it you are most welcome. We are hoping for a big crowd.

Just have fun! There's really nothing to worry about, even if you were in terrible shape there's a huge mix of abilities, anybody can take part and have a fun time. It can be as competitive or non-competitive as you want.

May do sometime.
    A friend of mine is trying to set one up in Dundalk also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hodgkin

Killarney hopefully starting in June. Tralee up and running since January. Keep an eye on the parkrun website and Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done to everyone doing parkrun this morning, conditions were not the best! Had the pleasure of volunteering at St. Anne's and it looked tough out there... I was doing barcode scanning and almost every single runner made a point of saying thanks to the volunteers... I really appreciate people doing that. It's a small gesture but sums up the spirit of parkrun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I wonder did you scan me?? If so, I really hope I said thanks -- i was still pretty out of breath. I definitely thanked a few other volunteers -- I'd say it was no fun in that rain. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay dry in a park -- i thought i was being clever bringing dry clothes in a plastic bag for after. They stayed dry for about a second after i took them out and tried to pull them on over my wet body under the trees :).

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I wonder did you scan me?? If so, I really hope I said thanks -- i was still pretty out of breath. I definitely thanked a few other volunteers -- I'd say it was no fun in that rain. It's IMPOSSIBLE to stay dry in a park -- i thought i was being clever bringing dry clothes in a plastic bag for after. They stayed dry for about a second after i took them out and tried to pull them on over my wet body under the trees :).

No I didn't scan you... I spotted you in the distance as you were heading off, recognised you from a parkrun photo I think! Next time I hope to get a chance to say hello!

I didn't realise how cold and wet I was until I got home :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

annapr wrote: »
    No I didn't scan you... I spotted you in the distance as you were heading off, recognised you from a parkrun photo I think! Next time I hope to get a chance to say hello!

I didn't realise how cold and wet I was until I got home :)

Well thank you for volunteering. I know how cold your hands can get scanning (I do most of my volunteering in Malahide.

if you saw me leaving you'll have seen my weird giant jacket, tiny shorts, knee socks outfit. I don't normally dress like that! I was too wet to put my tracksuit on over my wet shorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Was very happy to hear today that there should be a Parkrun kicking off in Cork city next Sept, fingers crossed it all comes to pass!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Well thank you for volunteering. I know how cold your hands can get scanning (I do most of my volunteering in Malahide.

if you saw me leaving you'll have seen my weird giant jacket, tiny shorts, knee socks outfit. I don't normally dress like that! I was too wet to put my tracksuit on over my wet shorts.

ahem, yes, I was too polite to mention it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

opus wrote: »
    Was very happy to hear today that there should be a Parkrun kicking off in Cork city next Sept, fingers crossed it all comes to pass!

Any idea where in Cork ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Killarney and dundalk start 6th June as per latest newslwtter

kit3 wrote: »
    Any idea where in Cork ?

Tramore Valley Park, the one that's been just about to open for the last three years ;)

They're looking for 10-12 volunteers to get it off the ground 'til things start ticking over, signed up myself already. If anyone is interested then get in touch with Matt the Ireland Parkrun guy.

• Advertisement

Tramore Valley Park, the one that's been just about to open for the last three years ;)

They're looking for 10-12 volunteers to get it off the ground 'til things start ticking over, signed up myself already. If anyone is interested then get in touch with Matt the Ireland Parkrun guy.

Cool - was hoping it might be there. That's not far from my home place (Ballyphehane). Must check it out when I'm down.

Dundalk is the easier trip on June 6. The course is it DKIT I understand

Is that place developed yet?

Is that place developed yet?

I think it's been nearly ready to go for quite a while now - wonder what the hold up is ? Will be interesting to see what it's like - built on top if the old dump - there were a lot of gases coming up there a while back but I assume that's sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Dundalk is the easier trip on June 6. The course is it DKIT I understand

yea the course is laps of the sports fields in DKIT

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Any more coming to the West ? How many can the country support ? Does it impact other races?

Belfast has five itself and numbers at the two closest together continue to grow. Both Victoria Park and Ormeau regularly now get 300+. There are about a dozen scattered around Dublin too.

There are some in London that survive with about 30 runners and 4 volunteers every week. Other nearby events don't impact on them at all.

The more events, the better I think, as long as they continue to get enough people volunteering.

scheister wrote: »
    yea the course is laps of the sports fields in DKIT

Sounds similar to Queen's in Belfast. It's a trail path around hockey and football pitches. Clarisford is much the same as well.

Looking forward to seeing the course map.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great spot for a parkrun :-)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Great spot for a parkrun :-)

It looks lovely

Matt is planning to visit Cork on the evening of June 4th so if anyone is interested in helping to get the event off the ground, please drop him an email for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

parkrun results txting service now live - details here
    http://www.parkrun.ie/news/ - sign up through your profile page - if you have not bookmarked your profile page link can be found on your parkrun results email

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Is this the same as the National cross country course used ?

If we tried to do same out West we would be charged a whacking fee by local third level college for using their facilities . fair play to DKIT .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement