Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Amigaman wrote: »
    Hi Marky91 - 26.09 is a great place to start , I guarantee you'll be faster on Sat. there is just something about running a parkrun when you know you are competing with yourself but you have all the other motivations all around you to push you , I find this every week, on Sat. I'll be doing my 70th and I still get the same buzz , it will keep you comming back for more... Sligo registrations are really good 373 and still going strong , these together with the usual parkrun tourists ( Des ,Simon, Cathy I'm looking at you :-) ) total for the day may creep close to marly's opening day record...

I've been running since August. Doing 1.5, 3 and 5 mile runs and don't seem to improve so much. I guess I need to to speed training instead of just going out and running. I pace myself then te last 5 mins, I speed up and nearly die at the end. Doubt it's the right way to go about it lol. I should just o at a slightly faster speed as stay that speed the whole run?

I use Nike+ gps on my iPhone..doubt it's ever exactly the end length but we will see how I do on exactly 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Thats the other great thing about parkrun ( :-) you can see I'm a bit biased ) when i started running , after walking for about 3000km and dropping 11 stone , I literally didnt know my arse from my elbow :-) , second time I ran seriously was at Griffeen parkrun , there I found other vastly more experienced runners and all of them were so helpful to me, in particular John O'Regan who always had time for questions and was particularly helpful with tips and suggestions . In a couple of weeks do one of the volunteer roles ( scanner is really good for meeting all the runners and walkers in a parkrun ) and have a chat with the guys and gals and you will pick up helpful tips for improving your performance it becomes a positive feedback loop quickly ...enjoy , have fun :-) , after all its only a run in a park :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

edisonolmy wrote: »
    I live in the UK technically, although would only ever run in England, Wales or Scotland if I was there anyway.

I would go to the events across the border specifically, although like to make a weekend of ones further away - Bere Island, Kilkenny, Tralee etc. Events like Tymon, Waterstown, Oldbridge and Cootehill I drove down and back in the same day.

Have you come down to our parkrun in Westport yet? If not when are you coming?
    I might be a little biased but Westport is considered by many to be a nice weekend destination. We also have the best little parkrun in Ireland. Honest.

Thats the other great thing about parkrun ( :-) you can see I'm a bit biased ) when i started running , after walking for about 3000km and dropping 11 stone , I literally didnt know my arse from my elbow :-) , second time I ran seriously was at Griffeen parkrun , there I found other vastly more experienced runners and all of them were so helpful to me, in particular John O'Regan who always had time for questions and was particularly helpful with tips and suggestions . In a couple of weeks do one of the volunteer roles ( scanner is really good for meeting all the runners and walkers in a parkrun ) and have a chat with the guys and gals and you will pick up helpful tips for improving your performance it becomes a positive feedback loop quickly ...enjoy , have fun :-) , after all its only a run in a park :-)

11 STONE? Jesus..fair play! That's some admirable achievements. I'm just In it to keep fitness during winter without football with friends and to lose a small bit of bodyfat. But slowly loving it more. I should get into LDR this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

snailsong wrote: »
    Have you come down to our parkrun in Westport yet? If not when are you coming?
    I might be a little biased but Westport is considered by many to be a nice weekend destination. We also have the best little parkrun in Ireland. Honest.

I plan to do Westport in the spring. I'm even brining the dog as I saw there's a dog friendly hotel right in the middle of Westport - the Wyatt I think it was called.

The idea is I do a bit of driving around the west coast, do Westport one weekend and then head down to Galway the next. By the summer there will be more than one Galway event to choose from, I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I've seen pictures on Facebook of people with Buggies and Dogs,or both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'm highly unfit (and a few stone overweight) and the fastest I ever did a 5k in was 27:13, never did a parkrun before but is it something that would be suited to me or is it elite runners only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Would be perfect for you knig tut. Our local one ranges from 16 mins to 40 mins so you would finish in the main bunch

Hi KT - as I said a few post back I am overly biased towards parkrun but I would honestly say that it would be perfect for you , parkrun is not about proving you are the fastest but it is geared towards consistency of effort its you against the clock every week , and if you beat your time well and good if not there is always next week . And after a while it becomes all about " the next week " without even realizing you slip into training routine , which is after all nothing more then routine application of focused effort. So I would say to you ...give it a go the entry threshold is low ( turn up and participate) the only thing that is required of you ( if you want a time ) is that you bring along your barcode ( parkrun I.D. ) - I hope you do the parkrun and I hope you get the bug like I did :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi KT - as I said a few post back I am overly biased towards parkrun but I would honestly say that it would be perfect for you , parkrun is not about proving you are the fastest but it is geared towards consistency of effort its you against the clock every week , and if you beat your time well and good if not there is always next week . And after a while it becomes all about " the next week " without even realizing you slip into training routine , which is after all nothing more then routine application of focused effort. So I would say to you ...give it a go the entry threshold is low ( turn up and participate) the only thing that is required of you ( if you want a time ) is that you bring along your barcode ( parkrun I.D. ) - I hope you do the parkrun and I hope you get the bug like I did :-)

And don't forget to volunteer the odd time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I plan to do Westport in the spring. I'm even brining the dog as I saw there's a dog friendly hotel right in the middle of Westport - the Wyatt I think it was called.

The idea is I do a bit of driving around the west coast, do Westport one weekend and then head down to Galway the next. By the summer there will be more than one Galway event to choose from, I'm told.

Great, the Wyatt is about a 2 minute walk to the start. Send me a pm when you,re coming and we might meet for a pint or a jog or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redgraffle

The Wyatt is class for dogs - 2 designated rooms for dogs and he's able to walk in and out by the reception as if he owns the place :)

Pub and restaurant part of the hotel so you can keep close and check in from time to time. We had a great time there... Walked the dog the next morning and spotted the parkrun - so p*ssed I didn't know there was a parkrun in Westport at the time - had the running gear in the hotel and all :mad:

Can't wait to drag the wife up there again for another weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Thanks for the responses guys! I got my finger out and signed up to park run, now to find the nearest one to me :)

Which parkruns do you all typically go to?

I'm heavily skewed to the Griffeen parkrun 66 of my 69 parkruns have been there but I've also run Malahide ,Waterstown and Kilkenny( which is lovely ) -the man to talk to is edisonolmy he is on a mission to run most if not all of the irish parkruns :-) - good luck with your first run whereever it is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

When I'm back in Ireland it's always Tymon, for convenience (I run down from my parents' house in Firhouse).

Considering doing HIghbury Fields in the morning if I can drag my fat ass out of bed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

kingtut wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys! I got my finger out and signed up to park run, now to find the nearest one to me :)

Which parkruns do you all typically go to?

I think we all agree that St Anne's is the best parkrun but if you can't make it there then whichever is closest to you is worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Going to the sligo one tomorrow, shall be my first timed run and my first 5k since DIL in salthill last year. anyone that is going you shall find me at the back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

kingtut wrote: »
    I'm highly unfit (and a few stone overweight) and the fastest I ever did a 5k in was 27:13, never did a parkrun before but is it something that would be suited to me or is it elite runners only?

All of the Parkruns are set up for individuals of all abilities: you can look at the 'Results' section for any of the weekly events on the parkrun website and you will see that the majority of participants would probably not describe themselves as 'elite runners.

Most (if not all) Parkrunners love to see a good crowd out on the Saturday morning - it enriches the event to have high numbers of participants regardless of finishing times.

what time should i turn up to the starting line at for the tymon run? 9:20? bit of a warm up then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

MarkY91 wrote: »
    what time should i turn up to the starting line at for the tymon run? 9:20? bit of a warm up then

Yeah, 9.20 so you can do the warm up

• Advertisement

finished at 24:27. 32 out of 94.

im delighted with that. will aim to progress throughout the year. i gave it my all. got a cramp last 5 minutes and was struggling with the breathing. very fun and well organised event(tymon)

I wasn't dead last in the Sligo but I came fairly close :D
    Weather was shocking at the start,hope its nicer next week!

@Marky91 - Well done great base to start from I suspect the parkrun bug has bitten you :-) @sammyjo90 , congrats on the first parkrun in sligo and remember if we didn't have those days like today we'd never truly appreciate those beautiful summer parkrun saturdays :-) , hopefully we will all have a lot of those to come this year - happy running - ed

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I wasn't dead last in the Sligo but I came fairly close :D
    Weather was shocking at the start,hope its nicer next week!

everyone is at a different level of fitness and age etc. most people i know, wouldnt complete a 5k run. congrats on completing it. maybe you can aim to finish a couple of seconds faster next time and so on.

True that ed!

Ah yeah I know mark, I literally just started two weeks ago so now that I have a time I'm just gonna concentrate on beating that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

First time in Tymon in time today. Great event! Very different buzz to Marley, a smaller community feel to it....Like the course, The wind was a bit cold and biting today but I imagine on a calm day it's a real PB'able course.

Ended up accidentally stalking a fella and running on his shoulder more than was polite. He was nice about it tho, he seemed to know everyone in the area too. lol!

Here's the garmin for the course in case anyone is curious:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/686646215

I do Marley Park when I do it, I'll probably do it next Saturday but then my long runs will be switching to Saturdays thereafter until the summer. I must look into volunteering at them. I'll give sligo a lash when I'm up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I would love to do a park run. I signed up recently and I live minutes from Malahide park but I can't seem to get a Saturday off work. The next Saturday I have off, I'm doing a 5k race in Phoenix Park and the one after that, I'm doing a 5k on the Sunday morning so will miss out that day too. Maybe I should volunteer for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Did my first parkrun today in Waterstown Park. Very enjoyable event, nice atmosphere, well organised with a turnout of just over 100. It's a tough two lap course, there is a flat section along the Liffey (but wind was in your face today) and the rest of the loop is hilly, coming of the second lap to the finishing section there is a tough hill. So it is not a PB friendly course.

Haven't run in over two months due to injury so I expected it to be tough, was happy to get home in just under 20 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Ran my "home" parkrun of Hartstown for the first time this morning, trundling around in 23:04 (14th place FWIW) while I try and get the running mojo back. There's no real hills to worry about. First lap is considerably longer than the second, and there was a major windchill to boot. Malahide was where I ran my first, and it's still my favourite; the run through the forest on lap 2, and running up that little hill at the end can take a lot more out of you than you might think!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement