Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pac_man wrote: »
    Anyone why the Phoenix Park doesn't have a parkrun or is it a case that a volunteer group hasn't come forward?
    There are a few Parkruns within close proximity of Phoenix Park. Waterstown is just outside of Phoenix Park. Hartstown isn't too far away, Popintree, Griffeen. Aside from a group of volunteers you'd need permission from the park managers, and given the regularity of organized races (and events) in the park, I couldn't see them being too enthusiastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

The logic seems a bit obscure.I think the park is big enough in that by hosting an event, it doesn't affect the recreational experience of other users. If it was a case of overcrowding due to too many activities taking place then I'd say fair enough but we're talking about 9:30am here.

Despite the proximity of other venues, I'd reckon you'd still get a demand and the course would be set out using the 15 acres. Does the park get a fee for when events take place?
    For commercial events a fee is charged.
    They are saying the park has reached saturation point.
    http://www.phoenixpark.ie/eventsrecreation/eventpolicyframeworkdocument/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Has anyone run Vicarstown parkrun? It's all on grass so would you / should you wear spikes?

Spikes update for anyone wondering: I ran Vicars town today and loved it. Really nice flat course along beside the (partly frozen) canal. it was small (35 runners, I think) and a really friendly group running it and nice tea after. I wore normal runners and was fifth; first four finishers were in spikes :).

Would really recommend it, it was a lovely parkrun.

The logic seems a bit obscure.I think the park is big enough in that by hosting an event, it doesn't affect the recreational experience of other users. If it was a case of overcrowding due to too many activities taking place then I'd say fair enough but we're talking about 9:30am here.

Despite the proximity of other venues, I'd reckon you'd still get a demand and the course would be set out using the 15 acres. Does the park get a fee for when events take place?

There are so many races that take in the. Phoenix park that I wonder would there be much demand for a parkrun there even if it was allowed. Some people may be tired of racing in the park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What's the role of pacer in parkrun?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What's the role of pacer in parkrun?

The pacer will be aiming to run around at an even speed to finish in the specified time, which will be well within their capabilities. If you are trying to break that time target for the last while then try following them all the way round and you should get to the finish on target. Let the pacer figure out what speed you should be running at and you'll hopefully not go off too fast or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The logic seems a bit obscure.
    There's already a Parkrun less than a kilometer from the Phoenix Park. That logic clear enough for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

did my 2nd parkrun at 24:11...over 10 seconds ahead of my 1st one last week. woo hoo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Did my first park run this morning in Macroom and got a crap time of 29:34 :(
    Oh well at least I got out of bed for it! :rolleyes:

I WILL beat that time next week :)

regarding 5k runs.. im looking to better my times. im thinking of doing this..

tuesday - 5 x 1k very fast tempo with a minute or so break every kilometer
    thursday - 5 mile jog at slower than current 5k pace
    saturday - parkun at best effort

does that sound good? maybe i should swap around the 5 mile run for the tuesday..

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    regarding 5k runs.. im looking to better my times. im thinking of doing this..

tuesday - 5 x 1k very fast tempo with a minute or so break every kilometer
    thursday - 5 mile jog at slower than current 5k pace
    saturday - parkun at best effort

does that sound good? maybe i should swap around the 5 mile run for the tuesday..

Are you new to running? I found at the beginning just running a bit more (more times a week and more miles overall) brought my times down.

Are you new to running? I found at the beginning just running a bit more (more times a week and more miles overall) brought my times down.

well ive been running about 5 months now. 1.5, 5 and 5 miles. just timing myself and trying to better myself. started doing parkrun last week and would like to get 22 mins someday. best time is 24:11

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

I never knew you had the swim across the Liffey to get to a parkrun.

No need to swim. Plenty of bridges. Save your energy for the run.

Every new event needs a core team of volunteers and permission from the park in question. If you get both of those, you'll be able to start and maintain a successful event.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redgraffle

Spikes update for anyone wondering: I ran Vicars town today and loved it. Really nice flat course along beside the (partly frozen) canal. it was small (35 runners, I think) and a really friendly group running it and nice tea after. I wore normal runners and was fifth; first four finishers were in spikes :).

Would really recommend it, it was a lovely parkrun.

Brilliant brilliant Park run in Vicarstown. Quite a few wear spikes and there is no issues with spiking as its a small event and plenty of room. I wore runners on a slightly wet day and my time was slower than normal. Not a run for fast times but probably my favourite park run as everyone friendly and great tea and biscuits/cakes at the end. Completely flat course and fast times to be had when the course dries out more in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Redgraffle wrote: »
    Completely flat course and fast times to be had when the course dries out more in the summer

I hope to come back in the summer and give it another go

Redgraffle wrote: »
    Brilliant brilliant Park run in Vicarstown. Quite a few wear spikes and there is no issues with spiking as its a small event and plenty of room. I wore runners on a slightly wet day and my time was slower than normal. Not a run for fast times but probably my favourite park run as everyone friendly and great tea and biscuits/cakes at the end. Completely flat course and fast times to be had when the course dries out more in the summer

Were you there last Saturday? We might have seen each other as it was such a small group.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rashers23

My first Macroom parkrun too on Saturday! Lovely location, great friendly crew but a challenging course too.
    Nice to enjoy the first experience and now you have a target to beat! Will definitely be back soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redgraffle

Were you there last Saturday? We might have seen each other as it was such a small group.

Haven't ran it in a while - only did it once (27th Dec) but definitely plan to run it again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

i reckon the increase of running will bring a starters parkrun time down alright. I think a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday morning type effort will bring an improvement for people definitely at the start. I'd imagine it'll bring you to a plateau at some point where you'd need to up the training and structure of that training but at the same time you'd have a share of running done at that point.

probably useful to have this bridging structure rather than going from a couch to 5K plan straight into a more advanced training plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭axe2grind

PVincent wrote: »
    New route for MARLAY next week. Will be a new start and finish at the top end of the park at College Road. Full route to be published after tomorrow's race to avoid confusion
    Is this route online anywhere.
    I don't see it on parkrun.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

they don't seem to have posted it up yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The new marlay route has been announced. Just the one big hill at the start. Looks quite fast to me....

10414492_440294582792474_5025801031906578213_n.jpg?oh=61e6b5722d66a3771dfd6e1925bef2ad&oe=559415EF&__gda__=1432621445_b4b7ab5b370c9c81457435418fff37da

a lot of overlap with the old route, as you'd expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭CassieManson

axe2grind wrote: »
    Is this route online anywhere.
    I don't see it on parkrun.ie

Hi I was hoping to do the Marlay Park Run in the next couple of weeks. I was looking at the website and their directions are really confusing. Travelling by bus (no 16) could anyone tell me the best stop to get of at?

Thanks!

Hi I was hoping to do the Marlay Park Run in the next couple of weeks. I was looking at the website and their directions are really confusing. Travelling by bus (no 16) could anyone tell me the best stop to get of at?

Grange Road, outside the main entrance to Marlay Park. It's a 10/15 minute walk through the park to get to the start line

i wonder how many will turn up to tymon on valentines morning in the rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i wonder how many will turn up to tymon on valentines morning in the rain?
    Not sure about Tymon, but I've helped out in Marley on freezing cold, wet mornings and still 200 - 300 turn up.
    Also, single people don't care about valentines or for that matter people who are married for years.:)

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Not sure about Tymon, but I've helped out in Marley on freezing cold, wet mornings and still 200 - 300 turn up.
    Also, single people don't care about valentines or for that matter people who are married for years.:)

haha good point. its just saturday to me :p marley sure has some turn out. i might take a trip down on saturday. tymon got in the 90s both time i went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

gerard_65 wrote: »

Im not single, nor married years and i still dont care about it:D
    Its what, an hour out of the day? You'd want some ball and chain of a partner to deny you that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A Hallmark Holiday? Sure why would that stop anyone doing anything? :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement