Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Some of the other park runs would have a larger group (and therefore more beginners) - might be worth trying one of those first if you feel very nervous about running (if they are nearer to you). That being said, the ethos of park run is to welcome everyone- some people walk the whole Galway one and that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

I did my first ever park run (in Griffeen Park) on Saturday. It was really good natured and relaxed and everyone was in good form and there was zero pressure or hassle. Fair play to everyone involved in organising. Great fun and really worthwhile.
    Lex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Thanks all, Hartstown would be my closest, maybe I will attempt it Saturday week and in the meantime, will continue to practise by myself :)

I have lost a lot of weight so finding that I am enjoying running, this time last year, I couldn't even run for a bus... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Dipped my toe back into parkrun waters at the weekend with a trip to Shanganagh - now my home parkrun as it's an easy jog from my house. Nice flat course means you can get a great run out of it, and not too congested either.

Nice to meet one of the original Boards AC members there, also on the comeback trail. :)

Went in to my parkrun profile afterwards to update my home parkrun (touch of sadness in this!) and noticed the link to claim my volunteer shirt, which is now done and am awaiting delivery of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Lex Luther wrote: »
    I did my first ever park run (in Griffeen Park) on Saturday. It was really good natured and relaxed and everyone was in good form and there was zero pressure or hassle. Fair play to everyone involved in organising. Great fun and really worthwhile.
    Lex

I was there too, how did you go? how do you find that course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Cork starts on 26th September according to email newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Dub13 wrote: »
    Clongriffin is Dublin is apparently in the early stages of getting setup.

Yes this is true. We are aiming for a start date of 29th of August but it's not set in stone. I will post when website is up and running and we have more details on exact course. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'll be there :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

foleyalan wrote: »
    Yes this is true. We are aiming for a start date of 29th of August but it's not set in stone. I will post when website is up and running and we have more details on exact course. Looking forward to it.

Nice one, looking forward to it although I am away that weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Cork starts on 26th September according to email newsletter.

Yup that the plan anyway. We're have another meeting of the team of volunteers towards the end of July, if anyone is interested in coming along to help get it off the ground send me a pm for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

I was there too, how did you go? how do you find that course?

It went good, (18.51 which to be honest is good for me)...nice straightforward course , a few turns but not annonyingly so...slight drag ( and into the wind) at the end of each lap.. but overall a good, fair course I thought.
    How'd you go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Vahevala wrote: »
    Thanks all, Hartstown would be my closest, maybe I will attempt it Saturday week and in the meantime, will continue to practise by myself :)

I have lost a lot of weight so finding that I am enjoying running, this time last year, I couldn't even run for a bus... :D

Good luck with it, you will find parkrun addictive, they are great events :)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Lex Luther wrote: »
    It went good, (18.51 which to be honest is good for me)...nice straightforward course , a few turns but not annonyingly so...slight drag ( and into the wind) at the end of each lap.. but overall a good, fair course I thought.

The turn onto and off the second bridge annoys me, really knocks your momentum and then you are faced with that drag uphill. Still, it's nice to have. Is beside where my parents live so I do it a fair bit and it's nice to be able to keep track of finishing times over the months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Looks like another parkrun is being set up for Dublin 15 in Porterstown Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Interesting, my neck of the woods - anyone know who's behind this (race director or equiv?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Where is the Cork city park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

For all the St Anne's PR fans....no event this Saturday due to the Rose Festival, in case you hadn't heard...

http://www.parkrun.ie/stannes/news/

Did Athlone today. Challenging enough. Mostly cross country and grass. Straightforward enough to follow as well once you get into it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Quite a few people at yesterday's parkrun proudly wearing their purple volunteers tshirts. Think they are going to be more sought after than the others, mostly just run directors that have earned them so far.

I was getting another volunteer role ticked off, whilst also baby minding, on what would otherwise have been my 100th run.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I have ran Oldbridge a few times, in particular, the last few weeks. Fantastic course, the first 3km is a constant uphill ascent with 2 steep hills, but lovely challenging route. Thinking of trying out the Dundalk one to see what it's like, has anyone tried the Dundalk one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Did Athlone for the first time yesterday. Confusing course when they were explaining it. But having ran it now I have a better idea. Enjoyed the cross country bit but my runners were soaked after the running in the grass, I'm used to being out in the road. But I enjoyed it and looking forward to my next one. 9.30 is a bit early in the morn for me but I was all the better for it after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Times in Waterstown were slower than usual yesterday. Leader was around 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Gael23 wrote: »
    Times in Waterstown were slower than usual yesterday. Leader was around 20 minutes.

Alot of events on the weekend that would have drawn runners away from parkrun. Race series 10k being the main one.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I have ran Oldbridge a few times, in particular, the last few weeks. Fantastic course, the first 3km is a constant uphill ascent with 2 steep hills, but lovely challenging route. Thinking of trying out the Dundalk one to see what it's like, has anyone tried the Dundalk one?

Dundalk is pretty much laps of pitches at DKIT. The day I went it was incredibly windy, which made it a struggle. The giant wind turbine at DKIT should have been a clue. It is mostly flat but there's a couple of deceptive climbs.

I found it got quite congested even on the 2nd lap and especially on the 3rd.

Great, friendly team of volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Dundalk is pretty much laps of pitches at DKIT. The day I went it was incredibly windy, which made it a struggle. The giant wind turbine at DKIT should have been a clue. It is mostly flat but there's a couple of deceptive climbs.

I found it got quite congested even on the 2nd lap and especially on the 3rd.

Great, friendly team of volunteers.

Sounds good, thanks! Keen to try it out. I've heard it's 3 laps and involves a bit of tarmac, stone and grass??

No grass unless you are lapping people. Mostly tarmac and compacted gravel. Dundalk and Oldbridge could not be further apart in terms of scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Just announced the go ahead has been given for a parkrun in Cellbridge - no start date or course details just yet but it is being organized by one of the Core team from Griffeen if you are in the area and would like to be involved in organizing it please dont hesitate to contact Sharon via facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/scooby.ashmore?fref=nf&pnref=story )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Amigaman wrote: »
    Just announced the go ahead has been given for a parkrun in Cellbridge - no start date or course details just yet but it is being organized by one of the Core team from Griffeen if you are in the area and would like to be involved in organizing it please dont hesitate to contact Sharon via facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/scooby.ashmore?fref=nf&pnref=story )

Love the timing on this one. As I move from Dubdalk to Celbridge was wondering weather Waterstown or Griffen wud be my new home parkrun. But as the old Carlsberg as saying it's not only A&B there is always a C

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

LOL well C will work out well for you , but the answer to your previous prediciment was Griffeen :-)

Cellbridge will be at Castletown House I understand. Lovely spot. means I can tick off Kildare on my `32 county challenge' without having to do Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭CassieManson

For all the St Anne's PR fans....no event this Saturday due to the Rose Festival, in case you hadn't heard...

http://www.parkrun.ie/stannes/news/

Just wondering,,,, if you want to do a park run that is not in your usual location do you need to get a new bar code or can you use the same bar code as for your "local" run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just wondering,,,, if you want to do a park run that is not in your usual location do you need to get a new bar code or can you use the same bar code as for your "local" run.

same code everywhere

New FB page for Stormont, due to start on Aug 29, for anyone who fancies a trip north
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stormont-parkrun/860567224025228?sk=timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭slingerz

Where is the Cork city park?

the old dump

The Stormont page now appears to have disappeared. Hmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

slingerz wrote: »
    the old dump

Yup exactly that, plan is still to launch towards the end of Sept. We've got a good initial group of over ten at this stage so should be plenty to get it off the ground. I'll post here once everything is definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭slingerz

opus wrote: »
    Yup exactly that, plan is still to launch towards the end of Sept. We've got a good initial group of over ten at this stage so should be plenty to get it off the ground. I'll post here once everything is definite.

Looking forward to it, have to 'pop' my parkrun tourist cherry so will be look to get this done here in september

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cake day tomorrow as I'll be completing my metric equivalent of The Proclaimers hit, and having run rather than walked... anyway. 100 parkruns w00t!11!1!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Cellbridge will be at Castletown House I understand. Lovely spot. means I can tick off Kildare on my `32 county challenge' without having to do Naas

What's up with Naas Edison? Planning to do it soon.

• Advertisement

Naas is fine. It is 2.5 laps of the racecourse. Great group of volunteers. No noticeable hills so fast times are possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Did my first one today in oldbridge.

A little undulating.

At least I now have a time to beat.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Naas is fine. It is 2.5 laps of the racecourse. Great group of volunteers. No noticeable hills so fast times are possible.

How does the half lap work? I can see it being difficult to coordinate.

I'd imagine a half lap just means the start and finish are in different places. On a loop, that's easy enough to manage. Friends of mine who ran Naas weren't that fussed on it. I'll probably get to it in time.

I'd imagine a half lap just means the start and finish are in different places. On a loop, that's easy enough to manage. Friends of mine who ran Naas weren't that fussed on it. I'll probably get to it in time.

Just if theres some slower runners being lapped by the leader they might think they have finished but have another lap to go.

Yeah the start line is the opposite side of the track to the finish line. Bit of a trek from the car park but not too bad. Minimal amount of marshalls needed as the whole course is visible from every point of it. Not really one of the more scenic runs but grand if you want to stretch the legs on a Saturday morning with a friendly bunch.

• Advertisement

Just if theres some slower runners being lapped by the leader they might think they have finished but have another lap to go.

There are a couple of 3 and a half ish lap parkruns near me, mostly works out OK and it's generally fairly obvious to the marshalls who is on what lap and you can easily send the right person the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Runs in Cork city. Anyone know of few good 5ks. New to the city. Thank s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Yeah, Naas is very straightforward - there's never any confusion. On a windless day, it's quite a fast course - probably even faster now that they've adopted a clockwise route. If there is any sort of wind though - it can be tough as it's very exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

newwan wrote: »
    Runs in Cork city. Anyone know of few good 5ks. New to the city. Thank s

You'll find everything you need to know about races in Cork on the corkrunning blog. We are spoiled for choice with races, especially in the summer

http://www.corkrunning.blogspot.ie/

I've seen that happen before, but most runners have a good idea of how many laps they've done.

Comber is 4 laps. I've seen runners being lapped turn into the finishing chute on their 3rd lap before.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement