Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Did my first parkrun in Tralee last weekend. Very enjoyable and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Very flat course so one for quick times. Only negative is the out and back section that has to be done on each lap. I'd of thought they could just push the start back but I'm sure there's some reason for it.

Will certainly be back (hopefully fitter) when I'm in that neck of the woods again, next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Great news on the 2 new Southside Parkruns. Gives plenty of variety and should help ease the loading on Marlay a little! The course in Cabo park will be interesting, lots of running up and down hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Had my first run on the new Marlay course yesterday, really enjoyed it despite the big drag in the first km. My Forerunner measured the course a little short at 4.88km's, not sure if it might have been an issue with losing signal among the trees. Anybody else got a measurement on the new course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

The start in Marlay was a huge disaster, so wedged!!!
    I logged in 4.92 yesterday (no I didn't cut the corners), not once I ran 5k in Marlay tbh
    Nice run tho

I agree that the start is a bit congested, especially with the two sharp turns early on, you just need to run a PB for the first 200 metres !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Last week I ran a new to me parkrun, trail course nearly 400 runners and I somehow get 1st finisher with a low 18 minute time. This week another new to me parkrun, trail course, lots of mud, only 40 runners normally and often won in 20+ minutes, I get 2nd place with 21 minutes after the guy who had been tracking me the whole way round beat me in a sprint for the line.

Never know what you are going to get at parkrun, but it is still always the same. Love it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

robinph wrote: »
    Last week I ran a new to me parkrun, trail course nearly 400 runners and I somehow get 1st finisher with a low 18 minute time. This week another new to me parkrun, trail course, lots of mud, only 40 runners normally and often won in 20+ minutes, I get 2nd place with 21 minutes after the guy who had been tracking me the whole way round beat me in a sprint for the line.

Never know what you are going to get at parkrun, but it is still always the same. Love it. :D

Snap! Ran a new to me Parkrun yesterday as well. Decent number of runners and its normally won with a decent time but I managed the top spot with just under 19. Sometimes you just get good days.

Grand start to the day so it was for me anyway (",)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    The start in Marlay was a huge disaster, so wedged!!!
    I logged in 4.92 yesterday (no I didn't cut the corners), not once I ran 5k in Marlay tbh
    Nice run tho

My garmin said 4.84 for Marlay and my Garmin time was two minutes faster than my official park run time due to delays in getting our tags at the end.

It was my first park run and I really enjoyed it. I ran faster than when I run on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Looking forward to the Shanganagh run! Just down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

My garmin said 4.84 for Marlay and my Garmin time was two minutes faster than my official park run time due to delays in getting our tags at the end.
    Don't understand how your time can be out by 2 mins. You're time is clocked as you cross the finish line. The tag is then matched to that time. The wait in the Q has nothing to do with your finish time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Had my first run on the new Marlay course yesterday, really enjoyed it despite the big drag in the first km. My Forerunner measured the course a little short at 4.88km's, not sure if it might have been an issue with losing signal among the trees. Anybody else got a measurement on the new course?

Never ran it, but pretty certain it's 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Don't understand how your time can be out by 2 mins. You're time is clocked as you cross the finish line. The tag is then matched to that time. The wait in the Q has nothing to do with your finish time.

Agree.

A mate of mine crossed the finish line, but he jumped out of the queue to talk to a friend BEFORE he got his tag... then he went back in line a few places back, and got the wrong tag. His own fault TBH but he made a mess of EVERYONEs time. The person that really finished after him took his tag...and so on... everyone was off that week that finished after him, untill he got back in line. BUT that only explains getting a FASTER time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Visited Hartstown yesterday. Well run event, and a fast course. Enjoyed that group warmup! Thanks to the volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just when I thought I was getting close to my target of running in all the Dublin parkruns! Yesterday I went to Tymon, which became my seventh different venue of the current nine - Marlay and Ardgillan being the two remaining. A very short first lap and a long second one, which in the cold and wind yesterday meant it was just a box to be ticked rather than chasing any kind of a fast time! Not having time for a proper warmup didn't help, but hopefully I'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

It was my first park run and I really enjoyed it. I ran faster than when I run on my own.

CassieManson email Marlay parkrun with details and they will correct your result, the time is recorded when you cross the line not when you get your token or are scanned.

With regard to the length of Marlay it has been measured with two measuring wheels that have been calibrated at Santry Stadium and Irishtown. We went to this effort as our Garmins were consistently measuring the course short which we put down to the trees and perhaps the two hairpins.

LiamMcC wrote: »
    With regard to the length of Marlay it has been measured with two measuring wheels that have been calibrated at Santry Stadium and Irishtown. We went to this effort as our Garmins were consistently measuring the course short which we put down to the trees and perhaps the two hairpins.

Thanks for that LiamMcC, so I can honestly claim a PB then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Just when I thought I was getting close to my target of running in all the Dublin parkruns! Yesterday I went to Tymon, which became my seventh different venue of the current nine - Marlay and Ardgillan being the two remaining.

Good to see there are others with parkrun goals. Mine is to run one in every county. I know it's not possible yet, but reckon most will have events by the end of this year. Wexford will be next.

Looking forward to Cabinteely and Shanganagh. Spent quite a bit of time in those parks in my youth.

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Good to see there are others with parkrun goals. Mine is to run one in every county. I know it's not possible yet, but reckon most will have events by the end of this year. Wexford will be next.

Plenty of us out there :)

I've stuck to my local for far too long and have only visited two others so far. Gonna get all the Dublin ones over the next few weeks and hopefully a few other counties as well during the year.

Kinda annoying when you hit one off your list and have to wait a whole week for the next! First world problems of course :)

Plenty of us out there :)

I've stuck to my local for far too long and have only visited two others so far. Gonna get all the Dublin ones over the next few weeks and hopefully a few other counties as well during the year.

Kinda annoying when you hit one off your list and have to wait a whole week for the next! First world problems of course :)

If you fancy a quick time, pay us a visit at Victoria Park in Belfast. Motorway/dual-carriageway the whole way as far as Sydenham, then just 3 mins from there.

edisonolmy wrote: »
    If you fancy a quick time, pay us a visit at Victoria Park in Belfast. Motorway/dual-carriageway the whole way as far as Sydenham, then just 3 mins from there.

Good stuff, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Busy month of parkrun tourism starting next weekend: Johnstown Castle, Wexford (7/3), Lees Road, Ennis (14/3), Cabinteely, Dublin (28/3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

New Ross Parkrun starting early April, per their fb page tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

For those interested, delighted to say that Paul Sinton-Hewitt, founder of parkrun, will be joining us at St. Anne's this Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

It's Castlebar's 1st anniversary this Saturday (March 7th). They are hoping to get as many previous runners out in force to break the current record of 168 (quite large considering Westport is ten mins away).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Very few of these in the midlands. Any reason as to why? I know there is bigger parks in citys but vicarstown have a great setup along the canal. You'd think the likes of Tullamore or Mullingar would have one by now.
    In what way do the HSE support Parkrun, do they help with a percentage of costs to equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Very few of these in the midlands. Any reason as to why? ....

Just takes someone/ a group to step forward and organise it. Not necessarily linked with population centres - eg Bere Island etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Killerz wrote: »
    Just takes someone/ a group to step forward and organise it. Not necessarily linked with population centres - eg Bere Island etc.

Do they tend to pop up where there is an absence of athletics clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Do they tend to pop up where there is an absence of athletics clubs?

they tend to pop up where there is someone willing to organise one, regardless of whether there is a club there or not. Raheny and Tallaght, to name 2 areas, have well established clubs and also have parkruns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eoinín wrote: »
    they tend to pop up where there is someone willing to organise one, regardless of whether there is a club there or not. Raheny and Tallaght, to name 2 areas, have well established clubs and also have parkruns.

And Marlay is right beside DSD, I think! Also, Sligo has a parkrun and an AC. All you need is a core group of volunteers and an off-road area to run it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Doing my first park run this Saturday in Johnstown Castle. Only goal is to finish without having to walk some of it :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement