Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

eoinín wrote: »
    Raheny and Tallaght, to name 2 areas, have well established clubs and also have parkruns.

Tymon is not in Tallaght :):mad::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Tymon is not in Tallaght :):mad::pac:

Part of it is in Tallaght. None of it is in Knocklyon ;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Part of it is in Tallaght.

yeah, the part that the parkrun isn't in :)
    The bit where the run is, is Templeogue, Walkinstown, Greenhills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    yeah, the part that the parkrun isn't in :)
    The bit where the run is, is Templeogue, Walkinstown, Greenhills.

The car park is in Tallaght :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    The car park is in Tallaght :)

That's probably why everyone refuses to park there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone know what is the best spot to park for the Poppintree parkrun and best way to enter the park (what side?). Don't know the area at all. thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone know what is the best spot to park for the Poppintree parkrun and best way to enter the park (what side?). Don't know the area at all. thanks!

Hey Ososlo,
    I always take this route and parking is always guaranteed.
    It leaves you 100m from the start line.

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Ososlo,
    I always take this route and parking is always guaranteed.
    It leaves you 100m from the start line.

Super thanks a mill belcarra. I know it's within running distance from home but I'm pacing someone who won't want to jog there.
    cheers again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Ososlo wrote: »
    Super thanks a mill belcarra. I know it's within running distance from home but I'm pacing someone who won't want to jog there.
    cheers again!

After lots of good intentions I have yet to run there myself!:o
    Always end up running late and jumping in the car and even last week I arrived a minute after the field had started!!
    Still finished tenth mind you!:D

Always end up running late and jumping in the car and even last week I arrived a minute after the field had started!!

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Show off!!! :)

Was in Poppintree park for the first time today, bigger park than I expected, had no idea it was there until parkrun started. Amazing that Dublin can sustain so many parkruns close to each other... we were in Edinburgh recently and there was only one for the whole city (which was attracting 500+ runners).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Poppintree is a nice parkrun. I drove by it loads of times and sure enough it wasn't until the Parkrun popped up that I knew there was a park in there. It's a fast 3 lap course with a friendly local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Are the gates for tymon car park still closed? Does that bridge that goes over the m50 near the starting point come from the basket ball arena? If so Is it far/tricky to get to from the arena?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Are the gates for tymon car park still closed? Does that bridge that goes over the m50 near the starting point come from the basket ball arena? If so Is it far/tricky to get to from the arena?

It's a two min jog from start line to the Basketball arena car park, just the opposite side of the bridge

ECOLII wrote: »
    It's a two min jog from start line to the Basketball arena car park, just the opposite side of the bridge

Thanks...2 min warm up jog...15 mins to do the run ;)...2 min jog back...plenty of time to be back and bring the kids to football :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks...2 min warm up jog...15 mins to do the run ;)...2 min jog back...plenty of time to be back and bring the kids to football :D

well you did say something about 'ambitions above your station' in the rave thread earlier :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Cabinteely and Shanganagh courses now online. Cabinteely looks so flat on a computer screen...Both starting March 28 according to their respective web pages on official parkrun ie site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

the gates always seem to be closed when i go to cycle that way. i just use the gates at the gaelic club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Cabinteely and Shanganagh courses now online. Cabinteely looks so flat on a computer screen...Both starting March 28 according to their respective web pages on official parkrun ie site

Brilliant:-) excited to go back 'home' spent much of my misspent youth in Cabinteely park, there's one hill in particular that stands out in my memory & ill bet well be going up it :-D

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant:-) excited to go back 'home' spent much of my misspent youth in Cabinteely park, there's one hill in particular that stands out in my memory & ill bet well be going up it :-D

I plan to run it rather than Shanganagh on March 28. Lived right beside the park for a year in the early 90s, so a 'home'run for me too

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    the gates always seem to be closed when i go to cycle that way. i just use the gates at the gaelic club

Yeah I went in that way last time...but now the start line is over at the hill and the bridge is just beside it...Im thinking it might be handier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Bump: Paul Sinton-Hewitt, founder of parkrun , will be at St. Anne's parkrun Raheny tomorrow morning at 930am. as if you needed a reason to run at St Anne's, here's another one! See you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just finished the Johnstown parkrun, really fun and well organised event. Paced myself very slowly at the start so I finished it fine :) looking forward to beating my time next Saturday!

Paced my sister in Poppintree this morning. Fantastic crew there and so encouraging on the course and really helpful at the start/finish. Great flat course with just one slight incline. 3 x laps. Was windy but on a less windy day it would be a perfect fast course.
    Thanks Poppintree. I'll be back to race it in a few weeks and help out soon too.
    7 mins from my door! What's not to like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Just finished the Johnstown parkrun, really fun and well organised event. Paced myself very slowly at the start so I finished it fine :) looking forward to beating my time next Saturday!

Ran this as well and thought it was excellently run for a first day, congrats to all involved. It was my first parkrun though so I have nothing to compare it to. Anyone there today who's done a few different ones, how does it compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ran Tralee park run yesterday, first time running the course and given that I've just moved to the area I expect to run it pretty frequently.
    It's a good course, 3 laps clockwise around the town park. The surface is good for the most part, some minor parts towards the back of the park where tree roots are running under the tarmacadam so it's slightly uneven for maybe 50 mtrs but nothing of note really.
    One weird part of the course which I didn't like was a U-turn section they have in the course, you run down a section of the path and then run around a traffic cone and back the way you came....it's maybe 100 mtrs down and back to turn but a small pain really!
    I just need to practice my 180 degree turns to keep the pace as you have to slow right down.

Some other things to mention, very friendly volunteers who greeted everyone in Irish as they entered the finishing area.
    Parking (approx 1.20 an hour) is brilliantly close to the start/finish area, like Griffeen in that regard which I really liked the time I ran there. Also there are clean public toilets in the park which were open at that time (about 150-200 mtrs from the start before the first corner). Very handy for those, like myself who always like a last minute splash before they dash.

I ran Johnstown on Saturday too. A stunning course. I found it quite draining given the loose stones, but it is still a pretty quick course.

I went back later to explore the grounds and museum. Well worth a visit.

Not to be outdone, the north is getting its first new parkrun event in yonks

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/limavady/

Starts the same day as Cabinteely and Shanganagh. I was going to do Cabinteely but I'm not so sure now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pictures of the Johnstown parkrun are here, really is such a picturesque run - http://www.parkrun.ie/johnstown/photos/

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Naas parkrun are 1 year going on Saturday. Cake for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement