Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Did I mention I'm bringing cake to Porterstown on Oct 17, to mark my 100? Oh I did, well no harm in mentioning it again.

Cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Did I mention I'm bringing cake to Porterstown on Oct 17, to mark my 100? Oh I did, well no harm in mentioning it again.

Cake.

that's very close to me, see you there so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

On the subject of cake, birthdays and celebrations, St Anne's second birthday is on 26th September. All welcome. There will be treats afterwards, provided by our friends in Olives Room cafe.

Back to buggies - the clongriffin parkrun (father Collins park) kicks off on 2nd of October and might well be buggy friendly. I don't know the course but some of the organisers frequent these parts and may provide some guidance.

Colin Glen now confirmed for Oct 10 start date. I'll be in Poland that weekend for the match so will miss it, and its hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stiobhan

Hi, I will be in Dublin on Saturday 26th September 2015 and would like to do a parkrun. I am not familiar with any of the places they take place and have no transport so if anybody is travelling from the centre (I'll be at Bachelor's Walk) either by car or public transport to one and would let me tag along I would be grateful. I am also doing the 10k Night Run at Park West on Tuesday 29th and the same applies. Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Waterstown could be a good option for you. It is a lovely run in the liffey valley, a gentle incline to finish. It is a straight bus journey from bachelor's walk and also not far from parkwest...

Stiobhan wrote: »
    Hi, I will be in Dublin on Saturday 26th September 2015 and would like to do a parkrun. I am not familiar with any of the places they take place and have no transport so if anybody is travelling from the centre (I'll be at Bachelor's Walk) either by car or public transport to one and would let me tag along I would be grateful. I am also doing the 10k Night Run at Park West on Tuesday 29th and the same applies. Thank you!

Hi Stiobhan - St. Anne's has its sceond birthday party that day and you are more than welcome to join us. I'll be hosting at Dublin's finest park on the day and we will be having some treats at the adjacent cafe afterwards. St. Anne's is probably the closest parkrun to Bachelors Walk (though I stand to be corrected, and will be corrected :rolleyes:). Here's you get to us, note we will be starting a little earlier that day due to birthday speeches etc.

http://www.parkrun.ie/stannes/course/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The 130 bus from Abbey St will drop you right at the main car park/ coffee shop used for the St. Anne's one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Stiobhan wrote: »

You have a variety of options to get to parkwest.
    The easiest way is to Just cross the river to ashton quay and either get the express bus (from the USIT) which leaves every half an hour. See here or the 79a from the same spot. Both leave you straight right in parkwest (though obviously the express bus is faster).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Interval training, I believe that's the best way of getting faster over 5ks?
    I was running 5 ks 3 times a week, maybe 26mins of running, I did my 1st park run in 23mins, I ran foir 5 weeks before taking part in the park run.
    So I've no smart phone or GPS watch, I go out and just run with music and time my runs. I've driven some of the routes I go on to measure how far I've gone or if running with friends they've devices that are all singing and dancing.
    Now I've started just picking points out ahead of me and trying to run at a faster pace to them, then ease back to normal face, I usually do this for the 2nd half of my mid week runs.
    Does this sound good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We've been going to Park run as a family the last two months when we are free at the weekends. What time are park runs usually on at? Ours is 9.30am which I find a little early for a Saturday, would love it to be on at 10.30 to get a little lie in and still get up in plenty of time to let breakfast settle and get some stretches done. I find the course a bit tough, I usually run on a road or on a track around the football pitch but the park run is all grass or cross country/trails (not sure the right wording), basically all off road with some climbs. It's good though, pushes the body a bit!
    Our young lad is having a great time of it though, he loves the "racing" element of it, and is the fastest of his age category in our park run at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

All of the parkruns in Ireland start at 9:30am.

If going parkrun touristing abroad though check the local times as they can vary between 7am in Australia to 10am for some junior events.

pac_man wrote: »
    All parkruns in Ireland are at 9:30am as far as I know.

That's grand - tis a bit early but we are the better for it, up early and run done - set up for the day.
    What's it like in the winter for park run?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    What's it like in the winter for park run?

Bracing.

parkruns will be on all year round, but if the weather is looking a bit dodgy, such as ice, and your parkrun is on tarmac then check the events webpage that morning, and their Facebook pages as they can get cancelled right up until the last minute if the conditions are not safe.

You might even get extra events on Christmas Day and or New Years day depending on if the local events decide to run on those days, and these may well be run at different times. On New Years Day you can sometimes find that if there are several parkruns in relatively close proximity to each other they will arrange to start at different times and you would then be able to run multiple events in the one day if you can get between them on time.

emm well I'm not finished before 10am!! Our park run is Athlone.

I ran throughout last winter, it was on a tarmac track around a football pitch in evening time with a bit of lighting. I just wouldn't have done any morning time running in winter on grass.

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Interval training, I believe that's the best way of getting faster over 5ks?

Yes. Train faster than your 5k pace. Do mile repeats at faster than race pace with about a minute recovery. Or even half mile repeats.

The more you do it, reduce the recovery time. I found doing more than the 5k distance when you add up all the reps helped. So if doing half miles, do 7 or 8. If miles, do 4 or 5

Winter can be a challenge. A lot of events can be called off due to frost and ice. We had a Christmas day run at Vicky Park last year which was good fun. Not sure if many will run on Christmas this year given it's a Friday isn't it?

Winter can be a challenge. A lot of events can be called off due to frost and ice. We had a Christmas day run at Vicky Park last year which was good fun. Not sure if many will run on Christmas this year given it's a Friday isn't it?

Porterstown is on the official site now. I like that it is flat
    http://www.parkrun.ie/porterstown/course/

• Advertisement

Porterstown is on the official site now. I like that it is flat
    http://www.parkrun.ie/porterstown/course/

Wow, they are really cramming them in in the west of Dublin.

robinph wrote:
    Wow, they are really cramming them in in the west of Dublin.

Do the current one's get good numbers...?

Griffeen regularly over 100. Waterstown and Hartstown smaller - about 50-80 most weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Had a walk around the Tramore Valley park route in Cork yesterday, all systems go for the kick off on Sat morning!

10cnek1.jpg

Good luck on Saturday. Sorry I miss it, but I think there'll be a few others down from Belfast

opus wrote: »
    Had a walk around the Tramore Valley park route in Cork yesterday, all systems go for the kick off on Sat morning!

10cnek1.jpg

You know the course needs to be longer than that, right???? :cool:

Best of luck on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Am planning to go to the Tramore Valley Parkrun tomorrow.
    As its the first one in the city, what is the story with parking out there?
    Does anyone know if there is a bike park /lock up area?
    Will there be somewhere to leave a bag? Or just leave near the barcode table for collection afterwards?
    For normal Parkruns, do you literally just arrive at 9:25 go the start line and run.

Are the parkruns punctual? Do they start at 9:30 or is it 9:30 but really start at 9:40?

If anyone could offer a few logistical pointers that would be much appreciated.

Will there be somewhere to leave a bag? Or just leave near the barcode table for collection afterwards?
    For normal Parkruns, do you literally just arrive at 9:25 go the start line and run.

Are the parkruns punctual? Do they start at 9:30 or is it 9:30 but really start at 9:40?

Don't know about the specifics for Tramore, but in general for any parkrun you'd be best leaving your bag in the car. Carry your barcode on you, either pined to your top or in your key pocket of your shorts.
    You can turn up at 5 minutes early and just run, but on your first parkrun I'd not recommend it as you'll need to find your way to the start and listen to the briefing, there may be last minute changes to the course or it may just be a course that needs a bit of explaining. Always worth listening to the briefing at any parkrun though as you never know what may be said.
    Mostly I've found they are fairly punctual, sometimes there might start a few minutes late if there is a surge in numbers one week due to another event being cancelled locally and parking being an issue. Mostly they get away on time.

Remember to take your personal barcode with you or you will not get a time recorded.
    Remember to give them back the finish position token after you've been scanned or they will have to buy new codes.

There's a car park there alright but nothing special that I saw for bikes. When I was in the park I chained my bike onto a lamppost. Not sure by what you mean by a "lock up area".

You're welcome to leave a bag near the finish but please remember we're just volunteers so can't offer any guarantees as to someone always being there to watch it.

We'd plan to get it going at 9.30 but given it's the first one with an unknown number of participants it might take a little longer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭CassieManson

There's a car park there alright but nothing special that I saw for bikes. When I was in the park I chained my bike onto a lamppost. Not sure by what you mean by a "lock up area".

You're welcome to leave a bag near the finish but please remember we're just volunteers so can't offer any guarantees as to someone always being there to watch it.

We'd plan to get it going at 9.30 but given it's the first one with an unknown number of participants it might take a little longer :)

Good luck for the new Cork park run. I am in Cork often and was wishing there was a park run in or near the city. Am looking forward to running with you at some point soon!

Killerz wrote: »
    You know the course needs to be longer than that, right???? :cool:

Best of luck on Saturday.

Thanks! Didn't think I'd gain too much more insight by walking around the loop a second time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

just wondered if there was a suitable place for locking bikes -bike stand or similar. Probably just use railings/lampost so, and drive on.

Thanks for info.

Looking forward to it.

Quite a turnout for the first Cork city parkrun this morning, we ended up with 347 participants including the running legend that is Bruce Fordyce! I stole the pic below from the Running in Cork post on the race :)

rmqjj5.jpg

Don't think I've ever got as much enjoyment out of an event before (even though I had to give the little 'welcome to parkrun' speech at the start) :o

That's a great turnout for a first one, looks like there will be a big demand for parkrun in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Looking at the results it looks like a great day was had in Cork , some legends running there today, sorry I missed it

You look like you had all the parkrun country managers there on Saturday. Fantastic turn out for an inaugural too.

Who's for Fr Collins on Saturday? I'll be there all being well

edisonolmy wrote:

I will be there, looking forward to it as It's right beside me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'll be there. Might be buggy pushing though so say hello as you overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

This came up on my facebook feed earlier, I thought it was pretty cool, 11 years of park run & 121,000 parkrunners last weekend worldwide :)

Firedance wrote: »
    This came up on my facebook feed earlier, I thought it was pretty cool, 11 years of park run & 121,000 parkrunners last weekend worldwide :)

And the first week with over 100,000 was only back in April ish time this year I think. parkrun shows no signs of slowing it's growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I'll be there. Won't be pushing myself hard because have the Athlone 3/4 the next morning.

I did the inaugural Father Collins Park this morning, lovely morning for it and a nice and flat course. Picked up a PB but that was more down to DCM 15 training. I am right beside Father Collins Park so will be doing this a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did Fr Collins today aswell. Well done to all involved. Will be a course that will get fast times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 3star

Done F.r Collins aswell great turnout for the 1st one. Well done to all and thanks to all the volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Another PB today in Fr Collins. It's a lovely modern park that is ideal for parkrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I got a pretty decent time. Ranked pretty high (15th) due to the fewer numbers than the Malahide one. I think I will try the St. Anne's and the Poppintree ones soon and then decide which I prefer, or just mix them up so that it doesn't get too repetitive.

Wasn't able for a long run back post parkrun today as had a bit of a cold for most of the week. So got to parkrun early and did a couple of laps before the start and trying to get the buggy passenger off to sleep. That meant that I missed the start by about 3 minutes, but due to the field then being much more spread out by the time I started catching up I completed the course in two minutes quicker than last week, although my official time is obviously slower.

Then got another lap in after finishing as well so happy with that morning out, except for all the parkrun 11th birthday cakes being gone by the time I stopped.

I really enjoyed Father Collins. Seriously fast course and a lovely park. Running a new pb made me enjoy it even more

I really enjoyed Father Collins. Seriously fast course and a lovely park. Running a new pb made me enjoy it even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Did Fr Collins too. Lovely park. Very well organised event, thanks to all involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement