Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Did Tramore Valley Parkrun (Dash in the Trash!) in Cork this morning. Big congrats to Opus and co to get this going. Great event and good testing course. Will be back again to do it, albeit not hungover this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Father Collins was great. Such a fast course. Perfect conditions today too. I broke my parkrun pb by a lot today

Good luck to both Donabate and Colin Glen starting this Saturday. I hope to get to both at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Tramore Valley parkrun is cancelled this Sat, info here.

Perhaps a chance for some parkrun tourism to one of the other events in Cork :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

First time visit to Poppintree parkrun this morning. Lovely flat course and nice park. And as always at parkrun a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Definitely one I would do again.

Made me want to do more parkrun tourism!!

PS and they are celebrating their first birthday on Halloween and encouraged everyone to bring people along!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    First time visit to Poppintree parkrun this morning. Lovely flat course and nice park. And as always at parkrun a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Definitely one I would do again.

Made me want to do more parkrun tourism!!

PS and they are celebrating their first birthday on Halloween and encouraged everyone to bring people along!

Next time try one that's not so flat (and on the other side of the city....) :D:D

Due to me not understanding Polish, I missed my run on Saturday by showing up at 9am for a run that had moved to 8:30. This means no cake in Porterstown on Saturday, as my 100th has been pushed back a week.

Still undecided about Saturday - Porterstown or Navan? When Navan says some is on grass, do we know how much is on grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Awwwww. Simon I,m devastated for you - I can imagine how that felt missing out on 99...Navan only has a small part of the start on grass as far as I know - after that its tarmac all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

opus wrote: »
    Tramore Valley parkrun is cancelled this Sat, info here.

Perhaps a chance for some parkrun tourism to one of the other events in Cork :)

Is it back on this Saturday (17th) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

viperlogic wrote: »
    Is it back on this Saturday (17th) ?

Just got confirmation this afternoon, we're back up & running for Sat 17th :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looking forward to doing Father Collins again tomorrow, last race (sorry run) before DCM15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Limerick Parkrun to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks, looks like everything is ready to go this time so looking forward to seeing one arrive here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done to edisonolmy on claiming the first place honours in the inaugural Porterstown Parkrun. I didn't run due to injury, and in fact ended up volunteering literally at the last minute :D maybe next week ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That was an enjoyable run around Lees Road parkrun this morning. Very nice trail route, but was tough work up the hills with the buggy. Pushing the buggy made it one of my harder efforts for a while. Got 3rd finisher with the baby half an arms length in front. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another fab morning in St Anne's today. Decided to give my new DCM pacer outfit a runout and was rewarded with a nice PB. Cheers to killerz and the crew for another flawless event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Well done to the Skeleton Crew who managed a sunny Hartstown this morning - maybe some of the usual suspects were off to Porterstown. Thanks anyway, well done as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Murph_D wrote: »
    Another fab morning in St Anne's today. Decided to give my new DCM pacer outfit a runout and was rewarded with a nice PB. Cheers to killerz and the crew for another flawless event.

Congrats on the PB, Murph! Cracking day for a run, park looked lovely this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

robinph wrote: »
    That was an enjoyable run around Lees Road parkrun this morning. Very nice trail route, but was tough work up the hills with the buggy. Pushing the buggy made it one of my harder efforts for a while. Got 3rd finisher with the baby half an arms length in front. :)

You passed me on the grass just a bit before the finish line (I still had another lap to go :o )...you were making it look like easy work, not hard :eek:. Congrats on being 3rd finisher :)

Nice of you to volunteer at the last minute at Porterstown Wubble. It was a lovely morning for the inaugural and finishing first made it even better. Nice enough route, quite a narrow start though. I thought it was very much like Shanganagh.

On a related note, the "19:59" you shouted out for the 4th place finisher was rounded up to 20:00 on the official results. there was some swearing in the car on the way back up north.

What's the anticipated start date for Limerick. Nothing usually starts in December does it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did not get a text this week, no big deal just wondering if it was just me or more widespread...?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did not get a text this week, no big deal just wondering if it was just me or more widespread...?

Actually, now that you mention it, I didn't either?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

No text for me this week or last either. Again no big deal - more for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Knocked 30 seconds of my old PB, well impressed. 22.30 now it stands, would love to try for under 20mins in future, but I'm really only running once a week now, squash season has re started so might be next summer before I can get stuck into that time.
    Thanks again to all at Marley, it was another lovely morning for a run. Oh and thanks to my mate who played pace setter for me for the 1st 3kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Limerick Parkrun to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks, looks like everything is ready to go this time so looking forward to seeing one arrive here.:)

Looking forward to Parkrun in Limerick - hope it gets out of the blocks soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So then Dublin parkrunners, sell me your event.

Looking for one that is "get-to-able" from the centre of Dublin on the weekend of DCM. We will have a car, but a walk and trip on the DART isn't out of the question. One that will be nice and easy for me to push the buggy round without hills would be great, but the most essential feature is a good coffee/ cake shop nearby for refreshments afterwards.

Whilst all parkruns are equal, some do have better cakes than others. ;)

So, have you made up your mind yet Robin?
    Marthastew is bringin Rice Krispie buns to Cabinteely on Saturday for the pre DCM carbo-loading of visiting parkrun tourists ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

menoscemo wrote: »
    So, have you made up your mind yet Robin?
    Marthastew is bringin Rice Krispie buns to Cabinteely on Saturday for the pre DCM carbo-loading of visiting parkrun tourists ;)

Yeah robin let us know where you decided upon and I'll try make it out too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Celbridge this Saturday anyone?? Nice to be there at the first one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Tempting. I have Malahide, St. Anne's, Fr. Collins on my "I was there" list, always room for more. :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm planning to be at Celbridge. 2 laps in a lovely setting - told it's basically flat. And it'll be my 100th, so I plan to bring cake

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yeah robin let us know where you decided upon and I'll try make it out too.

I'll be heading to Malahide this week for a jog around with the buggy.

We didn't get the text message this week either, but thought it might have been due to the international status of our registration confusing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Parkrun in Limerick - hope it gets out of the blocks soon.

I still don't think UL is great for it, especially if you get numbers of 100+. There's some lovely routes, but not really any that loop back on themselves nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I'll be heading to Malahide this week for a jog around with the buggy.

We didn't get the text message this week either, but thought it might have been due to the international status of our registration confusing things.

Cool, will see if we can make it out and meet for a coffee/cake/breakfast roll after. I'll let you know either way Friday evening

Was a great run around Malahide this morning. Very enjoyable course and excellent coffee shop for refreshments afterwards. I even got a shout out before the start, thanks. :)

Always nice to do different courses and see how different parkruns do things but are still essentially the same thing. A lot of the courses I normally do are some variation of a run around football pitches, nice to do routes around parkland trails. Best bit was Mrs robinph got a post baby pb. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Ran Fr Collins parkrun today. Nice course. Nice people. Thanks. I'll be back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

Castletown House parkrun in Celbridge launched today. Easy two lap course with beautiful scenery. Nice to have trails rather than tarmac for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

First parkrun today :) Finally got around to it, practically on my own back door :o
    Had a problem printing my barcode off so scribbled it on a piece of paper at the last minute. Forgot I had said scribble in my pocket and just about managed to gasp 'no barcode' when finished. Luckily someone sent me back with the scribble and my time and position was recorded. A slow day at Shanganagh parkrun, probably due to a certain event on Monday, but was pleased enough ;) with my 3rd overall and second F position.

Castletown was lovely. I found the trial a bit energy sapping but took off way too fast again. It's on my `would come back' list.

It was my 100th run, and the run director made a fuss, which was nice, especially as I'm not local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Ran my first Parkrun in Poppintree on Saturday morning. First running event of any kind for me since primary school, maybe 30years ago. Friendly helpful people at the start.
    Doing a bit of running lately, hoping to do the Stook 10mile in Kilkenny in November as it goes past my parents house. Have been doing 2 x 5k a week and a 10k two weeks ago. Doubt it's enough training.

Will do this Parkrun every Saturday possible now and probably run to and back from my house to get used to the longer distances. Great to run with other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Gave Porterstown a go on Saturday. Maybe not the flattest one around but a nice three laps. Only the second week, so hopefully it'll be a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    First parkrun today :) Finally got around to it, practically on my own back door :o
    Had a problem printing my barcode off so scribbled it on a piece of paper at the last minute. Forgot I had said scribble in my pocket and just about managed to gasp 'no barcode' when finished. Luckily someone sent me back with the scribble and my time and position was recorded. A slow day at Shanganagh parkrun, probably due to a certain event on Monday, but was pleased enough ;) with my 3rd overall and second F position.
    My wife and I ran at Shanganagh on Saturday as well (my 20th run :)); we were well impressed by how fast you and the other lady set off! It's a really enjoyable run I think, we're actually closer to Cabinteely as the crow flies but for ease of parking and accessibility from the M50 I think Shanganagh pips it.

Will be missing next week but hopefully I will be down at the family home in Knocknacarra in two weeks time so will notch up another run there.

Also planning to get my first international Parkrun under the belt next May, gonna be in Melbourne for a wedding and will try to run at 7.30am on the morning of the big day :) Hoped that Hong Kong might have a run as we're there in the meantime but no luck just yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

De Bhál wrote: »
    Ran my first Parkrun in Poppintree on Saturday morning. First running event of any kind for me since primary school, maybe 30years ago. Friendly helpful people at the start.
    Doing a bit of running lately, hoping to do the Stook 10mile in Kilkenny in November as it goes past my parents house. Have been doing 2 x 5k a week and a 10k two weeks ago. Doubt it's enough training.

I would try to get in at least 1 or preferably 3 longer runs before the 10 mile. Not neccessarily the full distance but you should try for a 13/14K. 10-16K is a big jump

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

What a fantastic weekend of running. The inaugural Castletown parkrun which is a must visit as its a two lap trail through the very scenic and well kept parklands. Took it handy, and had some craic with many regulars from Griffeen parkrun there for the event, paced myself as running the big one n Dublin yesterday and happy with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would try to get in at least 1 or preferably 3 longer runs before the 10 mile. Not neccessarily the full distance but you should try for a 13/14K. 10-16K is a big jump
    Thanks for the advice. My house is about 4k from poppintree park so that would be 13. I'll do that Saturday.

If you stopped over in Singapore instead of Hong Kong, you could get a parkrun in. Sonia O'Sullivan is a regular at Albert Park in Melbourne. I was there a couple of years ago - I had registered for parkrun but hadn't started running, so missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stiobhan

Yes, my brother Seán did the Singapore parkrun earlier this year. Starts earlier in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Stiobhan wrote: »
    Yes, my brother Seán did the Singapore parkrun earlier this year. Starts earlier in the morning...

Singapore is hot hot hot.
    Check the 'haze' status at this time of the year. Indonesia burn forests around Sept / Oct and the smoke causes pollution in Singapore for weeks. This year it's very bad and Parkrun gets cancelled if the air pollution index goes above a safe level. Very flat run & very friendly because so many visitors do it - but it's hot - did I mention that before??

I would imagine 7am in Singapore on the coldest day of the year would be hotter than our hottest day of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Singapore is hot hot hot.
    Check the 'haze' status at this time of the year. Indonesia burn forests around Sept / Oct and the smoke causes pollution in Singapore for weeks. This year it's very bad and Parkrun gets cancelled if the air pollution index goes above a safe level. Very flat run & very friendly because so many visitors do it - but it's hot - did I mention that before??

What's the heat like tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

around 25 degrees C at the start time - check out their FB page - they are good at giving updates on the haze https://www.facebook.com/eastcoastparkrun

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement