Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Humidity would have more of an effect I think. Close to 100 per cent, even at that time of day. I reckon it'd be one to tick off rather than blast it for a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlacknWhite86

Hey, just wondering if anybody has run the Cabinteely or Marley Park runs, and if so what are they like.. hill-wise etc? Live in the south inner city so these two are the most accessible for me! Apologies, if this has already been discussed earlier!
    Haven t got much experience doing 5kms but did the Grant Thornton 5km in 17:57 so would like to try an beat that if I can!!

Thanks!

pac_man wrote: »
    The course in Marley would be a fair bit quicker than the one in Cabinteely. I'm guessing here but your time in Cabinteely would be worth at least a minute compared to Marley but both are nice parks in their own right. Given that you live in the south inner city,would Tymon not also be an option?

Ya, that could be an option too. Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pac_man wrote: »
    The course in Marley would be a fair bit quicker than the one in Cabinteely. I'm guessing here but your time in Cabinteely would be worth at least a minute compared to Marley but both are nice parks in their own right. Given that you live in the south inner city,would Tymon not also be an option?

As an organiser of Cabinteely, it is probably a minute slower than Marlay at the 20-23 minute level. But it's a great test in it's own right. Tymon is probably a little slower than Marlay IMO.

All 3 are hillier and longer (;) wasn't it a short course?) than the Grant Thornton though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

So which Parkrun is perceived to be the quickest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So which Parkrun is perceived to be the quickest?

in Dublin? St Annes in Raheny, I think

menoscemo wrote: »
    As an organiser of Cabinteely, it is probably a minute slower than Marlay at the 20-23 minute level. But it's a great test in it's own right. Tymon is probably a little slower than Marlay IMO.

All 3 are hillier and longer (;) wasn't it a short course?) than the Grant Thornton though.

Cheers! No worries about a few hills sure, what goes up must come down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

RayCun wrote: »
    in Dublin? St Annes in Raheny, I think

Poppintree is damn quick too but probably a bit prone to windy conditions as it's very open on one side of the 3 lap course. Smaller crowds in St. Anne's means less chance of being spurred on to eke a few extra seconds too.:cool:

Father Collins is quick but has more twists and turns than St Anne's, which is quick too. Up north, Vicky Park in Belfast is the quickest, if they do the 3 big laps original course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Just a quick mention about Tralee Parkrun....Saturday's run is Fancy Dress, if anyone is in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did Highbury Fields this morning - flattest of the ones around me because my back is complaining on hills lately. 27 and shrapnel, can't complain at 20 weeks! I did manage to beat the penguin, knight and the American football player but soundly beaten by the 118 118 guys ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Did Highbury Fields this morning - flattest of the ones around me because my back is complaining on hills lately. 27 and shrapnel, can't complain at 20 weeks! I did manage to beat the penguin, knight and the American football player but soundly beaten by the 118 118 guys ;)

Also did Highbury Fields this morning! The poor penguin looked a bit overheated by the end. On the comeback trail after a long time out and managed 26.04 this morning - 2 whole minutes slower than my PB but I'll get there in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I think one of the things worth considering when looking for a fast parkrun is the depth of the field around you. For example, if you were going for a sub 20, Marlay and St. Anne's might be worth a look as both had around 20 runners going sub 20 today, so its likely you'd have a few runners to work with if you're aiming for 17-20 mins. That can really help you push on for a PB too. Just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

I have been told that some of the Parkruns have pacers at them? Anybody know which ones and when they have them? I presume it's not every week as no sign of them in Malahide when I did that a few weeks ago and I thought they had them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Haven't heard of pacers (or seen them in the U.S. or Ireland - never run UK though). Seems like it's kinda counter to the idea of it being to engage as many people as possible. But whatever....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

FeenaM wrote: »
    I have been told that some of the Parkruns have pacers at them? Anybody know which ones and when they have them? I presume it's not every week as no sign of them in Malahide when I did that a few weeks ago and I thought they had them?

Malahide have had them on occasion, St Anne's probably have them more than any, Griffeen have also had them too. Usually they'll say on their FB pages if they're planning to have pacers on a particular day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

*Cough cough* of course you would - hypothetically - be enquiring about December, not November??! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I think it's fairly random, and dependent on volunteers. For example, St.Anne's had one pacer today, for 19 minutes. Probably best to check with your local parkrun in advance if they have designated days and keep an eye on the various FB pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    *Cough cough* of course you would - hypothetically - be enquiring about December, not November??! ;):D

Absolutely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Just a note on pacers at parkrun - At Griffeen its become something of a tradition , the last Saturday of the month is pacer day , we have pacers usually from 20 minutes out to 35 minutes at 2 and a half minute intervals - pacers wear Bright orange bibs so they are identifiable and they are a huge help to our parkrunners , the feedback we have had has been uniformly positive. On a personal not , I love doing the pacing volunteer role at parkrun I find it the most rewarding as you are directly helping your fellow runners, I was gutted yesterday when I realised that the chest infection which has been dogging me for the last week was still too bad to allow me to run but thankfully another of the Griffeen stalwarts , Colin, was able to step in and pace 30 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Had a go at the Marlay Park run yesterday, really underestimated the size of the field. Was hoping for a pb as I'd heard it was a fast course, didn't realise I started with about 300 people to overtake :o

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

Tralee Parkrun has pacers every few weeks...they pace a range of times from 20mins to 35mins ish. I thought introducing pacers would damage the whole 'ethos' of our Parkrun but it certainly hasn't, if anything it has helped people to push themselves just a little bit more(those that want to push themselves).

Tralee had its most successful Parkrun yesterday with 180 runners/joggers/walkers and most of them in fancy dress!! Lots of great photos on Tralee Parkrun page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

The YOPPA wrote:
    Tralee Parkrun has pacers every few weeks...they pace a range of times from 20mins to 35mins

As far as I know, it's the last Saturday of every month that they have pacers for in Tralee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

uvox wrote: »
    Haven't heard of pacers (or seen them in the U.S. or Ireland - never run UK though). Seems like it's kinda counter to the idea of it being to engage as many people as possible. But whatever....

I have to disagree, I think it its great to have them. Its kind of the next step for people after getting on the running ladder via parkrun. Some people do want to push for a time and if a pacer helps them achieve that then great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There would usually be pacers once a month at my local event, but it's all dependant on people wanting to pace and the times people pace is entirely down to what they want to do.

When I broke 20 mins for the first time last year it was with the help of a pacer at St Annes.
    At my own home run, they dont have pacers, but the more you run it, the more you know who the 20 min runners are, who the 19 min runners are, and so forth. You can then use them to pace without them realising they are helping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

We have pacers in Griffeen last Saturday of the month, sometimes it the same regulars who do the pacing, and it's one way to contribute as a volunteer. It's also a great way for someone to take on the pacing responsibility and feel the satisfaction of "bringing the runners home", probably the most enjoyable volunteer role after Run Director. Highly recommended!

Recently invested in a Garmin Forerunner 10, very comfy and easy to use but have to say i'm very disappointed with the quality of the GPS receiver, even compared with my old smartphone with strava. The file from my parkrun today was a good 300/400m short of the actual distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Recently invested in a Garmin Forerunner 10, very comfy and easy to use but have to say i'm very disappointed with the quality of the GPS receiver, even compared with my old smartphone with strava. The file from my parkrun today was a good 300/400m short of the actual distance.

Don't think the weather conditions helped this morning. I have a edge 500 in my pocket and the recorded loops today were well outside the actual course. I put it down to the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What were you comparing it against? From my own experience of both Id believe the gamin to be more accurate than the smart phone.

Apologies the parkrun reference just registered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I saw a picture of a parkrun and it went through a forest, however, have no idea where it was, think it might have been in Dublin, anyone have any idea where it is? Looking to try and spread my wings and try more cross country parkruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I saw a picture of a parkrun and it went through a forest, however, have no idea where it was, think it might have been in Dublin, anyone have any idea where it is? Looking to try and spread my wings and try more cross country parkruns.

Just checked again and found out that it's Ardgillan, looks good, anyone tried there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I've ran in ardgillian but not in a parkrun yet . It's a nice spot for a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Seannew1 wrote: »

Lees Road in Ennis is 95% in the Forest/Woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

The Muppet wrote: »
    I've ran in ardgillian but not in a parkrun yet . It's a nice spot for a run.

It's been a Parkrun for approaching on 2 years.

Ardgillan has the toughest finish of any parkrun in Ireland, which is why I'm in no rush to try in just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Any news on a launch in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Limerick is supposed to start in December.......

The only free date in December, I understand, for a new parkrun to start is Dec 26. it'll be up to the core team to decide whether that would be a good idea or not.

Of the four or five new events being talked about, Limerick is understood to be the closest. There should be more in January.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

parkrun Italia and France seem to have popped up recently:

http://www.parkrun.it/
    http://www.parkrun.fr/

It is gradually starting to spread to new countries outside of the core existing ones. Will be great when you can go anywhere in the world and still find a local parkrun.

Still just the one event in France and Italy, although Bordeaux and Toulouse being lined up, just in time for the Euros. Better qualify first I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

edisonolmy wrote: »
    The only free date in December, I understand, for a new parkrun to start is Dec 26. it'll be up to the core team to decide whether that would be a good idea or not.

There is a 5mile & 10 mile race in caherdavin that morning.

France looks like it just might take off next year - Paris parkrun launched a FB page today

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

Strange name for a parkrun, do they only expect one parkrun in Paris.

LiamMcC wrote: »
    Strange name for a parkrun, do they only expect one parkrun in Paris.

They rename them when required. Glasgow and Leeds at least used to exist until a couple of years ago. Probably makes sense whilst they are still building the brand consciousness in new countries as well to keep the city name for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

Difficult to see parkrun taking off in Italy. They already have a nationwide network of non competitive runs that take place every Sunday morning. These runs don't have an exact start time, aren't timed and usually offer a variety of distances - 6k, 12k and 18k. That cost approx €2 and you get refreshments, local produce (jam, biscuits and vino!) and a free newspaper! They are part of an Italian Sport for All movement FIASP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What is the problem with setting up Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

limerick Parkrun facebook page setup. due to start in December 201?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Enjoyed some international parkrun tourism this morning... Amager Faelled in Copenhagen. Nice event, very simple setup... Not a patch on St Anne's of course :)

Me and my two amigos had a go at the New Ross parkrun this morning. Lovely friendly group, only about 25 or so there. Lovely picturesque course as you would expect from JFK arboretum, but a very tough one too. Enjoyed it very much, and managed my first top ten too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement