Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Highbury Fields again this morning for me - shockingly enough I was a little faster than 2 weeks ago! Weather was pretty grim but there was cake at the end (4th anniversary) so that was nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Tackled Oldbridge this morning, place was extremely tricky with muck and water. Had to go completely off course in most places to not fall on my arse, consequently a good 2 minutes off my PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Amager Faelled looks nice. I've done the other two in Copenhagen. I could have done Amager Faelled as part of a sanctioned double when I was there last, but was too tired

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

the 1st Junior parkrun in the south will start on Sunday, Dec 13th at 9.30 in Kenure woods, Rush - I think is a wonderful achievement and wish the best of luck to all concerned , jp events page will be live soon on the parkrun.ie site soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A young man set an amazing course record at Johnstown this morning, 15:16, one of the fastest at any parkrun. Was amazing to see him streak past me at the second lap. Saw him at the finish, wasn't even out of breath, chatting away to the timekeepers. Bit inspiring!

fastest today only 2 sub 16 min runs and only 14 seconds off the record which is 15.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A young man set an amazing course record at Johnstown this morning, 15:16, one of the fastest at any parkrun. Was amazing to see him streak past me at the second lap. Saw him at the finish, wasn't even out of breath, chatting away to the timekeepers. Bit inspiring!

Third fastest ever according to their FB page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Gael23 wrote: »
    Third fastest ever according to their FB page

Very impressive athlete, heard him talking to the timekeepers when I passed the finish line about 2 minutes later (before I did another lap) and he sounded relatively fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just wondering if there's a discrepancy on your Parkrun result is there anything that can be done about it?
    (Don't mind the late night posting, my query isn't keeping me awake at night!! :D )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just wondering if there's a discrepancy on your Parkrun result is there anything that can be done about it?
    (Don't mind the late night posting, my query isn't keeping me awake at night!! :D )

It is possible for the results to be fixed.

However, depending on the size of the event, the nature of the error and the mood of the run director volunteers they may or may not change things for you.
    Try emailing them with the error and see what they can do. Remember that they do all this for free so be nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Run director was able to change my time about 3 weeks after the event, as for whatever reason it was recorded about ~45 seconds quicker than reality which was going to make getting a future PB very difficult.
    He changed it to the highest time which wouldn't need a re-sort of finishing positions, which he said would make a change trickier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Run director was able to change my time about 3 weeks after the event, as for whatever reason it was recorded about ~45 seconds quicker than reality which was going to make getting a future PB very difficult.
    He changed it to the highest time which wouldn't need a re-sort of finishing positions, which he said would make a change trickier.

This usually happens when the person with the stopwatch accidentally presses the split-button twice when one runner crosses the finishing line. It means that the next finisher will get the time of the accidental second pressed split-button, and every other finisher will similarly get a faster recorded time.

Alternatively, if the timing person forgets to hit the button as you cross the line, you'll end up with the time of the person who finishes next i.e a slower time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

An_Reathai wrote: »
    This usually happens when the person with the stopwatch accidentally presses the split-button twice when one runner crosses the finishing line. It means that the next finisher will get the time of the accidental second pressed split-button, and every other finisher will similarly get a faster recorded time.

Alternatively, if the timing person forgets to hit the button as you cross the line, you'll end up with the time of the person who finishes next i.e a slower time.

The why you should always use 2 timekeepers

ger664 wrote: »
    The why you should always use 2 timekeepers

I agree but now and then there aren't enough volunteers or what has happened a couple of times is that both time keepers have made an error somewhere along the line.
    What can happen too is that runners who have already finished go back on the course and "finish" a second time with a slower friend. The clock mistakenly gets pressed by both timekeepers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Or it could be caused by someone who crossed the finish line but then jumps out before they receive a barcode. Or those lovely people who take a barcode and bring it home with them.

Skid X wrote: »
    Or it could be caused by someone who crossed the finish line but then jumps out before they receive a barcode. Or those lovely people who take a barcode and bring it home with them.

That's really annoying when it happens but it shouldn't affect results e.g if the person who finished tenth takes home the tenth placed token rather than getting it scanned, that just means that their result won't get registered. The people who finish 11th, 12th etc. should still get the 11th, 12th tokens and the correct times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It's actually easily fixed in the results processing stage if you can identify where the mistake was made and them move everyone up/down a few positions That's why you should always let the organisers know if your time is way off. Chances are it's not just you that is affected!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Doing Sligo next Saturday. The previous comments on this thread included 'hilly' and 'challenging'. Does anyone know how it compares to Lee's road?

Thanks all. It's not just me who was effected. I know the time I came in at, the person with the stop watch told me as I came in. I know the person who came in behind me about 30 secs later. That person is showing as being placed a few places ahead of me at a time a few mins faster than what we finished at. I'm showing at a time a few mins slower than what I finished at.
    One other person I spoke to said their time was correct but they were a bit quicker than us!

• Advertisement

Now I was having a slow enough run anyway so it wouldn't affect a pb or an age group record or anything like that!
    I just would feel bad complaining to the race director as I queried something already with them a month or two ago so I don't want to be annoying them again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks all. It's not just me who was effected. I know the time I came in at, the person with the stop watch told me as I came in. I know the person who came in behind me about 30 secs later. That person is showing as being placed a few places ahead of me at a time a few mins faster than what we finished at. I'm showing at a time a few mins slower than what I finished at.
    One other person I spoke to said their time was correct but they were a bit quicker than us!

Ah in that case it sounds like a simple enough error, the tokens were probably in the wrong order you you were given the placing of someone behind you while your friend was given the placing of someone ahead. This actually happened at our parkrun a few weeks ago and the RD was able to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

We try to use a "checker" every week, whose job is to run up and down between the timer and the token hander-outer, checking that they are in-sync. Problems can be fixed quickly if they happen.

Sunny dayz. I'd say there is no harm is querying the time. If you feel you are imposing, then an offer to volunteer would be much appreciated..

I enjoyed both Lees Road and Sligo. Both are challenging enough although Sligo is entirely on tarmac. Lees Road is the more scenic and I think has more hills given it's three laps to Sligo's two. the out and back section of Sligo is undulating too. have a look on Google street view and it'll give you an idea.

plodder wrote: »
    Sunny dayz. I'd say there is no harm is querying the time. If you feel you are imposing, then an offer to volunteer would be much appreciated..

Now that I'm a run director, I'm more than happy to help people who have volunteered before when they raise an issue with me.

Limerick to start on Dec 12, as per latest monthly newsletter

http://www.parkrun.ie/news/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

edisonolmy wrote: »
    I enjoyed both Lees Road and Sligo. Both are challenging enough although Sligo is entirely on tarmac. Lees Road is the more scenic and I think has more hills given it's three laps to Sligo's two. the out and back section of Sligo is undulating too. have a look on Google street view and it'll give you an idea.
    Thanks. I did Lee's Road before and enjoyed it. Didn't do myself justice as I missed the start so was playing catchup all through. Will attempt it again on Dec 5th. Glad to hear Sligo is not so bad in comparison:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Anyone try a beep test to see if parkrun got them fitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

For runners based on Dublin northside,

father collins park (balgriffin/donoughmede area) is a newish run,but worth a go.

the park is quiet at 0930am,,flat course
    but ,numbers are small at the moment
    ,30 ish.

park only opens at 9am,so bear that in mind re warm up.

if a few of the st annes or malahide regulars are up for a change of scenery,
    give it a go.

The organisers should look at a cafe near by for post run meet which could help to boost numbers ...?

charkee wrote: »

park only opens at 9am,so bear that in mind re warm up.

if a few of the st annes or malahide regulars are up for a change of scenery,
    give it a go.

The organisers should look at a cafe near by for post run meet which could help to boost numbers ...?
    The week I did it there was an offer in Centra where coffee was €1 and a room was available to drink it and chat with other runners. Maybe that was a once off though as it was week 1.

Nice course alright and is good for quick times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The week I did it there was an offer in Centra where coffee was €1 and a room was available to drink it and chat with other runners. Maybe that was a once off though as it was week 1.

Did Fr. Collins park for the first time on Saturday. It was my 17 year old daughters first one ever, and a couple of the volunteers and runners who had finished, came back and ran the last 500 m with us. Such a nice gesture.

The tea is on is the clongriffen hub, and happens each week apparently.

Very flat and fast IMO

• Advertisement

My big question for where to do a parkrun, is there a place to eat nearby, as in 5 mins walk from the finish line. My mates and I run for exercise but a big part is to meet up and chat, so marley park is great for a run and the Café for breakfast and a chat after.
    We're all 3 of us at different levels of fitness so we don't get to chat much during the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

SIgned up for parkrun last week. Currently doing the couch to 5k programme so hope to have my first parkrun in January

Just posting to say I've read most of this thread and there's plenty of inspirational folks here. Well done to all who volunteer their time so people can have some semi-competitive exercise!

Fr Collins is a near perfect venue for a parkrun. Lovely, flat, fast course too.

Anyone interested in a `double' this New Years Day - head north - Comber on at 9:30am, followed by Stormont at 11am - and both count towards your milestone t-shirts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are 4 parkruns within striking distance of home, but none of them are running on Christmas Day, and a couple of them at least are also not running on the 26th, others have not decided yet by the looks of it. Would otherwise be a good chance to get 5 parkruns done within two weeks with the doubles on New Years day. Think the way the days will fall next year there won't be any extra runs on. That 250 tshirt is going to take some time. :(

Oh well, I'll just have to remember to wear my reindeer onesie the week before. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Doubles on New Years day, how does this work..?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Fr Collins is a near perfect venue for a parkrun. Lovely, flat, fast course too.

Yes I agree, have done 5 of them already. Great course lovely park.

Doubles: New Year is the only day of the year that you are allowed to gain 2 running credits on the same day. The reason it is possible to run twice in the same day is because event teams are given permission to start their event at any time between 9am and 11am. It doesn't have to be the usual 9:30am start time, although can be.

So, we deliberately chose to start Stormont at 11am this Jan 1, having spoken to Comber who plan to start at 9:30am. A few runners will do Comber first, then come over to us and run Stormont.

It's a big thing in England, where many events coordinate to make it possible. I ran 2 last year - 1 at 9am and 1 at 10:30am. It has never happened here yet, but if events close to each other coordinated it, there could be doubles in Dublin for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Yes, that offer is on every week from the nice folk in Centra once you present your barcode at the till. The room is called the Hub in Clongriffin and everyone is very welcome to come along and have their coffee/tea in the Hub. There's no cafe in Clongriffin as of yet. There's plenty of parking around the Park and the trip from the Dart station can be your warm up. I think its a fast course too and that seems to be the general consensus.

And yes, I'm one of the folk that helps out at Fr Collins btw:)

I ran my fastest ever 5k - parkrun or road - at Fr Collins. Still measured it slightly long, but I may have gone wide on a couple of corners

What about Marley Park, it seems kinda hills to be considered a fast course?

• Advertisement

Doubles: New Year is the only day of the year that you are allowed to gain 2 running credits on the same day. The reason it is possible to run twice in the same day is because event teams are given permission to start their event at any time between 9am and 11am. It doesn't have to be the usual 9:30am start time, although can be.

So, we deliberately chose to start Stormont at 11am this Jan 1, having spoken to Comber who plan to start at 9:30am. A few runners will do Comber first, then come over to us and run Stormont.

It's a big thing in England, where many events coordinate to make it possible. I ran 2 last year - 1 at 9am and 1 at 10:30am. It has never happened here yet, but if events close to each other coordinated it, there could be doubles in Dublin for example.

OK - So the only parkrun that I suspect will be on on Christmas day in the Dublin area so far is Waterstown , they have the 25th listed under Future roster- I am hopeful various parkruns with close proximity to each can organise a dual run on New years day...stay tuned for updates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

gsi300024v wrote: »
    What about Marley Park, it seems kinda hills to be considered a fast course?

The hills in Marlay Park are nothing compared to most parkruns.

Waterstown truly is the hill king from my running so far though. Love waterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The hills in Marlay Park are nothing compared to most parkruns.

Waterstown truly is the hill king from my running so far though. Love waterstown.

I think Ardgillan trumps Waterstown for hills. Fab course and location but very tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I think Ardgillan trumps Waterstown for hills. Fab course and location but very tough.
    Yeah, Ardgillan wins, for having one continuous hill. Cabinteely comes in a close second, for dividing the hill climb into three torturous separate sections. You know what they say though... Hills make you.... your legs bigger...

370308.png

Didn't think that Parkruns would run on St. Stephen's day. Got a message last night to say that my local one will be on. In two minds about doing it. Running at 9.30 am on St. Stephen's morning - actually a bit worried whether we will be ok to drive to the course at that time after a few drinking on Christmas Day. Neither of us go mad with the drink but still.
    Plus the local GAA club are doing the Goal Mile at noon so I would like to support that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »

is this a hills competition? Cabinteely is definitely a better workout though as MORE hills make super runners ;)

Firedance wrote: »
    is this a hills competition? Cabinteely is definitely a better workout though as MORE hills make super runners ;)

Yes. ;)

Ashton Court in Bristol has about 100m+ of elevation gain in the first 2.5km.

I don't care how good hills make you, I avoid that course as much as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Didn't think that Parkruns would run on St. Stephen's day. Got a message last night to say that my local one will be on. In two minds about doing it. Running at 9.30 am on St. Stephen's morning - actually a bit worried whether we will be ok to drive to the course at that time after a few drinking on Christmas Day. Neither of us go mad with the drink but still.
    Plus the local GAA club are doing the Goal Mile at noon so I would like to support that as well.

I was looking and see waterstown are running on the 25th and 26th. Also notice that Castletown parkrun are not running on 26th or the 2nd

Link for what parkruns are going on Christmas day and new years day
    http://www.parkrun.ie/christmas-compendium/

the Falcarragh parkrun in Co. Donegal has just gone live with their facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/Falcarragh-parkrun-942876972433744/ ) no news yet of a start date

• Advertisement

and it never rains but it pours .... parkrun comes to Tramore Co. Waterford - if its the route I think then this will be a great tourist parkrun...,. love tramore anyway .... with parkrun its even better...https://www.facebook.com/Tramore-parkrun-Waterford-151134528578875/?pnref=story

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement