Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Wheels in motion to set up Waterfords first event in Tramore, about 10 miles from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

robinph wrote: »
    Ashton Court in Bristol has about 100m+ of elevation gain in the first 2.5km..

I ran this one a couple of months ago. I was ready to throw in the towel it was that brutal, but the last 2.5k are downhill and wonderful. I did my final 2K in under 7 mins.

Ashton Court was also the scene of parkrun's first fatality.

Good to see Donegal and Waterford getting in on the act. Limerick coming on board this month too, and apparently Roscommon ready to start next month - only a handful of counties left without one.

This Active Ireland, run the 32 counties in 2016, initiative - parkruns count. Otherwise it could get quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Didn't think that Parkruns would run on St. Stephen's day. Got a message last night to say that my local one will be on. In two minds about doing it. Running at 9.30 am on St. Stephen's morning - actually a bit worried whether we will be ok to drive to the course at that time after a few drinking on Christmas Day. Neither of us go mad with the drink but still.
    Plus the local GAA club are doing the Goal Mile at noon so I would like to support that as well.

This might be of some assistance.:pac:

This link provides an all the info you need to know about festive parkruns in the north, if anyone fancies a trip.

I'm told by its author that it should update automatically whenever the official parkrun sites update

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/194A-t42gVNEHOCZN5akYwapOP54Q8qH4Dmb0QGwm7tU/pubhtml?gid=455110257&single=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

I see that Griffeen is having a parkrun on New Year's Day at 9:30, but is there likely to be another later one to allow a New Year's Day double in Dublin? I'd be tempted to take a trip up to Dublin for that and get 2 parkruns in one trip, or even stay over and get 3 on the 1st & 2nd.

Looks like the big 3: Marlay, Malahide and St Anne's aren't having one that day, so what are the chances of one of the other runs taking place? Anyone in the parkrun teams out there know if there's much interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I see that Griffeen is having a parkrun on New Year's Day at 9:30, but is there likely to be another later one to allow a New Year's Day double in Dublin? I'd be tempted to take a trip up to Dublin for that and get 2 parkruns in one trip, or even stay over and get 3 on the 1st & 2nd.

Looks like the big 3: Marlay, Malahide and St Anne's aren't having one that day, so what are the chances of one of the other runs taking place? Anyone in the parkrun teams out there know if there's much interest?

I think the parkrun teams deserve a well earned break over Christmas & new year :)

I'm going to use the old clipboard and guilt approach to filling the future roster for Stormont over the next few weeks. Anyone running the double on Jan 1, I want to see them in hi-vis on Jan 2.

If it was up to me I'd round up all those regular runners who haven't volunteered all year (we all know who they are) and make them organise the Christmas and New Year runs - but I don't think we're allowed to do that!

I'm sure there are those who don't volunteer because they'd be afraid they'd mess something up. I managed to press the wrong button on the stopwatch at one stage last Saturday, and we also had a couple of minutes when the timer and tokens were out of sync, due to one runner stopping at the line and then sitting down, while others finished behind him and took chips. It's all part of the fun, and you learn as you go along. No need to panic.

I might actually announce that Boxing Day will be going ahead "but only if we get 10 volunteers from those assembled here today. If not, it ain't happening folks".

• Advertisement

Or maybe I'll give a panto-style points table update - read out people's names and reveal how many times they have run (hooray) and volunteered (booo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    I'm sure there are those who don't volunteer because they'd be afraid they'd mess something up.
    I felt the same before the first time I volunteered. Scared you will mess up. But no, it was great to get the know other people as you chat to the other volunteers before and after the run. And saying hello to everyone passing by and providing encouragement. The race director will make sure that all goes well anyway ;)
    I always make sure to thank all those who volunteer each time I parkrun. I sometimes volunteer at motorsport events and it makes such a difference when participants and spectators thank you at the end of a long day standing out in the cold and rain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think communication could be clearer. Instead of a vague request for people to volunteer actually say 1 in 10 runs (or whatever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If its mandatory, it isn't voluntary.

I know it's a pisser when the same people have to do everything but I think it goes a little against the idea of park run if people can't just turn up and run

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think communication could be clearer. Instead of a vague request for people to volunteer actually say 1 in 10 runs (or whatever).

The parkrun organisation are very much against the concept of requiring people to do anything though. Just need to keep telling other people you are stood next to in the barcode scanning queue how awesome volunteering is and that it's really easy and that they should consider giving it a go some time.

I know you can't force people into volunteering, all you can do is ask. When we were discussing the topic of parkrunner of the month, the event director made it clear "it won't ever go to someone who hasn't volunteered". Moot now that Sweatshop have pulled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Lees Road Ennis is off tomorrow due to Weather Alert. Just when I was going to make my long awaited debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Good to see Donegal and Waterford getting in on the act. Limerick coming on board this month too, and apparently Roscommon ready to start next month - only a handful of counties left without one.

This Active Ireland, run the 32 counties in 2016, initiative - parkruns count. Otherwise it could get quite expensive.
    Hi,

where will the venue in Limerick be? is it starting this weekend?

Thanks

Limerick starts at UL on Dec 12

http://www.parkrun.ie/limerick/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ger664 wrote: »
    Lees Road Ennis is off tomorrow due to Weather Alert. Just when I was going to make my long awaited debut

Ah crap. I was gonna do that one too. Is Clarisford on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

The only ones I can see at this point that have canceled are Lees Road and Westport and CASTLEBLAYNEY - this may change over the course of the evening so check your local parkrun facebook page and the News section from your local parkrun on the parkrun.ie site...one or both of those sites will have an update if its thought that a particular run cannot proceed

Check social media in the morning. It's meant to be bad overnight up here, so some events might be flooded. Sometimes a run director will make a late call.

Clarisford cancelled too according to their Facebook.

Beer tonight so

Porterstown just cancelled too tbh I think they're right, safer for vols & participants as RSA are saying no unnecessary travel. Its different for the commercial races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Galway knocknacarra park run is cancelled on Sat 5th Dec due to bad weather/floods in park. Just seen notice on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ah crap. I was gonna do that one too. Is Clarisford on?

Probably is best check with them. Limerick is suposed to be running its first one as well in UL.

Our issue is its too dangerous with the wind and a risk falling trees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

From the Parkrun Ireland Facebook page (posted at 11.18pm Friday)

Well the weather is again not our friend this week , please be advised that the following parkruns are at this time are cancelled for tomorrow.

Lees Road parkrun
    Westport parkrun
    Castlebar parkrun
    Castleblayney parkrun
    Clarisford parkrun
    Knocknacarra parkrun
    Porterstown parkrun
    Waterstown parkrun

Other parkruns are assessing the situation early tomorrow morning , please check the facebook page of your local parkrun to avoid unnecessary travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

New Ross team to decide at 8am tomorrow.

<<QUOTE=Amigaman;97928933>>the Falcarragh parkrun in Co. Donegal has just gone live with their facebook page <<url deleted - since BMA is a new user>> no news yet of a start date<</QUOTE>>

Facebook page now says Jan 16 - but I assume this just means some date in Jan 2016 rather than the 16th of January. Could be quite a few starting in January with Operation Transformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

another update from parkrun Ireland Facebook

added @ 07.57 - (all off)

Dundalk parkrun
    New Ross parkrun
    Tralee parkrun
    Killarney parkrun
    Castle Demense parkrun

Other parkruns are assessing the situation early tomorrow morning , please check the facebook page of your local parkrun to avoid unnecessary travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ger664 wrote: »
    Probably is best check with them. Limerick is suposed to be running its first one as well in UL.

Our issue is its too dangerous with the wind and a risk falling trees

Limerick is starting the 12th as far as I'm aware.
    St Anne's is going ahead this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Naas parkrun went ahead this morning. Fair play to the Volunteers. Tough, tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hartstown went ahead this morning too. Real life, uncertainty about Jingle Bells, and Porterstown being cancelled, resulted in me making the short trip over the tracks. I thought it might be my lucky day when I saw only about 12 were lining up! Wind was savage. My first k was 3:55 without even trying (wind mostly behind me) and then passing the GAA pitches behind the all weather, I got hit by a 100+ km/h gust which nearly knocked me backwards....and I was leading at the time! No idea as I type what my time was. Glad I got out anyway ! Fair play to everyone brave/insane enough to take on those conditions this morning :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cabinteely went ahead too, much lower numbers than normal but conditions were actually fine for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Fr Collins went ahead, nice to see some new people too. Only one bad section with the wind as we're mainly sheltered. Had to kept chasing the finishing cones though. Well done to all who braved the conditions.

• Advertisement

37 hardy runners at Griffeen this morning - wasnt as bad as I thought it might be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

12 finishers at Hartstown this morning...must be a record for the smallest number! :) I was volunteering and could see the runners battling the wind on a slight uphill...some were literally running at a 45 degree angle ha

Fair play, it was some going all right ! I was the guy in the white MSB/St Patrick's Festival top. Even with such small numbers, setting my PB for Hartstown and beating all my Porterstown efforts, I still couldn't seal the deal! The chap that won it just sat in behind me on the particularly windy far side, and I couldn't match him once we turned for home....in fact I had to pick it up again to just about hold off the fast finishing third placed lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Fair play, it was some going all right ! I was the guy in the white MSB/St Patrick's Festival top. Even with such small numbers, setting my PB for Hartstown and beating all my Porterstown efforts, I still couldn't seal the deal! The chap that won it just sat in behind me on the particularly windy far side, and I couldn't match him once we turned for home....in fact I had to pick it up again to just about hold off the fast finishing third placed lad.
    Fair dues on setting a PB and your highest finishing position in those conditions! I had to shoot off to torture myself at the Jingle Bells run so didn't get to see the finish but from the results, it looked like a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Shanganagh went ahead this morning as well, just over 30 runners - was a volunteer today for a change.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Cabinteely went ahead too, much lower numbers than normal but conditions were actually fine for it.

Maybe I should have gone there instead of jingle bells so!!

Most went ahead up here, if not all, but numbers way down.

I see Glengarriff parkrun has a Facebook page set up now

Limerick due to start this Saturday, however:

Our parkrun course includes a section of river path along the River Shannon. Currently this section of the route is flooded due to unprecedented water levels in the river.

We are monitoring the situation with regards to Saturday's parkrun. We will keep you posted on the status.

We are seeing unprecedented levels of flooding along the River Shannon. The ESB have also had to increase the flow of water from Parteen weir as of Tuesday. This has a further impact to the water levels lower down the river. This is very unusual situation.

Please check back for future updates before travelling.

CANCELLATION: Limerick parkrun
    Unfortunately due to health and safety concerns with ongoing flooding on our parkrun route I have to cancel our parkrun on Saturday.
    Even if the water subsides it will not drop sufficiently to clear the pathway and make it safe for runners / walkers.
    I know this is disappointing for everyone but we have to consider the safety of all involved.
    Please help share with your friends so we don't have people travelling unnecessarily. Stay tuned for further updates.
    ( https://www.facebook.com/limerickparkrun/?fref=nf )
    Posted on facebook by Deirdre O'Brien - Limerick parkrun Event Director

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Disappointing as I was looking forward to it, but UL is a swamp at the moment. Hopefully, it'll be up and running soon, but with the weather the way it is, and Christmas coming up, it could be early 2016.

They say the plan at the moment is to have it start on Dec 19, but that again will depend on conditions. Selfishly, it suits me for it to be moved into 2016

New Year, new parkrun!

Their home page is now up on parkrun.ie

... and Tramore on the same day.

Hartstown was cancelled this morning. However, Porterstown went ahead, with a lineup of seven brave/crazy souls!! With lakes dotted all the way around, it felt a bit like XC in parts, and at times I wondered if I'd overdone it with a (1 mile) warmup lap beforehand. However, this time I would not be stopped in my quest for that elusive first place! After last week's near thing, this morning I led from start to finish, arms aloft as I trundled towards the chute! It's taken me over three years, so I couldn't care less about times today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Johnstown went ahead, very tough day! Windy and big puddles to dance around or just jog through. Went for the former, shouldn't have bothered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement