Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

https://www.facebook.com/griffeenvalleyparkrun/videos/577523912396540/

Great video from Griffeen Valley to show how wet it was there.

Well done to anyone who got out this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Fr Collins had 16 brave souls who ran & some brave volunteers too. Foul morning but lovely to run in despite the streams on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

14 in Tymon this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Hartstown was cancelled this morning. However, Porterstown went ahead, with a lineup of seven brave/crazy souls!! With lakes dotted all the way around, it felt a bit like XC in parts, and at times I wondered if I'd overdone it with a (1 mile) warmup lap beforehand. However, this time I would not be stopped in my quest for that elusive first place! After last week's near thing, this morning I led from start to finish, arms aloft as I trundled towards the chute! It's taken me over three years, so I couldn't care less about times today :D

Well done :) I thought at one point in cabinteely that I might get a top 3 women's result but there were 3 other faster crazies in front of me :p well done to everyone who ran, volunteered & the run directors too!

Edit, first in my age category :D ill take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

30 runners and 10 volunteers in Cabinteely this morning. Conditions were definitely worse than last week. We are a small run and only get 60-80 on good mornings so we're delighted to still be keeping half of our normal numbers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I did malahide this morning . 69 participated Twas a bit damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

We had 42 in Tramore Valley, better conditions than last week I was told by the group although still good and wet. Was my own first time running in the event and did a bit car park marshalling beforehand & token sorting afterwards, impressed that my text with the time had an extra line thanking me for volunteering, they think of everything!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's good to hear that there are people heading out to make the parkruns happen even on miserable days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'd love to have a go at Tramore but it's too far away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

fr collins in on sat 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

We had 82 at Stormont on Saturday - it was the promise of mince pies.

Tramore and Glengarriff on the same day? I'd go for Tramore, although both look nice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

chinguetti wrote: »
    Fr Collins had 16 brave souls who ran & some brave volunteers too. Foul morning but lovely to run in despite the streams on the course.

I was one of the brave 16, was actually not to bad.

Did anyone see the video of Griffeen? Should have been cancelled in conditions like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

We had 14 runners and 14 volunteers in waterstown, awful conditions but course was ok to run

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Rikki Prince from Southampton Uni has just posted a list of possible New Year's Day doubles in the UK for anyone who's over there then. It also includes NI for anyone who's there or thereabouts.

Unfortunately I can't post links but rikkiprince on wordpress or twitter should get you there in a few clicks - these should be in the top few results in a web search.

With 2016 being a leap year starting on a Friday, you can do 2 on NYD, 1 on xmas and 53 on the Saturdays, which gives a possible 56 parkruns in the calendar year - your last chance to do that until 2044! ;o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

The first junior parkrun in the republic started yesterday at Rush (Co. Dublin). Big turnout too (165). Junior parkruns are for ages 4-14, and are run over a 2km course, and held on Sunday mornings.Rush web site is at http://www.parkrun.ie/rush-juniors/ for more info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Gael23 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the video of Griffeen? Should have been cancelled in conditions like that.

I am sure the organisers assessed the conditions and made a judgement call. Haven't heard complaints from any of the participants so must not have been any issues. Judging by the amount of cancellations in the last 2 weeks it is clear that safety is the primary concern at all runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Perhaps that one corner was the only "problem" area so all felt it was OK to run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Rikki Prince from Southampton Uni has just posted a list of possible New Year's Day doubles in the UK for anyone who's over there then. It also includes NI for anyone who's there or thereabouts.

Unfortunately I can't post links but rikkiprince on wordpress or twitter should get you there in a few clicks - these should be in the top few results in a web search.

With 2016 being a leap year starting on a Friday, you can do 2 on NYD, 1 on xmas and 53 on the Saturdays, which gives a possible 56 parkruns in the calendar year - your last chance to do that until 2044! ;o)

parkrun New Years Day double finder:

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/rfp07r/parkrun/nyd2016.html

Weather was abysmal on Saturday at Stormont and parts of the course were flooded, but I reckon ankle deep is ok. I just told people in the briefing to "have fun and run straight through the middle of the puddles. Trying to avoid the puddles by going around them will cause you more difficulties".

On a separate note, it's odd that inaugurals are starting in early January when frost and ice could be a major issue.

On the NY doubles link - Comber says it is on at 9:30am although has not officially declared this through the parkrun website. Comber is on the right side of Belfast to get to Stormont in time for 11am. Waterworks-Stormont also doable.

While we say 11am, there may be some flexibility there if we know people are coming from Comber/Waterworks.

• Advertisement

Water waist high now at Limerick. Saturday looks unlikely

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Water waist high now at Limerick. Saturday looks unlikely

Yeah saw photos on the UL Facebook page. That area will take a few weeks to dry out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Which video? Are you talking about the big puddle on a bend? It's only a bit of water and I don't think there was any genuine risk of drowning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

You should have come to Lees road last week.
    Ireland's first parkaquathlon.

I presume the kids parkrun is also weekly..? I plan on popping out with the kids on Sun if it is.

Falcarragh home page is up on parkrun.ie - starts on 9th January

Limerick put off until the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Dub13 wrote: »
    I presume the kids parkrun is also weekly..? I plan on popping out with the kids on Sun if it is.
    Yep, every Sunday morning. The times are fixed for each location, but not necessarily the same everywhere. So, I presume that means, that Rush having been at 9:30 last week, will be at 9:30 every week.

Limerick being wise putting it off. So many popping up now in January, and I'm unlikely to make any of the inaugural runs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any reason why there is a separate one for kids? I would think a mixed event would benefit more people?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Any reason why there is a separate one for kids? I would think a mixed event would benefit more people?

I presume the kids ones are shorter. There are a lot of kids running parkruns that shouldn't really be racing 5ks

RayCun wrote: »
    There are a lot of kids running parkruns that shouldn't really be racing 5ks

Why???

Why???

Because they become single-paced plodders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Why???

Junior parkrun is specifically for 4 - 14 year olds, and is shorter - 2k rather than. Not many 4 years olds can run 5k. Also many parkruns require that if a kid is under 10 an adult must run with them thus forcing the adult to run slower. Junior parkrun allows adults to run their own parkrun at their pace and for kids to get involved in the shorter race.

I remember reading a discussion (probably on here) before and most of the research agreed that if the kids enjoyed it then they should do it. Plodding isn't necessarily a bad thing if the alternative is staying at home in front of a TV.
    Seems a shame (to me at least) that there is an event each week that (needlessly imo) limits participation.

I don't think any of the parkruns ban younger runners. A shorter race is better for them, and it will open up participation - some kids might not be able to do a 5k but they can do 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Seems a shame (to me at least) that there is an event each week that (needlessly imo) limits participation.

I doesn't limit participation but rather gives younger kids the opportunity to enjoy running over a more manageable distance. If your 4 year old wants to and can run 5k run Saturday at parkrun if not run Sunday at junior parkrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think it's a good gateway to the bigger race.

• Advertisement

5k is a bit much for a lot of 4 and 5 year olds. We had a fun run on Saturday for kids of our club, and 800 metres was too much for some of them. They all sprint off at the start and are exhausted within seconds.

Nothing to stop kids under 11 running with their parents or responsible adult at a parkrun, however.

The 2k distance of the junior event is a good way to get them interested without it being too much.

On a related note, I'd like kids to stop going to the front of parkruns, for their own safety. I know it's not a race, but they are at risk of being trampled by some of the quicker adults.

Bizarrely, it appears that a 3 year old would be allowed to run in the senior parkrun, but not in the junior parkrun!

Looking at last week's results we noted that two under 11s were nowhere near a responsible adult. Hard to pick this up at the time, but there it was in the results. Parents of kids under 11 need to understand that they are liable, not parkrun, if something happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Looking at last week's results we noted that two under 11s were nowhere near a responsible adult. Hard to pick this up at the time, but there it was in the results. Parents of kids under 11 need to understand that they are liable, not parkrun, if something happens.
    Were the under 11's finished before or after their adult? When we started going to parkrun our fella was under 11. He runs about 5 mins faster than us! We said it to our Parkrun director and he was fine with it, just pointed out that we were responsible for himself. Sometime when the race director does the pre run talk and when he gets to the bit about kids, he looks at us and say "if you can keep up with him!!". There's never been a bother with him on the parkruns.

However I was volunteering one morn and a young fella (probably about 9) was unaccompanied and took a short cut on the course.

They were among the last to finish. I'm only going by results, so they may well have had a parent with them, who didn't cross the line.

A friend of mine at another event, in which there's a trail section, discovered a young kid in tears one morning, about 9 years old. He stopped and spoke to him and they jogged back around to the finish together. As soon as the kid spotted his mates he just took off - no sign of any parents at all.

I'm pretty sure when you register a child, there's a box you, as a parent/guardian, ticks to say you accept liability.

If kids are capable to screaming around in sub 20, and some of them are, no harm - as long as parents understand if things go wrong, there's no comeback. All being well, it'll never be an issue.

I preferred it when I just showed up to run. This run director lark is a headache.

I've seen adults take short cuts too. I mean, they're only kidding themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

A record attendance at Naas parkrun this morning. 183 runners (18 last week!) Great turnout for a week before Christmas. Think it was the promise of cake that attracted the hordes!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

An_Reathai wrote: »
    A record attendance at Naas parkrun this morning. 183 runners (18 last week!) Great turnout for a week before Christmas. Think it was the promise of cake that attracted the hordes!

Newbridge and Naas Fit4Life made it a target race which I think added to the attendance (as well as the promise of cake). I'd say more will participate in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great morning at St. Annes, It's a lovely course , will defo be back a lot more next year, thanks to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

The Muppet wrote: »
    Great morning at St. Annes, It's a lovely course , will defo be back a lot more next year, thanks to all involved.

Glad you enjoyed it, The Muppet! See you again soon.

I am just back form the Junior one in Rush, the 4 kids loved it. 2 of them normally play football on a Sunday so we will do it when we can.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement