Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RayCun wrote: »
    If there were people there wondering about joining a club - well, now they know which club to join :)

Yeah, I'd be going"I'm deffo joining that first finisher's club", he's smoked all those other guys...

Impressive strength in depth, though, to be fair. We'll have to see who we can rustle up for the return match...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A few people wear club singlets to Johnstown, I think it's totally fine. Probably my favourite thing about the parkrun is getting such a broad range of talent - national level cross country runners to people who walk all of it. Beautiful thing if you ask me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

edisonolmy wrote: »
    You need to train and train hard. I went from 28-plus to 18 mins in about 2 years, but then again I was a fat beast when I started.

We were doing two hard sessions a week - Tuesday hills/temp and Thursday intervals. Parkrun on Saturday and long run on Sunday

The hardest work was getting from 20:30 to sub 20. A lot of speed work was involved. Intervals at faster than 5k pace. Last summer we were going 800 metre repeats every week, shortening our recovery time each week. it saw us go from high 19s to mid 19s to sub 19 in the space of a couple of months.
    I'm fairly lean or slim already and play lots of squash. I just have in my head I'd like to break 20mins and see how it feels to be that much fitter than I am now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Limerick park run is cancelled this Saturday 5th March due to a conflicting event in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Is there St. Patrick's Day parkruns? Can a parkrun event put one if they feel like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

No pretty sure the only exceptions are Christmas Day and New Years Day

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

for Ireland as in the UK - its Christmas and New Years day - the Yanks have the only other exception and its thanksgiving

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Singapore had one on Chinese New Year while the Danes typically have special events on New Year's Eve instead of New Year's Day.

• Advertisement

There have been, on I think just 4 occasions in the last 10 years, `bespoke' parkruns - one off events that count towards your milestone tees etc. One of these was during the London Olympics and was at an existing event - Highbury Fields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I am hoping to do the Clonakilty Parkrun next time I am in Cork, just wondering about getting parking nearby. The webstite mentions "limited public parking". Public transport won't be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

I am hoping to do the Clonakilty Parkrun next time I am in Cork, just wondering about getting parking nearby. The webstite mentions "limited public parking". Public transport won't be an option

their is parking in the quality hotel next door that you can use as well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

They've made a change to the course in Athlone and it's about time. Previously, it was a nightmare and they considered the new cycle path from Athlone to Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Itzy wrote: »
    They've made a change to the course in Athlone and it's about time. Previously, it was a nightmare and they considered the new cycle path from Athlone to Mullingar.
    I missed last Saturday - is it the same as the previous Saturday which was a shorter route in the opposite direction for 5 laps? Or has it been changed again?
    Didn't like the suggestion of using the cycleway - I have run on it a few times myself and it's as boring as fcuk!

I ran in St. Anne's on Saturday. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and best time of the year. It is a very fast course though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went and did a new to me parkrun at the weekend. Smaller numbers running it (so no isses with overtaking people), was tarmac path round a lake (so pretty damn flat), next to no wind (which is a big impediment when pushing a massive sail into a headwind)... but didn't quite zip up my man suit enough and missed out on getting a sub 20 buggy run. :)

Think I'll be going Bach to try it again though during the summer before the kid gets too heavy, or complainy, and I'll just have to try harder.

robinph wrote: »
    Think I'll be going Bach to try it again though during the summer before the kid gets too heavy, or complainy, and I'll just have to try harder.

Composed post. Would you call it a classic(al) course then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

davedanon wrote: »
    Composed post. Would you call it a classic(al) course then?

Was a very nice course. Looked like they had good facilities as well, I think they said there was free tea and toast in the visitors centre for the park afterwards also.

There was someone from parkrun UK visiting, not sure who, but at the run brief they said it was the last week they would be manually taking people's names, being checked up on for complying with the no barcode, no time rule I guess. As they have relatively small numbers each week though they did have a book where there regulars would leave a copy of their barcode in so that it was always there to be scanned if they forgot one week.

parkruns are all the same, but each one is a bit different. Love it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello! Has anyone run Ballina parkrun? What's the course like? any hills / drags / exciting quirks :-)? Hoping to run it on Paddy's weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello! Has anyone run Ballina parkrun? What's the course like? any hills / drags / exciting quirks :-)? Hoping to run it on Paddy's weekend.

yeah its my local parkrun.. its a lovely out and back course through the woods, theres a drag / hill ? from 1.5 to 2.5km ish you turn around then and get to run downhill though,
    im biased but its the nicest course ive seen so far..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

woody1 wrote: »
    yeah its my local parkrun.. its a lovely out and back course through the woods, theres a drag / hill ? from 1.5 to 2.5km ish you turn around then and get to run downhill though,
    im biased but its the nicest course ive seen so far..

That sounds lovely! Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I missed last Saturday - is it the same as the previous Saturday which was a shorter route in the opposite direction for 5 laps? Or has it been changed again?
    Didn't like the suggestion of using the cycleway - I have run on it a few times myself and it's as boring as fcuk!

Still running the 5 laps around. I liked it as it was a bit of variety from the alternate route around the AIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Four new parkruns to look forward to in the coming weeks Lough Key in Co. Roscommon , Mullingar in Co. Westmeath , Newcastle West in Co. Limerick and Longford Town in Co. Longford- this will bring the event count up to 53

A lot of birthdays tomorrow - hard to believe Lees Road was a year ago. Lovely challenging course down there.

Up here tomorrow we have Colin Haddick running his 250th at Vicky Park. that's two in the 250 club with a few others close behind.

Good to see Roscommon and Longford coming on board - only a handful of counties left without one

Amigaman wrote: »
    Four new parkruns to look forward to in the coming weeks Lough Key in Co. Roscommon
    Got a link to the route/parkrun site? Will be tricky to get a 5k route without a hill or two so should be a interesting route

Any info or links for the upcoming new parkruns? Would like to try out Mullingar and Longford - just for a change. Looking forward to having another go of Letterkenny parkrun at Easter.

Newcastle West and Lough Key are on Facebook

Lough Key Park in Roscommon would be a fab setting for a parkrun. But would they get the numbers? Boyle is nearby but Carrick is about 15mins drive away. You would need to drive or car pool. It's an hour drive away from ourselves so whether I could drag the others out of bed that early in the morning I'm not sure...

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Newcastle West and Lough Key are on Facebook
    Thanks just checked there now. Mullingar parkrun also has a facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Lough Key Park in Roscommon would be a fab setting for a parkrun. But would they get the numbers? Boyle is nearby but Carrick is about 15mins drive away. You would need to drive or car pool. It's an hour drive away from ourselves so whether I could drag the others out of bed that early in the morning I'm not sure...

they'll be getting me as a visitor anyway!! (that'll be a 1.5 hour drive...) anyone within 30 mins drive is a target audience no? especially for such a beautiful setting.

Firedance wrote: »
    they'll be getting me as a visitor anyway!! (that'll be a 1.5 hour drive...) anyone within 30 mins drive is a target audience no? especially for such a beautiful setting.
    Yeah it's definitely one I want to try. Will sweet-talk the hubbie and do an overnight in Carrick, make a weekend of it!

Yes Carrick is only a short drive from Lough Key...country folk think nothing of a drive like that. My family have a place close by that I frequent a lot in the Summer so I'm real excited about this...no more missing my parkruns on a Saturday morning :)

fletch wrote: »
    Yes Carrick is only a short drive from Lough Key...country folk think nothing of a drive like that. My family have a place close by that I frequent a lot in the Summer so I'm real excited about this...no more missing my parkruns on a Saturday morning :)

ha! see you there so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Lees Road in Ennis is One Year old tomorrow. Where has the time gone

Anyone find their parkrun time not matching their own recorded time? I dont mind a difference of about 1 minute. But my parkrun time today was 3 mins behind my recorded time. Its been out a few times, i even finished 2 mins earlier one time aparantly. I know it's not a race, the times don't count towards anything but i feel i can no longer trust or depend on the website results.

No I find mine tend to be very accurate....to within a second or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Mine's always been spot on.

likewise mine are always within a few seconds, very accurate normally.

• Advertisement

All down to the accuracy of the volunteer pressing the start and stop button and you'll usually be within a second at most parkruns I've ever done.

What position are you finishing in? Could there be a few people early on in the results causing issues by not taking tokens?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jakejudy123

As one of the startup team in Lough Key I am hopeful of us getting the numbers. I have been going to Sligo Parkrun about an hours drive and lots of people have expressed interest in our run already. With such a beautiful setting who could resist the attraction and there is a great cafe too for that after run coffee. I think there is potential in Parkrun for tourism. I certainly intend to do as many different runs as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Good luck with it. I'll definitely head out to Boyle for it. It's a lovely place to run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not sure how I improved my time yesterday. My body didn't feel up to it, same when I was out on Friday. But hey. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure how I improved my time yesterday. My body didn't feel up to it, same when I was out on Friday. But hey. :)

Conditions yesterday were fairly ideal (in Dublin at least) to allow for faster times. I ran fastest 5k of the year too despite feeling a bit sluggish.

Ran 5 seconds quicker in Tymon yesterday than in Raheny last week, which made me happy as St. Anne's is a much quicker course. Only 3 seconds off my Tymon pb too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Those of you who would do the parkrun regularly, how do you incorporate it into your weekly schedule? Do you still do a long run on the weekend and would your long run be shorter on weeks you do a parkrun?

Those of you who would do the parkrun regularly, how do you incorporate it into your weekly schedule? Do you still do a long run on the weekend and would your long run be shorter on weeks you do a parkrun?

Run to and from the parkrun, one of my local parkruns that works out as 7.5 miles, parkrun and then another 7.5 back again.
    Another one of the local parkruns we'd drive out to, I run round pushing the buggy, wife and child then drive home and I run the 18 miles back. Have also done similar with me running to another city nearby and I then meet back up with the family for lunch.

Those options also get the long run out of the way with less impact on the rest of the family schedule, usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Anyone find their parkrun time not matching their own recorded time? I dont mind a difference of about 1 minute. But my parkrun time today was 3 mins behind my recorded time. Its been out a few times, i even finished 2 mins earlier one time aparantly. I know it's not a race, the times don't count towards anything but i feel i can no longer trust or depend on the website results.

That's a long way out , sounds like something is going very wrong in the funnel, scanning or recording.

Might be worth contacting them, if your result is that far out then it looks like the finish times are not matching the scanned barcodes (and others will also be wrong).

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/200565383-My-time-result-is-wrong-What-do-I-do-

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TinyTot165

I noticed this last week, myself and my dd crossed the finish line together yet her time was 2.5 mins faster than mine on the results page, i think the 2 people after us got our times so not sure what went wrong. I didn't say anything about it as its all voluntary but I'll keep an eye on it.

TinyTot165 wrote: »
    I noticed this last week, myself and my dd crossed the finish line together yet her time was 2.5 mins faster than mine on the results page, i think the 2 people after us got our times so not sure what went wrong. I didn't say anything about it as its all voluntary but I'll keep an eye on it.
    Sounds like the tokens weren't correctly sorted or were handed out in the wrong order...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement