Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Anyone find their parkrun time not matching their own recorded time? I dont mind a difference of about 1 minute. But my parkrun time today was 3 mins behind my recorded time. Its been out a few times, i even finished 2 mins earlier one time aparantly. I know it's not a race, the times don't count towards anything but i feel i can no longer trust or depend on the website results.

It is volunteers who record the time and not the same people every week so there is a probability of errors. Once you volunteer yourself a few times you will have a different perspective on things, I know I have anyway. Once you have your own recorded time it's not the end of the world and don't forget it's not a race it's a community run haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

robinph wrote: »
    Another one of the local parkruns we'd drive out to, I run round pushing the buggy, wife and child then drive home and I run the 18 miles back.

Had to read this a few times to realise you weren't pushing a buggy, your wife and child!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

As one of the startup team in Lough Key I am hopeful of us getting the numbers. I have been going to Sligo Parkrun about an hours drive and lots of people have expressed interest in our run already. With such a beautiful setting who could resist the attraction and there is a great cafe too for that after run coffee. I think there is potential in Parkrun for tourism. I certainly intend to do as many different runs as possible.

I run in Griffeen in Lucan but with in-laws in Boyle the current plan is to come join you for the first event.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Those of you who would do the parkrun regularly, how do you incorporate it into your weekly schedule? Do you still do a long run on the weekend and would your long run be shorter on weeks you do a parkrun?

I do two ways depending on the week.

If doing tri training then park a few miles away from the parkrun and run to the parkrun, run the parkrun and run back. The run back can be tough going if you put effort into the parkrun.

If training for running race then I do the Parkrun on a Saturday as a tempo or faster and a full long run on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

If your time is way out from your own watch, it's usually an issue with the timer or the tokens. Maybe someone has ducked out of the funnel and you get handed their token, so get a quicker time. Or maybe the timer has double-clicked, which is easy enough done, so you get a slower time when you finish.

That's why a funnel manager is important, so they can run between tokens and timers to make sure they are in sync. The number on the next token about to be handed out should be one more than the number showing on the stopwatch.

At Ormeau on Saturday i was on timer and numbers were massive. A group of about 20 crossed the line at the same time, so i was clicking frantically trying to keep up - then they all ducked the funnel, as they just happened to be out for a jog at the park at the same time, and weren't part of parkrun - the funnel manager had to run to me find out my number, then make sure the next 20 tokens were binned, otherwise times would have been way out for everyone coming behind.

In another incident, a kid joined in for the last 30 metres to cross the line with their mum - I spotted this so didn't click the watch for the kid, but the person on tokens handed out 2 - one to mum, one to kid. Easily rectified, but had one of us missed this, the times again would be out.

The more people volunteer, the more you appreciate everything that needs to happen to make an event run smoothly. That's why i advocate volunteering so much.

Some one also mentioned tokens being handed out in the wrong order. At an inaugural, I won't name names, the person on tokens just appeared to be handing any token to any runner - "you didn't get a token? here, take this one."

I had to have a quiet word and point out that the number on the token matches the number of times the watch has been clicked up to that point.

"Keep moving and stay in order" is one of the phrases I use most at the finish line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing it was to do with tokens out of order. I didn't look at the number token I had. I was to the back of the field so we were more spaced out towards the end. Another person I was chatting to since said their time was wrong too, per website they apparently finished 20secs directly after me, but I was in about 1.5 mins before them and a couple of people finished between us.

I have volunteered a few times and it's actually good fun! That's one of the reasons why I don't want to complain: I do understand that it is volunteer driven and I'm not looking for perfect times! If it was an actual race then yeah I would be quite put out. I guess I put the question to you more seasoned parkrunners as I haven't done many different park run locations.

Errors can be more pronounced towards the end of the run when runners are spaced far apart. One wrong click or token could mean the difference in minutes, as opposed to seconds if timers and tokens go out of sync when a big group crosses the line.

I was in an actual race yesterday where times were out by 32 seconds - chip times too. People are complaining about that one.

As a run director, I'll happily change people's parkrun times even after I've processed results, if they believe they have been given the wrong time. Id rather get it right, even if it takes a few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't want to complain

Don't complain then. Help them out by letting them know of an error a potential mistake mixup in the results. :D

It is just a bunch of friends going for a run around a park afterall, who wouldn't want to be let know if there was a issue with the timings that can be easily fixed?

I have no problem people pointing potential errors out to me, provided they do it nicely.

I almost lost patience with someone who once asked me to change her position because she was handed the wrong chip, even though the two runners crossed at the same time. I asked "are you being serious here?" She was. Then I thought, maybe she's a regular runner and is chasing the annual points title, and one point might make the difference - nope, first timer. We changed it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Anyone find their parkrun time not matching their own recorded time? I dont mind a difference of about 1 minute. But my parkrun time today was 3 mins behind my recorded time. Its been out a few times, i even finished 2 mins earlier one time aparantly. I know it's not a race, the times don't count towards anything but i feel i can no longer trust or depend on the website results.
    It shouldn't be out by a minute either. Really it should be within a few seconds assuming everything went smoothly, which doesn't always happen obviously.

But, there's certainly no issue pointing out the problem especially if it's happened more than once. They might not be able to fix it, but at least they can look into it.

Probably the worst thing that can happen is if one of the scanners scans the barcodes and tokens in the wrong order. That causes mayhem with the results and is very hard to fix.

Also, I'd say if your recorded time is way better than you ran, they would probably take you out of the results altogether for that week, if you want, rather than leaving you with an unrealistic PB that you'll never beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

plodder wrote: »
    Also, I'd say if your recorded time is way better than you ran, they would probably take you out of the results altogether for that week, if you want, rather than leaving you with an unrealistic PB that you'll never beat.

I've seen a few of these ......... people clocking in consistent times, e.g. around 30 minutes, and then one 23 minute run - most probably the runner hasn't counted the laps properly and came home a lap early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I've seen a few of these ......... people clocking in consistent times, e.g. around 30 minutes, and then one 23 minute run - most probably the runner hasn't counted the laps properly and came home a lap early.

That's possible, but there's also people (like me) who's energy and motivation can vary that much. Also I wouldn't be averse to keeping someone slower than me company for encouragement.

Many club runners use parkrun to `jog' on days before or days of big races, so their times will vary from week to week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

edisonolmy wrote:
    Many club runners use parkrun to `jog' on days before or days of big races, so their times will vary from week to week.

Plus people pacing mates etc. Also, I know Raheny Shamrocks have a speed session after the St Anne's parkrun. I know lads do the parkrun as a warmup so would not be going full throttle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Or running pushing a buggy one week and not the other has caused a few spikes up and down in my pace charts on the parkrun website.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I was just saying that if you know your result was off, and if you ask them to take it out, they should do that. Obviously, people's own pace is going to vary up and down and if you're happy with the times then no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi all, I have previously tried C25k and got somewhat into finishing it but that dwindled. Would jumping into do the parkrun albeit walking towards jogging be a good (re)starting point towards getting fit again or should I do more training before? I am capable of a light jog so could do a 5k walk jog within a slowish time.

GBX wrote: »
    Hi all, I have previously tried C25k and got somewhat into finishing it but that dwindled. Would jumping into do the parkrun albeit walking towards jogging be a good (re)starting point towards getting fit again or should I do more training before? I am capable of a light jog so could do a 5k walk jog within a slowish time.
    Definitely a good idea. Most (if not all) parkruns have walkers and jog/walkers. So, there will be others going at the same speed as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

I know whole groups of people who use parkrun in for one of their weekly C25k and I would recommend it. Depending of when you are, if you have a choice of parkruns, some have a tail runner/walker, ie someone who is happy to stay behind or accompany the last walk /runner. Waterstown in Palmerstown are luckly to have this role weekly as a lot of their Warriors start on C25K and the route, although very scenic, dips down into the Liffey Valley out of sight of the start/finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

GBX it certainly wouldn't do any harm to go to a parkrun if you have done most if not all of C25K before. Runners and walkers of all abilities do parkrun. You might find it easier than you think, when there's a crowd there it's easier to stay motivated, to keep moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

GBX - rest assured that walkers are welcome at all parkruns - whereabouts are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Cabinteely parkrun has its 1st birthday this Saturday, word is there'll be cake :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Finally got around to doing a Parkrun, it's not the run that scares me, it's the getting up on a Saturday morning.

Nice cycle over to Hartstown and ran 20:40. Really enjoyed the event and the course, definitely looking forward to doing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone who wondered what became of the parkrun in Cork city :(
    Probably the last update for a while. Cork City council are only able to consider restarting the event once the park is officially open to the public with an operator onsite to manage events. Due to budget constraints this will most likely not be until early next year.
    If anything change in the meantime needless to say we'll put an update here.
    Thanks to all the volunteers & participants who've been involved up 'til now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

opus wrote:
    For anyone who wondered what became of the parkrun in Cork city

That's a pity. I did the Castle Demesne parkrun in Macroom on Saturday. Not too far from Cork City and a nice run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

opus wrote: »

Ballincollig regional park looks like a good spot when they finish the paths -it will also be under the County Council's jurisdiction, so they should know how this works from all the other park runs in the county. There's a bit of info on the Cork running blog. Not only would this be a great location, but perhaps it would also relieve some of the demand on Tramore Park if it ever gets back up and running.
    Did you ever consider an out and back on the old railway line out by Pairc Ui Caoimh? It's classed as a park on the City Council website and I'm pretty sure its about 5k from the Atlantic pond out to the footbridge and back. Not ideal but better than nothing, and there's plenty of parking close by

Thanks for all the efforts in trying to keep Tramore Park going. The fact that it closed due to its great success is mid boggling to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lee Fields would have been a perfect spot for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

It's a shame that it closed but people can still run there in their own time right?
    I know the numbers swelled due to operation transformation and I'd say that was one of the main issues. Now that OT is over the number of people attending will be back to 'normal' numbers when it starts up.

Can't believe the council want to ruin something that promotes fitness and health!!

It's a shame that it's on hold indefinitely. You would like to think the council would assist in helping find a different venue in the meantime

• Advertisement

Ballincollig regional park looks like a good spot when they finish the paths -it will also be under the County Council's jurisdiction, so they should know how this works from all the other park runs in the county. There's a bit of info on the Cork running blog. Not only would this be a great location, but perhaps it would also relieve some of the demand on Tramore Park if it ever gets back up and running.
    Did you ever consider an out and back on the old railway line out by Pairc Ui Caoimh? It's classed as a park on the City Council website and I'm pretty sure its about 5k from the Atlantic pond out to the footbridge and back. Not ideal but better than nothing, and there's plenty of parking close by

Yup we did indeed suggest using the old railway line but it didn't fly with the council due to impact on the other people using that facility.

The regional park is being investigated at the moment, needs some people who live locally to get involved however, link on parkrun to contact them is here.

kingtut wrote: »
    Can't believe the council want to ruin something that promotes fitness and health!!

It's daft what ideas these local councils have sometimes isn't it.

Things are still in the balance for my local parkrun with the parish council effectively threatening the local residents with a tax increase if they don't object to parkrun continuing to be a free event. It's getting very silly at the moment. Hopefully they don't axe parkrun in the next council meeting in the next couple of weeks. :eek:

Yup we did indeed suggest using the old railway line but it didn't fly with the council due to impact on the other people using that facility.
    Don't know if it helps, but at least one other parkrun uses exactly the same out and back setup on an old railway line (Westport). And all parkruns have to share space with other people as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

plodder wrote: »
    Don't know if it helps, but at least one other parkrun uses exactly the same out and back setup on an old railway line (Westport). And all parkruns have to share space with other people as well.

Yes, for our purposes the railway line, (town greenway) is a linear Park. We always tell runners to give way to other users but we've never had an issue. The council are fully supportive and provided start up funding through Mayo Sports Partnership. Disappointing that Cork are so against it.

The regional park is being investigated at the moment, needs some people who live locally to get involved however, link on parkrun to contact them is here.

It appears to me that someone in Cork City Council is dead set against any parkrun full stop. I just don't get it. Its a run in a public park - it will always impact other users - but only for 1 hour tops on a Saturday morning.
    There's also the Glen Amenity park, but thats just a 1k loop (you could stretch it to 1 mile by adding in an out and back bit), but there's no parking except for the shopping centre Ballyvolane. If people were to take on new parkruns, would you be willing to at least get us started? My problem is work - I work most Saturdays, but I could help getting something set up - I just wouldn't be around to help run it very often. I have seen a few comments on Facebook that would lead me to believe some other people are interested in looking at alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Newcastlewest, Co. Limerick confirmed start date is April 23rd. Looking forward to it, less than a mile from the house...

Lough Key saying May 14 on FB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Lough Key would be a nice place for a weekly run.

I might get along in the summer. Won't get to the first one

There's also the Glen Amenity park, but thats just a 1k loop (you could stretch it to 1 mile by adding in an out and back bit), but there's no parking except for the shopping centre Ballyvolane. If people were to take on new parkruns, would you be willing to at least get us started? My problem is work - I work most Saturdays, but I could help getting something set up - I just wouldn't be around to help run it very often. I have seen a few comments on Facebook that would lead me to believe some other people are interested in looking at alternatives.

Not sure who you mean by 'you' in the above? I'm just one of the volunteers who were involved in TVP. parkrun will help you get one started! There have a person in Cork who does the basic training on the kit and the goes through the parkrun 'way'.

If the City Council are in control of the park & I'd guess they are, be prepared for a bit of fun and games!

All the people who were involved in the TVP group were pretty enthusiastic so I'd imagine would be happy to volunteer every now & again for another one in the city, for sure I would anyway.

• Advertisement

Not sure who you mean by 'you' in the above? I'm just one of the volunteers who were involved in TVP. parkrun will help you get one started! There have a person in Cork who does the basic training on the kit and the goes through the parkrun 'way'.

If the City Council are in control of the park & I'd guess they are, be prepared for a bit of fun and games!

All the people who were involved in the TVP group were pretty enthusiastic so I'd imagine would be happy to volunteer every now & again for another one in the city, for sure I would anyway.

Thanks for the info. My previous post was written in a hurry and I suppose by 'you' I meant " person in Cork who does the basic training on the kit and the goes through the parkrun 'way'" so apologies for any confusion - it wasn't my intent to imply any individual had any personal responsibly wrt to these events.
    I expect there will be a bit of fun and games regardless of where is picked. It seems to me that the TVP team put in great efforts to keep that event going in the most suitable park area in the city, so I wouldn't hold my breath for the Council approving any other location.
    Are you familiar with the Glen park and what would be your opinion of it as parkrun location? And yes the City Council are in control of it - they have one of their maintenance depots in one part of it.

Longford starts on May 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Is th anymore word on Swords park run? Last year I heard it was close to starting?

Malachite is great by the way just wondering

Newcastle West page is live
    http://www.parkrun.ie/newcastlewest/course/

St Anne's changing its route - I liked the old one as it was the first place that I ever achieved sub 20. New route looks like it has a few climbs. More undulating

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1018266241

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

edisonolmy wrote:
    St Anne's changing its route - I liked the old one as it was the first place that I ever achieved sub 20. New route looks like it has a few climbs. More undulating

I would say that's an April fool's joke.

Cabinteely also promising to flatten its hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Cabinteely also promising to flatten its hills

yes, its true, DLRDCC are over there with the buldozers as we speak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hartstown also with a tweak to its course but this one appears genuine and not an April Fools. The start brought back about 50 metres and the second lap shortened to balance that out, and the finish line in a previously unused sidepath.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1834961940064510&id=1618072238420149
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zORxZ_TzghTw.kRabGUQtW-JM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes Hartstown's route is changing from tomorrow. We felt the finishing chute was too close to the main run route and sometimes people would run through it on their first lap, with the resulting confusion over times. This should make it easier to differentiate between a first lapper and a finisher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement