Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Are you familiar with the Glen park and what would be your opinion of it as parkrun location? And yes the City Council are in control of it - they have one of their maintenance depots in one part of it.

Actually I'm not familiar with it even through it's closer to me than TVP as I live in Shandon. Sometimes do a loop out the Lower Rd, up the North Ring & back through Blackpool which takes me right past it so will definitely check it out at some stage.

People you'd need to contact are in the Parks & Recreation dept, best of luck if you decide to give it a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Firedance wrote: »
    yes, its true, DLRDCC are over there with the buldozers as we speak...

There a rumour that Tymon is going for an out and back along the hard shoulder on the M50...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Another event, not sure which, said everyone is running backwards tomorrow. At the inaugural event for Waterstown, a runner actually did run backwards for the whole thing, and was pretty quick too.

Castletown said they were going to charge everyone who does not volunteer €2 while St Alban's in England said they were merging the U11 and dog policies to mean U11s had to be on short leads - not a bad idea.

Mullingar site live
    http://www.parkrun.ie/mullingar/course/

Starts same day as Newcastle West.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Remember folks St Anne's is off tomorrow. Father Collins will have the welcome mat out for St Anne's refugees'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Castletown are introducing a fee if you don't volunteer on the course. Not sure if thats such a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Gael23 wrote: »
    Castletown are introducing a fee if you don't volunteer on the course. Not sure if thats such a good idea.

its an april fool - however, I think its an excellent idea!!

An April Fool, I think. Being FOC is the very bedrock of parkrun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't be joking about charging for parkrun, the council have seriously been trying to push that idea for our local event for a while now such that it may be no more in a couple of weeks. :eek:

robinph wrote: »
    Don't be joking about charging for parkrun, the council have seriously been trying to push that idea for our local event for a while now such that it may be no more in a couple of weeks. :eek:

Do they seriously see it as a revenue stream? It's got to be small beer compared to car-parking charges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

robinph wrote: »

Which event is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Which event is that?

Sounds like Little Stoke parkrun:

https://www.change.org/p/stoke-gifford-parish-council-keep-little-stoke-parkrun-in-little-stoke-park

Would be great if people could sign the petition if you haven't already

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eoinín wrote: »
    Sounds like Little Stoke parkrun:

https://www.change.org/p/stoke-gifford-parish-council-keep-little-stoke-parkrun-in-little-stoke-park

Would be great if people could sign the petition if you haven't already

Yep, that's the one. Still hopeful that the council will see sense and back down,but their latest move was to threaten the local residents with a tax increase if they didn't support the council in objecting to getting rid of the parkrun. They have just been coming up with nonsense reasons for wanting to get rid of it whilst still trying to make out that they support parkruns concept and the use of their park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Limerick has got it's second Parkrun in Newcastlewest . Just seemed to pop up out of nowhere and will starting on the 23rd of April in the Demense. Great to see a second one popup in Limerick so quickly and hopefully a few more will be added in the future.

http://www.parkrun.ie/newcastlewest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    St Anne's changing its route - I liked the old one as it was the first place that I ever achieved sub 20. New route looks like it has a few climbs. More undulating

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1018266241
    Dub13 wrote: »
    I would say that's an April fool's joke.

This isnt actually an April Fool, though I deliberately released the news that day to create doubt :)

I posted on Facebook yesterday the reasons behind it - due to works being undertaken at a point on the existing course which significantly limited our route choices, unless we wanted to do out-and-backs. We've the same start line, almost the same finish line, but the route uses the other side of the park. The new course is actually really nice and gives views back towards the Dublin Mountains and the sea, and is tree-lined all the way around.

The new course is subject to change depending on how the first couple of weeks go.

It's still a fast course, but maybe not as fast as the current one... which would be hard to beat in fairness!

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1018266241

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Looking forward to it K.
    Will be strange not running the last km on the Avenue though. That was always the best part for me.
    But Good to mix it up every now and then. My pb is still from the time you reversed the course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

The new course in St Anne's goes through the nicest part of the park, IMO, but not as flat! Looking forward to trying it soon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

annapr wrote: »
    The new course in St Anne's goes through the nicest part of the park, IMO, but not as flat! Looking forward to trying it soon.

Yes its a very nice part of the park, the new path along watermill helps the 10 miler last week used much of the new parkrun course and went down well.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Yes its a very nice part of the park, the new path along watermill helps the 10 miler last week used much of the new parkrun course and went down well.

Not that bit! That was uphill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Lees Road Ennis no parkrun next Saturday 9th of April due to a darkside event taking place in the same venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

ger664 wrote: »
    Lees Road Ennis no parkrun next Saturday 9th of April due to a darkside event taking place in the same venue

Can we still do a freedom run of the course or will it be closed off?

kingtut wrote: »
    Can we still do a freedom run of the course or will it be closed off?

We where asked by the park management as it would cause a congestion issue so in fairness I would say not to do a freedom run. There is always Clarisford, Kilrush or Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

ger664 wrote: »
    We where asked by the park management as it would cause a congestion issue so in fairness I would say not to do a freedom run. There is always Clarisford, Kilrush or Limerick.

Ok no worries, thanks for letting me know about the alternatives :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is the tramore valley parkrun in Cork on this week ? Heading down there for the weekend and I was hoping for a spot of parkrun tourism. Is there any other parkruns around cork if tramore valley is still cancelled .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

The Muppet wrote: »
    Is the tramore valley parkrun in Cork on this week ? Heading down there for the weekend and I was hoping for a spot of parkrun tourism. Is there any other parkruns around cork if tramore valley is still cancelled .

Tramore valley is cancelled indefinitely. The closest to the City would be Clonakilty or Macroom. There's a few more around West Cork but they'd be a good drive from the City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

There are a few other races on fairly near the city, see http://www.corkrunning.blogspot.ie/p/calendar.html

Ballincollig is only 15 minutes from the city, Cobh would be about 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Did a lap of the new route today. It's a lovely course, very scenic. A few bumps for sure but overall very fast. Bit of a headwind today on the section that goes alongside the coast road but there's a certain amount of shelter from the trees.

On a related note, Olive's Room are introducing a €10 minimum spend if you use a card (credit or debit), so bring cash for afterwards or do rounds :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Marshalled in St Anne's this morning at the top of the hill... Yes there really is a hill now, short and sharp, about 400m from the finish and you get to go up it twice. Judging by the effect on the runners, it looked tough... But almost everyone was very positive afterwards, and loved the new course. In particular, the scenic sea views on the downhill stretch. Some people even think it's faster than the original route.

Well done Killerz and team! Arranging the cool sunny morning was a master stroke too :)

Marshalled in St Anne's this morning at the top of the hill... Yes there really is a hill now, short and sharp, about 400m from the finish and you get to go up it twice. Judging by the effect on the runners, it looked tough... But almost everyone was very positive afterwards, and loved the new course. In particular, the scenic sea views on the downhill stretch. Some people even think it's faster than the original route.

Well done Killerz and team! Arranging the cool sunny morning was a master stroke too :)

Thanks Anna for the kind words, summary and indeed volunteering today. Was one of those days where, in the planning, it was kind of hard to tell what we needed and where and when. Thankfully it went okay.

It took me back to the first ever day at St Anne's and what we learned over the first week or two as parkrun got used to the park and the park got used to parkrun. I think it will be the same here. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of people who came up absolutely raving about the course. We have a great rep as a fast flat course so I was a little afraid that would take a hit. Thankfully we are able to offer a course which was best described by one of our well travelled parkrunners as 'by far and away the best in the world with the best atmosphere'. Can't argue with that.

The park looked fantastic today and it was an easy sell in that regard. We are all blessed to have such an amazing, vast park that allows is to use a completely different part of the park for a 5k run despite having work going on on our course. This enables us to continue with a weekly fixture which is now embedded as part of our community.

I'm looking forward to running it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Does anybody know the closest Parkrun to Nobber in Co. Meath? Would it be Navan?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Yep Navan is your closest - See here - http://www.parkrun.ie/events/events/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Killerz wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to running it myself.

Gave the new St Annes course a go myself on Saturday, have to say a lovely route. The views of Dublin on the coast road, with that brief period of sun were fab.

Id say the course is faster by a small margin overall, even allowing for the short hill up from the coast rd.

Great work as always Killerz, and hand over the megaphone next week and have a go yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Gave the new St Annes course a go myself on Saturday, have to say a lovely route. The views of Dublin on the coast road, with that brief period of sun were fab.

Id say the course is faster by a small margin overall, even allowing for the short hill up from the coast rd.

Great work as always Killerz, and hand over the megaphone next week and have a go yourself :D

I loved it too! I also think it was faster (not that I personally was faster on Saturday, but I can't blame that on the course! :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Did the new St. Anne's park on Saturday. The new course is lovely and the climb wasn't nothing to strenuous. Fair play to the volunteers for changing it up, brave call.

Also if it's hills you want I strongly recommend the Castlehaven ParkRun near Union Hall in West Cork. Essentially a woodland trail run but is a complete body workout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully this adds a bit of pressure to Stoke Council

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36014525

• Advertisement

It is getting a lot of coverage today on the BBC New site, and several different segments on the local BBC TV news. Some tweets from Sophie Raworth as well today so may even be in her script for the national news this evening, although she is a parkrunner anyway so probably already aware of the story.

Great to see it in the most read stories on the BBC News website today as well and is getting a lot of exposure, except I feel sad that it needs to be there. :(

Hoping that the council see sense this evening and back down. Very tempted to go along to the council meeting, but have a plumber that is meant to be coming round to fix the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

I saw the report on the BBC News channel and I hope it gets sorted soon. I heard an interesting statistic today that shows how rapidly parkrun has grown. Apparently, more (park)runners ran in the first ten days of 2016 world-wide, than in the whole of 2012.

I was briefly on one of the clips the BBC used earlier today in one of the segments running around with the buggy at Little Stoke this weekend. :)

plodder wrote: »
    I saw the report on the BBC News channel and I hope it gets sorted soon. I heard an interesting statistic today that shows how rapidly parkrun has grown. Apparently, more (park)runners ran in the first ten days of 2016 world-wide, than in the whole of 2012.

There used to be a graph on the parkrun website showing the growth in number of runners each week, and the number of events. Very clearly exponential growth in numbers, and you also see jumps each year around New Year for resolutions, but then drop offs when the weather is bad during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Thought cork was the first in the world to get evicted

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »

Thanks Mister Drak, hoping to get down this Saturday, possibly with buggy. I'll be interested to compare the courses at breathless pace alright ;)

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Thought cork was the first in the world to get evicted

There have been several cancelled worldwide previously due to councils withdrawing permission for various reasons. Think this was the first council to attempt the charge line of attack though. Also parkrun is now a much bigger thing than when it's happened before, not including Cork in that as that was only recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Hopefully they find a new location and Cork too for that matter. Must be tough to have put in all the hard work to get it going and then the council pull the rug from under you. It was so good seeing more people goin to parkruns after OT but I'm sure nobody thought it would have impacted as much, pity there is no easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Having done a bit of digging I can say with a fair degree of certainty that Tramore Valley parkrun is the only parkrun in the world ever to close on " Health and Safty" concerns over parking from the local council...I mean they had a parkrun in Camp Bastion in the middle of a war zone FFS ...for the geeks amongst you...
    Camp Bastion parkrun - Closed when the base was closed
    Elliðaárdalur parkrun - used to have to Close in winter due to lack of daylight - closed in july 2012 never restarted in 2013
    Heirisson Island parkrun - ran into a little difficulty with the native inhabitants of the Island
    Rolf Valley parkrun - Was initially Rolf Valley Time Trial this was the first international parkrun - it got lost in the political upheaval in Zimbabwe
    Hillerød parkrun - ??
    Huddle parkrun - the only parkrun to close without ever having started ...
    Nibe parkrun - a failed parkrun that ran out of runners after 245 events...
    Nahoon point - Council wanted to levy a charge
    Little Stoke - Council wanted to Levy a charge
    apart from these there were 7 bespoke one off parkruns for which runners recieved a time and attendance credit ...interesting parkrun fact back in 2009 they tried a Wednesday night parkrun...
    anyway enough trivia... hopefully there will be news from Cork on an alternate venue before too long

Cardiff tried to play the health and safety card a few years ago but there was a massive backlash.

There was one in Harare that shut down - it was one of the first 10 in the world and first outside the UK

Ah, see it above - Rolf valley

Being covered on Sky News this morning.

Was Nahoon Point the one on Oz that only existed for one week, then the council stopped it. Then a couple of years later it came back again?

Edit: Nope, seems I have the wrong continent. Ignore me. Move along. Nothing to see here. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

The decision in Stoke Gifford just seems an awful shame and even if you want to boil it down to costs v benefits it doesn't make sense. Do they want to charge individual runners to run in the park? Or dog owners to walk their dogs? Or kids to play on the odd looking swings pictured on their website?

Their comments in the press statement that they have to re-furbish the path because of the extra 300 runners using it on a weekly basis for three years is daft - think of how many people regularly walk and run on city paths all over the world and they don't have to be replaced that often!

I really hope they either see sense and invite parkrun back or the people involved find another location not too far away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement