Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

I ran that path once and once only! It's a bit of a climb alright. Did you cross the little bridge to the other side of the water? Once around the ponds is about 1k and once around the ponds plus the out and back tarmac path form the North Ring (entrance just behind the bottle banks across from the Glen boxing club) is about 1 mile. So 3 1 mile (with 3 out and back sections) would do it but it would be a bit messy to be fair. You could at in a lap of the soccer pitch but its a bit uneven and get very boggy in the winter. To be fair you couldn't care for very large numbers there and there's no real parking - except for Dunnes across the road in Ballyvolane. I love doing my easy runs down there, and there's a few hill trails for some variety. If you cross the bridge and go up the steps opposite that switchback section you end up on a path that brings you too Ballyvolane.

Here's Strava segment that's roughly the 1 mile lap. I'd cut out the small loop at the very right because it's not a great path there:

https://www.strava.com/segments/9370347

I didn't do the loop and come to a bit of a dead end before retracing my steps & tackling the zig-zags up to the road. Would be a hilarious place to start/finish a parkrun though :)

24vm91e.jpg

With no easy parking onsite/nearby I can guarantee you'll run into problems with the council. We managed to get around an extra 150 spaces outside of TV park and they still shot us down.

Still on a more positive note only a month to the kickoff event in Ballincollig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

opus wrote: »
    I didn't do the loop and come to a bit of a dead end before retracing my steps & tackling the zig-zags up to the road. Would be a hilarious place to start/finish a parkrun though :)

24vm91e.jpg

With no easy parking onsite/nearby I can guarantee you'll run into problems with the council. We managed to get around an extra 150 spaces outside of TV park and they still shot us down.

Still on a more positive note only a month to the kickoff event in Ballincollig!

Yeah - I thought as much re: the parking. In any case as you say, Ballincollig starts soon. I had hoped that maybe Ballincollig could enable TVP to start again but it sounds to me like you could organise 1000 car parking spots and Cork City Council wouldn't go for it. Someone has an issue it seems.

Anyway I'm glad you found the Glen and hope you enjoy a few runs around it and have a bit of an explore. It's always nice to find new places to run, and it's quiet and away form the traffic at least. Although I wouldn't go in there at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

There are some great photos on Irish Runner.com from Malahide last weekend for anybody that was there.
    http://irishrunner.com/parkrun-malahide-gallery/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Was due to be only two more weeks of Little Stoke parkrun left before they boot us out of the park, and I'm away the last week so this weekend was to be my final run there. Now there just happens to be a fun fair has been booked into the park for this weekend so the parkrun has been cancelled.

So without knowing it I've already run my last Little Stoke. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

robinph wrote: »
    Was due to be only two more weeks of Little Stoke parkrun left before they boot us out of the park, and I'm away the last week so this weekend was to be my final run there. Now there just happens to be a fun fair has been booked into the park for this weekend so the parkrun has been cancelled.

So without knowing it I've already run my last Little Stoke. :(

No backing down from the council then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No backing down from the council then?

Nope, and now they seem to have mysteriously booked a car boot sale for the following week without telling anyone in advance. Not sure if that will now cause the cancellation of the final event on the 28th, but people are not confident of it happening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nope, and now they seem to have mysteriously booked a car boot sale for the following week without telling anyone in advance. Not sure if that will now cause the cancellation of the final event on the 28th, but people are not confident of it happening now.

Thats really poor form from the council. Pity the usual Park runners don't all decided to do their saturday morning run in that park at say 9.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thats really poor form from the council. Pity the usual Park runners don't all decided to do their saturday morning run in that park at say 9.30.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Very disappointing that it has come to be cancelled. Its also a pity that the news cycle is so short lived now a days, I didn't realise it was going to be canned until you read it here.

Have you any other one within comfortable range, or do you think the organisers have another location in mind?

• Advertisement

There are a few other locations currently being looked into. One has tentative approval from everyone that needs to, and there isn't a parish council that could veto things despite it being less than half a mile away from the one being cancelled, but it is probably on too narrow a path through a nature reserve to be a direct replacement course without there being another close by so that numbers are a bit more limited.

My other half works in the same place as one of the run directors and there was mention over coffee this morning of another park a bit further away, and next to another leisure centre, that they are apparently fairly well along with trying to get approval for. The area really does need to have a couple of parkruns in close proximity though, so hopefully this one can get going soon'ish which would then take the pressure off another one starting up so close to the "former" Little Stoke location.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

Very poor from da council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Unofficial inter-club-off at Tymon parkrun today. Of course, the right club won out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

davedanon wrote: »
    Unofficial inter-club-off at Tymon parkrun today. Of course, the right club won out.

Oh dear, you're gonna have the parkrun police knocking on your door ......... didn't you know you can't "win" at parkrun????
    You're going down davedanon - going to be doing porridge!
    :eek:

We out-first-finished them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

davedanon wrote: »
    We out-first-finished them.

Excellent!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Hmmm...Parkrun is about racing against yourself. And the other club got a PB so; Losers! :p

cjt156 wrote: »
    Hmmm...Parkrun is about racing against yourself.

No it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

cjt156 wrote: »
    Hmmm...Parkrun is about racing against yourself. And the other club got a PB so; Losers! :p

That PB was my OH, that's just a parkrun PB, he was running the parkrun as his tempo. He didn't know he was supposed to be racing on behalf of the club ;-)

Just a bit of fun. I wouldn't downplay a Tymon pb, though. Bloody tough course. I'll be very happy the day I break 19 there. I've seen your OH there before. Think he did the same thing to me that time too. Likes to start slow and wind it up.

ps: his teammate knew. He had the BP singlet on.

Just got my apricot parkrun tshirt through with Little Stoke event printed on them. Now a collectors item of course. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Anyone know where the best place to find out about parkruns in America is (Tampa bay, Florida to be exact!). Heading over for 10 days and would love to do some Parkrun tourism. Google is proving less helpful than I thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the best place to find out about parkruns in America is (Tampa bay, Florida to be exact!). Heading over for 10 days and would love to do some Parkrun tourism. Google is proving less helpful than I thought!

Parkrun is the US is not well know at the moment - there are only 5 events in the whole country :eek: This is the page you need but it's not loading for me at the moment...http://www.parkrun.us/events/

Edit: Just got it to load. THere is one in Clermont FL which according to google maps is 73miles from Tampa
    http://www.parkrun.us/clermontwaterfront/

mel.b wrote: »
    Parkrun is the US is not well know at the moment - there are only 5 events in the whole country :eek: This is the page you need but it's not loading for me at the moment...http://www.parkrun.us/events/

Wow I had presumed there would be hundreds!!! There's one in Florida but I think it's probably much too far, will have to look for another run (and another holiday for some Parkrun tourism :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Yeah I was surprised too when I found out a few weeks ago. i had house sitters from the US staying and I was telling them about things they could do while here including the local parkrun and I looked up the US parkrun website which is when I saw there were only a few in the country.

If you zoom out on the Irish events map you'll be able to see the pins in the map for anywhere in the world, you'll just need to load the country specific site to be able to drill down the the list on the right of the map by region or place name.

There are difficulties with the setting up of parkruns in the US above the structure that is working for the UK and Ireland. Relations of mine are currently working through the process of trying to start up a second Washington DC event, but there are also hurdles with the lack of a national sponsor and each individual event having to start up from scratch with effectively creating a charity type structure and that then enables something else with the required insurance. Nothing like the setup for other countries, even more difficult than France where they had to get rid of finishing positions as one of the ways round the local regulations for France to do with races.

They are trying to create a way that new parkruns can be setup more easily in the US though, then it will hopefully take off.

If you zoom out on the Irish events map you'll be able to see the pins in the map for anywhere in the world, you'll just need to load the country specific site to be able to drill down the the list on the right of the map by region or place name.

There are difficulties with the setting up of parkruns in the US above the structure that is working for the UK and Ireland. Relations of mine are currently working through the process of trying to start up a second Washington DC event, but there are also hurdles with the lack of a national sponsor and each individual event having to start up from scratch with effectively creating a charity type structure and that then enables something else with the required insurance. Nothing like the setup for other countries, even more difficult than France where they had to get rid of finishing positions as one of the ways round the local regulations for France to do with races.

They are trying to create a way that new parkruns can be setup more easily in the US though, then it will hopefully take off.

Thanks for that! Was wondering what was stopping it taking off, hopefully it will soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Ran Cabinteely this morning for the first time, we usually run at Shanganagh but as we had a late night yesterday and knew we wouldn't be a anywhere near our PBs we decided it was a good time to try somewhere nearby. It's actually slightly closer to us as the crow flies.

Lovely setting, lovely day, friendly crowd as you'd expect at Parkrun but feck me - that's a tough course! The hills, the hills, they'll be in my nightmares for weeks I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

ionapaul wrote: »
    Ran Cabinteely this morning for the first time, we usually run at Shanganagh but as we had a late night yesterday and knew we wouldn't be a anywhere near our PBs we decided it was a good time to try somewhere nearby. It's actually slightly closer to us as the crow flies.

Lovely setting, lovely day, friendly crowd as you'd expect at Parkrun but feck me - that's a tough course! The hills, the hills, they'll be in my nightmares for weeks I think :)

I hope you'll be back :) they're just speed bumps really :p

I ran St Anne's this morning I really enjoyed the run . It was a beautiful but warm morning . The new course is great thanks to all the volunteers who make it all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

This morning in Porterstown, in my 50th Parkrun, I managed to nail a PB, finally beating a time that was set almost two years ago in the Malahide PR. Sweet. Beautiful day for it, couldn't have gone any better really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I ran St Anne's this morning I really enjoyed the run . It was a beautiful but warm morning . The new course is great thanks to all the volunteers who make it all possible.

Glad you enjoyed it. I wasnt there myself but by the sounds of it, Brian and the crew made sure you had a great one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Should have said Hello. Myself and Yaboya were among the pacers. Next time. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

This morning in Porterstown, in my 50th Parkrun, I managed to nail a PB, finally beating a time that was set almost two years ago in the Malahide PR. Sweet. Beautiful day for it, couldn't have gone any better really!

Well done on both the 50th and the PB, J.

FBOT01 wrote: »

Should have said Hello. Myself and Yaboya were among the pacers. Next time. Glad you enjoyed it.

I know I met you and Murph last time I was there but I'm useless for remembering faces so I wouldn't know either of you if i had met you yesterday. I was chatiing to few fellow participants yesterday Next time I'll make myself known I know there's a good few posters here involved in St Anne's.

FBOT01 wrote: »

I know I met you and Murph last time I was there but I'm useless for remembering faces so I wouldn't know either of you if i had met you yesterday. I was chatiing to few fellow participants yesterday. Next time I'll make myself known, I know there's a good few posters here involved in St Anne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Firedance wrote: »
    I hope you'll be back :) they're just speed bumps really :p

That's the spirit ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jakejudy123

Just to let parkrunners know that Lough Key parkrun, Boyle, Co. Roscommon is up and running now. Check fb page for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Hi where's the closest park run to ucd guys? Gonna be in dub sat morn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

newwan wrote: »
    Hi where's the closest park run to ucd guys? Gonna be in dub sat morn

I'm gonna jump in and say Cabinteely! If you're driving its straight out the N11 or there are lots of bus options :)

• Advertisement

The course for the Ballincollig parkrun looks good. Might have a crack at a PB there when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

I have not run st annes for a few months.

How has the course changed and is it better or worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

charkee wrote: »

Better I think, still 2 laps, has a slow decline and a sharpish incline at end of the lap. That long straight from before was bit of a slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

I think I prefer the new course but it is entirely subjective. Instead of the 'avenue of death' on the old course we now have 'a little climb' (Annie's Folly) on the new course. The 'little climb' is a couple of hundred metres from the finish but is a great ol' test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Griffeen parkrun just shared this on twitter, it's the parkrun briefing done as a rap!

Anybody know which event it was filmed at?

I think it was Kesgrave parkrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

There's 100% more sunshine on the new course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Definitely better, more scenic, one solid downhill and one solid uphill. Sun in your face for the finish and less dogs to jump over.

The course for the Ballincollig parkrun looks good. Might have a crack at a PB there when it starts.

Fairly flat so should be quick.

Btw we're looking for a few volunteers for the first event if anyone in the Cork area is free for ~1.5 hours on the morning of Sat 18th?

Going to miss out myself as I'm in Dublin that weekend :(

opus wrote:
    Btw we're looking for a few volunteers for the first event if anyone in the Cork area is free for ~1.5 hours on the morning of Sat 18th?

From what time? I'm not hell bent on running it and at the moment I'm free that morning.

From what time? I'm not hell bent on running it and at the moment I'm free that morning.

Normally we used to show up at ~9am for the 9.30 start in Tramore Valley but might be a little earlier for the first one. Best bet is to email ballincollighelpers at parkrun.com and our ED for the event will let you know the story.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement