Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

For those that have been following the saga of Little Stoke parkrun in the uk , i'm disappointed to say it has not had a happy ending
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/news/ - Announcing the closure of Little Stoke parkrun
    All I feel now is sad for the community that has lost such a valuable resource

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Downtime wrote: »
    Definitely better, more scenic, one solid downhill and one solid uphill. Sun in your face for the finish and less dogs to jump over.

Am I the only one who liked the Avenue??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

No, I loved the avenue!! But then my 'local' parkrun is covered in speed bumps :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    No, I loved the avenue!! But then my 'local' parkrun is covered in speed bumps :p

Same here, I liked it better on the second lap though! Haven't tried the new course yet, marshalled on the first day near the top of Mt Playground and the hill looked tough, but overall most people were positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Hi all, just a quick question, I've yet to do a parkrun as my long runs are usually Saturdays but it was suggested that incorporating a PR into my long run might make be good for a change, many here do similar?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hi all, just a quick question, I've yet to do a parkrun as my long runs are usually Saturdays but it was suggested that incorporating a PR into my long run might make be good for a change, many here do similar?

Have either done a run to and from a parkrun, or for another that is further away, have pushed the buggy round the parkrun and then run back home afterwards whilst the buggy passenger gets driven back home. That way we both get to run as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Pawwed Rig wrote:

I also liked it, gave you a good long straight to attack for the finish. I think I prefer the old route, the hill on the new course just comes to close to the end for me. Be interesting to see if they stick with the new route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Downtime wrote: »
    Definitely better, more scenic, one solid downhill and one solid uphill. Sun in your face for the finish and less dogs to jump over.

I liked the avenue too and having the long run into the finish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The Muppet wrote: »
    I liked the avenue too and having the long run into the finish .

Straight and slightly downhill. Great for a fast finish if you're able. A miserable slog if you're jiggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm thinking of doing limerick parkrun tomorrow. Is there anywhere to get changed afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Amigaman wrote: »
    For those that have been following the saga of Little Stoke parkrun in the uk , i'm disappointed to say it has not had a happy ending
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/news/ - Announcing the closure of Little Stoke parkrun
    All I feel now is sad for the community that has lost such a valuable resource

Still can't quite get my head around the thinking of the councillors, and the local MP, who as far as I can tell have been the only ones voicing an opinion of thinking it's right to charge parkrun. Admittedly we are going to be being exposed to more views on social media that support our opinion than oppose it as that is just the nature of how social media works, but I have tried to search out any supporting views for charging and they are just not out there as far as I can tell.

Don't think I'll be changing my parkrun profile to a new home run, even if I do end up going to another regularly. Will leave it showing "Little Stoke" for as long as I can. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Is anybody else doing a parkrun in the sun tomorrow? I know its too hot for some people

Is anybody else doing a parkrun in the sun tomorrow? I know its too hot for some people

I'm planning on doing Limerick for the first time. Ennis would be nice & shaded as it's through the woods for most of it. It shouldn't be 'that' warm at 9.30 to put people off (as an Australian i refuse to call the current weather hot :D:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing Limerick for the first time. Ennis would be nice & shaded as it's through the woods for most of it. It shouldn't be 'that' warm at 9.30 to put people off (as an Australian i refuse to call the current weather hot :D:p)

I think your right. Nice weather if u ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

opus wrote: »
    Normally we used to show up at ~9am for the 9.30 start in Tramore Valley but might be a little earlier for the first one. Best bet is to email ballincollighelpers at parkrun.com and our ED for the event will let you know the story.

Done and sorted. I won't be running, but it will be my first time volunteering so I'm looking forward to it.

Well done H B S - Volunteering at parkrun is always good craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Ran Donabate this morning (new bridge house)

Have ran Malahide Old bridge and Ardgillan previously. Have to say Donabate is now my favourite. Loved running with all the farm animals in view.

Will def be back

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing limerick parkrun tomorrow. Is there anywhere to get changed afterwards?

Just to follow on from this, the Limerick parkrun website says that toilets are available at the boathouse. However the boathouse wasn't open before the start and it didn't look open when we finished either (although I didn't actually go and check).

The first Albert College junior parkrun went off very well this morning... 132 runners on a lovely morning, the park looked great and we all survived! Kids and parents seemed to enjoy it, there was a coffee cart for refreshments after, expert help on hand from Matt from parkrun and some of the St Anne's crew pitched in too.

Kudos to the event director who did a great job getting it up and running.

The energy of the kids at the start is just brilliant. The joy of running! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

annapr wrote: »
    The first Albert College junior parkrun went off very well this morning... 132 runners on a lovely morning, the park looked great and we all survived! Kids and parents seemed to enjoy it, there was a coffee cart for refreshments after, expert help on hand from Matt from parkrun and some of the St Anne's crew pitched in too.

Fair play Anna - sounds like it was a great success today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

annapr wrote: »

Congrats to all involved in getting this up and running. FairPlay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Running Kilkenny parkrun Saturday with a friends and it's her 1st parkrun. Just wondering if anyone has an elevation graph of Kilkenny parkrun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

scheister wrote: »
    Running Kilkenny parkrun Saturday with a friends and it's her 1st parkrun. Just wondering if anyone has an elevation graph of Kilkenny parkrun?
    Don't know how to upload elevation graph but there is a bit of a hill that you encounter 3 times on the 2 1/2 loop circuit. It's not too steep but does make the run a little tough.

I make it 12 meter rise in 500 meters -but it feels like more especially 3rd time around - https://www.strava.com/activities/223158292

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Highbury Fields does when it has pacers for special occasions but that's probably not much good to you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

pac_man wrote: »
    Is there any parkrun that has a sub 20 pacer?

St Anne's does, think its the last run of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Dub13 wrote: »
    St Anne's does, think its the last run of the month.

We had one today too, but that was a last minute walk up, we didn't know in advance. But yep, last Saturday of the month is pace day, keep an eye on our facebook for details of pace bands (changeable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

pac_man wrote: »
    Is there any parkrun that has a sub 20 pacer?

castletown parkrun have a 20 minute pacer this weekend

**Edit our Sub 20 pacer actually has to work now. Will post if we get a replacement **

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Sub 20 - I do it on occasions if asked nicely, but you have to come to Belfast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone doing parkrun de Mandavit in Bordeaux tomorrow?
    Gonna try and drag ourselves along if we can get up early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Ballincollig, Co Cork parkrun starting up tomorrow. Anyone going? Hopefully this one will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Anyone doing parkrun de Mandavit in Bordeaux tomorrow?
    Gonna try and drag ourselves along if we can get up early.

Have a good one, P. We will except nothing less than a 1st finisher from one of you. A 1,2,3 would set you up nicely for the day. Enjoy the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Did a fastish recovery run at the cabinteely parkrun this morning, first time up there.

Really nice local run, although not really a "PB" course. Doing that hills 3 times is a tad sadistic but really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

female winner and possible female course record at father collins park this morning.visitor from yorkshire over for a half mara in kildare tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Ruginator

Fantastic first park run today in Ballincollig. Well done to the organisers and volunteers for getting off it the ground. Brilliant to have this up and running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Ruginator wrote: »
    Fantastic first park run today in Ballincollig. Well done to the organisers and volunteers for getting off it the ground. Brilliant to have this up and running

Very enjoyable and nice fast course. The parking at Lidl should take the pressure off the main car park.

New parkrun has gone "live" on facebook - River Valley parkrun Sowards Co. Dublin has a start date of the 23rd July - https://www.facebook.com/rivervalleyparkrun/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

New parkrun has gone "live" on facebook - River Valley parkrun Sowards Co. Dublin has a start date of the 23rd July - https://www.facebook.com/rivervalleyparkrun/

Just saw a few minutes ago. Looking forward to it, a new local run. Be interested in seeing the course. Will incorporate it into my weekly training sessions more than likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Just saw a few minutes ago. Looking forward to it, a new local run. Be interested in seeing the course. Will incorporate it into my weekly training sessions more than likely
    Could be some very interesting hills in that one . A parkrun in Swords is great news though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did Tymon yesterday while back home visiting family - first one since the little fella arrived. Just about broke 30 minutes, a lot to do over the next while!

• Advertisement

Got a new parkrun buggy PB yesterday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Albert College junior parkrun is bedding in nicely after three weeks as we all learn the ropes. We were delighted to have use of the St. Anne's megaphone today. ;) Good to meet Mulberry this morning, all the way from Meath with her brood!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

River Valley run ,good for Swords .could be hilly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Ruginator wrote: »

All went really well by all accounts, missed it myself unfortunately. Bunch of photos from one the Eagle A/C runners are here.

Swords. Good stuff. Ill come down for that

robinph wrote: »
    Got a new parkrun buggy PB yesterday. :)

Had to sneak out of Glastonbury for a day so went back to do a parkrun. Managed to knock over 30 seconds off last weeks time on the same course and finally claim a sub 20 pushing the buggy. :D

Cider obviously has some magic ingredient to make you run faster without training.

Visited Dungloe parkrun today, first time doing a parkrun in my home county... Very nice course, friendly crew... Enjoyed doing a smaller event for a change, only downside was there were way more midges than runners :)

Well worth checking out.

River Valley site is live
    http://www.parkrun.ie/rivervalley/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

edisonolmy wrote: »
    River Valley site is live
    http://www.parkrun.ie/rivervalley/

Was hoping for it to start on the other side of the park but no bother I'll just have to incorporate my warmup into getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Athlone parkrun are celebrating their 1st birthday this Saturday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement