Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

"It's cabinteely and they're 4 and 2 1/2 so they're at the stage where even a short walk takes a long time! And I'm being selfish and thinking that some time out for me is no harm, my hubby will be there to entertain"

Good for you. Enjoy your first one. Maybe your hubby and kids can join the volunteer rota in the future- lots of kids love helping to barcode scan etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good for you. Enjoy your first one. Maybe your hubby and kids can join the volunteer rota in the future- lots of kids love helping to barcode scan etc.

My lad is 2 1/2 but I am not sure he'd be up to bar code scanning yet. Maybe barcode scanner eating or losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

crisco10 wrote: »
    Ha, learn something new every day...

I just noticed that the Marlay Course actually follows the path at the top of the concert field...I had always just followed other runners who followed the line of the grass verge . It was only that I noticed one runner religiously sticking to the path that made me think.

So turns out I've been cutting a corner (along with everyone else)!
    Marlay is measured to the grass verge so as long as you are not running on the grass you are not cutting corners. The course has been measured remeasured and measured again using calibrated measuring wheels. The reason for all the remeasuring and calibration of measuring wheels was the consistent short measurements recorded on our Garmins. We have gone to a lot of effort to measure Marlay parkrun and while we are confident it is 5km, at the end of the day it is a parkrun and if anyone asks how long our course is the response is it is somewhere around 5km we hope you enjoy the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

LiamMcC wrote: »
    Marlay is measured to the grass verge so as long as you are not running on the grass you are not cutting corners. The course has been measured remeasured and measured again using calibrated measuring wheels. The reason for all the remeasuring and calibration of measuring wheels was the consistent short measurements recorded on our Garmins. We have gone to a lot of effort to measure Marlay parkrun and while we are confident it is 5km, at the end of the day it is a parkrun and if anyone asks how long our course is the response is it is approximately 5km.

Stick to your guns, Liam. Tell 'em it's 5k on the nose and if they've a problem take it up with Garmin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In St Anne's my Garmin tells me that rather than running over the bridge I actually run through the river :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

God, that was tough! Made slightly easier by my kids cheering me on as i crawled up that hill for the 3rd time. Great run and lovely group, will defo be back.

Has anyone done the longford run? I'm assuming it's flat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did my second this morning, a whole year after the first. Hope to keep going now that my Saturday mornings are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I live in Sligo, although Ballina is my nearest park run, did my 3rd this morning, and have taken 4 minutes off my time, so am feeling very pleased with myself. I have been doing the C25K and this morning was the first time I ran the whole thing, I never thought I could run 5km a few months ago :)

God, that was tough! Made slightly easier by my kids cheering me on as i crawled up that hill for the 3rd time. Great run and lovely group, will defo be back.

Has anyone done the longford run? I'm assuming it's flat?

I am working in Longford next Saturday, start at 11am, so am going to do Lough Key on the way - yes, I have been well and truly bitten by the bug - I was going to do the Longford one, but thought it would probably be a bit boring, and I love Lough Key. I've been to the leisure centre in Longford though and would say that yes, it is flat, going on the area around it.

If you're on holiday down that way next week, Lough Key is only about 30 minutes from Longford, and has loads of things for the family to do, the kids would love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

muddypaws wrote: »
    I live in Sligo, although Ballina is my nearest park run, did my 3rd this morning, and have taken 4 minutes off my time, so am feeling very pleased with myself. I have been doing the C25K and this morning was the first time I ran the whole thing, I never thought I could run 5km a few months ago :)

I am working in Longford next Saturday, start at 11am, so am going to do Lough Key on the way - yes, I have been well and truly bitten by the bug - I was going to do the Longford one, but thought it would probably be a bit boring, and I love Lough Key. I've been to the leisure centre in Longford though and would say that yes, it is flat, going on the area around it.

If you're on holiday down that way next week, Lough Key is only about 30 minutes from Longford, and has loads of things for the family to do, the kids would love it.

Well done muddypaws!! you're hooked now :)

+1 to lough key, if you have the opportunity do this one, the views are stunning, the parkrun is probably the prettiest I've done and the post run coffee overlooking the lake makes everything worthwhile, including the 2 hour drive I had to get there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The young fella is mad to do Lough Key Parkrun. We'd love to make a weekend of it, stay in Carrick, do Parkrun and explore Lough Key Forest park for a few hours. It's to find a free weekend though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

We had out first go at having a pacer in Ballincollig this morning (moi!) with a small group aiming for just under 25 mins, my first time doing such a thing but was quite pleased to finish in 24:53.

Do other parkruns have similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

ran river valley park run today .Two tough hills,but enjoyed it.eased my pre run reservations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opus wrote: »
    We had out first go at having a pacer in Ballincollig this morning (moi!) with a small group aiming for just under 25 mins, my first time doing such a thing but was quite pleased to finish in 24:53.

Varies depending on course and volunteer availability. My old home event used to have pacers once a month, but only if all other roles were filled and you then also need willing runners.

I tried pacing and found it very tricky for such a short distance. Pacing a marathon was way easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Did Oranmore. Enjoyed it. Tough enough two lapper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

David Gillick wrote a great article in the Parkrun Newsletter about how Parkrun "ignited my passion for running once again, when I didn’t think anything could."

Well worth a read if you haven't seen it

http://www.parkrun.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

opus wrote: »

Well done. More on target than my attempt.

St Anne's have pacers the last Saturday of the month. Times vary due to those willing to volunteer. Mrs Mc recently and successfully paced my friend.

I paced Annapr last year. We had a great time and she now has a 5km PB that doesn't need any work for a while. First sub 25 ended in 24:2x. I blame the tree coverage for being slightly off target. She was extremely pleased, once she'd forgiven me.

Bit of a weird one but has anyone ever got a parkrun result for a run they DIDN'T do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Bit of a weird one but has anyone ever got a parkrun result for a run they DIDN'T do?

Nope, could be that someone's number was written down wrong at the other event. Worth messaging that event and get them to check the handwriting on their "didn't scan" list.

The didn't scan list should only ever include numbers, as this will avoid mistakes like that being made. Plus, if a barcode genuinely does not scan, the runner will have it in their possession, and you'll be able to note the number.

Typically when a name is written down without a number on the `didn't scan' list, it is more a case of the runner having forgotten their barcode or having `lost it on the course'. These should not be added manually. Amazing how many people lose it on the course.

You can use the search facility under the parkrun results menu to see how many other parkrunners share your name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

this happened at our parkrun one week. we wrote down the number and name but missed a digit on the number so serched by time. Few days later got a message from some lad in liverpool wondering why he was getting a time for an irish parkrun he did not do

Could have numbers missing or get 7 and 1 mixed up for instance. Depends on how bad their handwriting is.

I write the number, name and ask for their home parkrun if on manuals. I'm strict about the no barcode rule. I ask other volunteers to do the same but sometimes they feel they are being mean denying someone a time so they'll write the name down even if there's no barcode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    Well done. More on target than my attempt.

St Anne's have pacers the last Saturday of the month. Times vary due to those willing to volunteer. Mrs Mc recently and successfully paced my friend.

I paced Annapr last year. We had a great time and she now has a 5km PB that doesn't need any work for a while. First sub 25 ended in 24:2x. I blame the tree coverage for being slightly off target. She was extremely pleased, once she'd forgiven me.

I'm still pleased with that time, in fact I can't believe it any more... And I still haven't forgiven you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sometimes if a runner turns up without their barcode the volunteers will manually enter their name. They could have just picked the wrong name from the list.

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Sometimes if a runner turns up without their barcode the volunteers will manually enter their name. They could have just picked the wrong name from the list.
    That's a big `no' from me when I'm doing run director. Rather than forgetting, too many people just don't bother bringing their barcode and chance their arm. I know some smaller events that have no problem adding people manually because it's not as time consuming, but HQ asks events not to do this as it might create issues/arguments elsewhere

• Advertisement

edisonolmy wrote: »
    That's a big `no' from me when I'm doing run director. Rather than forgetting, too many people just don't bother bringing their barcode and chance their arm. I know some smaller events that have no problem adding people manually because it's not as time consuming, but HQ asks events not to do this as it might create issues/arguments elsewhere

Sometimes just writing down the name on the sheet can defuse an argument from happening with the volunteer with the clipboard and the parkrunner who forgot their barcode. You can then just leave them off the results later on and have them deal with any queries via email with the event director, rather than putting the volunteer in a tricky situation who may not be up to speed on the DFYB protocols and argumentative parkrunners or parkrunner parents.

That's what I do. I just leave them off the results if there's no number on the sheet. I also ask the volunteers to send any argumentative runners to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I just registered for Parkrun under the Ireland flag. I'm heading over to London for the weekend and want to run a Parkrun there, do I just print out my barcode and bring it along?

I just registered for Parkrun under the Ireland flag. I'm heading over to London for the weekend and want to run a Parkrun there, do I just print out my barcode and bring it along?

Yep, same barcode will do you for every parkrun the world over :) enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Firedance wrote: »
    Yep, same barcode will do you for every parkrun the world over :) enjoy!

Sound out! :)

• Advertisement

Had this very situation at Tymon on Saturday. Was doing tokens when a girl finished and started babbling at me about having a UK barcode. Took me a second to realise what she was saying, and I was able to reassure her that her barcode would work anywhere in the world.

Out of the blue - parkrun Canada has launched - with two events starting within weeks. DC is also getting a second parkrun, on Roosevelt Island in the Potomac River.

There is another event to come very soon in DC in addition to the Roosevelt Island one. You didn't hear that from me though, it's still top secret... ish and they are waiting on confirmation of their start date.

parkrun finally seem to have cottoned onto the fact that America is a very big place and that having a couple of events on opposite ends of a continent is never going to work, so are instead focusing on getting more events started in closer proximity to each other with Washington DC being their current target. Then hopefully it will start to gain momentum and spread out from there.

robinph wrote: »
    There is another event to come very soon in DC in addition to the Roosevelt Island one. You didn't hear that from me though, it's still top secret... ish and they are waiting on confirmation of their start date.

parkrun finally seem to have cottoned onto the fact that America is a very big place and that having a couple of events on opposite ends of a continent is never going to work, so are instead focusing on getting more events started in closer proximity to each other with Washington DC being their current target. Then hopefully it will start to gain momentum and spread out from there.

Your secret is safe with us....... would love to see one in Chicago, Lincoln Park will do nicely, I won't be over again until next spring so lots of time for *someone* to organise that :)

Been a while since I was in DC - 17 years in fact, which is frightening. Good excuse to go back, although I'd sooner go to Canada

robinph wrote: »
    Varies depending on course and volunteer availability. My old home event used to have pacers once a month, but only if all other roles were filled and you then also need willing runners.

I tried pacing and found it very tricky for such a short distance. Pacing a marathon was way easier.

Yeah I was worried about that as well but thankfully it went ok.
    aquinn wrote: »

Of the small group, 3 or 4 pushed on a small bit in the final k while I stayed with the person who was struggling a bit, they wouldn't have made 24:2x that's for sure :)

We've decided to follow along with the idea of doing it once a month so will aim for the first Sat of each month, few people have already come forward willing to get involved so looking forward to the next one in Sept.

Good news about Washington, I'm going to be there for a week in Oct so was hoping to make the existing parkrun in Fletcher's Cove, the new one will save me 5 miles of jogging (twice) from my friend's place it looks like :)

The not yet announced other new DC event will be to the north east, officially outside of DC, but for us foreigners it's all the same really. :)

Baltimore

...or closer, say, College Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

crisco10 wrote: »
    So turns out I've been cutting a corner (along with everyone else)!

Here at Oldbridge I saw a mother-daughter pair cutting an entire field (about a 1km) and dashing straight to finish. I think it's okay, it's a Parkrun. :D

positron wrote: »
    Here at Oldbridge I saw a mother-daughter pair cutting an entire field (about a 1km) and dashing straight to finish. I think it's okay, it's a parkrun. :D

FYP :p

Hey guys, thanks for your comments about a friend who appeared on a parkrun they didn't do. I'm guessing it was to do with the parkrun manually entering his name, it was just a coincidence that it was the last parkrun he had done a few weeks before and it wasn't his home parkrun. But we checked and yes there are actually a few people with the same name on the parkrun website. And only one other person with my name!

Anytime I've helped at the finish line eg token, barcode scanning, we have taken the person's full name and what their home parkrun is. But they might only be 2 out of a field of 50 odd and are usually someone older or are new to parkrun. Otherwise it is someone who genuinely forgot their barcode.

positron wrote: »
    Here at Oldbridge I saw a mother-daughter pair cutting an entire field (about a 1km) and dashing straight to finish. I think it's okay, it's a Parkrun. :D

There's a Rathfarnham AC runner with a massive parkrun pb because he lopped off about 300 metres of the Tymon course. It's still in the records. It's one thing cutting the course, be it accidentally or on purpose, and quite another allowing the dodgy time to stand, imo. It might be only parkrun, but cheating is cheating.

I accidentally cut a course short and ended up in 1st place - it happened in the 2nd of 3 laps, the 1st and 3rd I got right, although I had no idea where I had gone wrong until I saw my Garmin Connect entry for the run.

I swapped chips with the guy that should have won, but he got my faster time and I got his time for 2nd. I asked that the times be changed, but they said `don't worry about it'.

Someone did the same thing at an event up here recently, but he realised as soon as he crossed the line. He would have won anyway, so we just worked out what his time would have been had he run the proper course and edited his finish time when processing results.

I got a 3rd finisher at a parkrun recently after the guy in first got lost and ended up doing an extra lap. There is a quite tricky bit on that course where if you've not done it before you could easily miss as you are in the middle of lapping slower runners, crossing a foot bridge where you can only really go single file, coming out of a wooded section where all of the lapped runners are all being told to keep left, then take a right turn in the path and 10 meters later the people heading for the finish have to take a different left turn one side of a bunch of trees whilst the other runners carry on to the right of the trees for their next lap.
    If the marshal stood there isn't paying attention to watch out for the leaders, and the leaders haven't done the course before it would be virtually impossible to spot the route you have to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Edit: Never mind, saw subsequent post which clarified things.

The Sweden and Canada sites are both live now. Hopefully both countries are a success

Some good motivational chalking at Ballincollig this morning :)

2ivmjd5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Went to the park run this morning. Got to drive a combine harvester

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement