Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

jamule wrote: »
    Went to the park run this morning. Got to drive a combine harvester
    What??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

:-) - I'm going to guess Johnstown parkrun ... am i right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just wondering why no results posted yet from Marlay Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

Just wondering why no results posted yet from Marlay Park?

Marlay results published now, result processor had a few family activities to take care of first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Did my first parkrun in Ballincollig this morning-loved it! Especially the motivational chalk messages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Amigaman wrote: »
    :-) - I'm going to guess Johnstown parkrun ... am i right ?

Oldbridge, the 5yr old had my head wrecked when we seen the combine going down, had to stop for a look on the way home. The driver stopped and called us over and away we went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just thought I'd chip in here and say I love the whole Parkrun thing.

Fitness had gone to pot the last few years (kids, serious back injury) but over the last 3 months have found Parkrun a really nice way to motivate myself to go out running during the week with the 'race' on Saturday to keep myself motivated. Started off at over 31 mins and just over 26 mins last Saturday.

Have gotten a few friends into it as well. None of us will ever join a running club. But the camaraderie and encouragement of the Parkrun setup is fantastic. And the ability to rock up to any one in Ireland or the UK and know the score is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

quad_red wrote: »
    And the ability to rock up to any one in Ireland or the UK and know the score is class.

Or anywhere else in the world ;)
    Totally agree btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Shout out here for the Castletown park run organiser who seems absolutely mad but jogged/walked me over the finish line of my first 5km today in Celbridge. I'm as slow as a wet week but will be along to park run on Saturday in a bid to keep the fitness goals going

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Castletown's event director is great - gave me a certificate for my 100th parkrun, even when it was their 1sts event and they probably had loads of other stuff to be worrying about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Enjoyed my first Parkrun in London. The closest one to me at home is 40 minutes away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Enjoyed my first Parkrun in London. The closest one to me at home is 40 minutes away!

I pass 4 parkruns on my way to my favourite one, closest one is 10 mins from my house but my favourite is about 30 mins :p

Hope you enjoyed it!

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Castletown's event director is great - gave me a certificate for my 100th parkrun, even when it was their 1sts event and they probably had loads of other stuff to be worrying about.

If it's the same lady then she's absolutely lovely. I was last at the 5k but made it at 49 which was 4 mins under my PB and I'm looking forward to park run now and keeping it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

If it's the same lady then she's absolutely lovely. I was last at the 5k but made it at 49 which was 4 mins under my PB and I'm looking forward to park run now and keeping it up

It's the same lady all right. She is the ED in Castletown. One of the nicest women u will meet. Always willing to help others

scheister wrote: »
    It's the same lady all right. She is the ED in Castletown. One of the nicest women u will meet. Always willing to help others

Yeah I'm mad nervous about going to park run but she's too nice to let down and it will be good motivation for me. Pretty darn sore after yesterday right now tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Out of curiosity - which one did you do?

I'm home for a week - babysitting pending, I'll most likely get down to Tymon this weekend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My local Parkrun is off this weekend, due to another event, so am going to head to Erris instead. It looks like a great place to go for a run, has anyone ever run there? I thought I'd try it in August, rather than in the middle of winter, with the Atlantic winds hitting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Out of curiosity - which one did you do?

I'm home for a week - babysitting pending, I'll most likely get down to Tymon this weekend. :)

Good weekend for a bit of parkrun banditry. Everyone will be doing the Frank Duffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Anyone in Ennis for the Fleadh. There is no parkrun in lees road as there is another event taking place that morning from less road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Did the longford run this morning, what a miserable morning! Nice flat course but running on wet gravel was tough.

Great volunteers and great support from runners and volunteers alike around the course. As I hadn't done it before I didn't know that there's a reduced rate available for the pool, which would be a great cool down and shower facilities for days like this! Will definitely do again if I'm in the area

• Advertisement

First parkrun or walk in my case done in Castletown this morning. What a horrible horrible morning it was too but sure look it won't be that bad next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I headed down to Vandeleur Parkrun in Kilrush this morning. The rain actually stayed mostly away which was a pleasent surprise. Very small number - i'd say around 15 people. It's a 5km single loop. Apparently they normally have a lead bike, but didn't today. All they said in the race briefing was to follow some kid as he must do it every weekend. That's fine if you're fast and can keep up with the kid :( Serious lack of signage throughout the run - not a single junction was marked (well, one had been but the arrow had been knocked off so it was still no help). Myself and another girl ended up running almost an extra km. And right at the end, from looking at someone elses strava map of the run, it looks like you are meant to run past the turn to the finish, go up a little bit & then turn back. This wasn't mentioned in the race briefing either and because we had already run more than 5km when we saw the arrow that was pointing straight ahead (but the race finish was to our left) we turned left. I was giving out about that sign as well at the finish but now I realise it was correct and we should have done straight and doubled back. Apparently though, we weren't the only ones who got lost :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

muddypaws wrote: »
    My local Parkrun is off this weekend, due to another event, so am going to head to Erris instead. It looks like a great place to go for a run, has anyone ever run there? I thought I'd try it in August, rather than in the middle of winter, with the Atlantic winds hitting it.

:eek: how did that work out for you today???

annapr wrote: »
    :eek: how did that work out for you today???

Hehehe. It was actually ok, it was a bit blustery on the drive over, completely dry and still for the run, started raining again when we were all finished and back at the cars, then was pretty nasty on the way home :D

Lovely venue, and not knowing the trail, we could see people going up a hill at the end, and my heart was sinking thinking we had to finish on it, came round a corner and saw the finish at the bottom of the hill - phew.

Loads at kids at this particular run, its great to see them all so enthusiastic, out having fun with their parents, brothers, sisters etc.

I love the concept of Park Run, a friend came along today to her first ever one, she is a total convert, wants us to do the 3 hour round trip to Erris once a month, I'm not sure about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I read that there will be a Parkrun starting up in Gorey, Co. Wexford soon. There is a big gap in the east coast Parkruns between the ones in South Dublin and and the one in Wexford Town. Not seen any details yet as seems to be in early planning stages but would be a welcome addition.

mel.b wrote: »
    I headed down to Vandeleur Parkrun in Kilrush this morning. The rain actually stayed mostly away which was a pleasent surprise. Very small number - i'd say around 15 people. It's a 5km single loop. Apparently they normally have a lead bike, but didn't today. All they said in the race briefing was to follow some kid as he must do it every weekend. That's fine if you're fast and can keep up with the kid :( Serious lack of signage throughout the run - not a single junction was marked (well, one had been but the arrow had been knocked off so it was still no help). Myself and another girl ended up running almost an extra km. And right at the end, from looking at someone elses strava map of the run, it looks like you are meant to run past the turn to the finish, go up a little bit & then turn back. This wasn't mentioned in the race briefing either and because we had already run more than 5km when we saw the arrow that was pointing straight ahead (but the race finish was to our left) we turned left. I was giving out about that sign as well at the finish but now I realise it was correct and we should have done straight and doubled back. Apparently though, we weren't the only ones who got lost :(
    A friend of mine ran it and had to stop and wait for the person behind him to find out which direction he should have been going. He said there appeared to be enough marshals, but they were all "standing talking at the start/finish line". He reckons he lost a minute trying to work out which way to go at an unmarked junction.

If a course is not straightforward, you really need to have proper signage and/or marshals in place. Not everyone is going to accept a `sure, it's just a bit of fun' approach, because not everyone is going to be able to come back the next week.

It's Stormont's first birthday on Saturday coming - same day as Bere Island's second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Did the Parkrun in Tralee at the weekend.

I'd say they're not used to the numbers (200+) cos it seriously bottlenecked at the start because people weren't given a chance to put themselves into an appropriate starting position.

As in - I wouldn't put myself at the front but had to run through the muck to let some of the serious runners through but then I had to try and get around allot of people for the first km.

But, as always, seriously sound crowd and a great atmosphere.

Running through the finish line after every lap being cheered on by twenty roses lining either side has got to go down as a bizarre life experience!

Roses eh? I was disappointed the Marys didn't show up at Dungloe the weekend I was up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

If a course is not straightforward, you really need to have proper signage and/or marshals in place. Not everyone is going to accept a `sure, it's just a bit of fun' approach, because not everyone is going to be able to come back the next week.

Most certainly, hopefully some feedback was passed on to the local team? Having been involved into the start up of two parkruns myself, I know that feedback from the participants is a vital part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

opus wrote: »
    Most certainly, hopefully some feedback was passed on to the local team? Having been involved into the start up of two parkruns myself, I know that feedback from the participants is a vital part of it.

I certainly did when I finished. There are too many junctions for marshalls at each one I think, but certainly arrows could be placed at each intersection showing you which way to go. I didn't mind that I ran more than 5km but it was just so frustrating not knowing which way to go or where you were, or even if you were still on the right trail. At one point we ended up outside the park boundries and i think the girl I was running with would have continued down that road if I hadn't of said that I think this is road and that we are outside the park.

Normally they have a lead bike - how does that work? Does the person on the lead bike stay at each junction until everyone is past it and then cycles to catch up to the front runners (hopefully) before the next junction or do they just stay out in front all the time (which is no good to those of us at the back when everyone else is out of sight)?

I had mentioned on my fb page about the run and that I got lost. At first my parents were like 'how did you get lost on a 5km run', so I tried to explain to them. Then my mum, bless her heart asked 'were you so far out in front that there was no one to follow :D:p:pac:. I sadly had to break it to her that i was so far behind there was no one to follow!!!

mel.b wrote: »

I had mentioned on my fb page about the run and that I got lost. At first my parents were like 'how did you get lost on a 5km run', so I tried to explain to them. Then my mum, bless her heart asked 'were you so far out in front that there was no one to follow :D:p:pac:. I sadly had to break it to her that i was so far behind there was no one to follow!!!

Blame the dog.;) People at my local park run are always very nice to me being so slow, saying the dog slows me down. I haven't had the heart yet to explain he's meant to make me go faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I did a parkrun in Scotland recently and they had a tail runner - a person who runs/walks at the very back regardless of pace making sure no one is left out there alone. I thought this was a really nice idea. Does it happen in many places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

dintbo wrote: »
    I did a parkrun in Scotland recently and they had a tail runner - a person who runs/walks at the very back regardless of pace making sure no one is left out there alone. I thought this was a really nice idea. Does it happen in many places?

We have one in Cabinteely most weeks, usually its someone who's injured and can't run so will walk briskly or jog slowly at the back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends on the route as to how required it is and if the event has enough volunteers, but has been a tail runner on every parkrun I've done as far as I can remember.

• Advertisement

Lead bike stays ahead of the first runner and leads the way - it becomes an issue at events with low numbers. It's fair enough saying `follow the person in front' but at events in which runners are spread out quite thinly, this is not practical. Also, say a fast tourist rocks up the week you have no lead bike - how can they be expected to know the course.
    At Stormont, we went over the course again and again and again and noted everywhere we thought someone might need direction - we then got enough direction arrows and marshals to make sure people would not take a wrong turn (excluding those not actually paying attention). We now have permanent signs thanks to the estate and we still marshal tricky junctions, when we can.
    We still have the occasional person taking a wrong turn, and we welcome their feedback to try to ensure it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Waterstown have a tail runner every week and lead bike most weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have to say that a route that is difficult to follow would be off-putting. I know people will say follow the person in front or once you've run it once, you'll know it again. But when you are doing a new parkrun for the first time and the route isn't explained that well or is difficult to follow, it can reduce your enjoyment a little bit.

Agree. I enjoy going and being a tourist and it might be years before I return again, so I don't want to be having to figure out a complicated course.

There's one in Ballincollig most Saturdays, as other people use the park we know that we can start to take stuff down when the tail runner comes in. We use a mixture of signs & marshalls but as people say it took a few goes to get the best positions for the signs.

Must admit I've never seen a lead bike in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Anybody know if the Malahide pr course will need any changes due to the work commencing in the grounds?

How long has Tramore Valley been missing from the map on the official site?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

opus wrote: »
    Must admit I've never seen a lead bike in action.

Seen it a couple of times. Useful if the lead runner doesn't know where he (or she) is going but not much use otherwise.

Pacer for the leader may be another use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Anybody know if the Malahide pr course will need any changes due to the work commencing in the grounds?

I don't think so. The core team haven't been contacted about any potential disruption. Which work are you talking about?

How long has Tramore Valley been missing from the map on the official site?

Around the middle of July, it's only hibernating but didn't seem much point leaving it sit there given it won't be back anytime soon :(

eoinín wrote: »
    I don't think so. The core team haven't been contacted about any potential disruption. Which work are you talking about?

This...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/malahide-demesne-car-park-proposal-approved-1.2718076

Having since found a map of the development

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/part-viii-proposed-forest-adventure-area-multi-use-reinforced-grassed-area-malahide

I think ye might be in the clear. Malahide was my first parkrun experience, it would be a shame to lose it!

Happy birthday to us - Stormont - tomorrow. We are 1. And happy 2nd birthday to Bere Island.

Nice one S, no doubt you'll mark it in style.

They said no to the bouncy castle - but I'm kind of glad. i;d have ended up babysitting runners' kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Athlone had fresh fruit from local supplier and party hats got everyone.. Local paparazzi got the photos in papers so free Advertising for the parkrun

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement