Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

This...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/malahide-demesne-car-park-proposal-approved-1.2718076

Having since found a map of the development

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/part-viii-proposed-forest-adventure-area-multi-use-reinforced-grassed-area-malahide

I think ye might be in the clear. Malahide was my first parkrun experience, it would be a shame to lose it!

yes, it looks like we may just be safe with where the finish area is. We could probably reconfigure the route if needed. We've employed 5 different routes at various points so we should be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

On Saturday, a runner became the first to reach the milestone of having run 50 different parkrun events in Ireland. Same runner has done all 22 up north too.

Not bad eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

edisonolmy wrote: »
    On Saturday, a runner became the first to reach the milestone of having run 50 different parkrun events in Ireland. Same runner has done all 22 up north too.

Not bad eh?

Excellent achievement. Would love to hear his opinion on hardest, easiest, most scenic route etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Excellent achievement. Would love to hear his opinion on hardest, easiest, most scenic route etc.

Absolutely!

This man/woman needs to set up a blog pronto!

A blog has been talked about. I know Bere island is up there towards the top, although not sure if it's his favourite. I know his least favourite as I've run a couple of them with him.

There's a decent blog on the London parkruns
    http://www.blog7t.com/2014/02/the-london-parkruns.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opus wrote: »
    Good news about Washington, I'm going to be there for a week in Oct so was hoping to make the existing parkrun in Fletcher's Cove, the new one will save me 5 miles of jogging (twice) from my friend's place it looks like :)

The official start date, although not quite officially announced yet, for the third of the DC parkruns will be the 15th October so you'll have several to choose from then. If the date works then you could get to bag an inaugural at the same time.

I think I'll raise the possibility of a running club funded trip to DC at our upcoming AGM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

robinph wrote: »
    The official start date, although not quite officially announced yet, for the third of the DC parkruns will be the 15th October so you'll have several to choose from then. If the date works then you could get to bag an inaugural at the same time.

Thanks for the info, I will actually be there on the 15th but as I'm staying with friends in Alexandria, the closest one to there (Roosevelt Island) will get my custom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Free Headphones! (this was in the Parkrun Newsletter today)

Intersport have teamed up with ASICS to offer parkrunners an exclusive FREE pair of ASICS headphones. All you need to do is pop down to your local Intersport store (find your nearest store here) and show us your parkrun barcode - #DFYB!

The exclusive ASICS headphones are in store now and are free for all parkrunners whilst stocks last. They are limited edition so act fast to avoid disappointment…once they’re gone, they’re gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Skid X wrote: »
    Free Headphones! (this was in the Parkrun Newsletter today)

Quite funny really, an English park run has banned dogs, as they have got so many people running now, they feel they are a hazard on the narrow paths they have to use for that particular run. A lot of people have said they wish they would ban headphones, as they feel they are more dangerous than dogs.

I was shouting instructions at runners last week when one screamed back `WHAT?' at the top of her voice - she couldn't hear because of headphones. I am in the `they are a menace' camp. If you are going to run with them, run with just the one in/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

muddypaws wrote: »
    Quite funny really, an English park run has banned dogs, as they have got so many people running now, they feel they are a hazard on the narrow paths they have to use for that particular run. A lot of people have said they wish they would ban headphones, as they feel they are more dangerous than dogs.

Headphones were not banned, then they were banned, then they were kind of banned, now they are maybe banned.

UKA, who provide the insurance cover to UK parkruns, finally came out and said that headphones were banned in races, but they didn't really. It's only in road races, and only in ones where the road is not fully closed to traffic, otherwise it's at the race directors descicion. Was a bit of a pointless statement they came out with in the end and they chickened out of actually banning headphones.
    From that though, a bunch of parkruns then said that headphones were therefore also banned at parkruns. A couple of weeks later they changed the hard ruling and just hoped nobody noticed or were equally confused and would just stop asking about it.

Why do people run with headphones? I'm genuinely interested to know. Is it to distract? Do you find it makes it easier? I used to use them years ago but only improved when I ditched them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I often wear headphone when I'm running. I don't have a running watch so I get an update on my strava through the headphone on each km. But I find I don't really bother with the headphones as much as I used to for my parkrun runs. I know by now where each km is (course isn't marked out). But on a different parkrun course or when I do want to hear my splits as I'm running I just stick one earbud in.

I'm a complete menace, as I run with a dog and earphones, although I only have one in and have the volume down very low. I haven't found my running zen yet, so use it to distract myself from the fact that I am actually running, and the beat of the songs to keep me going. I really struggled last Saturday on the park run after doing my first spin class on the Friday night, Born to Run came on as I was considering walking, then Courage by Tragically Hip, but then even my music admitted defeat and Creep by Radiohead kept me going slowly to the finish line ;) I also have Endomondo on, and so know when I've covered each km, and what pace I'm doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I've always ran with earphones too but the last 2 the rain has been so bad I didn't bring my phone, so no music! Now I have my heavy breathing and internal discussion on stopping to listen to instead, its not quite the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I almost always run with earphones in, either listening to a podcast (mid-week slow run) or a playlist designed to get me moving faster (Parkruns) - would find it fairly hard to enjoy the slog unless I was able to listen to something or other. Obviously many others don't find running that much of a slog, but I'm not sure I'm designed for running past 3km or so, so really need the distraction for the last two km!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I used to run with music but not headphones. I'd just put my phone in the holder, crank up the volume and off i'd go :o It meant i still had situational awareness of the country roads i was on, but music to distract myself and the runkeeper app telling me paces etc. Downside was anybody going past me got an earful of my very mainstream taste in music :p

However since getting my polar watch i have ditched the music and find i really don't miss it now, even on those long runs by myself. i stopped the music as i couldn't hear my watch beep for the km splits (no vibrate function on the polar). I did consider last weekend just gone about putting some music on as i had a long run(24km) and i wasn't sure how i would manage after a crappy week of runs but i was fine without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I used to always run with headphones not always music though sometimes talk radio but was advised to ditch them when trianing for the Marathon, I wasnt keen on the idea at first but I did ditch them and now I don't miss them even on the long runs.

I do believed they helped me when I started running though becaus, (A) I used couch 2 5 k podcasts and (B) the content took my mind off how difficult I found it to run. I still would use them on runs if I was in the mood to listen to something when out.

BTW A dog on a lead is more of a danger than people wearing headphone in a park run IMO so i agree that ban, those retractabel leads are a menace, I've nearly come a cropper a could of times to those, I'd ban those all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I usually run with music/podcasts to beat the boredom.

My one worry, is I find it hides my bad breathing techniques. I notice on runs without music that I am a panter, and it definitely hampers my energy levels. Without music it's more obvious and I concentrate on breathing. Definitely helps me go longer/faster. If you train with music the whole time, you'll only notice the breathing in a race so I definitely advise doing a run every so often without music

• Advertisement

I can't disassociate myself with running, nor do I want to. Music, I agree, would distract you, but I like to think about exactly where I am, exactly what pace I'm doing, what I need to do to get faster, go slower etc.

Someone mentioned a playlist designed to make you run faster - this might also hold you back. The best thing to listen to is your body. It'll tell you if you can push on further whereas a track with a specific BPM will keep you plodding along at that pace.

Our new couch to 5k programme starts next week and I'm already looking forward to telling people to ditch the headphones.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I usually run with music/podcasts to beat the boredom.

My one worry, is I find it hides my bad breathing techniques. I notice on runs without music that I am a panter, and it definitely hampers my energy levels. Without music it's more obvious and I concentrate on breathing. Definitely helps me go longer/faster. If you train with music the whole time, you'll only notice the breathing in a race so I definitely advise doing a run every so often without music
    Do you count out a rhythm with your breathing - one, two, three, breathe etc? As you say, much easier to do/notice when you can hear it

The Muppet wrote: »
    I used to always run with headphones not always music though sometimes talk radio but was advised to ditch them when trianing for the Marathon, I wasnt keen on the idea at first but I did ditch them and now I don't miss them even on the long runs.

I do believed they helped me when I started running though becaus, (A) I used couch 2 5 k podcasts and (B) the content took my mind off how difficult I found it to run. I still would use them on runs if I was in the mood to listen to something when out.

BTW A dog on a lead is more of a danger than people wearing headphone in a park run IMO so i agree that ban, those retractabel leads are a menace, I've nearly come a cropper a could of times to those, I'd ban those all together.
    the rules in parkrun are - one dog per runner, and on a short lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I used to think I couldn't run without music, a podcast or an audiobook to distract me but while training for a half marathon a couple of years ago, I wanted to run without these, as I had seen that headphones weren't allowed in the marathon. It was one of the best things I ever did, not only did it help me concentrate better on what my messages my body was sending me during a run, it also gave me a better feeling of freedom and headspace.

Similarly (but a bit tangentially), I recently got a Forerunner 25 GPS watch - prior to that, I had been bringing my phone on every run to track myself but with the watch, I can leave the phone at home and still have tracking. I cannot describe the feeling of freedom I experience every time I leave the house without a phone! It's glued to me pretty much all day every day so making the decision to abandon it, even for half hour, is liberating.

Sorry for the OT chat but if you are running with music, I would urge you to try a few sessions without it to see how you get on.

I am a big fan of running without a phone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I did two Parkruns without music, as my wireless headphones lost connection near the start in Shanganagh (probably as a consequence of the very heavy foliage nearby during the first 1km lap) - found those two runs extremely tough to get through! My body's continual messages of 'stop running, this isn't fun, our legs are feckin' tired, why not walk for a while?' are much harder to ignore if I'm not being pleasantly distracted in some way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Our new couch to 5k programme starts next week and I'm already looking forward to telling people to ditch the headphones.

Mrs Positron is on W2 of her C25K and she's using NHS podcasts to know when to start running / stop etc - she's is not super keen on wearing the headphones herself, but need it now to know the intervals. Any other headphone-less way of doing this - any recommendations? Thanks!

I suppose if you are doing a podcast C25K, then there's no real way to avoid headphones. We take about 100 people 3 times a year and there are seriously people wearing headphones who can't hear what we are asking them to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The best thing to listen to is your body. It'll tell you if you can push on further .

If I listened to my body I would be staying in bed on a Saturday morning.
    What is this 'push on' concept you speak of? ;)

the rules in parkrun are - one dog per runner, and on a short lead

I've done three different park runs, in two we were the only dog runners, but at Lough Key there were a few others, all on retractable leads. They did keep them short though.

I wear a canicross belt, the dog is on a lead, which I pull in if necessary, so he is right beside me. I believe the rule is a lead of less than 1.8m when fully extended, as some canicross equipment makers are making park run specific leads. However I think that is only for canicross, rather than leads that you hold? Although I've just had a look, and can't see that it says maximum length of lead anywhere, so that may just be some clever marketing.

• Advertisement

In my limited doggy running I was sometimes presented with the dog and a canicross lead, not being used to it though I never used it in the tying it around me manner and just limited how much of the lead he got to run with. This dog is very experienced in running within packs of runners and whilst he obviously runs off like a loon at the start didn't try and fit through gaps in the pack of runners that there wasn't room for the runner he was towing to get through as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

positron wrote: »
    Mrs Positron is on W2 of her C25K and she's using NHS podcasts to know when to start running / stop etc - she's is not super keen on wearing the headphones herself, but need it now to know the intervals. Any other headphone-less way of doing this - any recommendations? Thanks!

Use a watch - the pattern in the early weeks is relatively simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

get a phone holder (armband etc) and put it in that with the volume turned all the way up. that's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I always used to listen to music when I first started running -- I liked listening to songs that mentioned running in the lyrics and had a whole playlist of them. I think I listened to music in my first race or two too (not my first Womens' Mini M, as I was running with a friend, but my first other 5k and 10ks). Then I had a terrible 10k in Manorhamilton where I got a stitch and was too hot and the headphone wires were annoying and none of my songs were right, so I just took my headphones out and carried them. I haven't run a race with them since. Now that I'm a bit more experienced / try to race a bit harder, I can't imagine trying to focus on racing with music on. I would never wear them during any hard or fast run, and I have no problem doing any kind of run with no distractions. However, I love running, and I love music so sometimes I really look forward to going out on a training run with a new playlist or a new album - when I'm running easy, I love combining two things I enjoy so much. Similarly, I sometimes save a good podcast to listen to on my run-commute.
    I used to feel a bit self-conscious doing training runs with headphones as the consensus often seems to be that real runners don't, and maybe they don't, but I keep headphones for my easy days and enjoy them!
    I don't think this makes me more of a menace than a pedestrian listening to headphones, and I still enjoy the run - I can concentrate on easy running / nice scenery etc as well as whatever I'm listening to, but I definitely couldn't concentrate on a race or session with headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

mel.b wrote: »
    get a phone holder (armband etc) and put it in that with the volume turned all the way up. that's what I did.

Eh, no, please don't, then the rest of us have to listen too :o you can always listen through one earphone or keep the volume low enough that you can hear your prompts but still here race/run/parkrun instructions.

+1 to HelenAnne's post although I rarely bring them on any runs now even easy ones, just the odd time and even then it usually reminds me why I prefer to run without them now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

By a decent enough GPS watch. Most Garmin watches enable you to programme and load workouts onto to the watch, which then beeps and vibrates at the start of each interval.

I'm sure my garmin does a lot more than I realise - I only use it to tell me how fast each K split is

So today was my 4th park run since I started 6 weeks ago, and I've managed to knock 2 mins off my original time this morning! Very happy with myself, really working on getting sub 30 by year end, which I know for a lot of people is a walk in the park but not me! Also very happy that I've not yet been defeated by those hills in cabinteely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

So today was my 4th park run since I started 6 weeks ago, and I've managed to knock 2 mins off my original time this morning! Very happy with myself, really working on getting sub 30 by year end, which I know for a lot of people is a walk in the park but not me! Also very happy that I've not yet been defeated by those hills in cabinteely!

Well done!!! I wasn't there this morning, lovely day for it though. Olwyn or Joe often pace 30 mins so you won't be long getting your target and then on to the next one :)

• Advertisement

A question about Parkrun's and distance.

I did my 11th Parkrun at the weekend (go me!). I've got TomTom Runner 2 GPS watch thing.

I start it as soon as I cross the start line and I turn it off as a come over the finishing line. I stick to the course, middle of path all the time. No shortcuts! :D

But my watch has never shown me covering more than 4.8km.

Anyone else do this run and wear a GPS watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

quad_red wrote: »

I did my 11th Parkrun at the weekend (go me!). I've got TomTom Runner 2 GPS watch thing.

I start it as soon as I cross the start line and I turn it off as a come over the finishing line. I stick to the course, middle of path all the time. No shortcuts! :D

Here is an excellent article GPS watches and accuracy - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2016/apr/15/course-accuracy-why-your-gps-watch-isnt-infallible

Mine never shows up the full 5k and I try and stick to the racing line as much as possible but then there are trees, people I pass out, not running the racing line etc etc but I am sure Killerz has measured my parkrun accurately.

Downtime wrote: »

Cheers Downtime.
    Downtime wrote: »
    Mine never shows up the full 5k and I try and stick to the racing line as much as possible but then there are trees, people I pass out, not running the racing line etc etc but I am sure Killerz has measured my parkrun accurately.

Didn't realise Killerz was responsible for Donabate. Anyway - wasn't for a minute suggesting it hadn't been measured correctly. Was more worried I'm taking a totally wonky line or my GPS watch was wonky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it's been mentioned on this thread a few times that gps watches aren't always accurate. Parkrun routes are measured with some special device. My own parkrun usually measures for me around 4.8 or 4.9. Once it measured 5.1! Run trackers are good for a guide and for your own information but I wouldn't be relying on them as 100% gospel. Things can affect them, like tree coverage.

Ps well done on completing 11 parkruns, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Didn't realise Killerz was responsible for Donabate. Anyway - wasn't for a minute suggesting it hadn't been measured correctly.

He is St Anne's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

GPS watches measure a series of data points and then interpolate between them (make up the bit in between). See below for a special example I made using my mad paint skills.

The blue line is the line you actually ran.
    The red dots are the data points your watch recorded.
    The red dotted line is the line it thinks you ran.

396756.png

• Advertisement

GPS watches measure a series of data points and then interpolate between them (make up the bit in between). See below for a special example I made using my mad paint skills.

parkrun_2.jpg

How did you include me in the picture?

Cheers for the info lads.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Cheers Downtime.

Didn't realise Killerz was responsible for Donabate. Anyway - wasn't for a minute suggesting it hadn't been measured correctly. Was more worried I'm taking a totally wonky line or my GPS watch was wonky.

A lot of Tree Cover in parts in Donabate GPS would be hit and miss there with any watch.

GPS isn't always accurate. I get different readings, all in and around 5k, for the same course - tree cover can make it come up short

As an example, used gps on first parkrun in cabinteely, at the end it totalled 2.6km and had me out on N11 at one point! I haven't used it since, not enough coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Jaysus I can't believe the GPS accuracy question keeps coming up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement