Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Did the Marlay Parkrun for the first time today, it was tough but I'm glad I did it. 5km in roughly 35 minutes. When do they put the official results up on the website? They're not there yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Did the Marlay Parkrun for the first time today, it was tough but I'm glad I did it. 5km in roughly 35 minutes. When do they put the official results up on the website? They're not there yet anyway.

They are usually up by early afternoon, but are later sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It depends when the organisers get a chance to collate & upload the results.

It only takes a couple of minutes from when they hit the PR site to when it updates on event site & the emails get generated.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It depends when the organisers get a chance to collate & upload the results.

It only takes a couple of minutes from when they hit the PR site to when it updates on event site & the emails get generated.

They must be just busy today. Nothing yet! I'm guessing it will be tomorrow at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Sometimes the person processing the results has other stuff to be getting on with on a Saturday, so results come out later when they get some free time. Too many runners demand instant results now. i try to get mine done by 11am but it's not always possible - if someone then emails, or puts up a message on FB asking "where are the results", I wait a bit longer out of badness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Marlay results are up there now.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Marlay results are up there now.

Thanks. They went up late last night. 35:29 not too bad for a beginner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

If anyone is looking for a party next Saturday morning, Fr Collins parkrun is having its 1st birthday party in Clongriffin. Cake and some more cake is assured so ye're all welcome.

Ran my PB at Fr Collins event number 1. A brilliant course for fast times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Happy birthday parkrun! Not running today as decided to enjoy a glass(es) of wine last night to celebrate 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems to have been an effort to get local MPs along to parkruns in the UK today for international parkrun day. Think that is a good idea to hopefully get them on side in the event of another Little Stoke situation and get support if any other parish councils kick off trying to charge for park use.

First run without buggy for a while so could go full speed this morning. I'd hoped that full speed would have been a bit quicker, but 1:16 quicker than whilst pushing the buggy will have to do for now.

Tried the Glengarriff one today, won, tough hilly course, scraped sub 20 by a second.

Think I'll retire now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Tried the Glengarriff one today, won, tough hilly course, scraped sub 20 by a second.

Think I'll retire now...

Lovely trails there. I remember them well. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Happy birthday parkrun! Not running today as decided to enjoy a glass(es) of wine last night to celebrate 😉
    Had a good few pints last night, got less than 7 hours sleep and felt less than 100% this morning, so expected a fairly slow time in rainy Shanganagh; managed to beat my PB for the third week in a row :) Very surprised and pleased with myself. Closing in on the magical 50 runs, today was number 48 in a little under two years since the very first 5k I ever ran in St. Annes. Parkrun rocks, happy birthday indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Ran Dundalk park run for the first time today. A deceptively tough course, cold air, flu recovery and lack of running in previous months resulted in a pretty **** time but good to be back at park run events.

• Advertisement

So, after Saturday we now have someone who has now run 54 events in Ireland, but is still 1 shy of the complete set

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Recently moved to kilmainham area, where would be nearest parkrun to here? I'm no good at south side places!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Recently moved to kilmainham area, where would be nearest parkrun to here? I'm no good at south side places!

Waterstown Parkrun would be the closest. Less than 10 min drive. It's out by Palmerstown Village

Dundalk looks like it should be faster than it is - I'm guessing it's always windy, given the wind turbines.

First new event up here in a year starts on saturday coming, in Omagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Dundalk looks like it should be faster than it is - I'm guessing it's always windy, given the wind turbines.

Maybe Parkrun can lobby to turn the turbines off on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Managed to make it this morning, really lovely conditions for a run. A new PB and edging ever closer to getting that sub 30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I took in malahide as part of my long run i arrived after the start but caught up with the backmarkers and c25k groups at the back . It's great to see the support new runners were being given .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I took in malahide as part of my long run i arrived after the start but caught up with the backmarkers and c25k groups at the back . It's great to see the support new runners were being given .

Did the inaugural Omagh event on Saturday. Not as bad a course as it sounded in the description. A great team of volunteers too. They had close to 300 taking part and a lot more out to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Porterstown parkrun celebrates its first birthday this Saturday the 15th.

That was a year ago? I took off like a madman at that last year and managed to hang on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Porterstown parkrun celebrates its first birthday this Saturday the 15th.

I have yet to do this one, 15 mins from my door.... one of these days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Did a Parkrun in Port Elizabeth in South Africa while on holiday last Saturday. They do it at 8am. 631 people, incredible really. Their one next week is cancelled so many of them will travel for 2-3 hours to get to their nearest one.

They had a visitors book which I'd never seen anywhere else. Nice idea to keep track of all the international visitors.

That was a year ago? I took off like a madman at that last year and managed to hang on

I was a volunteer that day. I couldn't run it because I was injured.

Quote:

No time like this weekend then AM!! Loads of cake and other goodies promised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

They had a visitors book which I'd never seen anywhere else. Nice idea to keep track of all the international visitors.

That sounds like a cool idea.

There was a tourist at parkrun Knocknacarra in Galway last Saturday from Western Australia. It was her 122nd parkrun and she is in the 75-79 age category... What a legend!!

• Advertisement

I would really but not free this Saturday :rolleyes: in fact my next free Saturday is 19th November.... better stick it in the diary so :) #somanyparkrunssolittletime..

Quote:

You were on the watch, if I recall correctly. Thanks for the early click...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

I was there that day as well. I remember edisonolmy running off in to the distance and Wubble Wubble calling out lap times.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Actually, Dundalk is quite a slow course. Few deceptive slight hills and plenty of corners to keep you twisting and turning.

Could any of the regular Dublin based runners of Parkrun recommend their local Parkrun? Looking to try out one or two different ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Shanganagh is a nice one. Very flat, 1k lap and 2 2k laps. All on asphalt. Small enough; 120-150 participants. A few kids, dogs, buggys, walkers.
    If you're at the pointy end there's usually 5 to 10 finishing sub20. (20:10 is my PB since Saturday, looks like I have a new target...)

Cabinteely has a few speed bumps but is very pretty (see here for proof :) ) and the volunteers are ridiculously friendly. There's also a gorgeous cafe for post run refreshments. Do try it!

Of the Dublin ones I've done, I liked St Anne's, Tymon, Shanganagh, Fr Collins and Porterstown, as they are all quick. Waterstown was good too, but tough.

I was there that day as well. I remember edisonolmy running off in to the distance and Wubble Wubble calling out lap times.
    and me guessing that the soccer team was called Knocklyon Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've only done 2 Dublin, St.Anne's and Marley - St.Anne's is about 30 seconds faster for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have only done two, Marlay and Tymon.
    Marlay is bigger, a few hundred people every week. Fairly big hill in the first k, then downhill in the second, pretty flat afterwards.
    Tymon is usually about 100 people, give or take. Overall flatter, though there is a gradual rise over the last mile that will hurt.

Porterstown is the fastest parkrun in Ireland :)

Poppintree and Hartstown are also fast and flat, but Porterstown is a better course IMO.

For a more testing course, try Waterstown, Ardgillan or Cabinteely.

I haven't attempted River Valley, Father Collins or Donabate as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

I do the Swords one and really enjoy it. It is 1.8 laps of River Valley Park. There is quite a hill that you have to do twice, but its made up for with the descent at the other side of the park. Think they get about 40-70 each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

cjt156 wrote: »
    Shanganagh is a nice one. Very flat, 1k lap and 2 2k laps. All on asphalt. Small enough; 120-150 participants. A few kids, dogs, buggys, walkers.
    If you're at the pointy end there's usually 5 to 10 finishing sub20. (20:10 is my PB since Saturday, looks like I have a new target...)
    You finished immediately ahead of me last week I think, and probably would have passed me out at some stage during the 2nd lap (I tend to run my 1st km quicker than the rest) :)

Porterstown is the fastest parkrun in Ireland :)

Poppintree and Hartstown are also fast and flat, but Porterstown is a better course IMO.

For a more testing course, try Waterstown, Ardgillan or Cabinteely.

I haven't attempted River Valley, Father Collins or Donabate as yet.
    I was a good 40 seconds quicker at Fr Collins than Porterstown

I think I might try to get around to completing the Dublin set, after I get around to the counties I've not visited yet. might take me a year, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I wonder if Oldbridge ran into technical difficulties after Saturdays run, results still not updated.

Possibly, or maybe they just haven't got around to it

I think I might try to get around to completing the Dublin set, after I get around to the counties I've not visited yet. might take me a year, however.

Best of luck with it S. I had the Dublin set completed from June to October 2015, when Father Collins, Donabate and Porterstown all started within a couple of weeks of each other IIRC. Maybe after DCM I'll get around to filling it up again.

If all goes according to plan, someone will complete the full set (again) on Saturday, when they run Dungloe - that's 55 in Ireland and another 23 in NI. They had the full set years ago before loads of events started launching.
    It's ongoing though, with Rostrevor and Gorey expected in the next six weeks or so.

Best of luck with it S. I had the Dublin set completed from June to October 2015, when Father Collins, Donabate and Porterstown all started within a couple of weeks of each other IIRC. Maybe after DCM I'll get around to filling it up again.
    I still don't even have the full Belfast set - never got around to Colin Glen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement