Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Sub 30 with the buggy at Highbury Fields this morning (29:47) - rather happy with that because there were a pair of total gimps that kept trying to cut across the front wheel of the buggy on the turns!
    Knock the fockers down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the buggy run, but not a very nice way to refer to your fellow parkrunners... as well as being derogatory to people who have physical impairments.

I don't know that it's derogatory to anyone, actually. As far as I know, 'gimp' isn't pejorative towards anyone apart from men in leather bodysuits with zippered mouths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

davedanon wrote:
    I don't know that it's derogatory to anyone, actually. As far as I know, 'gimp' isn't pejorative towards anyone apart from men in leather bodysuits with zippered mouths.

No wonder they were running all over the place if they couldn't breathe right.
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

davedanon wrote: »

gimp2
    ɡɪmp/
    NORTH AMERICANinformalderogatory
    noun
    noun: gimp; plural noun: gimps
    a physically disabled or lame person.
    a limp.
    a feeble or contemptible person.

Maybe in a north American context as per its origins, but ask anyone in Europe/UK what 'gimp' means and they'll cite Pulp Fiction. Guaranteed.

• Advertisement

The thread has effectively been derailed at this stage, so I'm not going to discuss this anymore on here.

To bring this back on topic, was lovely conditions in Johnstown Castle. Bigger crowd than usual.

We have just got a big whiteboard, 4x4 foot showing next 3 weeks broken down by roles to get more volunteers. Hopefully will attract more newbie volunteers & not be relying on the same faces the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That whiteboard is a good idea

Problem with PR is that the emails are an opt-in & many won't get them.

Seeing it looking blank for following weeks might further highlight that it depends on helpers to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

spot of tourism yesterday, and had to contend with a wedding party in fancy dress who decided to take up the entire path on the second lap. meant having to run through mucky grass on a corner. It could have been disastrous. I should have actually juts cut the corner massively to make up for the 80m extra they have on this course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

edisonolmy wrote: »
    spot of tourism yesterday, and had to contend with a wedding party in fancy dress who decided to take up the entire path on the second lap. meant having to run through mucky grass on a corner. It could have been disastrous. I should have actually juts cut the corner massively to make up for the 80m extra they have on this course...

So..... what parkrun did you actually do??? ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Love people moanin bout free stuff on the interweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

martyboy48 wrote: »
    So..... what parkrun did you actually do??? ☺

Sounds like Tramore, where the Tymon event director's wedding celebrations included participating in the local parkrun. Fair play.

Burnley. Nice course. They changed it recently. Good mix of trail, tarmac and a bit of grass.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sounds like Tramore, where the Tymon event director's wedding celebrations included participating in the local parkrun. Fair play.

Ah, that's Ash and Rob. Great bunch of lads. Meanwhile, a spot* of course-cutting by an unrepentant winner at Tymon on Saturday. "It's only a parkrun", was the reply apparently. His questioner was a rather good athlete just getting back into it after 6 months doing nothing. Looking forward to a bit of come-uppance.

* more than a spot.

As a run director I'd have not included his result, and given him "it's only a parkrun" as my reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ah, that's Ash and Rob. Great bunch of lads. Meanwhile, a spot* of course-cutting by an unrepentant winner at Tymon on Saturday. "It's only a parkrun", was the reply apparently. His questioner was a rather good athlete just getting back into it after 6 months doing nothing. Looking forward to a bit of come-uppance.

* more than a spot.

How much a shortcut was it??

According to my source, it wasn't full-on course cutting, but it was a good bit more than putting one foot off the path on a corner. He would have won in any case, but that's irrelevant in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

According to my source, it wasn't full-on course cutting, but it was a good bit more than putting one foot off the path on a corner. He would have won in any case, but that's irrelevant in my book.

Can you enlighten us - how do you cut the course in a "not full on" way? Genuine question. Is it as bad as the lad at the Masters XC last year who ran on the tarmac instead of the mud?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Can you enlighten us - how do you cut the course in a "not full on" way? Genuine question. Is it as bad as the lad at the Masters XC last year who ran on the tarmac instead of the mud?

Delighted to enlighten you, Murph. I would have thought it fairly simple. I mean that he cut more than a metre or two, by which I mean at least 15-20 metres, yet not as much as 150-200 metres, which to me is real course-cutting. As in, you take a different and shorter route, rather than cutting corners. All clear now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Delighted to enlighten you, Murph. I would have thought it fairly simple. I mean that he cut more than a metre or two, by which I mean at least 15-20 metres, yet not as much as 150-200 metres, which to me is real course-cutting. As in, you take a different and shorter route, rather than cutting corners. All clear now?

took a shortcut at Hanlon's corner? or around by the mast?

RayCun wrote: »
    took a shortcut at Hanlon's corner? or around by the mast?

I need to clarify that I didn't see it, but the 3rd place finisher said he was taking the piss at several corners. We're talking 15 or 20 metres in total I suppose. Which isn't insignificant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Did he happen to complain at the end that his Garmin indicated that the course was short??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Gorey Parkrun is scheduled to start on 26th November. Their Facebook page has gone live. Not up on the Parkrun website yet though

The official parkrun sites typically go live about 3 weeks before the first event. I wouldn't have minded doing Gorey's inaugural, but I'm away that weekend. Talk is Rostrevor in Co Down will also start that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Chipped another chunk off my buggy PB today, down to 29:05 this morning. Had a great chat afterwards with a guy who was running with a chunky 2 year old in a Bugaboo. :)

Duzzie wrote: »
    Gorey Parkrun is scheduled to start on 26th November. Their Facebook page has gone live. Not up on the Parkrun website yet though

It will be in the Town Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chipped another chunk off my buggy PB today, down to 29:05 this morning. Had a great chat afterwards with a guy who was running with a chunky 2 year old in a Bugaboo. :)

Great work, I'm almost sub 30, it's tantalisingly close! Next week I'm doing the Movember run so i'm hoping the reduced uphills will finally give me that time

Won by almost 3 minutes yesterday.

I'm telling everyone, so figured I should tell ye too...

• Advertisement

Did you rearrange the direction arrows there Conor? :P

Well done on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Won by almost 3 minutes yesterday.

I'm telling everyone, so figured I should tell ye too...

Finished first? :) sure well done anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Can anyone recommend somewhere for a spot of parkrun tourism? We were thinking of a weekend away next month, the hotel we wanted was booked out. So next plan was a weekend we always talked about doing which was stay in Carrick on Shannon, do Lough key parkrun and spend the day in Lough Key Forest Park - but the Landmark hotel is booked out. (Is the recession over)
    So any suggestions for a spot of parkrun tourism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere for a spot of parkrun tourism? We were thinking of a weekend away next month, the hotel we wanted was booked out. So next plan was a weekend we always talked about doing which was stay in Carrick on Shannon, do Lough key parkrun and spend the day in Lough Key Forest Park - but the Landmark hotel is booked out. (Is the recession over)
    So any suggestions for a spot of parkrun tourism?

Erris is different, its on a road, but nice circular route, gorgeous views of the area if its a clear day, not sure what it would be like on a wet or windy day lol. There is a hotel in Belmullet that apparently is great, my old boss used to find excuses to go over there just to stay in it, The Talbot.

My local park run is Ballina, in Belleek woods, its an up and back run, but nice, through the woods and along the river, and Belleek Castle hotel is on site, so you could walk to the start, back to your room for a nice shower afterwards. Maybe pop into Connacht Whiskey, the distillery is at the start and finish of the park run, near the football club.

The only other one I've done is Oranmore, nice course, its a double loop, but obviously lots to do around there and plenty of places to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks Ballina sounds quite nice. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind.

The Landmark Hotel phoned us back with a cancellation so booked now for next month. Looking forward to Lough Key - haven't been there in years, just hoping the weather won't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Thanks Ballina sounds quite nice. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind.

The Landmark Hotel phoned us back with a cancellation so booked now for next month. Looking forward to Lough Key - haven't been there in years, just hoping the weather won't be too bad.

Ah brilliant, Lough Key would definitely be my first choice. :)

• Advertisement

Finished first? :) sure well done anyway!

No Wubble, won!

There's not too many 5km runs in the SW, and certainly none other that I finish first in...so I chalk it down as a win. In fact, I think there should be large cash prizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Thinking of doing Castletown parkrun in a couple of weeks. Had a look at the course map on the parkrun website, no mention of hills - my regular parkrun is Waterstown so no/less hills would be nice for a change.
    Would any regular Castletown parkrunners have any info on the course...tough, moderate etc? Also, is it suitable for buggys?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Thinking of doing Castletown parkrun in a couple of weeks. Had a look at the course map on the parkrun website, no mention of hills - my regular parkrun is Waterstown so no/less hills would be nice for a change.
    Would any regular Castletown parkrunners have any info on the course...tough, moderate etc? Also, is it suitable for buggys?
    Thanks

A few gradual inclines, nothing too hilly at all.
    Suitable for buggies also. There's always a few each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Headed north for the Bank Holiday weekend. Antrim town Parkrun for myself and the wife on the Saturday. Lovely run along river and then into the Castlegrounds for two laps. Beautiful setting and well attended. Portrush Junior Parkrun for the kids on Sunday. An out an back course across the beach. 150 kids, many in fancy dress. My kids found it tough but clocked up PBs for 2k junior Parksruns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Thanks

It's a nice course, did it over 2 weeks ago. Not that suitable for buggies if it rains heavily but otherwise fine. Concrete path the whole way.

Some hills but generally is a flat enough course.

So easy to get there too, have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I've been meaning to post these photos for ages. I visited Reykjavik in May and came across the parkrun route close to where we were staying in the suburbs. It was suspended due to lack of daylight, then cancelled all together (not sure why they couldn't just keep it as a spring/summer fixture?) but the signs are still in place and I ran it a few times. It's a spectacular setting and a challenging enough route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Took part in my first park run in shanganagh this morning, beautiful conditions and nice to see so many people out. Many thanks to the volunteers if they read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Gorey parkrun has gone live on the parkrun website. First run is 26th November. Fills a big parkrun gap between Dublin and wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone else think the times for St.Annes are a bit off today? My official time was 20s faster than my watch - hopefully it's right, but suspect it's not. And probably sets me a PB I'll never beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I didn't do parkrun this morning as I did movember run, but a huge thank you for parkrun as because of them I managed to get a sub 30 for the first time ever! All the encouragement and support over the last few months have helped so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the times for St.Annes are a bit off today? My official time was 20s faster than my watch - hopefully it's right, but suspect it's not. And probably sets me a PB I'll never beat

My garnin stats looked fine compared to my official parkrun time though I forgot to start my watch until the first corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Finsbury Parkrun with the buggy today - hills are not my strong point, ended up walking up the steep hill on each lap! No sub 30 this time but it's a harder course than my usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Looks like the New Year's Day double is possible again this (next) year in Belfast with Stormont at 0930 and Waterworks at 1100 declared so far. Might be useful for anyone who's up that way over the new year:
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/christmas-compendium/
    Not much up on parkrun Ireland's list yet, but hopefully there will be a few Christmas and New Year runs declared over the next few weeks:
    http://www.parkrun.ie/christmas-compendium/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

The awkward moment you pull your shopping list out of your pocket rather than your barccode to be scanned. Sickened I brought the wrong piece of paper. Had run a PB and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Shedite27 wrote: »

Myself and wife official times were in line with our watches. I'm not aware of any issues but drop them an email if you need it looked in to - could be a funnel/ token issue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement